• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Bad experience with timeshare [rental agent] RUTH HUNT

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
If there was ever a that screamed for an ignore button, to skip the entire topic this one takes the cake

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
nydvc - It is really difficult to understand what happened to you. If you want us to understand, I suggest you write it out like this and be very brief:

Feb. 1 - Contacted owner through Redweek Ad.

Feb. 2 - Received email from owner and he directed my to a Rental Agent that rents his points for him.

Feb. 2 - Emailed Rental Agent

Feb. 5 - Received email from rental Agent and they said they would go to work on my rental and have the reservation by Feb. 10

Feb. 11- No work from Rental Agent - sent them an email

Feb. 13 - Still no word - sent another email

Feb. 15 - Received email from Rental Agent - they said they were working on it

etc.

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
To each his / her own "likes"...

I like cake....

And I like clarity and specificity in coherent TUG posts, particularly in those "complaining" about others.

As Mick Jagger once sang in an old Rolling Stones song, "You can't always get what you want".
I most certainly haven't gotten what I want while trying to make any sense of this cryptic thread... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

nydvc

Reaction score
nydvc - It is really difficult to understand what happened to you. If you want us to understand, I suggest you write it out like this and be very brief:

I went on wydham owner com and PM member about recomendations for someone to rent points. It was a large pioster. Developed a internet friendship and asked about Him renting. He refered me to this person who he uses. Lets call her F. .

sent couple of emails....no response. contacted friend and received response from F within a hour. traded few emails over next couple of days about renting. A couple of emails from F made it clear I should act fast to make sure I got the size unit I wanted. needed to wait a couple of weeks for 10 month mark. Sent personal details and requested her information to send a deposit. she declined said wait till I get reservation.

Waited to 10 months, sent few emails over 2-3 weeks requesting response. got short email stating she was on vacation and would get back to me next week.

After three additional weeks and at least three emails from me, all polite mind you. Nothing.

Sent email to my friend explaining that I would love to rent from him but would not work with F anymore.

Got email from friend and F. F's email stated she was busy. My reservation was not on top of her list and I should be more understanding. This was 6 weeks after deciding on price, giving her details, AND waiting for the 10 month mark.

I responded that waiting any longer was a ridiculous thought.

--------------

Hope this helps.

I do appreciate the posts. I am learning more about renting. thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

nydvc

Reaction score
And I like clarity and specificity in coherent TUG posts, particularly in those "complaining" about others.

As Mick Jagger once sang in an old Rolling Stones song, "You can't always get what you want"... :rolleyes:

Yeah. I am sorry. I guess I am hesitant to just blurt everything out. But I did get what I wanted from another rental agent.....:)

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
nydvc - Those were not questions in my post - I was suggesting that you use that as a model to explain what happened to you. I am going to remove my lines from your post for clarity.

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
ENUF ALREADY! If you want to warn people off a business, simply say, "I had difficulty renting from______________. It took XX months and I ended up renting from someone else."

And be done with it. The no-name rant is simply sour grapes. OP, you've accomplished nothing except get a load off your chest and learned about renting from a private party who doesn't treat their 'business' as a business. You've warned no one.

nydvc

Reaction score
nydvc - Those were not questions in my post - I was suggesting that you use that as a model to explain what happened to you. I am going to remove my lines from your post for clarity.

Thanks, please do if that helps. I don't mean to make this so confusing.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
ENUF ALREADY! If you want to warn people off a business, simply say, "I had difficulty renting from______________. It took XX months and I ended up renting from someone else."

And be done with it. The no-name rant is simply sour grapes. OP, you've accomplished nothing except get a load off your chest and learned about renting from a private party who doesn't treat their 'business' as a business. You've warned no one.

Please note that I asked him to clarify...

Last edited:

nydvc

Reaction score

I understand your frustration. my original question was about where do I post that? and is it OK to post that. I have looked around tug and redweek and some other rental sites and I don't really see a place for rating experiences with renters, etc. Jumping on this board and just posting I hate so and so seemed rude to me.

and Yes, this does help me get a load off my chest. It was frustrating.

