• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Any Benefit to Getting Pesos for Use in Cabo?

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott Grande Ocean
Well Jimmy, I'm not after the best deal so the $30 doesn't seem like a bad deal to me considering the convenience. Add in the low cost of pesos this year and it seems like a real bargain, lol. My wife does our banking so she can head down to the bank to swap dollars to pesos before we head to Mexico. Easy peasy !!!

Bill[

We're here in Cancun now. Definitely convenient to have Pesos for cabs, tips and small shop souvenir items. No need to over do it with large amounts of pesos. Use a credit card with no foreign transaction fees for everything else!
I got pesos from an ATM machine at the hotel and got a very good exchange rate (about 20.4/ $1) but there were some ATM fees which my bank will probably credit back to me.

When a cab driver offers payment as $10 US or 130 pesos it's a no brainer how to pay. They seem disappointed when you pull out pesos to pay.

Also as an FYI, do tip liberally here. The people are all hard working, friendly and make very little in wages! They are very appreciative of tips and the kind words for them and their bosses about their service! The amount of tips won't make a big difference on your vacation spend but it means the world to these kind, friendly people! Wish we could take them home to help teach many US service workers about hard work and great customer service.

Brian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's 20.20 per USD. Oanda says that 10,000 pesos would be $466.53 (21.43 each) at the official bank rate. Send me the extra $30 if that's good enough for you. :)

Are you suggesting Oanda will provide 10,000 for $466.53? In other words, I can buy my pesos from Oanda at that rate, today? Or, are they simply publishing the current exchange rate?

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
This^^^^^^

I knew it sounded too good to be true.

As already pointed out by dioxide on page 1, you'll never purchase pesos at the going market rate, as those rates are published for very large transactions.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Bank of America's exchange for today is $10,000 pesos for $495 usd. Seems good enough for me.

Bill

That's 20.20 per USD. Oanda says that 10,000 pesos would be $466.53 (21.43 each) at the official bank rate. Send me the extra $30 if that's good enough for you. :)

I just stopped at the bank and ordered $5,000 Pesos. I probably paid a similar premium. Sure it probably isn't as good as you can pull it out of the bank machine in Mexcio, but it isn't far off when you add together the ATM fees and the 1-3% foreign transaction fees that many banks will levy on ATM withdrawals. On $500 US$, that fed could be $15. Add the additional ATM fees and you are close to $20. That isn't very far off of the $30 that Bill is going to pay. $10 for the convenience of having Peso on arrival is worth it to me.

Also, if the rates get worse, Bill is further ahead. Of course, if they get better, then perhaps not. I look at it as hedging against the rate. Will probably get another $5000 Peso if rates get better. If not, I will just get it at the ATM.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I think you meant the peso getting weaker ;)

Does this chart help at all? Does the date January 20, 2017 ring a bell?

View attachment 3121
I think the market has already priced a Trump administration in to the price of the Peso. We saw a big hit to the Peso the day after the election. Same thing looks to have happened after the Ford announcement. Not sure if the 20th will really make a difference. I think the market will wait to see how things play out. Though I don't think it will get any worse than 1:20 unless there is some big turnaround in the tone of the incoming administration.

Last edited:

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll be buying $1K USD or so worth of pesos from my local bank soon, but am still watching the rates change. I'm not a gambler, but my instincts tell me I can do better if I wait just a tad longer.... We'll see. No guarantees.

;)

buceo

Reaction score
Been there many times and never needed pesos. However, the USD/Peso conversion rate is now 1/21.5. Holy smokes. Every time I have been there is has been somewhere between 11 - 14. So it has me wondering whether this time it might save some money to use pesos while there. Anyone have a thought on this?
Thanks.
Any year you'll save money getting pesos in advance at an exchange rate better than that gotten at the point of purchase. That said with the exchange rate these days you are getting a lot for your US dollar, just a bit more or less depending on the exchange rate you find.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
I always use pesos or a credit card with no international charges, but I have a question...
When the peso goes from 10+ to 20+ to the dollar, does that affect the Mexican people as far as their daily staples are concerned?
I would guess the price of oil affects their daily prices, but as the price of a barrel of oil has been going up, have the prices of daily goods followed?

We always use Pesos when in Mexico. When we were in PV in November, we noticed that the Mega and local restaurant prices were the same as they usually are. So it was a great deal for us. We have several local places that we like to go to for lunch or dinner, and felt we were getting a bargain!

We get Pesos at a bank ATM and get the best rate. We have a CapOne bank account that charges no foreign exchange fees. We got to Mexico in twice a year and always come home with money to buy dinner, groceries, beverages, and taxi fare for the first day or so.

Last edited:

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Using Pesos makes it easier counting your money and saving you from over paying in US dollars.

bjones9942

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lindo Mar, Puerto Vallarta; Lake Tahoe Beach & Ski, South Lake Tahoe
I never understand why people would not want to use the currency of the country they are in. I travel to mexico several times a year and now have a Mexican bank account, so it's fairly easy to exchange USD for MXN. I paid a little premium on my last visit over the published rate, but it was the best rate I saw anyone getting at the time. One concern for me is that people in some of the Puerto Vallarta Facebook forums are reporting having an increasingly hard time exchanging at banks when they don't have an account - even when trying to use their US/CAN debit cards in ATM's. I would prefer to use my no fee credit cards, but many of the places I buy from don't take credit cards.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Well thanks to this thread I have learned a new trick. Bank of America gave us 10,000 pesos and the cost was $495 or $20.20 peso to $1 USD. Too easy, imo. :D

Bill