• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Apple Watch

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
I got one and I'm loving it.

KarenLK

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am thinking about one, but I need to put one on my wrist to see if it feels TOO big.

I read that it can be worn in the shower and in a pool.

I have a FitBit that is not working well for me.

On trips I would like to keep track of my steps/distance. I could do that with my iPhone but I do not have it on my body all the time [as in purse]

I have hearing aids that are iPhone compatible and they would work with the Watch.

SOOOO. What do you all think, not one year in???

Plus, what bands would be waterproof??

KarenLK

TUG Member
Reaction score
I bought one yesterday. I have read that it is water resistant but I took it off to shower. It works well with the hearing aids, so that is a plus feature.

Julian926

TUG Member
Reaction score
My wife has one and she loves it.

The main knock is that the watch isn't a great runner's watch. Hopefully (according to sources) the Apple watch 2 will have a built in GPS.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Apple officially only listed it as IPX7 water resistant because they did not want the possible liability on a new product. In user tests it is far beyond IPX7.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
My wife has one and she loves it.

The main knock is that the watch isn't a great runner's watch. Hopefully (according to sources) the Apple watch 2 will have a built in GPS.

I think Apple likes the co-dependence with the iPhone. I agree with you though, what hard core runner wants to take their phone? It can track without the GPS based on calibration settings but it isn't as accurate.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
I think Apple likes the co-dependence with the iPhone. I agree with you though, what hard core runner wants to take their phone? It can track without the GPS based on calibration settings but it isn't as accurate.

It's very good at tracking distance. It just needs the phone for GPS. I'm not much of a runner but I've used the Apple Watch for jogging and I took it on a 5k and it was very accurate for distance without the phone. It's handy that you can upload music to it so you can jog with just the Watch and bluetooth headphones.

I've read reviews that compare fitness wearables and one thing they were saying that's nice about the Apple Watch is that it can track distance without a GPS. There are times when GPS doesn't work well and the fitness wearbles that rely on GPS for distance screw up.

I suspect future versions of the Apple Watch will work with GPS or will have a reasonable fix. For example, there's a bit of storage room on the Apple Watch so it seems like it would be possible to save small portions of a map to the watch prior to an excursion and then be able to rely on that for directions without needing the iphone nearby.

Already, the newest version of the Apple Watch uses available, known wifi networks to connect the watch and phone when they're separated. I tested this out once with my Apple Watch at home while my husband took my phone to his work. I was still able to receive texts and do other things with my watch that normally would require having the iphone nearby. So... as wifi networks increase and this tech improves the watch will be able to do more and more iphone tasks from far away.

rhonda

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
I'm finally getting in on the game! I pre-ordered my Apple Watch Series 2 just after 1am Mountain Time, while on a working vacation, on 9/9. It should arrive on the 16th! Yeah!!

ThreeLittleBirds

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have one and really like it. I am getting the new one and giving mine to my husband and son to share. I'm living in a different state for the year (but we see each other often) and you can iMessage your heartbeat to someone with an Apple watch. Seems silly, maybe, but totally worth it to me.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
Haven't been interested until now but am still going to wait a few months and see. Pre-ordered the 7plus iPhone.

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
QUESTION for those who have owned an Apple watch for awhile: Should I get a screen cover of some sort?

I'm two days into my Series 2 Sport edition and loving it. I'm rather outdoorsy and intend to wear the watch while horseback riding, doing yard work, hiking, etc. I have nothing on it for now -- but should I?

Do you recommend a screen protector (as I have on my phones), a case cover, etc? Thank you!

Helaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Playa Grande
Fiesta Americana
It's not a bad idea on the Sport - it can scratch under those conditions.

Julian926

TUG Member
Reaction score
QUESTION for those who have owned an Apple watch for awhile: Should I get a screen cover of some sort?

I'm two days into my Series 2 Sport edition and loving it. I'm rather outdoorsy and intend to wear the watch while horseback riding, doing yard work, hiking, etc. I have nothing on it for now -- but should I?

Do you recommend a screen protector (as I have on my phones), a case cover, etc? Thank you!

It might be too late now, but you might want to consider the watch edition, which has a sapphire glass. They don't scratch at all. In fact, you can scrape it on a brick and it won't scratch your glass at all.

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It's not a bad idea on the Sport - it can scratch under those conditions.
I watched an interesting youtube video of deliberately attempting to scratch the Sport face with key (failed), knife (failed), steel wool (mostly failed) and sandpaper (yep -- that created serious scratches). I'm guessing that the normal sand/dirt I'll get on the watch and the daily handling of hay (both bales and stuffing hay nets) will take their toll on the face. Do you suggest a screen protector or a case? (I"m leaning screen protector w/out a case.)

