• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Aulani DVC points on ebay

Twinkstarr

TUG Member
Reaction score
My dime.... :rolleyes:

When someone exchanges into DVC, they are doing so at a discount, but that discount is being subsidized by the individual who deposited their points into RCI to exchange elsewhere, not you.

You must be the guy in the hot tub that loses it when he finds out someone exchanged into the property!;) In Vero Beach, two couples I talked with didn't even know you could exchange into DVC. We liked the place so much that we are looking into buying DVC points for the assurance of reservations and flexibilty that RCI exchanges doesn't offer.

You would be surprised at what the average DVC owner doesn't know.

As a VB owner an early "welcome home ". Just take a deep breath when the MF bill shows up.

Icydog is a lady.

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm low class, but if and when I trade into a DVC resort, I will take good care of it just like I owned it. So I'll suppose she is not talking about me.

krmlaw

TUG Member
Reaction score
WOW ... love how some people think they are better than others. we routinely trade into DVC and into other RCI accounts. I have met so many wonderful people. Its people like THAT without class ...

Ill continue to trade into DVC, and cant wait to go to Aulani! Ill trade there for a fraction of the cost, and wont apologize one second for it!

fluke

TUG Member
Reaction score
Irony

The real irony is that Michael was within the DVC max capacity for the Grand Californian - the tirade was really not warranted.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Can't we all be friends???? Reading all this makes me need a vacation.

gnorth16

TUG Member
Reaction score
...named Marilyn. And if you go back and search her posts here and on DISboards, you'll find that she harbors a white hot hatred for the "low class" people exchanging in via RCI. Here's a representative example:

http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=29017306&postcount=80

Yikes!:D

Just because someone didn't pay full freight or exchanged into a resort, doesn't mean they are of a lower/different class or have less respect for the property. How people treat property is more similar to how they treat others...:wave:

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm sure the feeling is fairly common among DVC owners.

Not with the Mouseowners that I run with. We are just mad that we pay so much for what others seem to have a gift at getting on the cheap. It's made me and others decide rather than buy more, we will just trade in with RCI.

Current rumor is that DVC will soon unleash DVC Elite for direct purchasers. I imagine that if those weeks go into RCI, DVC members will really be pissed off.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Current rumor is that DVC will soon unleash DVC Elite for direct purchasers. I imagine that if those weeks go into RCI, DVC members will really be pissed off.

What is DVC Elite rumored to be?

Twinkstarr

TUG Member
Reaction score
What is DVC Elite rumored to be?

It is the rumors starting with the DVC Grand Floridian, it could be all concierge level rooms or it could be a new section of DVC ie DVC II that would require points purchased in that club. Or if you bought your points resale they couldn't be used at DVC GF. Perhaps some sort of set up like the NYC Hiltons comes to mind.

Same sort of "new level of DVC" talk went on with the building of BLT.

My guess is that a new batch of resale restrictions are in the works, DVC GF or not.

The tiered benefits discussion that had everyone's knickers in a twist, died a quick death with the departure of Jim Lewis. And rumors have it that Claire B. has pushed it to the backburner if not off the stove.

The tinfoil hat wearing members were all trying to figure out why some didn't get the DCL DVC member discount on June sailings of the Fantasy earlier this week. Of course the real reason some didn't get this had nothing to do with resale contracts but Disney's IT system. Some members, even with every point bought direct never get DVC emails.

Twinkstarr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Also I remember pre-VGC, rumor had it that it would only be sold to DVC members. Demand was going to be so great that nothing would be left to sell to non-DVC owners.

There are a couple of people here on TUG who bought WDW DVC contracts to make sure the were "in" prior to VGC sales starting. And these are people who live on the west coast.

And there was a time that VGC was the loss leader in the DVC sales world. Couple of Disney brides looking for Orlando DVC points were being pushed toward VGC by DVC sales.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
It would not be unprecedented to create some sort of new tier. This is effectively what Wyndham did with Presidential Reserve---it's a completely separate points product/set of inventory that happens to have 1:1 exchange value with the "original" FairShare Plus. But, the exchange landscape is tilted to the PR members---they effectively have 10 month access to all of FSP, but compensating inventory made available to FSP members is chosen by Wyndham to protect high-demand PR inventory.

