*ads are disabled when logged in*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 23 years! Join the tens of thousands of other owners here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
  3. We completed the upgrade of the TUGBBS forums recently and are still working on issues/customizations/changes etc. Please post in the thread in the ABOUT TUGBBS section with your feedback. Note if you are unable to log in or access the forums please email us at tug@tug2.net!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone have the new Subaru Impreza?

Discussion in 'TUG Lounge' started by Liz Wolf-Spada, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Liz Wolf-Spada

Liz Wolf-Spada Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

I am interested in this car because of the good gas mileage and all wheel drive. I'd really like a new Forester, but the mileage is not nearly as good. We have snow and I'm a bit concerned that the clearance on the Impreza is only 4.5 inches, versus 7 or 8 on the Forester. Any one have any experience with this new car?
    Thanks,
    Liz

2. Liz Wolf-Spada

Bump as many viewers, no responders yet.
    Liz

3. skulipeg

skulipeg TUG Member

I can't comment on the new Impreza, but we have a 2009 Impreza, and love it. We live in Winnipeg, and usually see a fair amount of snow, and have never had a concern regarding clearance. The only complaint I have is that in cold weather there are a lot of squeaks and rattles, but looking at your location, I don't think that's an issue ;)

4. Liz Wolf-Spada

Actually we have cold winters and snow, sometimes as much as 4 feet. That's why we need AWD. I had an Impreza the first year it came out in'93 and it had a few problems including the AC. I replaced it with a 2001 Legacy, which my son has now. We currently have a 4 x 4 Ford 150 and need better gas mileage.
    Liz

5. eal

eal TUG Review Crew: ELITE TUG Member

We have a 2003 Impreza and boy does it handle the road under any condition. Last January we were getting ready to drive to the airport to catch our flight to Palm Springs, to escape winter. It snowed overnight and the Subaru looked buried. I told my husband we would have to dig it out in order to get it off the parking spot and onto the road. He just shook his head, got in, and drove in onto the road through DEEP snow as if it was the middle of summer! Gas mileage is great too.

Last year our son-in-law bought a Subaru WRX STI and is that ever a wonderful car, vroom vroom vroom!

6. Liz Wolf-Spada

Those are both great recommendations. I found out on another site they are planning some kind of crossover on the Subaru platform that will have an 8 inch clearance. Should be around by next fall.
    Liz

7. Passepartout

Passepartout TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

A 'crossover' would be unlikely to get better mileage than a Forester, and Forester is rated one of the safest cars available. If they are making a change to a well proven design, there may be some incentives available to soften the blow of slightly lower mileage.

Jim

8. Phydeaux

Phydeaux TUG Member

Not sure what model Impreza you're looking at, but if getting good gas mileage is important, you should take a look at Volkswagen's Jetta Sportwagen 30 mpg city/42 hy or their Passat diesel, 31 city/43 hy. Not bad numbers there ;)

9. antjmar

antjmar Guest

A friend is geting one soon (factory order) Are you looking at a manual or an automatic? The auto has a CVT transmission. I currently have in a AWD with a CVT (not a subaru) and hate it. I think the stick is a better choice IMO.

10. Liz Wolf-Spada

Can't look at VW as we live in the mountains with snow and need AWD. I do not want to go back to a stick, my 2001 Subaru Legacy was my first automatic and I loved it. We'll have to do some test driving.
    Liz