It might be too late now, but you might want to consider the watch edition, which has a sapphire glass. They don't scratch at all. In fact, you can scrape it on a brick and it won't scratch your glass at all.
Thank you -- but I couldn't embrace the leap to Watch edition. I had decided long ago (pre-Watch Ed 1) that 'Sport' was my target. :)

FWIW, I washed horses yesterday while wearing the watch. I enjoyed getting "exercise credit" for doing normal tasks! Just feeding the horses this morning gave me 40% of today's exercise goal. Yippie! I'm barely out of bed and I've already accomplished a good chunk of some random goal assigned to me by my watch. Warm fuzzies for all!

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas

I have had my watch since March of this year and I do not have a screen protector. I wear the watch everyday for all activities. It has not gotten scratched.

I plan to upgrade to the newer version and give my husband my current watch. In fact, he says this was his plan all along!

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Size of case

For women who wear the watch, what size case did you purchase and/or prefer?One reason I haven't purchased the watch before now is that it appears masculine to me. Another was the lack of GPS. Now that I am considering it, I am torn on size. It seems the larger case would be easier to read. The smaller less masculine and fits the bands better IMO. So what say others?

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have had my watch since March of this year and I do not have a screen protector. I wear the watch everyday for all activities. It has not gotten scratched.

I plan to upgrade to the newer version and give my husband my current watch. In fact, he says this was his plan all along!
Thanks, VegasBella. Which edition (Sport vs Watch?)? Glad for that good report, indeed.

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
For women who wear the watch, what size case did you purchase and/or prefer?One reason I haven't purchased the watch before now is that it appears masculine to me. Another was the lack of GPS. Now that I am considering it, I am torn on size. It seems the larger case would be easier to read. The smaller less masculine and fits the bands better IMO. So what say others?
Case size was a big debate for me, too. When the first edition was released we (hubby and I) went to the Apple Store and played with the various configurations. We thought we would buy immediately ... but couldn't quite pull the trigger on the first version. However, I did end up talking myself into the larger case with the white band. Indeed, when pre-ordering my Series 2, I went with the decisions I had made long ago: Sport (aluminum, silver in color), 42mm, White band. I'm tall, with long, slender arms and a small wrist. The watch does look huge -- but so much so as to appear pleasantly like "chunky" jewelry. Going with the 38mm didn't change that by much ... so I figured I'd go for the larger screen for greater reading comfort. I'm happy with my decision.

FWIW, I saw lots of Apple watches on ladies of all shapes and sizes at a recent international equestrian event. Most chose the larger case in black (black case, black band) ... although some had the rose-gold colored case to 'soften' the overall appearance. Again, I was happy I had gone with the silver sport case and white band.

I've ordered a collection of knock-off alternate bands in mostly bright colors (yellow, red, cocoa, and a red/gold woven style) to continue to the "chunky jewelry" theme.

Helaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Playa Grande
Fiesta Americana
Good to know about the scratching. I bought mine when they first came out and reviews and YouTube videos then said the Sport scratched but did not break easily and the Watch (Stainless Steel) didn't scratch but the glass broke more easily. I guess things have changed.

I was concerned about the size of the 42mm as well. I asked a lot of women in the store which they preferred on me and they said they liked the 42mm. I have medium sized wrists. After I bought it, I checked in with friends who knew I could return it - they all liked the 42mm.

The 42mm gives you longer battery life and the benefits of a bigger screen (hods more information, easier to read etc.)

I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Case size

Case size was a big debate for me, too. When the first edition was released we (hubby and I) went to the Apple Store and played with the various configurations. We thought we would buy immediately ... but couldn't quite pull the trigger on the first version. However, I did end up talking myself into the larger case with the white band. Indeed, when pre-ordering my Series 2, I went with the decisions I had made long ago: Sport (aluminum, silver in color), 42mm, White band. I'm tall, with long, slender arms and a small wrist. The watch does look huge -- but so much so as to appear pleasantly like "chunky" jewelry. Going with the 38mm didn't change that by much ... so I figured I'd go for the larger screen for greater reading comfort. I'm happy with my decision.

FWIW, I saw lots of Apple watches on ladies of all shapes and sizes at a recent international equestrian event. Most chose the larger case in black (black case, black band) ... although some had the rose-gold colored case to 'soften' the overall appearance. Again, I was happy I had gone with the silver sport case and white band.

I've ordered a collection of knock-off alternate bands in mostly bright colors (yellow, red, cocoa, and a red/gold woven style) to continue to the "chunky jewelry" theme.

