• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Are there handicap beach wheel chairs available at Marriott Surf Club?

NJMOM2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Abound Club Points
Marriott Harbour Lake
Marriott OceanWatch
We are going to Aruba and staying at the Marriott Surf Club in July. My sister-in-law and brother-in-law are coming with us. A little over a year ago my brother-in-law had to have his foot amputated in order to save is life. He is doing very well now and walking well with his prostatic. Life is a little different for him and special arrangement needs to made for him for certain things in life. I have requested a garden view studio for them with a roll in shower. I know they will have handicap access for the pools. We would like him to have access to the beach as well. He has been to Aruba before and really would like to be able to go the beach. Are there handicap beach wheel chairs available at Surf Club that he will be able to use?

Does anyone have the email address for a contact at the resort that I can contact with questions? I'd like to confirm they have a handicap room and make any special arrangement needed for my brother-in-law.

Thank you

beckster914

TUG Member
Reaction score
A very good resource for Surf Club information is a Facebook group created by owners. It is a very active page with lots of useful information, and I'm sure somewhere there will know the answer to your question, or at least have some contact info for someone at the resort. Here is the link:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/37866230142/

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know that the OC has at least 3 wheel chair accessible palapas. I do not know about the SC. I have never seen beach week chairs there.

NJMOM2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Abound Club Points
Marriott Harbour Lake
Marriott OceanWatch
Thank you for the info. I really hope we find a way for him to get to the beach and the ocean. I don't know how steady he will be walking in the sand. Getting in the ocean will be a challenge in any event, if possible at all.

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
There are palapas in the back by the walkway which would be wheelchair accessible. There is a mat down a path which someone in a wheelchair could use to get closer to the ocean, but there would still be a distance that would need to be walked to get into the ocean. Depending on his limitations, getting down to the ocean with help may be feasible, but depending on currents the initial entry into the ocean usually has a small drop off, about the size of a step, which can be tricky.

Unless he has a waterproof (swim) prothetic, I don't think it'll be feasible really to go into the ocean, but if he is walking fairly well with his prosthesis with help you might be able to get him down to the beach; make sure there's a lounge or chair waiting by the water.

They do not have handicapped lounges per se, but if you ask the beach guys they will make one for you. My Mom had rheumatoid arthritis and came down with us until we lost her 2 years ago at 88 :-(, and some of the guys knew what to do and others I just told, but have them stack 3 chairs together and the added height will make getting up from a lounge as easy as from a chair. It will make a huge difference.

NJMOM2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Abound Club Points
Marriott Harbour Lake
Marriott OceanWatch
Thank you - I am sure whatever we manage to figure out he will have a great vacation in Aruba! Stacking the lounge chairs is a great idea or he will just end up sitting in a regular chair which would be easier for him to stand up from. Can't wait to go - the count down has begun!

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
Have a great trip!
Just FYI- stacking 3 chaises makes it as easy to stand up as from a single chair, assuming he can easily sit up and get his legs over the chaise edge. It worked great, both for my Mom and for a friend who has a neuromuscular disease and has difficulty standing up. The only minor issue there is that it's heavier to move around when you want to move the chaises as the sun changes position, so we typically put that chaise towards the center right of the palapa, so it required less shifting.

Rob O

TUG Member
Reaction score
Rent one in advance
There are many mobility companies on the island
You could get all that you need delivered to you

skyequeen

Reaction score
We own at Surf Club and spend several weeks a year there. I cannot tell you exactly what type of vehicles we have seen but we have both seen parents wheeling handicapped children and people driving some kind of scooters themselves onto the sand. I recommend you contact staff there by email. They are very nice people who will try to help you.

NJMOM2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Abound Club Points
Marriott Harbour Lake
Marriott OceanWatch
Thank you. Do you have an email address for Surf Club?