• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

April in Chicago with kids

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC
I am thinking of taking the teens to Chicago in April, maybe 4 nights. Any recommendations on where to stay (with a kitchen, possbily) and a few can't be missed attractions? I was thinking Shedd Aquarium and the Art Institute? I haven't really been a tourist there before. Does anyone know of some good gluten-free places to eat? Thanks for any advice!

spackler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Quarter House, Jean Lafitte House, Bali Hai
The Wyndham Grand Chicago Riverfront is very well-regarded & close to lots of attractions downtown.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
There were some lovely getaway weeks at a condo resort in downtown Chicago (river north area, I believe) in II, at least through Thanksgiving. Less than $200/night.

I've also had great luck with Hotwire in downtown Chicago.

If you are going with kids, you *cannot* miss the Museum of Science and Industry. Very hands on. Especially if the kids are younger (aged 4-10,) I would chose that over the Art Institute.

fer829

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham points (Limited Edition expires 2023)
If you are going with kids, you *cannot* miss the Museum of Science and Industry. Very hands on. Especially if the kids are younger (aged 4-10,) I would chose that over the Art Institute.

I would second the recommendation here including teens and adults to visit the Museum of Science and Industry. It would be my first choice of what you have listed. The architecture tours might be of interest to you (by boat, walking tours, Frank Lloyd Wright buildings, etc.) Also live theater.

yoboy pres

Reaction score
If you're going to have a car, you could stay at the holiday inn resort formally known as silverleaf in Sheridan Illinois. It's about an hour southwest of the city.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC
Thanks so much for the recommendations! I don't plan to have a car. I'll check out the places suggested. Kitchens are always challenging to find!

famy27

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wyndham is probably the best bet for location if you need a kitchen. We live in the suburbs and go to the city overnight pretty frequently. I normally just use Starwood points or Hotwire/Priceline and stay in a regular hotel, so we don't end up with kitchen access. The Hotel Blake does come up in RCI from time to time, so that would be another option. No kitchen, but it's a nice hotel in a decent location. I've stayed there in the past and enjoyed it.

In terms of activities, I completely agree about Museum of Science and Industry. It's a great place for kids or teens. I'd also recommend at least one day at the museum campus (Field Museum, Shedd Aquarium, Adler Planetarium). You can get one of those City Pass-type deals and do all three. They are all great. I'd also suggest one of our zoos. You can take the Metra (suburban rail) to Brookfield Zoo, which is a truly excellent zoo, but it is pricier. You could also take the Red Line (CTA) to Lincoln Park Zoo. It's much smaller, but it's still a nice zoo, and it's free. I'd also do a stroll through Millennium Park, which is another free activity. You could do one of the observatories at Willis Tower or John Hancock. I normally prefer the Hancock building, just because the lines are generally shorter. If you do that, you can also do some shopping (or window shopping) on the Magnificent Mile. Very touristy, but still fun. I'd also consider trying to get same-day discounted theater tickets. By April, Lake Michigan and Chicago River cruises should be up and running again, so that is an option. The architecture tour might be a good choice for teens, but they are all fun.

My only caution is that our April weather can be very questionable. It could be 70 and gorgeous, or it could snow. If you have any outdoor activities picked, I'd definitely have an indoor plan as a backup. Brookfield Zoo would be an exception, as there are many indoor exhibits, so you can be comfortable even if it's chilly. We even go in December and January when it's freezing.

I don't know of any particular gluten free restaurants, but I think most are pretty accommodating, so it shouldn't be hard to find workable food options.

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been somewhat reluctant to reply to your post in that while I have some familiarity with Chicago, I am not an expert.

As an alternative to the Wyndham, there is a Residence Inn on the north end of the Magnificent Mile. They do have kitchens and buffet breakfasts are included. (Interestingly, across the street in what serves as a steak house restaurant at night.) For downtown Chicago, the rate for a one bedroom is fairly reasonable. The question is whether a bedroom with a king bed and a sofa bed in the other room is sufficient. They do have two bedroom units, but they get pretty pricey. (Having stayed there about three weeks ago, I won the lottery and they upgraded me to a two bedroom. I wouldn't count on that, however.) Fortunately, you are talking about not taking a car to the hotel. The parking rate here is an exorbitant $61 per night plus a tip for the valet.

Looking at the website for the Wyndham, you need to clarify if they have kitchens.

As far as things to do, "famy27" did an excellent job. The only thing I might emphasize is that a walk through Millenium Park will be a must, if for no other reason, to see "the bean" (officially, the ATT Cloud Gate). Pictures don't do it justice. It is worth it just to see how everyone is smiling as they walk around and under it.

RNCollins

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tradewinds, Divi, Quarter House, Casa Ybel
If you are renting a car or using the train, there is a really neat car museum in Lake County (north of Chicago). They even have an antique arcade, monster trucks, and hot rods, to name a few.

http://www.volocars.com/attractions.htm

Last edited:

mrsstats

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you're going to have a car, you could stay at the holiday inn resort formally known as silverleaf in Sheridan Illinois. It's about an hour southwest of the city.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
no wi fi if that is important

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
For 4 nights, you don't want to stay in the suburbs. I live here but don't have hotel suggestions except to stay downtown. Try the usual booking websites. The Art Institute is wonderful. The Shedd Aquarium is next to the Field Museum so you might be able to do them on the same day. The Museum of Science and Industry is amazing and can definitely fill up a day. I would avoid Navy Pier. It's pretty much a tourist trap with some restaurants and a ferris wheel. If it were summer, the boat trips are fun but probably not in April.