• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Any Southwest Airline experts out there?

ciscogizmo1

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Shadow Ridge, Timber Lodge & Waiohai
Westin: Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Villas
Disney: Beach Club Villas & Bay Lake Towers
Been awhile since I've flown SWA. I stopped when my kids were young as I didn't like the seating arrangements. I hate having to print out a boarding pass, etc... Is that how it is still done today? I see now you can pay extra to get a better boarding pass. How much extra and is it for each leg?

Anyways, I've been looking at airline prices to fly from Sacramento to the Gulf Side of Florida. We are going at the end of December. I see that SWA has the best prices if you can snap a $181 airfare each way. With free bag check this is a bargain. But I find only the bargin airfare to Tampa. FLL is a little bit more at $239 to $275 each way (same as Fort Meyers but they only have one flight a day so, I'd rather do TPA or FLL).

Anyways, are they going to have $181 price for holiday travel or should I expect a price increase? I did see on some blog the Nov/Dec routes will be released May 21 or something like that. So, I'm trying to decide if I should book another airline if I see a good price or wait for SWA. Right now all the other airlines are over $600. But if you add the 4 bags that would be another $200 so, $2700 to fly. Yikes.. this is getting expensive..

PStreet1

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
With Southwest, the earlier you check in, the better position you have for boarding. You can check in 24 hours, to the minute, before your flight is scheduled to depart. You don't have to print the pass if you don't want--just check in. (There are three boarding groups--A, B, C--and depending on when you check in, you'll be assigned a number within that group. They have numbered lines for you to be in depending on what you were assigned.

It's still "cattle-call" like, but that's their way of controlling costs.

For the trip (not each leg) it costs $10.00 to get priority boarding. You'll board right after those need assistance and you won't be in the lines.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
It hasn't changed a lot. You still print (or at least check-in whether or not you print the boarding pass- you can do that at a kiosk) 24 hours exactly from departure time of the first flight. Or pay ($10 I think) to book at 36 hrs ahead of the first flight- the price is for all flights for that day's trip. Your check-in time determines your place in the boarding queue. Since they allow 2 bags checked free, there's usually not a problem finding overhead storage space unless you are high in the 'C' group.

I wouldn't expect a price increase as the date gets closer. SW makes it easy to rebook or cancel- they just give you credit for future flights- not refunds- iirc.

I can't say we are real SW 'experts', but we feel they are a good reasonably priced way to get where we want to go.

Jim

tashamen

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Embarc points (former Club Intrawest), Trapp Family Lodge
Or pay ($10 I think) to book at 36 hrs ahead of the first flight- the price is for all flights for that day's trip. Your check-in time determines your place in the boarding queue.

Just a slight clarification on this. If you pay the $10 for Early Bird check-in, they automatically check you in and assign your boarding position within 36 hours of your flight's departure. So you don't have to go online to check in yourself - you just print the boarding pass out without having to get online at a specific time to try to get a decent boarding position. We just bought this for our nonstops from Hartford to Vegas in May - small price to pay for (hopefully) getting a decent boarding position for a relatively long flight. I wouldn't pay it for a short flight, though.

riverdees05

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, you are correct. I have used it a few times and have always got a pretty good place in line.

ciscogizmo1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks...

Okay.. I think, we'll definitely fly in and out of Tampa as the price is reasonable for me.

One more question, do you have to pay $10 for each leg if you want priority boarding passes? I know our flights will not be non-stop. So, if you travel SMF-PDX (you pay $10) and then, PDX to TPA (you pay $10) which is our final destination or do we pay $10 for entire trip from SMF to TPA.

I'm taking it you don't have to print out the passes for the way home. I'm not sure I'll have access to a printer.

Also, if I see $181 Wanna play price each way right now for October, should I see the see the same prices for end of December? I was wondering if prices went up for holiday travel?

Thanks for the help! My kids are older now so I think we can handle the cattle call again.

Last edited:

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I started flying SW back when they only served 3 cities in Texas and was a loyal SW coutomer for many years. I haven't flown SW since they changed their Frequent Flyer Program and will never fly them again. I'll just carry my bags and fly one of their competitors.

