• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

At the Grand Waikikian & not overly impressed.

Lmar206

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's been a while since I've been to a owners update or sales presentation but, the last one we went on, the salesmen were selling the idea of buying one location with the intention of staying at others. I could see HGVC using the extra points to push the idea that a new buyer could buy GW and stretch those extra premier 1 bedroom points into 2 bedroom stays at the LT.

I escaped the clutches of the salesmen this past weekend. We did the tour of the GW and loved it, I think the 7k package was just under 50k. When we didn't want that one they shifted to points are points, and sold us a nice 4800 point package on the unbuilt project on kings land for only 27k. They are pushing that hard at HHV and have a scale model and tons of photos in the sales center.

We got back to our hotel and I stumbled to tugs (thank god) and immediately we decided to rescind and are now purchasing a bay club through Seth.

The sales staff at HHV are definitely using the lower (relatively) cost project on Kings land as a way for people to "get started at a lower cost" but with the idea of staying at HHV. They also are pushing open season GW as a must have perk to get a nice room for below market.

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
I escaped the clutches of the salesmen this past weekend. We did the tour of the GW and loved it, I think the 7k package was just under 50k. When we didn't want that one they shifted to points are points, and sold us a nice 4800 point package on the unbuilt project on kings land for only 27k. They are pushing that hard at HHV and have a scale model and tons of photos in the sales center.

We got back to our hotel and I stumbled to tugs (thank god) and immediately we decided to rescind and are now purchasing a bay club through Seth.

The sales staff at HHV are definitely using the lower (relatively) cost project on Kings land as a way for people to "get started at a lower cost" but with the idea of staying at HHV. They also are pushing open season GW as a must have perk to get a nice room for below market.

I think I almost passed out when I read a 7K package at GW was just under $50,000. We upgraded to a 7K every year package at the LV Strip location for just under $14,000 in 2004. To bad owned weeks don't appreciate as well as developer pricing.

HGVC salesmen have always sold other properties on the idea that points are points and anyone can get into HHV. They've sold the idea so much that what once was a relatively easy reservation has now become difficult.

UWSurfer

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I escaped the clutches of the salesmen this past weekend. We did the tour of the GW and loved it, I think the 7k package was just under 50k. When we didn't want that one they shifted to points are points, and sold us a nice 4800 point package on the unbuilt project on kings land for only 27k. They are pushing that hard at HHV and have a scale model and tons of photos in the sales center..

I'm not sure I understand HOW they can sell units and points to an UNBUILT project. The points are supposed to have inventory behind it and if they are awarding points to an unbuilt section, then there is no inventory behind those points.

Unless I'm missing something, I find this quite alarming.

Lmar206

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure I understand HOW they can sell units and points to an UNBUILT project. The points are supposed to have inventory behind it and if they are awarding points to an unbuilt section, then there is no inventory behind those points.

In the paperwork there is an 8k reserve held in escrow until the project completes to "protect the buyer".

janckenn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Grand Waikikian x1
HGVC West 57th Street x2,
HGVC Flamingo x2,
HC The District x1
HGVC member since 2007
I really liked the GW as it was very spacious and I tend to travel with several family members. I have never stayed in the other locations in Honolulu so I can't compare it. The penthouse units have great views and the penthouse lounge is wonderful.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8

I think most developers pre-sell inventory at pre-construction pricing. It's usually the best pricing you'll see from a developer for that project. We've made a couple of purchases from developers that way.

Keep in mind the HGVC is selling deeded weeks, not points. Those deeds are worth X number of points in the HGVC system. Typically, you're usage year begins when your unit week has been completed.

There was one time when we purchased pre-construction that our unit week was not completed on time. That was our Skyview unit at Polo Towers. I belive it was two additional years beyond what we were told before our week was available to us. In the meantime we were given a replacement week (unsold developer inventory) to exchange with I.I.

If worse came to worse, I'm sure HGVC has PLENTY of inventory to cover any pre-construction units at Kingsland with their Las Vegas and Orlando properties. So points backed by a deeded week somewhere in the HGVC system shouldn't be an issue.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
I really liked the GW as it was very spacious and I tend to travel with several family members. I have never stayed in the other locations in Honolulu so I can't compare it. The penthouse units have great views and the penthouse lounge is wonderful.

Compared to every other timeshare we've stayed at or own, with the exception of Polo Towers in Vegas, the GW units are the smallest of the one bedroom units we've ever stayed in. Spacious compared to a hotel room yes. Spacious for a timeshare no.

Perhaps the penthouse units are larger than the standard, plus and premier units. If so that would give you a different perspective than what we had during our stay.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I did not like our unit nor enjoy our stay. It was a very nice unit with a great view. What I am saying is, compared to the Lagoon Tower and probably the Kalia Tower (we haven't stayed in the Kalia Tower ourselves), the extra points required to stay at the GW really aren't worth it IMHO. Nice unit but, it's smaller, the views are as good as the Lagoon Tower (again IMHO) and it's less convenient to just about everything compared to Lagoon and Kalia. I did not really enjoy having to take the elevator down 24 floors, walk through the lobby, out the front door, half a block down the street, across the front of HHV, through the lobby of the Kalia building and up the elevator to the 4th floor there just to get to the fitness center, which I also considered small for a resort with as many units available as HHV. Sure it's a nice walk but, that's quite the distance to traverse every day just for a 30 to 60 minute workout.

