TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 23 years! Join the tens of thousands of other owners here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
  3. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  5. For any of you worried about seeing the "connection not secure" message in your web browser when visiting TUG, rest assured that TUG is no more or less secure than it always has been! read more details here in this thread
    Dismiss Notice

Are there handicap beach wheel chairs available at Marriott Surf Club?

Discussion in 'Marriott Vacation Club' started by NJMOM2, Mar 20, 2017.

1. NJMOM2

NJMOM2 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott Harbour Lake; Marriott OceanWatch
    We are going to Aruba and staying at the Marriott Surf Club in July. My sister-in-law and brother-in-law are coming with us. A little over a year ago my brother-in-law had to have his foot amputated in order to save is life. He is doing very well now and walking well with his prostatic. Life is a little different for him and special arrangement needs to made for him for certain things in life. I have requested a garden view studio for them with a roll in shower. I know they will have handicap access for the pools. We would like him to have access to the beach as well. He has been to Aruba before and really would like to be able to go the beach. Are there handicap beach wheel chairs available at Surf Club that he will be able to use?

Does anyone have the email address for a contact at the resort that I can contact with questions? I'd like to confirm they have a handicap room and make any special arrangement needed for my brother-in-law.

Thank you

2. beckster914

beckster914 TUG Member

A very good resource for Surf Club information is a Facebook group created by owners. It is a very active page with lots of useful information, and I'm sure somewhere there will know the answer to your question, or at least have some contact info for someone at the resort. Here is the link:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/37866230142/

3. ilene13

ilene13 TUG Member

I know that the OC has at least 3 wheel chair accessible palapas. I do not know about the SC. I have never seen beach week chairs there.

4. Rob O

Rob O TUG Member

Surf club does not have wheel chair accessible palapas

5. NJMOM2

NJMOM2 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Thank you for the info. I really hope we find a way for him to get to the beach and the ocean. I don't know how steady he will be walking in the sand. Getting in the ocean will be a challenge in any event, if possible at all.

6. m61376

m61376 TUG Member

There are palapas in the back by the walkway which would be wheelchair accessible. There is a mat down a path which someone in a wheelchair could use to get closer to the ocean, but there would still be a distance that would need to be walked to get into the ocean. Depending on his limitations, getting down to the ocean with help may be feasible, but depending on currents the initial entry into the ocean usually has a small drop off, about the size of a step, which can be tricky.

Unless he has a waterproof (swim) prothetic, I don't think it'll be feasible really to go into the ocean, but if he is walking fairly well with his prosthesis with help you might be able to get him down to the beach; make sure there's a lounge or chair waiting by the water.

They do not have handicapped lounges per se, but if you ask the beach guys they will make one for you. My Mom had rheumatoid arthritis and came down with us until we lost her 2 years ago at 88 :-(, and some of the guys knew what to do and others I just told, but have them stack 3 chairs together and the added height will make getting up from a lounge as easy as from a chair. It will make a huge difference.

7. NJMOM2

NJMOM2 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Thank you - I am sure whatever we manage to figure out he will have a great vacation in Aruba! Stacking the lounge chairs is a great idea or he will just end up sitting in a regular chair which would be easier for him to stand up from. Can't wait to go - the count down has begun!

8. m61376

m61376 TUG Member

Have a great trip!
    Just FYI- stacking 3 chaises makes it as easy to stand up as from a single chair, assuming he can easily sit up and get his legs over the chaise edge. It worked great, both for my Mom and for a friend who has a neuromuscular disease and has difficulty standing up. The only minor issue there is that it's heavier to move around when you want to move the chaises as the sun changes position, so we typically put that chaise towards the center right of the palapa, so it required less shifting.

9. Rob O

Rob O TUG Member

Rent one in advance
    There are many mobility companies on the island
    You could get all that you need delivered to you

10. skyequeen

skyequeen Guest

We own at Surf Club and spend several weeks a year there. I cannot tell you exactly what type of vehicles we have seen but we have both seen parents wheeling handicapped children and people driving some kind of scooters themselves onto the sand. I recommend you contact staff there by email. They are very nice people who will try to help you.

11. NJMOM2

NJMOM2 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Thank you. Do you have an email address for Surf Club?