• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

At the risk of blasphemy...

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
I think that your logic (resort which you can drive to with low MFs) is sound. If the price is above your max price, then I would walk away. I personally don't buy with rental in mind. My opinion anyway.

Nomad420

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC New York Mid Town
Hands down had it been me I had walked.

But that's just who I am, if they pressure me on price I'd rather walk or lower my offer as a countermeasure.

LOL.... Time shares are like buses, wait awhile and another one will come around....

Judi Kozlowski

TUG Member
Reaction score
Rik,

Sorry for the bad experience -- Judi does rock and I'm sure she would be distressed to hear about issues from the staff. I've had three positive experiences with her and would not hesitate to use her again.

You may want to contact her directly and ask her to intervene?

Best,

Greg
Thank you Greg.
Hello everyone,

Alright, so I may go down in flames for asking this, but here goes. I've been reading forums here for weeks before deciding on a unit for purchase, and upon the nearly unanimous advice of everyone here, I decided to go with a unit for sale by Judi Kozlowski. I sent an email inquiring about the property over the weekend. Yesterday I heard back from one of Judi's folks, giving me the breakdown of costs and noticed that the quoted closing costs were $830, not including title insurance.

I took this into consideration and sent back an offer. Judi's assistant emailed me back quickly, saying that there was "a lot of interest in the property" and that the owner had just given a counteroffer to another interested party at a price very close to the original asking price. I was advised that agreeing to the advertised price was in my best interest due to the "other offers" and the fact that the property might not pass ROFR at less than asking anyway. Though I was a little surprised by this, I decided to bite given my own belief as to the ROFR. I asked about a deposit, was told it would be $1000 by credit card at the time of signing.

Today, I receive an email from another associate with a statement and a contract to e-sign. The contract is now saying a $500 deposit by credit card (I guess that's not an issue, just different than what I was previously told) BUT, the listed purchase price on the agreement was wrong to the tune of $900 higher than what I'd agreed to pay. I pointed it out and the purchase price was quickly corrected.

So, all of that to say, this is my first TS purchase and so, given the way Judi has been propped up around here, I'm a little surprised, confused, and worried by a few things:

1. No Judi? Haven't gotten anything from her directly at all as to this process.

2. The "lots of interest, act quickly" here could be legit based on the price and unit in question (platinum week, 9600 points, new development with few resales, want the 12 month advantage) but it sounded a lot like the rhetoric I've seen at developer sales. I let my conscience (and research) be my guide as to the ROFR potential, though. Hopefully that was a wise decision.

3. $830 in closing costs? This doesn't include the HGVC fees ($560, $399, $150) OR title insurance. Is that not fairly high?

4. Wrong price on the contract? In all fairness, I'm a cop, so I'm fairly analytical, but important LITTLE details like the PRICE should be the first thing you check twice...

All of this to say, can you guys give me some perspective here? I went with "the best" but I'm not seeing the "white gloves" yet...

Sorry if I've offended anyone; I'm not trying to undermine anyone's reputation or credibility, I just need to know if I'm making a sound decision with my family's vacation future here.

Thanks in advance for the help. You guys have already saved me time, money, and sanity.

Judi Kozlowski

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just to clear the air with this post.

Alright, so I may go down in flames for asking this, but here goes. I've been reading forums here for weeks before deciding on a unit for purchase, and upon the nearly unanimous advice of everyone here, I decided to go with a unit for sale by Judi Kozlowski. I sent an email inquiring about the property over the weekend. Yesterday I heard back from one of Judi's folks, giving me the breakdown of costs and noticed that the quoted closing costs were $830, not including title insurance.

I took this into consideration and sent back an offer. Judi's assistant emailed me back quickly, saying that there was "a lot of interest in the property" and that the owner had just given a counteroffer to another interested party at a price very close to the original asking price. I was advised that agreeing to the advertised price was in my best interest due to the "other offers" and the fact that the property might not pass ROFR at less than asking anyway. Though I was a little surprised by this, I decided to bite given my own belief as to the ROFR. I asked about a deposit, was told it would be $1000 by credit card at the time of signing.