Last edited:

BocaBum99

TUG Member
Reaction score
I went on wydham owner com and PM member about recomendations for someone to rent points. It was a large pioster. Developed a internet friendship and asked about Him renting. He refered me to this person who he uses. Lets call her F. .

sent couple of emails....no response. contacted friend and received response from F within a hour. traded few emails over next couple of days about renting. A couple of emails from F made it clear I should act fast to make sure I got the size unit I wanted. needed to wait a couple of weeks for 10 month mark. Sent personal details and requested her information to send a deposit. she declined said wait till I get reservation.

Waited to 10 months, sent few emails over 2-3 weeks requesting response. got short email stating she was on vacation and would get back to me next week.

After three additional weeks and at least three emails from me, all polite mind you. Nothing.

Sent email to my friend explaining that I would love to rent from him but would not work with F anymore.

Got email from friend and F. F's email stated she was busy. My reservation was not on top of her list and I should be more understanding. This was 6 weeks after deciding on price, giving her details, AND waiting for the 10 month mark.

I responded that waiting any longer was a ridiculous thought.

Hope this helps.

I do appreciate the posts. I am learning more about renting. thank you.

etc.

You should just move on. If you don't have a reservation within a day or two, move on to the next owner.

If the owner says they can get you something, then say this simple phrase: "If you can get the unit for me by Tuesday, I'll offer you $XXX. If I don't hear from you by Tuesday, I'll assume you can't get it or lost interest in renting to me and I will find another unit to rent from someone else."

Your mistake was tying yourself to a single potential renter. You can't do that on the internet. Buyers and sellers are very flaky. Always give people a deadline .

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This is my interpretation of what happened:

-Your rental was small, so the Rental Agent was making very little money on it - she may have been doing it as a favor to her client (the owner.)

-The Rental Agent got busy, went on vacation etc., and your little rental went to the bottom of the pile.

-You ratted the Rental Agent off to the owner, he asked her about it, and it was awkward for her, so she was rude to you. (No excuse for that.)

Here is my suggestion with a rental: Don't ever let anyone drag you out this way. If they tell you they will have the reservation at the 10 month mark, and they don't, simply send them one more email telling them you are no longer interested and walk away. Wyndham rentals are a dime a dozen.

Good luck! :hi:

Last edited:

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Something good always comes out of something bad................

I not only found out who not to rent from, but received a very good lead on who/whom to deal with when it comes time for me to rent a Wyndham Beach Street Cottage unit in Destin.

Late edit: I can deal with impoliteness to a point, but when an agent is delaying in getting back to me on something they assured me about while my travel plans (plane or train) are in jeopardy, that creates a real problem.

Last edited:

Timeshare Von

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
<<snipped>>

do you think this is too minor of an issue to bother with?

Yes it is. People can be cranky for an assortment of reasons. I'm sorta feeling cranky this morning myself. :)

nydvc

Reaction score
You should just move on. If you don't have a reservation within a day or two, move on to the next owner.

If the owner says they can get you something, then say this simple phrase: "If you can get the unit for me by Tuesday, I'll offer you $XXX. If I don't hear from you by Tuesday, I'll assume you can't get it or lost interest in renting to me and I will find another unit to rent from someone else."

Your mistake was tying yourself to a single potential renter. You can't do that on the internet. Buyers and sellers are very flaky. Always give people a deadline .

Good suggestion, thanks, appreciate it.

This is my interpretation of what happened:

-Your rental was small, so the Rental Agent was making very little money on it - she may have been doing it as a favor to her client (the owner.)

-The Rental Agent got busy, went on vacation etc., and your little rental went to the bottom of the pile.

-You ratted the Rental Agent off to the owner, he asked her about it, and it was awkward for her, so she was rude to you. (No excuse for that.)

Here is my suggestion with a rental: Don't ever let anyone drag you out this way. If they tell you they will have the reservation at the 10 month mark, and they don't, simply send them one more email telling them you are no longer interested and walk away. Wyndham rentals are a dime a dozen.

