• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Another Newbie

kamloops dave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok, So I sat through the presentation at the Grandview in Las Vegas and convinced myself that it is what I wanted by way of a permanent vacation solution, I am not going to cry over spilt milk as I have read through all of the pitfalls that many have suffered, am I right in assuming that providing that I am happy with the resort I chose, and have no interest in exchanging, as this seems to be where all the worries start, that I can just look forward to many worry free years, I purchased 49000 points which I understand provides me with a one bedroom, 1 week per hear, as well as a free week which I believe I have to pay a fee to activate, I must be like many that bought and am only now starting to consider what I am able to do, the 5 hours spent going over everything they throw at you during the sell, is now just a blur, I will be looking to TUG members for help and guidance during this learning period for sure, am even wondering if I should also now, look to buy more points which would give me extra weeks or more accommodation, any more advanced thoughts would be appreciated.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
WHEN did you sign the contract?

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are within the rescission period, by all means do so!!!!!!!

If you are happy, we're happy. You overpaid, but I gather that you are well past the rescission period, so that's water over the dam. There is nothing wrong with the resort and it will allow you to exchange within the system at no or low cost. I understand you also got49K (RCI?) Points? It's kind of an either/or deal. You either use the week you bought or the points. I get a similar number of RCI Points and I can get far more use from the points than the underlying week. But that's me- not you. I was just looking for another person and Grandview Las Vegas was (and usually is) available as an RCI Last Call for $269 a week. If you use the points that come with your ownership, and simply rent at Grandview, that looks like the better use of what you bought.

In short, stick around here- learn about TS. Don't consider buying more until you fully understand what your goals are.

Unlike what your post said, the problems and unhappiness don't spring from exchanging. It comes from getting screwed by developer's salesweasels.

When you get using your points to travel around, you may want to spring for the $15 TUG membership so you can look at reviews of resorts around the world. It will be money well spent.

Best wishes and Welcome to TUG!

Jim Ricks

Last edited:

kamloops dave

TUG Member
Reaction score
WHEN did you sign the contract?

Hi Denise, we signed on Monday and are beyond canceling, I am not too worried about the money side, as long as some of the horror stories I have read regarding using the points to maybe go somewhere different, don't happen to me, it's still early in this for me, so I have time to learn

kamloops dave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Jim, from my limited understanding of all this, I bought the points that translated to one week, the extra week was a sweetener, if I'm wrong about that, then the learning curve is going to be huge I guess, will look forward to joining all on here and releasing to walk

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Hi Denise, we signed on Monday and are beyond canceling, I am not too worried about the money side, as long as some of the horror stories I have read regarding using the points to maybe go somewhere different, don't happen to me, it's still early in this for me, so I have time to learn

You have 5 days in Nevada - You can and should rescind TODAY! You can buy this TS for $1 on ebay. DO IT NOW! Find a post office that is open, or send a FAX or a telegram but do it!

More info. about rescinding (I wrote this for another resort, but all the basics apply to you) - http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74493

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you signed on Monday, today (Friday) is day 5. You can get today's postmark at the self-serve kiosk at a U.S. Post Office and save yourself thousand$. Until Midnight. Get moving!! Nothing fancy, just 'I wish to cancel contract #xxxxx signed (both husband and wife if both signed the contract)

But as I said the points are an either/or situation. You can get one week's use of a unit at the resort, or the points. Not both. You can use the points like currency to book resorts worldwide. 49K isn't the biggest bundle, but it's usable. You should be able to go to lots of middle-of-the- road TSs along the type as Grandview. Probably won't get Disney or Marriott/Hyatt (they don't use RCI) quality. we have gone to Spain, Portugal, Italy, Orlando, S. Cal beach resorts, Many Mexico resorts on about that many points with some left over for last-minute (30 days before move-in) reservations.

Anyway, if today is day 5, get thee to the post office!

Jim

kamloops dave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Am at home up here in Canada, so am about to fax with number found referring to a number of law suits that were delivered

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well done! There should be rescission info near the end of where you were signing with phone/fax number and address. follow the instructions as close as possible (Certified mail receipt requested) It's unlikely to be at the office in Las Vegas, but the important thing is as early a postmark as possible.

Fax and e-mail are probably not binding, but will certainly show your intent to rescind and in time. (just!)

Keep us informed.

Jim

kamloops dave

TUG Member
Reaction score
hey thanks to you guys, i faxed it through and would have left it at that, but have just realised we have a mail franking machine at work, so i will drive over there and get an envelope stamped with todays date, hope that sorts it out, guess i will have a good few weeks sweating on the outcome.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
The purchase is not bad, but buy it resale. You will save so much money, and the resale points are exactly the same as the points you were going to buy.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dave, good job, now that we have your attention, here's an example of what's available: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2BR-LOCKOFF...40755198290?pt=Timeshares&hash=item20c5a9e152 There are several on eBay, and that isn't counting what's in the TUG classifieds and other places. Remember, points is points. There is no difference if you buy them resale or from the developer except the price.

If you put the down payment on a credit card, cancel that charge and send the CC outfit a copy of your rescission letter.

We think that since you are within the legal rescission time, you'll be fine. Don't talk to them when they call, just tell them you are using your legal right of rescission and thank them for the tour of the facility.

Best!

Jim

kamloops dave

TUG Member
Reaction score
will have a look at that Jim, already looked on here for deals, have been told that they are unable to cancel the deposit, but if its not returned I can register a dispute with visa, have cancelled card to prevent them taking anything else, so onwards and upwards, :)

kamloops dave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just a footnote and a thank you, today i received confirmation that my cancellation had been received and a full refund has now been made to my accounts, I will be letting things take their natural course now, and start hunting for that dream timeshare location at a more sensible price, this forum has been a life saver to many i'm sure, just add me to that list, now a searching through these pages I shall go, thanks again :)

Toughbeat

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just a footnote and a thank you, today i received confirmation that my cancellation had been received and a full refund has now been made to my accounts, I will be letting things take their natural course now, and start hunting for that dream timeshare location at a more sensible price, this forum has been a life saver to many i'm sure, just add me to that list, now a searching through these pages I shall go, thanks again :)

Congratulations! You just saved yourself a ton of money! These boards indeed are an amazing resource as there are a great many knowledgeable and experienced timeshare users who are more than happy to share that wealth of information they possess.

Now you can breathe easier and take your time researching what type of system (points vs weeks) works best for you, home resort, time of year, etc. Ask questions and plenty of them! I've learned much by asking and by also reading when others have asked. Welcome and happy learning!

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good Job Dave! We love a success story!

Jim

kamloops dave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Jim, and as a new member I fully intend making use of all the information that is contained in these pages before making my next foray into the world of TS ownership, a huge thanks to Denise and yourself for the help you guys provided for me at the start of this nightmare.