It's really pretty clever, and set up so that *only* developer purchasers have access.

That said, I think the chances that DVC goes this far are pretty low, though I also do expect some further resale screw-tightening around the margins. For the most part, DVD is just in a better position than nearly any other developer, because they have such an insanely large "captive audience" that they can sell to---none of whom know the first thing about how timeshares really work.

Twinkstarr

TUG Member
Reaction score
That said, I think the chances that DVC goes this far are pretty low, though I also do expect some further resale screw-tightening around the margins. For the most part, DVD is just in a better position than nearly any other developer, because they have such an insanely large "captive audience" that they can sell to---none of whom know the first thing about how timeshares really work.

I think the "resale screw-tightening" is a bet I would take. Now what those new restrictions would be I haven't really gave it much consideration.

We need Tomandrobin to stop in and discuss their Member Cruise from last year. A lot of buying going on, and I think he mentioned resale to a few and he got the funny looks.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
what those new restrictions would be I haven't really gave it much consideration.
The obvious place to chip away is at the Member discounts. The ones meant to drive new business (i.e. "weekday lunch at World Showcase restaurants") are safer than others (i.e. the AP discount.) In particular, I'd like to know which entity pays the Parks division for that AP discount---DVD or DVCMC. I suspect the former just due to the legalities of it all, and if so that's a very easy target.

But, as with any of the other "resale differentiators" that any developer uses, the real value of the lost perk will be dwarfed by the savings in purchasing resale in almost all cases.

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
The DVC salespeople are saying that the new properties will be in a different club. We know Grand Floridian is being built. Something is happening at the Poly and I've read that it is DVC, but DVC hasn't made any announcements about that.

I think it is reasonable that these 2 properties would be in a different club, like the concierge club. What the salespeople are saying is that you have to buy direct into that club, or have previously bought your DVC contract direct in order to have access. I still think those will be available to trade in via RCI.

HGVC made New York a slightly different part of their membership. People pay the big bucks to own there. And other just trade in via the exchange companies.

EDIT TO ADD: There is supposed to be a better DVC points for cruise and Adventures by Disney in the near future, as well. I don't think they are taking away from the resale contracts. What they are doing is adding to the direct purchase contracts.

Last edited:

Twinkstarr

TUG Member
Reaction score
The DVC salespeople are saying that the new properties will be in a different club. We know Grand Floridian is being built. Something is happening at the Poly and I've read that it is DVC, but DVC hasn't made any announcements about that.

I think it is reasonable that these 2 properties would be in a different club, like the concierge club. What the salespeople are saying is that you have to buy direct into that club, or have previously bought your DVC contract direct in order to have access. I still think those will be available to trade in via RCI.

HGVC made New York a slightly different part of their membership. People pay the big bucks to own there. And other just trade in via the exchange companies.

EDIT TO ADD: There is supposed to be a better DVC points for cruise and Adventures by Disney in the near future, as well. I don't think they are taking away from the resale contracts. What they are doing is adding to the direct purchase contracts.

Well not that I'm a big fan of either the GF or Poly and am a direct purchase owner of a nice size point package it doesn't matter to me. But for people who have a mixture of direct and resale contracts I wonder if you just get the big red R marketed on your whole account or by contract. I can see this being sort of messy if they go that way.

I remember point morphing with transferred points, you were a BCV owner Oct UY and transferred in VWL points June UY and they would magically change into BCV points with your UY.

I can see them pulling a "resale after x date is no longer eligible for the DVC AP discount". As for ABD and DCL being a little better point deal, I'll wait and see. Way back in the day when we bought, HAL was a cruise partner and the point conversion for Alaska cruises was something I would consider. It was a better deal than the conversion for DCL.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
The DVC salespeople are saying that the new properties will be in a different club.
Well, like I said, it would not be unprecedented, but a salesperson saying it certainly doesn't make it so---especially because what they are telling you just happens to be one more reason to close a sale with them. Same with the better internal exchange charts "someday soon". DVC's weasels are better than most, but they are still weasels---and getting more so with each passing year.

