• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Airport pick up Puerto Vallarta

Loggie

TUG Member
Reaction score
We will be going to Puerto Vallarta and need airport pick up ............. who should we use?

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Most people going to a resort from PVR would go out past the timeshare sharks to the taxi stand outside and join the que, but if you want a private transfer, why not email or call your resort's concierge for a recommendation? They would know who gives good service. (or who tokes the concierge but that's a chance you take anywhere.

Jim

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Most of the resorts will arrange for a pickup, at a cheaper price than using a taxi at the airport. They do that to make their guests less likely to get snared by one of the timeshare companies that offer transportation in exchange for signing you up for a sales pitch.

Your cheapest option is to do what the locals do, which is to go out the airport doors, then go to the left on the sidewalk to the foot bridge over the carretera. Cross to the other side and catch a cab at the taxi stand on that side of the bridge. That's a normal taxi stand that doesn't have to pay the airport concession fee. The foot bridge has ramps on both sides, so if you have an ordinary size wheeled suitcase this works fine. On the whole, it's about the same as taking your bag all the way to the end of the concourse at a major airport when making a connection with a carryon bag.

timesharejunkie4

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes you can schlep your luggage across the footbridge to save about 2/3 of the cost. We stayed at Villa del Palmar in November; the resort offered transportation for $14/person. We declined and took a taxi at the airport for 450pesos or ~$22.50 for all 4 of us. I believe they charge by zone. Here is a link to the cost of airport taxis, http://vallartainfo.com/transportation/

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
And if all you have is a backpack you just catch the bus (without going over the bridge) and take the bus into town. (But if your resort is in the Marina or beyond downtown (Conchas Chinas or further) them you will need to know how to catch the second bus to your destination.)

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are going to a resort in the PV Marina. Resort emailed me that they would arrange private transport for $11 USD pp. DW will be somewhat mobility challenged. Is this a deal or about a toss-up with taxis?

Jim

rpennisi

Reaction score
Sounds like about a wash to me Jim. The taxi would probably be more timely and convenient. Sometimes you have to wait for the resort transportation to come, and if it's a van, there may be more of a wait for others. I am assuming the trip is just for the two of you.
Ron

KarenLK

TUG Member
Reaction score
if your wife is mobility challenged, be advised that crossing the street to take the off-site taxi requires walking up a long flight of stairs, crossing ABOVE the street and then down the stairs.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
if your wife is mobility challenged, be advised that crossing the street to take the off-site taxi requires walking up a long flight of stairs, crossing ABOVE the street and then down the stairs.
Thanks. I'd already figured that out and rejected that idea. If price is more-or-less a wash we'll prolly go for the private transfer.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I think a taxi or the private transfer right in front of the airport would be the way to go. Sometime the $5 savings just isn't worth $5 when convenience is factored in.

Bill

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
FWIW - it's not stairs, but a ramp.

You can see the bridge in Google Maps street view here.

KarenLK

TUG Member
Reaction score
Then it has changed, I think...I always remember it being stairs, at least on the other side. Either way, it would not be an easy trek for someone who is challenged.

bellesgirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
We always just take a taxi from the airport stand. BUT we get money from the ATM at the airport, if we don't have any left over from last year. They will quote you US $$ but ask how much for pesos. Always much cheaper with pesos as they give a lousy conversion rate. That way you can save money and have the convenience.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Then it has changed, I think...I always remember it being stairs, at least on the other side. Either way, it would not be an easy trek for someone who is challenged.
Certainly not for the physically challenged. But the ramps do make it easier with luggage.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
It has been a ramp for a long time. It is steep for someone who is physically challenged. We travel light - 22" roller bag and small rolling computer bag for each of us. We generally arrive around 2:00, so pull our bags across the bridge and have lunch at Tacon De Marlin before snagging a taxi to our resort. I think it was 120 pesos ($6) this year to the Buganvilias. We also did the reverse on December 5th, this year since we had a 3:00 flight - Lunch at Tacon De Marlin and the crossed the bridge to check in.

sunshine3330

Reaction score
We always get a taxi at the taxi stand in the airport. I pay in pesos which is way cheaper than paying in US. I always have some leftover from previous visit or get from bank before heading to Mexico. Because I have problems walking long distances, the airline always has a wheelchair waiting when I disembark the airplane. The courtesy clerk will take us to the luggage claim area, help load the luggage cart, through customs, then to the taxi stand or the guys waiting at the front door to order a taxi. When the taxi arrives, I am wheeled to the taxi. There is no walking involved at all. Taxi would be either a van or sedan, depending number of passengers in your group. And I always tip the courtesy clerk who wheeled me at the airport. I should also mention that I have found getting taxi at airport is less expensive than using a private transfer company. Learned this through experience.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Six dollars? I might try it depending on how much luggage I have.

The exchange rate was 20.74 pesos per $ in November. This made for a less expensive vacation while there! It was 210 pesos from the Buganvilias to Grand Mayan, so $10 and from Nuevo Grand Mayan, it was 190 pesos ($9.25) to the Tacon De Marlin. We always use pesos in Mexico. I bring home enough to buy dinner, beverages at OXXO and taxi the first day of our next trip. ;)

chalucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Across the bridge are there larger vehicles that can take all our luggage? We have always arranged for a van pickup but walking for short distance seems reasonable.
We are exchangers into Grand Luxxe and only owner get free pickup I am told.

bellesgirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Across the bridge are there larger vehicles that can take all our luggage? We have always arranged for a van pickup but walking for short distance seems reasonable.
When we exchanged to the Grand Mayan in the Cancun area a few years ago, we got free pickup and we were exchangers. Our son and daughter with respective families, also got free transportation and they were not even on the reservation. It seems like if they do it for Cancun they should do it for Nuevo. I would recommend you contact the concierge via email and ask about their airport pickup.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay

No, there are not larger vehicles across the street. Exchangers do get picked up for "Free". It is included in the $75 fee that also includes, WIFI, Gym Use, and Santuario cover charge. Check your exchange confirmation - it was on ours with SFX in November (but, we were already in PV, so did not use it). It is also on our II exchange for next November.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
The stand across the street is a regular taxi cab stand. Full size vehicles and the occasional van.

If you click on the Google maps street view link I provided above and pan to the right, you can see the cabs lined up there, including one mini-van type of vehicle.

bbobo1812@yahoo.com

TUG Member
Reaction score
It has been a ramp for a long time. It is steep for someone who is physically challenged. We travel light - 22" roller bag and small rolling computer bag for each of us. We generally arrive around 2:00, so pull our bags across the bridge and have lunch at Tacon De Marlin before snagging a taxi to our resort. I think it was 120 pesos ($6) this year to the Buganvilias. We also did the reverse on December 5th, this year since we had a 3:00 flight - Lunch at Tacon De Marlin and the crossed wethe bridge to check in.

I just read your post that mentioned Buganvilias and we are thinking of visiting in April on a trade. Any suggestions for what to see in the area? What to avoid? It will be our first trip to Mexico.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
I just read your post that mentioned Buganvilias and we are thinking of visiting in April on a trade. Any suggestions for what to see in the area? What to avoid? It will be our first trip to Mexico.
Our family loves Buganvilias because of the location. There are several nice restaurants within a short walking distance. You can walk to the Malecon and see the downtown area. You can catch a bus and go to the Marina, Bucerias, Punta de Mita, Salylita.We can do as much or as little as we want. If you have walked downtown and want to take a taxi back, the cost is very reasonable. The Mega (grocery) is about 3 blocks away. The staff is friendly and you will find lots of folks who return each year that can let you know what not to miss. Puerto Vallarta is a great place to visit.