Today, I receive an email from another associate with a statement and a contract to e-sign. The contract is now saying a $500 deposit by credit card (I guess that's not an issue, just different than what I was previously told) BUT, the listed purchase price on the agreement was wrong to the tune of $900 higher than what I'd agreed to pay. I pointed it out and the purchase price was quickly corrected.
First of all let me explain the price. The seller was listed quite a bit higher for a couple of months. In the past couple of months they reduced
the price to $16,900.00. Last week they decided to reduce to $16,000.00 to capture the summer market. Unfortunately when I got the email
I read it as a full price offer, I handle about 400 Hilton listings. AS much as I would like to tell you that I remember every listing and every Seller
I don't. I was very excited to receive this offer as it was a great buy for her buyer and my Seller was ready to move on. I presented
the $16,900 offer to my Seller. They were very excited as they thought the offer was made prior to the $16,000.00 going through. I had the pleasure

of explaining to them that I made a mistake. So that was handled. This was in an email to the Buyer yesterday from me personally.
Hello everyone,

So, all of that to say, this is my first TS purchase and so, given the way Judi has been propped up around here, I'm a little surprised, confused, and worried by a few things:

1. No Judi? Haven't gotten anything from her directly at all as to this process.

2. The "lots of interest, act quickly" here could be legit based on the price and unit in question (platinum week, 9600 points, new development with few resales, want the 12 month advantage) but it sounded a lot like the rhetoric I've seen at developer sales. I let my conscience (and research) be my guide as to the ROFR potential, though. Hopefully that was a wise decision.

3. $830 in closing costs? This doesn't include the HGVC fees ($560, $399, $150) OR title insurance. Is that not fairly high?
In the same email to the buyer yesterday.

$1177.00 of the closing costs are paid directly to Hilton. Some can be paid after the closing by credit card to Hilton.

Of the $975.00 cost $145.00 will go towards the title insurance if you decide to go with title insurance. If you just

want a title search it is $ 45.00.. If you close through a licensed and bonded title company it is $830.00. South Carolina

is an attorney state so closings are a little more expensive. We can have your transaction closed with a closing company that

is not insured or bonded and you closing fees will be about $130.00 less. You can also choose your own closing company.

4. Wrong price on the contract? In all fairness, I'm a cop, so I'm fairly analytical, but important LITTLE details like the PRICE should be the first thing you check twice...
I apologized to you and the Seller for this mistake.

All of this to say, can you guys give me some perspective here? I went with "the best" but I'm not seeing the "white gloves" yet...

Sorry if I've offended anyone; I'm not trying to undermine anyone's reputation or credibility, I just need to know if I'm making a sound decision with my family's vacation future here.

Thanks in advance for the help. You guys have already saved me time, money, and sanity.

This was the ending of my email. Not sure what more I could have done.
In this situation the Seller paid $55,550.00. Then the Club activation fee would only be $360.00.

So again accept my apologies for the incorrect price on the the contract. Truley a human error. I realize Ivey tried to sort

the fees out but that is pretty difficult to do with timeshare. If you wish for us to close with a Closing Company who is not

bonded or licensed we can do that. The closing fees would be $700.00 plus the Hilton fees of $1,177.00.

My reputation is at stake. Not something that I take lightly. You are getting a wonderful deal and we hope that you will refer many

buyers to us in the future.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Judi Kozlowski

TUG Member
Reaction score
Rik,

Sorry for the bad experience -- Judi does rock and I'm sure she would be distressed to hear about issues from the staff. I've had three positive experiences with her and would not hesitate to use her again.

You may want to contact her directly and ask her to intervene?

Best,

Greg
Thank you Greg. I really appreciate your comment and having you as a client.

Judi Kozlowski

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes that's very high - $500 - $600 is more reasonable.

Best,

Greg
Unfortunately we are going to see the closing costs go up. In the State of Florida it is now against the law to do timeshare closings if you are not licensed, bonded and insured. The State of Florida is now monitoring this problem. We have had "Closing Agents" leave the state with escrow money. Closing costs are higher in South Carolina due to it being an Attorney state. Yes there are places to get the closings done cheaper and we do advise the Buyers that they may choose any closing company they wish to use.

