• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Anyone going to be in South Carolina for the Solar Eclipse?

esk444

TUG Member
Reaction score
I realized that I am going to be in Hilton Head Island on Aug. 21 and the solar eclipse path of totality is about a couple hours drive away near Charleston or up I-95 near Santee. I read that Charleston is going to have about 1.5 minutes of the full eclipse, but about 40 minutes drive north of Charleston it will be nearly 2.5 minutes.

Do you think it is worth the extra drive, or do you think it I will be just stuck in traffic for hours like entering or leaving a football stadium or concert?

colatown

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
Hilton Head to Santee is 1 hr 41 minutes away (assuming traffic in HHI doesn't suck and it always does when I'm trying to get to I 95), there are areas of Orangeburg County even closer to HHI with totality.

Almond123

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fanta Sea Resorts, Flagship Atlantic City;
The Bay Club at Waikoloa, HGVC;
Ka'anapali Beach Resort, DRI;
I am going to drive from Raleigh NC to Columbia SC on the morning of the 21st and hope to get there in time. I have doubts but am going anyway. The only good part is I am staying in Columbia on the night of the 21st so I won't be trying to drive out along with everyone else. We are taking our grandson and he is excited to see it and he is only 14 so it should be fun anyway, Good luck.

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
We are going to be in Myrtle Beach but I'm not driving anywhere to get a better view of it?

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Found out last night my 3 rovering sisters are on the West Coast/Near Portland wandering around for the purpose of viewing the solar eclipse ... very much that they AGAIN had planned a 'sister thing' which I stumbled onto. They live in Los Angeles, Houston and between DC & Baltimore....not exactly in the same area code as Portland.

If I get any photos from their now uncovered 'secret SISTER'S trip' .. I will post them on TUG.

Since I called my one sister TWICE in an hour ... and then called a 2nd sister ... when I called the third one, she answered. It was NOT VACATION GUILT that got them but really, I think since we have a 92yo aunt who lives within 2 miles of me ... their concern was "something happened to Auntie" so the 3rd one answered her cell phone.

Auntie is fine ... I took her out to lunch for her 92nd birthday to the Olive Garden on Sunday. Our waitress was wonderful and Olive Garden comps the birthday person with a free desert and the waitress also comp my desert (very much a surprise to Auntie & I). Auntie, as I have said before, is very much with it and walks well ... I just kept my hand on her & walk with her to prevent other people from bumping into her and to make sure the surface where she is walking is reasonably flat. And we do carry on a conversation during the entire time. Auntie has been following the Solar event news also. Her plan is to view it on TV as she does not want to harm her eyesight (she does do eye drops twice daily to stall her losing her sight - macro degeneration.)

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Forecast in SC and NC is for cloudy, btw. Here's hoping that changes.

http://www.transylvaniatimes.com/st...ts-cloudy-during-the-solar-eclipse/33430.html

My favorite line:
"It’s not unusual for die-hard eclipse chasers to keep airplanes on standby, in case they have to make a last-minute run for it to escape clouds. With mobility as easy as it is in the U.S., though, we should be able to look at forecasts a day or two before, and move accordingly to try and get into a path location that promises to be cloud-free."

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
Not sure that I would drive to Charleston for it given the traffic and current weather forecast for Monday. The forecast could change though.

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
Can you imagine how clogged the tv and internet will be if it's so overcast people can't see it?

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Our Charleston NBC station reported that over a million people are coming to Charleston for the eclipse. Flights are full and hotels sold out. Over two million expected to come in to the state of SC for the event. There is a 30% chance of rain and clouds are likely in Charleston. Cell phones may not respond well. And they recommend we disable automatic downloads during that time. I wish we were were heading out of the state but then I say that every August! So hot here right now!

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Western NC is in the path, and the forecast is sunnier and cooler. If I were going to travel, I'd head thataway. Good luck to travelers!

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
80% view from Florida

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
South Carolina is where EVERYONE in the southeast is headed.........many to Charleston and many to Columbia SC,
and many just out in the countryside. Traffic is predicted to be insane.

Walmart parking lots seem to be oft-heard destinations of choice.

I believe for 1200 Marriott Destination Points you can get a Walmart Parking Lot Pass for up to four vehicles,
a picnic table and two sacks of Krystal burgers. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It's begun here in Charleston but it's cloudy. Still an hour and so to go but not too hopeful.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are not headed to SC to watch the eclipse; traffic on I 95 on Sunday was awful. We turned around outside of Richmond,VA and headed home.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Our house was sure dark for a while. We were at about 90% in Denver. We did use a cereal box viewer and two pieces of paper, so two viewing methods. Rick liked the paper, I liked the cereal box. It wasn't as significant as I hoped.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Absolutely beautiful here in Augusta. Gorgeous white clouds covered half the sky, but the sun was totally unobscured and what we saw was spectacular.

99% totality (we're only slightly outside the "zone") but going in and coming out (still just a sliver like a crescent) over the past 45 minutes were fantastic. I suppose the rest of the moon's "coming out" from the sun will be simply a reverse process, so I'll skip it since I'm at work.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Amazing! Even with some cloud cover! My 95 year old mother was blown away by it!

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
We drove from the Charlotte area down to near Anderson, SC in the upstate region. Took over four hours to make what is normally a 2 hour or so drive. We picked a spot at a QT gas station right on Interstate 85. Unfortunately, a fairly large cumulus cloud started forming right over our location and threatened to remain throughout the eclipse, and it even started sprinkling a few drops of rain. So we packed up the camera and tripod and hurriedly moved about six miles northeast to the next exit where the skies were clear with about 30 minutes left before totality. Clouds started moving in there almost as soon as we arrived, so with less than twenty minutes remaining, we packed up again and moved five miles farther northeast to clear skies again. It was hectic for about a half hour, but we made it work. Photos shot with a Canon 7D Mark II camera with a 400mm zoom lens are below. It then took almost five and half hours to drive home.

20170821_TotalSolarEclipse_6937.jpg

20170821_TotalSolarEclipse_7000.jpg

20170821_TotalSolarEclipse_7052.jpg

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
You done good! They are as cool as any I have seen.