George

Nolathyme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Flights will probably be and stay high since Christmas is on a Tuesday

"Normally" the flights on the weekend before Christmas and around New Years are the most expensive.

The days leading up to and after Christmas are normally expensive.

Expect to pay between $500 - $800 per person rt.

If Christmas was on a weekend , you could get mid-week flights for around $250 - $300 rt.

When the new schedules come out prices may be on the high end. Normally you have to wait a month or two for their sales.

Also , car rentals are very expensive during Christmas time. They can be $500 - $600 a week. Book early for best rates.

Your best bet would be to leave on Dec 27th and come back on Dec 27th or after Jan 1.

ciscogizmo1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
"Normally" the flights on the weekend before Christmas and around New Years are the most expensive.

The days leading up to and after Christmas are normally expensive.

Expect to pay between $500 - $800 per person rt.

If Christmas was on a weekend , you could get mid-week flights for around $250 - $300 rt.

When the new schedules come out prices may be on the high end. Normally you have to wait a month or two for their sales.

Also , car rentals are very expensive during Christmas time. They can be $500 - $600 a week. Book early for best rates.

Your best bet would be to leave on Dec 27th and come back on Dec 27th or after Jan 1.
Thank you! Definitely, not what I wanted to hear but at least now I know if I see a better flight to grab it. Right now it is $2700 with bags on other airlines. Thanks for the tips.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
One more question, do you have to pay $10 for each leg if you want priority boarding passes? I know our flights will not be non-stop. So, if you travel SMF-PDX (you pay $10) and then, PDX to TPA (you pay $10) which is our final destination or do we pay $10 for entire trip from SMF to TPA.

I'm taking it you don't have to print out the passes for the way home. I'm not sure I'll have access to a printer.

One check-in for all that days flights. Not each leg. $10 extra if you want priority. Then you have to check in again for the return flight(s). If you have a smart phone or tablet, you can check-in on them and just print your boarding passes at the airport. The time is based on when you check-in, not whether or not you print the passes.

Jim

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks...

Okay.. I think, we'll definitely fly in and out of Tampa as the price is reasonable for me.

I believe it is only $ 10 per Destination

Most T/S Properties have a computer and printer for such tasks, but it is not necessary, you can check in on a smart phone and print at the airport if you want to save the $ 10/passenger and pay the 24 hour roulette

Your priority position will be assigned at the 36 Mark if you chose to pay for priority boarding

The call for families with children comes after this priority group

A1 goes to passenger with the most loyalty points when those are accomodated the they start handing out prioeority numbers to passengers paying the higher fee, a 1 day Full Fare Passenger will get a lower number than a deeply discounted passenger

Also, if I see $181 Wanna play price each way right now for October, should I see the see the same prices for end of December? I was wondering if prices went up for holiday travel?

Crystal ball is foggy - Logic says the Holiday Period will have higher travel demand and higher costs

Thanks for the help! My kids are older now so I think we can handle the cattle call again.

The business model is to turn the planes around in the least amount of time, since they do lot of short hauls 3 savings of 20 minutes equals another flight segment flown.

Although the seats are not assigned the Cattle call and queuing up for your place in line us gone.

They generally have two lines set up segregated into 6 sections of five numbers. If your boarding number is when they ask you to line up you will have a place in line reserved for you, A20-A25, meanwhile you can relax with your latte as you choose.

In August My wife and daughter went from LAX to Orlando on Rapid Rewards, paid for priority boarding an their cross country trip on SWA was uneventful. 1 Change of planes in Austin onthe way out, a breif stop in Albuqurque on the way back without a change of planes

Last edited:

yoohoo

Reaction score
As others have pointed out, your boarding position is based on when you check in. I have checked in right at 24 hours before the scheduled departure time and have gotten in the start of the B's on my first segment. If I have another segment, I am assigned my position at the same time as my first segment. My position on the second segment is generally in the second have of the A's. I have found that if you are in the first 90 to board (i.e. up to first half of the B's), you should not have any problem getting your choice of seats. Further, if you have stopover without a change of planes, you can move to another seat before the new passengers board. I would save the $10 to board early; it is not worth it.

