• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Are Saved HGVC points only good for 1 year?

joeyb1180

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Flamingo Las Vegas
HGVC on the Boulevard Las Vegas
Hi everybody, I read a lot on saved points but a lot of it is dated so I wanted to get some more clarity. If 2016 HGVC points are rescued/saved, they can't be saved a second time if I don't use them all and they would expire 12/31/2017. Do I have that correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
Hi everybody, I read a lot on saved points but a lot of it is dated so I wanted to get some more clarity. If 2016 HGVC points are rescued/saved, they can't be saved a second time if I don't use them all and they would expire 12/31/2017. Do I have that correct?

Yes that is correct. you can only extend them once with HGVC. I think you get two years if deposit them with RCI, but i have used that option so don't know all the specifics.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
If you saved points, then it you can put them into RCI, but only for 1 additional year NOT 2.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Your only option at this point is deposit in RCI for one more year extension, try for an HGVC last minute booking, or try for a Hilton Hotel booking (with an unfavorable 20:1 conversion rate you might get a couple of nights).

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Your only option at this point is deposit in RCI for one more year extension, try for an HGVC last minute booking, or try for a Hilton Hotel booking (with an unfavorable 20:1 conversion rate you might get a couple of nights).

The question that I read was for saving/rescuing 2016 points (not 2015). These can be saved to 2017.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
The question that I read was for saving/rescuing 2016 points (not 2015). These can be saved to 2017.

I read this as already saved 2016 points, you are probably correct now I see the 2017 expiration date.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Historical Note: In the Beginning, there were no "saved" points (a/k/a "rescued" points). You could only deposit next-year's points to a future year. Saving current-year points was an innovation. Allowing "saved" points to be deposited to RCI for an additional year is consistent with the 2-year RCI term which applies to current-year points, otherwise.

But "saving" and then "depositing to RCI" means paying two transaction fees which can be avoided simply by making an booking a future RCI stay with current-year points. <just sayin'> ... which reminds me!

PezLori

Reaction score
I've also been perplexed by this, being a relatively new owner. The description of saving points says... "Saved ClubPoints are valid for reservations at Club Resorts during the Home Resort and Club reservation windows and for RCI exchange reservations from the date of rescue through December 31st of the following year."
I feel like this could be interpreted two different ways: date that reservation is made (and points spent), or actual travel dates. Which is it?
We saved our 2016 points into 2017. Do we have to travel in 2017, or can we spend our points (make a reservation) in 2017 for 2018 travel?
Thanks for clarification!

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
In HGVC world all travel must be completed by the end of the year in question, not just the reservation booked.

Generally when you move points into RCI you get 2 years to use it, but if you Save the points in HGVC for a year first, you have essentially cut out one of the two year windows of RCI.

I do believe that it is travel check IN Date must be completed by the end of the year. So Dec 31 checkin is considered this year, even if you reservations continues over to next year. Can someone else confirm this for me.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I was about "save" my expiring current year points. To use them in 2017, I would have called HGVC to ask that they be substituted for 2017 points in one of my pending bookings... That way, the equivalent 2017 points would be freed.

But before I got there, I started poking around in RCI... I ended up booking an RCI stay drawing on my 2016 points, and reduced a 2017 HGVC booking so as not to borrow from 2018. Although the adage is that with HGVC, "tis better a borrower than a saver be."

Last edited:

seagila

TUG Member
Reaction score
In HGVC world all travel must be completed by the end of the year in question, not just the reservation booked.

I do believe that it is travel check IN Date must be completed by the end of the year. So Dec 31 checkin is considered this year, even if you reservations continues over to next year. Can someone else confirm this for me.

The first statement and the underlined statement are contradicting information, but the latter is correct.

If it's a reservation at an HGVC resort or affiliate, as long as the CHECK IN date is December 31st, 2017, you can checkout up to January 30, 2018 in the same resort and it will pull from your 2017 points. This of course assumes availability in that resort and that you have as many points to burn in 2017 as you're planning to book.

I have a current HGVC booking from 12/31/16 - 01/04/17, and 2016 points were used.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The first statement and the underlined statement are contradicting information, but the latter is correct.

If it's a reservation at an HGVC resort or affiliate, as long as the CHECK IN date is December 31st, 2017, you can checkout up to January 30, 2018 in the same resort and it will pull from your 2017 points. This of course assumes availability in that resort and that you have as many points to burn in 2017 as you're planning to book.

I have a current HGVC booking from 12/31/16 - 01/04/17, and 2016 points were used.

OK, yes well checkin must be completed within the calendar year.