*ads are disabled when logged in*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We completed the upgrade of the TUGBBS forums recently and are still working on issues/customizations/changes etc. Please post in the thread in the ABOUT TUGBBS section with your feedback. Note if you are unable to log in or access the forums please email us at tug@tug2.net!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. With the upgrade to the new forum, tapatalk is not functioning properly and we have had little to no support from them in fixing the problem. That said, the new forum is fully configured to support mobile devices so if you are missing being able to visit TUG on your phone try disabling tapatalk and just using your phone/tablet browser to see the new look!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice

Airfare to Puerto Vallarta

Discussion in 'Mexico Timesharing' started by Asl18940, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Asl18940

Asl18940 Guest

We are planning our trip next Thanksgiving, and were shocked that airfare has gone up over 33% for a flight from the northeast US to PVR. The flights that are somewhat civilized (i.e., not more than 1 stop and not during ungodly hours) seem to run about $3200 this year, up from $2400 or so last year. Does anyone have any strategies they could suggest such as known cheap routes from a city to PVR. Then we could try to find a cheap flight to that city. It hasn't worked for San Fran, LA, Phoenix, Dallas or Houston. So I thought I'd see if others have found a better way to maneuver. Thanks. :shrug:

2. Passepartout

Passepartout TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

What has the price at your local gas station done in the similar time frame? Up about a third? Thought so.The airlines are being hit the same way. Fuel is their largest expense. Fuel price goes down, seat prices will, too. Fuel stays high, look for high airfares.

Jim

3. PigsDad

PigsDad TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club
    One issue is that Frontier has not opened their schedule beyond Nov 14th yet. That is our airline of choice to Mexico, but right now there is less competition for a lot of Mexican destinations for the holidays.

Not sure when they will extend their schedule, but hopefully that will provide some additional options and maybe spur some competitive pricing.

Kurt

4. jhac007

jhac007 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Ko Olina BC, Waioha BC, Crystal Shores, Kierland, Ocean Pointe, Eagle's Nest, Vistana BC, Villas at Doral, Mizner Place, Star Island
    I have been watching the same for several months and the price kept hoovering around $725 for one stop/decent hours. My thinking was to hang on and one of these Tue./Wed.'s it will drop into the $600 range, never happened...........actually it has doubled on occassion.:eek: My plan of attack is if it drops to the low $700 range again I am going to pull the trigger. My trip is the end of Oct. into Nov. (week @ Grand Luxxe and week @ Grand Bliss) and I believe the prices will be high this summer and may not drop that much by fall. The suspense is killing me.

Jim

5. timesharejunkie4

timesharejunkie4 Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

$3200? for how many travelers? We will also be in PV over Thanksgiving. We usually pay anywhere from $400 to $600 per person, nonstop now United out of Newark. I see you are from Newtown; we prefer going out of Newark instead of Philly for the nonstop flights. Right now the fare is $755 for our dates, 11/10 to 11/24. Usually I buy my tickets as soon as they become available but didn't want to pat $650/ticket. Hopefully the laugh won't be on me, LOL! I get price alerts daily from Kayak and am just waiting to see what happens.

6. Asl18940

Asl18940 Guest

I am pricing this out of EWR or JFK in New York. I gave up on Philly for the PV flight, though it's very good for Cancun. I'll keep looking at Frontier, but right now I am watching a United flight from PHL to LAX, stay in LA for a couple of days, and then fly LAX to PVR. The way home is not too bad from PVR, changing planes in LAX back to PHL. I think we all know the airfare is up because of fuel prices, but there are still some deals that are better than others. The worst I saw so far, while looking at LAX as a transfer point, is Alaska Air which will take you from LAX to PVR for just $950 pp.

7. easyrider

easyrider TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
    I bought tickets today to PVR for an unbelievable 50,000 air miles + $84.00 per ticket in coach. It looks like the plane is over half full 11 months out.

Last winter we only spent 45,000 per ticket in first class to CUN and for us PVR is way closer.

8. logan115

logan115 TUG Member

Have been pricing out flights from ORD-CUN the past few days for a trip in May. Cheapest I've been able to find is UA at around $550/RT, with AA at $750/RT - about the same price if I stop-over at DFW. Have some AA miles that I could burn, but for a non-stop AA wants 70K per ticket in coach and it's about the same with the stop, only difference if business class vs coach but on that flight I don't think there's a huge difference :doh:

Chris

9. Asl18940

Asl18940 Guest

Prices have really jumped. I guess the good news is that Puerto Vallarta is really hot. The flights out of Newark filled up 9 months out. I just paid a fortune for tickets because I didn't want two overnight flights during the thanksgiving break. Maybe they'll start adding flights given the emerging demand.

10. PStreet1

PStreet1 TUG Lifetime Member

Some people fly to San Diego, stay a day or two, and then fly Volaras out of Tijuana. I have no idea what the fares are now, but Volaras frequently has some very impressive sales.

11. pittle

pittle TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Grand Luxxe
    Buganvilias Sky Suites
    Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay
    Thanksgiving week is really high. Our "kids" have been watching so that they can join us. From Phoenix, non-stop is $804pp ($70 higher than the week before or after) and 1-stop is $750. Hubby & I are going for 3 weeks and Thanksgiving is the middle week.

I had been watching non-stop fares for $733pp for our November dates quite a long time and Monday I got a notice about a much lower price 1-stop fare. I was able to snag the 1-stop flight for $434.05pp and we decided we could have longer travel days and make one stop to save about $600 for the 2 of us! My brother and sister-in-law are thinking about doing mid-week flights since we will be there in a 2-bedroom the entire trip. They saw some Tuesday-Tuesday flights that were significantly lower than the Saturday-Saturday ones.

Keep watching and sign up for price alerts on one or 2 sites. I was using Kayak. Good luck!