• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

April the giraffe pregnancy

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
April the giraffe is due fairly soon, and has quite an internet following, ever since the animal park she lives in, put up a webcam. I heard of her quite by accident, as I don't use social media :) I tuned in to the videos, because was curious how big a near-term giraffe would be. Surprisingly she didn't look very big to me (I'm sure she really feels that baby, 15 months gestation ugh!)... probably due to the angle & distance of the web camera. There's a more obvious baby 'bump' now, but the giraffe spot pattern is really good at minimizing her pregnancy :D

There are several links to the New York animal park web-cam, but I found this one works well:
http://wgntv.com/2017/03/06/watch-l...-as-wait-for-birth-continues-at-new-york-zoo/

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
April is a popular girl. She even has her own website now, in addition to the webcam. She seems relaxed, but she's been here three times before. I hope she gives birth to a happy, healthy, bouncing, six foot tall baby. (Yikes!)

Dave

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
im more amazed at the actual pregnant lady who did her own video wearing a giraffe mask...its gotten over 23 million views in a very short time!

Pens_Fan

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We live near April and the rest of the animals.

Fed her carrots this past summer.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll probably just watch the rerun. Don't have time to stare at the computer all day. Go April go!

falmouth3

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've been tuning in for the last 2 weeks. When I first found out about it, she was going to deliver "any second". I don't watch all day, but as soon as a foot starts to emerge, I'm hoping to watch the entire birth.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
And while everyone else was watching April's webcam, a giraffe at the Denver Zoo surprised zookeepers and gave birth. They didn't know she was even pregnant until shortly before the birth! I had talked to one of the staff last fall when we were at the zoo and asked why they hadn't had any baby giraffe's for the last several years, since it used to be a pretty regular occasion in the past. She replied that they had gotten guidance to stop their breeding program a few years back, as there was concern that there was not enough diversity in their breeding stock. She went on to explain that the females were on birth control -- I guess that failed! ;) You can read more about the birth here.

Anyway, here is my favorite pic of Dobby. What a cutie!

6a010535647bf3970b01b8d266973f970c-800wi

Kurt

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Hi Kurt,

Thanks for sharing the pic and the background story. Wonderful pic!

Best Regards,

Richard

jackio

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sand Pebbles, Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Hawaiian Sun Holidays
I have been watching on and of for a couple of months. Today I was at the airport, waiting to board, and I saw that labor was in progress. By the time we landed, the calf had been born!

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
I've been switching back and forth between Animal Adventure Park's Giraffe Cam and the SW Florida Eagle Cam for several months. Signed up for alerts from Animal Adventure but after noticing how much April was pacing last night, I was up and watching this morning before they sent the text that she was in active labor. Saw it from start to finish. April and baby boy are still on live cam via a second window on my split screen now. Amazing to watch this calf go from the womb, falling into a heap on the floor then struggling to stand on spindly legs only to fall again and again, to hopping across the pen playing in just 9 hours! I've learned more about giraffes and eagles than I could have ever imagined while enjoying a community of watchers/chatters all talking about a little eaglet and a pregnant giraffe instead of all the politics I read on other social media! Or maybe I just have too much time on my hands. :shrug: :)

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just think of what the zoo could have done instead to help increase the wild giraffe population.
What?
Without animals that draw crowds, a zoo would have no money so save a species, in the wild or in captivity. So what could it have done? The solution in the article is better. Individuals have to support the movement. Then if zoos cease to exist, so be it. But zoos also introduce people to the creatures that inhabit the earth, and spur them to care about preservation.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
zoos also introduce people to the creatures that inhabit the earth, and spur them to care about preservation.

Disney Nature films do a much better job at both generating donations to the cause of species preservation AND educating people about wild animals - by showcasing them in their natural habitat.

Look up the studies yourself and learn that the very very few people are educated about or motivated to do something for wild animals through zoos. Similarly, zoos rarely re-introduce captive-bred animals into the wild. They only give lip service to 'preservation.' Usually they just sell the animals they breed to other zoos.

There are four species of giraffe. April is a reticulated giraffe and they are NOT classified as endangered. Just FYI.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/...death-denmark-copenhagen-zoo-breeding-europe/