• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Arroyo Roble Sofa Bed - How Bad Is it??

jlwquilter

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We'll be going there in a few weeks. Someone will be sleeping on the sofa bed... either my 78 year old dad or my 69 year old mother in law.

Just how uncomfortable is the sofa bed?? Should I bring along an air mattress?? Any other ideas on how to make the sofa bed most comfortable? Any help here would be MUCH appreciated as I am dreading (MAJOR dreading) telling one parent or the other they "drew the short straw"!

sun starved Gayle

TUG Member
Reaction score
We never used the sofa bed at Arroyo Roble when we were there. But if the mattress is thin and the bar is uncomfortable, take the mattress out of the sofa and put it on the floor and fold the sofa back up to make more room. Much more comfortable. We have done this at many timeshares. Replace the mattress in the sofa morning.

Have a great trip.

Gayle

jlwquilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
We never used the sofa bed at Arroyo Roble when we were there. But if the mattress is thin and the bar is uncomfortable, take the mattress out of the sofa and put it on the floor and fold the sofa back up to make more room. Much more comfortable. We have done this at many timeshares. Replace the mattress in the sofa morning.

Have a great trip.

Gayle

I've read this tip before and it's certainly an option. The trouble is that neither my dad or my MIL is going to be much more happy on the floor than on a bad sofa bed. It's not the "floor" per say - it's the getting down to it and back up part that will be a real issue. On the other hand, it could be real entertainment for DH and myself to watch one of them attempting the manuever!

Anyone here have personal expereince with the sofa bed??

glenmore

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
You could consider buying one of the eggcrate foam mattress toppers while you are out there for the sofa bed. They add considerably to the comfort and your guests would thank you over and over.

You could buy on on eBay and have it shipped there for around $30 and could just leave it if you had to . . .

auntdef

TUG Member
Reaction score
If my assumption is correct....that you have a 2 bd apt, you are not going to like my suggestion....you and hubby take the sofa bed and give each of your parents their own bedroom....sorry!!

DianneL

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Slept on sofa bed

We just got back from Arroyo Roble. My husband and I slept on the sofa bed, giving our son and his family the upstairs bedrooms. We are always the first ones up, making coffee, etc. and by sleeping downstairs we did not disturb the others, especially the children that needed to get plenty of sleep. The sofa bed is queen size but the mattress is thin, a typical sofa bed mattress. In my opinion one person could sleep on it pretty well, but it was uncomfortable for my husband and me. We are accustomed to a big, comfy king-size bed. The resort and location are great. Hope you have a great trip.

Red Rox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Solution?

If you spend a lot of time during the day, outdoors in the fresh air, you'll be tired enough at night that you won't even care where you're sleeping. Read the posts at TA and elsewhere. Even riding in a Pink Jeep for 2 hours will wear you out:zzz:

kcirbodmot

TUG Member
Reaction score
We've used a queen-sized inflatable Coleman mattress, such as those sold at Target for around $50, laid on top of a folded-out sofa bed. Much, much better than without and, in my opinion, better than just putting the mattress on the floor. I'd not recommend the cheaper ones.

There are no Target stores in Sedona, but there are some in Flagstaff and, of course, Phoenix, so if you are flying in to either airport, you could pick one up before hitting I-17.

jlwquilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the input!

There is NO WAY my DH and I are taking the sofa bed... I love these parents but not THAT much! This is the first (and possibly the last! LOL!) time both parents are joining us on a trip. Trips with just one/either parent have gone very well overall.

My dad is the natural canidate for the sofa bed as he's the earliert riser by far, but he's also the crankiest of the group and really does suffer from stiffness, aches, and to give him credit, he keeps up very well. But the thought of the possible whining/comments/etc/ for a week just makes my stomache shrivel. But assigning the sofa bed to my MIL just to appease my father doesn't seem right to me at all. Sigh...

Maybe flipping a coin once we get there and offering to buy an air mattress will be the best way to go. We are making a pit stop at Wal-Mart on the way out of PHX anyway.

DianneL

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Arroyo Roble review

jlwquilter, I did a recent review of our trip to Arroyo Roble, including some of the things we did and where we ate, etc. Just fyi, in case you want to check it out.

Liz Wolf-Spada

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would recommend having the air mattress or egg crate topper ahead of time, I know I am always tired when I got somewhere and it might not be obvious until really late that the sofa bed was uncomfortable.
Liz

eal

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
Call the resort to see if they have egg carton mattress toppers and if they will set you up with one when you arrive.

kcirbodmot

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would recommend having the air mattress or egg crate topper ahead of time, I know I am always tired when I got somewhere and it might not be obvious until really late that the sofa bed was uncomfortable.
Liz

I agree regarding the inconvenience of stopping somewhere along the way rather than bringing one from home. Given the weight and bulk of these air mattresses, though, and the current air travel environment, with charges for baggage, etc. :doh: , I was thinking it might be an expensive proposition to bring one with you.

jlwquilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just got off the phone with the resort. They do not have egg crates, extra mattrresses or anything like that to offer.

The very nice guy did say that the sofa beds shouldn't be too bad as they are ONLY 11-12 years old! :eek:

I am checking out air mattresses now. At least we do get 2 bag allowance each with Southwest so we have rooom to lug one along if necessary.

eal

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
There is a Walmart in Cottonwood, which is 19 miles from Sedona, where you should be able to pick up something for on top of the sofa bed.