Judi Kozlowski

TUG Member
Reaction score
We've dealt with Judi and her team for 3 purchases. The first was W. 57th. On this I did speak directly with Judi on a couple of occasions. I felt the same push that you did. In this case it was "well, you'd better offer at least this much, despite the fact there we have ads for lower amounts, because it won't pass ROFR otherwise." Could well have been true, but it still had the feeling of a "trying to keep the price high as it leads to higher commissions" sort of thing. Just a feeling with nothing to back it. We did buy at that price.

I do understand the feeling.

The other two were Vegas (no ROFR) and we worked with one of her colleagues and made the offers we wanted.

Cheers.
To avoid the reputation of selling units that I know or think will be picked up by ROFR I advise my buyers to offer what I think will pass. If I did it the other way I would get paid for the sale and the buyer would be upset because they didn't get the property and the seller is upset because they think I sold it too low. Often the sales on ebay and other venues the "Sellers" or their agents will falsify the paperwork to get the sale through. The buyer then thinks they got a great deal and then my clients think I am over selling. Not true. I try to do what is best for everyone involved.

Judi Kozlowski

TUG Member
Reaction score
I too reached out to Judi on a property in Myrtle Beach. I told them I wanted to stay around $1 per point and I basically got the same high pressure response from one of her associates. I have since entered into a contract for 8,400 points for $9,000 at Anderson. Still waiting to get ROFR back but the broker I ended up using was very forthcoming and helped me stick to my budget.
I would appreciate it if you would let me know if this passes ROFR. We have lost three there in the past month.

Judi Kozlowski

TUG Member
Reaction score
I inquired with a different broker when I was selling my Hawaii unit, was quoted $1500 fees. If they get seller and buyer fees its a good racket.

I ended up selling it myself, their quote gave me a good idea what would pass rofr.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
We don't get Seller and Buyer fees. I am very happy that we were able to educate you as to the prices. I am very happy that you sold your unit.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
To avoid the reputation of selling units that I know or think will be picked up by ROFR I advise my buyers to offer what I think will pass. If I did it the other way I would get paid for the sale and the buyer would be upset because they didn't get the property and the seller is upset because they think I sold it too low. Often the sales on ebay and other venues the "Sellers" or their agents will falsify the paperwork to get the sale through. The buyer then thinks they got a great deal and then my clients think I am over selling. Not true. I try to do what is best for everyone involved.

Judi, in the end I did (and do) believe you. I wouldn't have worked with your team (Dana, in particular) for two more deals had I not. I just wanted to share my feelings at the time that what I was told may, or may not, be true. I would work with you, and your team, again...but more points I need like a hole in the head at this point :)

Cheers.

Judi Kozlowski

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think your explanation is both plausible and reasonable as it stands, but it does not excuse Judi K's staff from not providing the OP with a full explanation and breakout of the various charges in the purchase of a HGVC timeshare. To me, his experience smacks of sloppiness and even carelessness. I wonder if Judi K has gotten so big that she's now reached the point of losing quality and attention to customers in the name of growth and volume. Hopefully not.
Judi K has not gotten so big that she doesn't watch her business. This Seller was called immediately by me to tell them that I made a mistake. I sent the Buyer an email as soon as I saw that he had a question. I spend 50% of my time working on timeshare scams. I do have a great agent, Dana that helps me with my Hilton buyers. That allows me to make a difference in the timeshare world.

Judi Kozlowski

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you everyone, this has been a huge help. I'm really on the fence now. I came in with an offer of $16k (plus costs) for a 3 bedroom unit in platinum season at the new Ocean 22 in Myrtle Beach. It's a brand new resort, so few resales, and I feel confident that I'll always be able to rent the week if we don't use it. It's also within driving distance, which is important to me. We may spend our points elsewhere on occasion, but I wanted our primary purchase to be at a location we'll use. MFs are low at ~$1100 per year. I was hoping to spend around $12-13k on it, but they'd just reduced the price and I didn't want to miss out, as Judi's folks said they'd had other, recent offers and that the seller had recently counteroffered another potential buyer at $15,500. No way to verify that, of course.