Toss in the post above about a 7,000 point package costing nearly $50,000 and it makes you wonder what HGVC is thinking. The unit we were in required >12,000 points to reserve. If I were to purchase that one bedroom premier unit direct, that would mean I'd be paying HGVC nearly $85,000! DANG! That does make me a little light headed just thinking about it. Rather then plunk down that sort of cash, if I wanted to be in HHV as a home resort, I'd definately be looking to the resale market. Heck, reserving in the club reservation window using my 7,000 points deeded in Las Vegas actually looks EXTREMEMLY attractive now, even though I don't get first choice of buildings or location with home resort advantage that GW owners enjoy. For that price I honestly wonder why anyone would purchase just to reserve anything BUT the GW. I know I darn sure wouldn't spend that kind of cash just to trade out for Las Vegas or Orlando.

Last edited:

slum808

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the key here is that a lot of timeshares are sold to people who never thought about buying a timeshare before the presentation. If you didn't do any research, how you know you're paying to much. Hilton went for the big cash grab, and if they can get enough uninformed buyers it will be worth it for them.

pianodinosaur

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC SeaWorld x 2, HGVC Las Vegas Strip x 2, MVC Mountain Valley Lodge, MVC Legend’s Edge
I prefer The Lagoon Tower.

llandaff

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am thinking we have been incredibly lucky as we are just closing on a 6200 point LT package for $16,000. I was somewhat amazed that it passed ROFR at that price.

We have already owned the same package for 10 years (paid $26,000 from HGVC back in '02) and decided that since my husband will be retiring in the next few years, two weeks would be better than one! We too toured the GW and were not 'wowed' compared to the LT.

We feel it's worth the high maintenance fees to get that necessary three month home advantage.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
I am thinking we have been incredibly lucky as we are just closing on a 6200 point LT package for $16,000. I was somewhat amazed that it passed ROFR at that price.

We have already owned the same package for 10 years (paid $26,000 from HGVC back in '02) and decided that since my husband will be retiring in the next few years, two weeks would be better than one! We too toured the GW and were not 'wowed' compared to the LT.

We feel it's worth the high maintenance fees to get that necessary three month home advantage.

I've been watching this too -- this is one of the packages that I may one day pick up -- the 1BR+ at Lagoon is a great package.

My wife and I want to go to HHV in October though, and I think I can get the reservation with booking tricks. If we keep going in February though....I may need to pick one up.

We will see -- but congrats on your purchase!

Best,

Greg

Last edited:

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8

Considering every HGVC salesmen I've ever heard sells the idea of buy anywhere but reserve during club season at HHV, I'd say owning HHV if you expect to stay at HHV is a wise move. Over the years getting inventory at HHV seems to have become that much more difficult. Unless of course you want the higher point requiring units, which was the main reason we elected the GW 1 bedroom premier unit to begin with.

zora

TUG Member
Reaction score
HGVC will have 3 more towers in waikiki

It is my understanding that HGVC is planning on building 3 more towers in waikiki: 1) on the corner of Kalakaua and the beach walk (Lewers St.), 2) mauka (mountainside) of the Tapa Tower, and 3) above the bazaar. I was told that the first tower is a pre-existing building that was gutted inside and is in the process of being renovated. Thoughts anyone?

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
It is my understanding that HGVC is planning on building 3 more towers in waikiki: 1) on the corner of Kalakaua and the beach walk (Lewers St.), 2) mauka (mountainside) of the Tapa Tower, and 3) above the bazaar. I was told that the first tower is a pre-existing building that was gutted inside and is in the process of being renovated. Thoughts anyone?

See these two old threads.

HGVC Lewers, Waikiki - http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148073
HHV to add 2 new timeshares - http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118932

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
With that second new tower planned over the rainbow bazaar, which will block the view of GW, it makes GW all that much less attractive in the future. I guess I have until somewhere around 2019 to decide if keeping HGVC is worth the price I'm paying. We now have so many options in Vegas and, planned construction around the north strip location halted, leaving that resort with an almost isolated feeling to it, maybe it's getting to be time to move on from ownership with Hilton. They're not helping by restricting new resorts to elite's only in the first year of operation under the HGVC banner.

I can hardly wait to see the points required for the first new tower, which probably has the worst location of all the timeshare towers at HHV. Any bets on that it will cost more than Lagoon, which has the best location of any of the towers at HHV IMHO? If these new towers have inflated points pricing, it will make ownership at Lagoon look all that more attractive to those who want to stay at HHV yearly.

Last edited:

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
..... They're not helping by restricting new resorts to elite's only in the first year of operation under the HGVC banner.

That's not true. Non-Elite members can also book during the first year of operation. Elite members just get the chance to book earlier.

Normally they give Elite members the opportunity to book during home week (12 months to 9 months before check-in) during the first year of operation for a new resort. It makes sense since the number of home week reservations will generally be low during the 1st year of a new resort.

CORRECTION... DOH!! YOU'RE RIGHT !!
I just noticed in the 2012 Club Member Guide it states on the resort page for the HGVC at Anderson Ocean Club, "In 2012, reservations are available exclusively to owners of this resort and Club Members with Elite Status."

homer_simpson_doh.gif

Last edited:

linsj

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
CORRECTION... DOH!! YOU'RE RIGHT !!
I just noticed in the 2012 Club Member Guide it states on the resort page for the HGVC at Anderson Ocean Club, "In 2012, reservations are available exclusively to owners of this resort and Club Members with Elite Status."

Only with Anderson Club. I was told that restriction won't be in effect for Planet Hollywood and the new phase of Kings' Land, both scheduled to be available next year.