As for the cost, try to book direct or without change of planes; you save a few dollars on fees and taxes. If you find a lower fare after you book, they will give you the lower fare and a credit for the difference to be used for a later trip. You can even cancel your trip and they will give you a credit. The credit is good for one year.

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
. I would save the $10 to board early; it is not worth it

I disagree, stuff happens and avouding the need to be at the computer 24 hours exacty before the flight time is worth way more than SOuthwest charges for it

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks...

A couple things:
1. If I can check-in at the 24 our mark. I never pay the extra $10.
2. You DO NOT need to print your boarding passes prior to getting to the airport. I never do. I either print them at the check-in counter or the kiosk.
3. Yes, prices typically go up for holiday travel. Your best bet is to book the 1st day December opens up. Then...if they go lower, rebook and have the difference as a credit to be used for 1 year. (credit can only be used in the name of the passenger).
4. Early Bird Check-In does not give you preboard after assisted people. It will be assisted, then business class (I think A-Listers) then you.
5. Boarding is done in a numbering sequence. No more mooing needed!

Bee

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am flying Southwest for the first time in a long time. I paid the extra $10. Do I still have to check in or does the payment check me in?:confused:

Thank you,
Bee

JudyH

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am flying SW to Tampa in April. 2/17 to 2/20 they had a "sale". Special prices every day but Sunday. I made a reservation late on 2/20, paying $630 for two persons. The next morning, they had a new "sale", with a special Tuesday and Wedsday only. I am flying down Thurs. and returning on Sun. So l looked at the new special, and the Sunday flights were lower than they had been 12 hours before. Since it was within the 24hr period, I cancelled the Sunday flight, rebooked the same flight at the lower price, and rebooked for $580 for two and got a refund, not a credit. Its not fun that it is very low to fly down, nonstop, and very high to return home, nonstop. I really didn't want a credit, since I don't plan on flying SW in the next 12 months.

squeeze

TUG Member
Reaction score
We (DH for work or family for trips) fly SW every week, so I would say we are more than familiar with them.

Actually, they have spot sales throughout the year (usually lasting from a few days to 1 week) and if you book within that timeframe the sales are very good.

We hit the $59 one way per person for Dec. 22, 2011 and returning on Jan. 2, 2012.

They have these sales for almost every part of the year.

My DH flies weekly with them for work and we fly very often for family trips. So, of course, he doesn't get to take advantage of the $59 flights (even if they are available:shrug: ) ; but for our family, we love to get the cheap tickets. Often, when they offer these $59 sales, you won't get your ticket for $59, but it is still much much less.

We currently have tickets for April and May and will be booking more for June and July when the sales come around again.:whoopie:

We also, are on the computer 24 hours prior to get our boarding passes. Anything A1-15 is saved for business class. So, if you get a boarding pass in the A's or early B's you will be in great shape for being able to pick your seats.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am flying Southwest for the first time in a long time. I paid the extra $10. Do I still have to check in or does the payment check me in?:confused:

Thank you,
Bee

You will be automatically checked in and assigned a boarding position at 36 hours before departure. You need do nothing, and can print your boarding pass when you check bags or at a kiosk if you aren't checking anything. If you are not checking bags, you can print your boarding passes at home (or wherever) anytime after 36 hours before departure and go straight through security and to the gate. Your boarding pass will have your boarding number on it.

Jim

Paumavista

TUG Member
Reaction score
Also used to be a fan

I started flying SW back when they only served 3 cities in Texas and was a loyal SW coutomer for many years. I haven't flown SW since they changed their Frequent Flyer Program and will never fly them again. I'll just carry my bags and fly one of their competitors.

George

When we lived in California we flew SW regularly and LOVED their FF program! We missed them so much when we moved and really hoped they would find a hub in the southeast. We kept our SW credit card for years building up credit.....now they're here in Atlanta and Greenville SC and now they have messed with their FF program so much I can't seem to get a good deal no matter what I do......I miss the old days! Ironic that they finally get close to us and we never fly them - We have found that they are NOT the cheapest airline flying from these cities 99% of the time. After so many years we have dropped their credit card as well.