Thanks! I had a workshop at the Apple Store yesterday. They were still too busy with the new event for me to want to take up their time just trying on when I am not ready to purchase so I just "window shopped" the cases and bands. Still torn. I am 5'4" tall and not slim. I am overweight for my height at a size 10/12. And I do have a big boned wrist. A good many bracelets in stores don't go around comfortably. Still the larger case really looked big to me! If I lived in Florida or Southern California I would choose the white too, and still might add one later, but I still hold to the old rules of Labor Day and Easter for white here. I wear both silver and gold jewelry and like the look of the pale gold case with the pale silver band but that band appears to only be available in the smaller band/case. My iPhone is rose gold and I like it a lot but I don't wear pink or peach clothing. However, I like the look of the rose gold with the navy, dark gray, and pink bands. All black seems harsh.

I appreciate your response! I am going to start looking at women's wrists! :)
Thanks!
Glynda

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Case size

Good to know about the scratching. I bought mine when they first came out and reviews and YouTube videos then said the Sport scratched but did not break easily and the Watch (Stainless Steel) didn't scratch but the glass broke more easily. I guess things have changed.

I was concerned about the size of the 42mm as well. I asked a lot of women in the store which they preferred on me and they said they liked the 42mm. I have medium sized wrists. After I bought it, I checked in with friends who knew I could return it - they all liked the 42mm.

The 42mm gives you longer battery life and the benefits of a bigger screen (hods more information, easier to read etc.)

I don't think you can go wrong with either.

It's so good to get this feedback on the larger size! Glad to read that a lot of women prefer it. Also I did not know that it has a longer battery life! Another check in favor of it! Thanks!

Glynda

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
YOU ARE RIGHT. YOU ARE RIGHT. YOU ARE RIGHT.

Yep, I should have purchased the stainless steel with sapphire glass. I've come full circle on this. Thanks for planting the seed in my brain. ;) I was the only attendee at last night's 'Apple Watch Intro' class at my local Apple store last night. I came home with most of my questions answered and a new leather band. By the time I'd purchased the leather band (which looks lovely and fully erases the 'sport' look ... making the watch acceptable at the dinner table), I'm <$200 cost difference between the Series 2 Aluminum and Series 2 Stainless Steel cases. I should have purchased the Stainless case with the leather band to start and then added the white sport band.

I'm still within the return/exchange window -- but there are no Series 2, 42mm, Stainless with either the sport or leather band anywhere nearby for pickup. If I could have done a walk in exchange I'd be strongly tempted to give it a go!

For the ladies still deciding ... try on the stainless case with a leather band. I found the basic tan colored leather band to look really nice on my wrist. Almost dressy and not the least masculine. (The darker bands of navy blue and black still impressed me as too heavy / masculine.)

Julian926

TUG Member
Reaction score
Aetna and Apple

Insurance giant Aetna announced on Tuesday it will subsidize the Apple Watch for some of its customers and employees, as it looks for them to live a healthier lifestyle by tracking and analyzing their fitness data.

One month with the Apple Watch: Pain, joy, and daily experiences
One month with the Apple Watch: Pain, joy, and daily experiences

The Apple Watch Sport edition has been strapped on my wrist for a month and for the most part it has exceeded all of my expectations. It's even better now that I realized I was wearing it wrong.

Read More
Aetna said the Apple Watch program will begin this fall to "select large employers and individual customers" during open enrollment season. While it didn't say how much of the Apple Watch it plans to subsidize, Aetna says it will offer monthly payroll deductions to make covering the remaining cost easier.

Aetna will make the Apple Watch available to its 50,000 employees at no cost as part of the company's "wellness reimbursement program".

http://www.zdnet.com/article/aetna-announces-apple-watch-subsidy-program-for-certain-customers/

Further, Aetna is developing its own iOS apps to remind customers to take their medicine, refill prescriptions, and contact a doctor. The apps, working across all of iOS, will be available in early 2017, the company says.

"We are thrilled that Aetna will be helping their members and employees take greater control of their health using Apple Watch," said Tim Cook, Apple's CEO. "Aetna's new initiatives will be a powerful force toward creating better customer experiences in health care, and we look forward to working with Aetna to make them successful."

The deal is big for Apple, as health and fitness are one of the key selling points of the wearable. At the company's September event, Apple released watchOS 3 with several new fitness features.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
For women who wear the watch, what size case did you purchase and/or prefer??
Mine was a gift so I didn't have a ton of say in it. I was given the larger one.

At first I was a little disappointed because I thought it looked so big but I'm really glad he chose the bigger one because it's easier to touch the apps. My friends who have the smaller version hate it. They say they can't use it at all even though it's cute and small.

Turns out one of the reasons my husband got me the bigger one is that he planned all along for me to give it back to him when the next version came out so we'd both have them :)

Thanks, VegasBella. Which edition (Sport vs Watch?)? Glad for that good report, indeed.

It's a sport one. I got a separate extra band that's metal to wear for certain outfits. I wanted the lightest weight possible because I really hate heavy jewelry.

I'll get the same type when I upgrade - aluminum case with a sport band.