• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

asking v.s. selling price

neu1212

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any information on the ratio of the asking price for a resale time share vs the actual selling price? We are trying to value a timeshare week, but really want a selling price, not an asking price. Thanks for your help.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
You could check ebay for completed listings for the timeshare you are interested in. That would show you what similar ones have actually sold for. I don't know that there would be a general ratio of asking price to selling price because there are so many variables.

djs

TUG Member
Reaction score
FWIW, with very few exceptions a TS will sell for pennies on the dollar.

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
No "one size fits all" answers...

Does anyone have any information on the ratio of the asking price for a resale time share vs the actual selling price? We are trying to value a timeshare week, but really want a selling price, not an asking price. Thanks for your help.

The ebay completed listings suggestion is a good one to find out the rock bottom selling figure for a particular resort / unit / week (assuming that you can find a closely comparable week among those listings; the highest value resorts and weeks may not be found very frequently as "eBay listings").

While it may be true in many instances, the "pennies on the dollar" generalization offered above is not entirely accurate for all resales. For example, 2BR unit / weeks at Hyatt Sunset Harbor in Key West that were purchased originally by their owners for around $12k are currently selling (and usually quite promptly) for around $15k. That may well be an exceptional situation, but merely points out that no "one size fits all" collective summary is accurate.

In short, there is no reliable "ratio". Every resort / week example and value is likely to be quite different.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Check the Comps on the major websites for the exact same timeshare/unit/season and then price yours near the bottom - many are way over-priced and will never sell. Most timeshares are selling for 0-10% on the resale market.

Here are some places to check - http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17673

WHATEVER you do, don't pay anyone a fat upfront fee to rent it for you - that's always a scam!

Last edited:

sfwilshire

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
The week is only worth what you're willing to pay. The specific seller may or may not be willing to sell at that price, but the next seller may be. I just decide what a property is worth to me and offer it. There are not too many timeshare properties that are so rare that another won't come along if you don't buy the first one you see.

Sheila

neu1212

TUG Member
Reaction score
Check the Comps on the major websites for the exact same timeshare/unit/season and then price yours near the bottom - many are way over-priced and will never sell. Most timeshares are selling for 0-10% on the resale market.

Here are some places to check - http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17673

WHATEVER you do, don't pay anyone a fat upfront fee to rent it for you - that's always a scam!
The cost for joining this group has been well worth it, I keep finding more information! One of the organizations listed here not only had lists showing units for sale, but lists of sold units and what they went for. Generally quite a bit less than asking price. It really helped us nail down a price to value a timeshare that my husband, his brother and niece inheirited. We will be buying out the other 2, but at a reasonable price, not the asking prices we have been seeing on various places on the internet.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Check ebay to - it's the bottom line:

1) Register with ebay
2) Sign in
3) Search for your resort by exact name
4) On the next page click "completed listings" in the menu on the left
5) The next page will show you current selling prices

(Be sure you look at the completed listings - those are actually SELLING prices - you will find asking prices all over the place, but what really counts is what they actually sold for.)​

4Reliefnow

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think pennies on the dollar is accurate for 90% of timeshares. Do the Ebay completed listing search for a broad list of timeshares, e.g. all Marriott all seasons. Sort price lowest first. There are 100 listings for less than $100 and half of them did not even sell.

For most timeshares I would recommend Platinum or nothing at all. A few places have very desirable weeks in gold. If you cannot afford Platinum, why not just rent? Look on ebay and TUG Classifieds. Offer $1,000 for the best weeks until you find a seller. I have 2BR Christmas in Cancun rental I got for $1,000. I would only pay $700 or less for a platinum 1BR or Gold Season 2BR.

djs

TUG Member
Reaction score
It really helped us nail down a price to value a timeshare that my husband, his brother and niece inheirited. We will be buying out the other 2, but at a reasonable price, not the asking prices we have been seeing on various places on the internet.

If it's not too late, make buying out the other two contingent upon finding a buyer for the TS, otherwise you may very well be on the hook for maintenance fees if it doesn't sell by the time next year's fees are due.

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
Unless someone truly wants this because of a combination of

View, Season and Location

The Estate should sell it and let the market determine it's value, since the source of comparables is so unreliable

You will probably find that over time it will need to be abandoned as worthless, putting the "problem" in the hands of the HOA and other dues paying members