As for new club or old: my money says a new club is not yet likely. They don't really need it---sales are still brisk, in general, another monorail resort will be a hot item just for the 11 month period, and for the first year or maybe two, there won't be many resale deeds available. BLT had a *very* narrow window when it was both in active sales and had reasonable resale inventory available---months, not years. On the other hand, a new club is complicated, both from a management POV and also from a sales floor perspective. A product that is harder to explain is harder to sell.

I've got no skin in the game either way, mind you. I'm not a Member. But, that's my read of the tea leaves.

Last edited:

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
My guess is that a new batch of resale restrictions are in the works, DVC GF or not.
This is the reason some DVC, like OKW and Saratoga Springs is now selling for < $45.00 per point, and even less for larger contracts.

I was hesitant to buy DVC after they devalued their own product by taking cruise vacations away from resale buyers.

It's the same move the other sleazy companies have made with resales. Think Wyndham. It's Disney, so it's surprising to me that they would make such a dumb move.

The DVC salesmen chant, "Take away the resale buyers' rights," while telling the retail buyer how incredibly stupid it is to buy resale because of the lack of use for things like cruises. What are they saying about the RESALE VALUE of those points?

The reason Hilton maintains its value is resale owners get the same benefits. Unless that's changed.:shrug:

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Marylyn was disappointed at the move from II to RCI, as was I back then. She owned Foxrun, so did we because it traded very well into DVC. She chose not to continue to play the game to get DVC through RCI. I chose to continue to play the game, and people here helped me with my purchases to get the DVC again.

A more important point as it relates to the post from disboards by Marylyn: II has the Marriotts, the Westins, the Sheratons, the Hyatts, and Four Seasons. RCI has some of the Sheratons, an occasional Marriott, the Hiltons, Wyndham and WorldMark. What are the others? I know there are more.

Much of RCI's inventory is not as desirable as the big hotel chains, the chains who chose II as their exclusive exchange company. So RCI has limited luxury exchanges for DVC members to take in exchange. This was one of the arguments way back when the change from II to RCI happened. I kind of agree in a way. Some of the Wyndhams and WorldMarks are very nice, and the Hiltons are pretty great, too. Diamond has a few Maui and Kauai luxury resorts in RCI, but seriously, RCI has little else.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Not with the Mouseowners that I run with. We are just mad that we pay so much for what others seem to have a gift at getting on the cheap. It's made me and others decide rather than buy more, we will just trade in with RCI.

Then your DVC friends should be very upset at the DVC/ RCI exchanges on eBay, with new added DAILY. There are some resellers who are renting 40-50 per year. I don't know how it's possible to own that many RCI points, but they sure are affecting demand for DVC through RCI. The point values have gotten crazy high.

This is why I keep saying it's PCC's renting the DVC on eBay, and that has me more angry. We have about 420 TPU's per year in RCI weeks, and that's a LOT. So who has 5X more than us? PCC's, that's who.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is the reason some DVC, like OKW and Saratoga Springs is now selling for < $45.00 per point, and even less for larger contracts.
The inability to use them on over-pointed cruises and tours explains resale values? You can't be serious.

MichaelColey

TUG Member
Reaction score
If they do make changes that onlly affect resale, don't you think it's likely those who currently own would be grandfathered in, like the latest changes?

Also, if they're going to give DVC members access to RCI, it stands to reason that they will also deposit inventory into RCI. It's an exchange company, after all.

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
I expect something very different to open up in the near future for DVC. They are building at the Poly, the GF and possibly near the campground area. All 3 at the same time lead me to consider that maybe they are going to open a new club and will offer current direct owners to upgrade or special limited time pricing. I doubt they would let resale owners upgrade. They probably want full freight purchases.