Like I said, I'm a cop. I have a strong moral aversion to dealing with people who misrepresent themselves or pad their wallets at the expense of others. Making money is certainly important, but you can do that while being fair and straightforward. I'm just not sure about these "other offers" or the closing costs. But for the ROFR and relative lack of availability, I'd have stuck to my guns.

What do you think? I really appreciate all the assistance. This is a great community.
RIK I would ask that you contact two detectives that I work with and they will tell you that I have strong morals. I would never misrepresent myself nor pad my wallet at the expense of others.
Michael Stevens
Orlando Police Department
PO Box 913
Orlando, FL 32801
<michael.stevens@cityoforlando.net>
(407)246-2971
or
Hilary Bledsoe
PO Box 913
Orlando, FL 32801

(407)246-2971
hilary.bledsoe@cityoforlando.net

If you choose not to purchase a timeshare from us I can handle that but I really do not want my reputation tarnished by a mistake that I made on a price. I think I answered the closing cost situation in my
email. If I can be of assistance please do not hesitate to contact me. Thank you. Judi Kozlowski

Judi Kozlowski

TUG Member
Reaction score
Judi, in the end I did (and do) believe you. I wouldn't have worked with your team (Dana, in particular) for two more deals had I not. I just wanted to share my feelings at the time that what I was told may, or may not, be true. I would work with you, and your team, again...but more points I need like a hole in the head at this point :)

Cheers.
I appreciate your comments and your business.

Rik

Reaction score
RIK I would ask that you contact two detectives that I work with and they will tell you that I have strong morals. I would never misrepresent myself nor pad my wallet at the expense of others.
Michael Stevens
PO Box 913
Orlando, FL 32801
<michael.stevens@cityoforlando.net>
(407)246-2971
or
Hilary Bledsoe
PO Box 913
Orlando, FL 32801

(407)246-2971
hilary.bledsoe@cityoforlando.net

If you choose not to purchase a timeshare from us I can handle that but I really do not want my reputation tarnished by a mistake that I made on a price. I think I answered the closing cost situation in my
email. If I can be of assistance please do not hesitate to contact me. Thank you. Judi Kozlowski

Everyone- I want to first let you all know that Judi did, in fact, reach out to me yesterday evening to supply all of the details she's now posted here. I appreciate her willingness to engage with me privately, and now publicly, as to my concerns. Regardless of the circumstances, I hope that you all appreciate her candor here as much as I do.

Judi- I want to apologize for the negative tone this forum has, in some instances, taken on. I did not, and do not, intend to tarnish or defame anyone, but merely am seeking interpretation as to apparent inconsistencies in a situation with which I am unfamiliar. As you've seen, each of my here-voiced concerns has been validly and consistently related, both to you and to the forum. I look forward to speaking with you soon to resolve my concerns and move forward, if possible.

Thanks again for the feedback everyone; we'll take this offline moving forward. You've all been a great resource and I look forward to timesharing with you all soon!

Rik

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I for one appreciate reading this thread. OP's concern is legit, and Judy K's response is reasonable. Everyone makes mistake. It's how one handles the situation afterwards shows his/her true character. I have not dealt with Judy in the past but I will not hesitate to contact her in the future.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
... Judy K's response is reasonable. Everyone makes mistake.

Spelling Police: It's natural to write "Judy," but she spells it "Judi." <ducking>
Over the years, she's been a TUG contributor and helped TS owners in the fight against scammers.

Remy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Grand Vacations Club on the Boulevard, Hyatt Residence Club Wild Oak Ranch
For comparison sake: I bought two units earlier this year. One from Judi and one from a reputable eBay seller. The closing with Judi took just under 45 days, communication was excellent, and I couldn't be happier. The eBay auction took over 5 months to close and see points in my account.

No one was shady on the eBay purchase, they were solid with communication too, but Judi clearly has a system set up, knows Hilton, and gets things moving. There is value to that.