Good luck! :hi:

definitely a small rental and the fact she did not get back to me until the owner emailed her does tell me she probable was doing it as a favor.

thanks for your help dragging out was my mistake. I waited too long. last time that happens.

flexible

TUG Member
Reaction score
[Added at the OP's request]

"I have attempted to rent from Ruth Hunt with disastrous results. She would email and tell me she would get back to me and never follow through. After weeks of attempting to contact her about this, I got an angry response explaining how "busy" she was and would get with me when she had a chance. If your looking for service I would look elsewhere. "

--------

Hello;

I had a bad experience with an individual timeshare rental person. This person rents other people timeshares and I want to get my experience noted so others may be warned. Are there any options? Is there a forum for posting things like that here or on redweek?

I had such a bad experience I really feel like people should know.

any recommendations?

Thanks for the headsup!
Is this the same Ruth Hunt?
http://www.tripadvisor.com/RentalPropertyManager-a_manager.163570

How do people sign up as "Rental Property Managers" on TripAdvisor.com?

nydvc

Reaction score
Thanks for the headsup!
Is this the same Ruth Hunt?
http://www.tripadvisor.com/RentalPropertyManager-a_manager.163570

How do people sign up as "Rental Property Managers" on TripAdvisor.com?

YES:

I am positive of it, but It does not have a phone number listed so I cant prove it. but she has a number of resorts listed around.

and I dont know how to sign up for that. I was trying to find a way of reviewing her and I could not on that site. Flipkey. I could review resorts but not renters.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A gentle suggestion: for clarity, I'd call her a "rental agent" rather than a renter. In this case, you were the renter.

nydvc

Reaction score
A gentle suggestion: for clarity, I'd call her a "rental agent" rather than a renter. In this case, you were the renter.

true...... got it. I am the renter (attempted renter that is) she is the rental agent. thanks

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is Ruth Hunt on TUG that we know of?

NTHC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Panama City Beach, Las Vegas, Massanutten
Resorts Owned
Grandview Las Vegas, Regal Vista, Wyndham, Bluegreen, Diamond
I am responding to this post to say that I have rented to and from Ruth Hunt for many years and all transactions have gone smoothly.

I do not know her personally or how or where she gets her inventory but I think it is important when using someone's name in public that there is a distinction between someone coming off as "rude" versus a "scam", or someone who is trying to harm another person.

I did find this thread a bit hard to follow so I just wanted to post my personal experiences.

JMHO,

Cindy

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
All I could think of reading this thread is...I wonder if the owner the op was talking about was me... I do use a service to help me rent my points.I dont know if Ruth Hunt works for them or not

[crude joke deleted]

Sorry, I thought it was funny then and I guess I still do

In any case if the op wants to find somebody to rent from, she should just post something on the rentals wanted forum....I bet she gets several private messages offering services

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
All I could think of reading this thread is...I wonder if the owner the op was talking about was me... I do use a service to help me rent my points.I dont know if Ruth Hunt works for them or not

[crude joke deleted]

In any case if the op wants to find somebody to rent from, she should just post something on the rentals wanted forum....I bet she gets several private messages offering services

Ron, I didn't think that you had that humor in you! I was expecting the phone prank name to be Al Koholik. :)

benyu2010

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am responding to this post to say that I have rented to and from Ruth Hunt for many years and all transactions have gone smoothly.

I do not know her personally or how or where she gets her inventory but I think it is important when using someone's name in public that there is a distinction between someone coming off as "rude" versus a "scam", or someone who is trying to harm another person.

I did find this thread a bit hard to follow so I just wanted to post my personal experiences.

JMHO,

Cindy

Denise sums it up really well and it seems be the most accurate account of OP's experience. JMO, renting timeshares require the basic knowledge of both sides and may save a lot of hassels and misunderstanding through communications. I'm in no way to say it's fault of OP to have a bad experience, but I believe this whole situation is avoidable if OP has some experience of dealing with rental agent, and rental agent communicates a bit more professionally in a timely manner.