• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
Status
Not open for further replies.

wjappraise

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Renters of cancel and rebooked rooms at low prices are probably not good prospects for the sales table. If a prospect says, well I'm paying 700 per week for my 4 bedroom presidential unit right now, how likely is that person to buy retail points. I would suggest renters of high priced ARP reservations are much more likely to buy.

Extra Holidays doesn't discount like that. If you will notice, their quoted fees are much higher than you will find here, or on Ebay or Redweek. So their renters are great prospects (want a nice room, but not saavy enough to check out cheaper alternatives - perfect marks!). Once Wydham takes their commission the owner can still turn a small profit if he uses cancel and rebook.

Last edited:

BellaWyn

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Renters of cancel and rebooked rooms at low prices are probably not good prospects for the sales table. If a prospect says, well I'm paying 700 per week for my 4 bedroom presidential unit right now, how likely is that person to buy retail points. I would suggest renters of high priced ARP reservations are much more likely to buy.

SO not true! Even renters that get a great price on Wyndham product often still get driven to sit at a sales table. It's the quality of the product itself that gets them there and they become curious about ownership. Not to mention how adept the parking pass dance is at continuing to pressure people into signing up for a sales meeting.

Case in point, have a very good friend that checked into BC today thanks to one of our TUG mega-renters that I recommended to her. They LOVE the 3BPR unit they are in for the week. Probably the nicest TS they have ever stayed in! She KNOWS BETTER than to sit for a sales meeting but they did it anyway. Then I get a call to go over the offer and, as we all know, it was chock full of elusive promises that we know WYN won't keep, would be a huge headache to manage and a financial burden she is not ready to take on. Gratefully our conversation put the kibosh on them moving forward but the point is, renters, regardless of how good the deal is, still land in the sales meetings. Happens all the time!!

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score

You need to understand that the discounts and upgrades I get go to my profit. I charge market prices. With few exceptions I don't pass the discounts on to my customers

I spoke to a sales person in San Francisco. They love renters. The pitch is that if they buy, they can stay at the Canterbury resort cheaper than the rents we mega renters charge them.

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
You need to understand that the discounts and upgrades I get go to my profit. I charge market prices. With few exceptions I don't pass the discounts on to my customers

I spoke to a sales person in San Francisco. They love renters. The pitch is that if they buy, they can stay at the Canterbury resort cheaper than the rents we mega renters charge them.

Fair enough. I suspect the discounts drop the market price of those reservations, but can't prove it.

I could just be jaded from continually seeing great Wyndham reservations in the bargain deals forum...

wjappraise

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Fair enough. I suspect the discounts drop the market price of those reservations, but can't prove it.

I could just be jaded from continually seeing great Wyndham reservations in the bargain deals forum...

You are right that fantastic deals exist on the TUG bargain site. However, these are the exception not the rule. Far more rentals go for markedly more on a number of sites. And the highest prices are on Extra Holidays site.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score

the few exceptions were I offer discounts show up on the bargain deals forum

BellaWyn

TUG Member
Reaction score

Bargain Deals for last minute rentals on TUG are forced pricing based on the TUG rules of $100 or less per night. Definitely the exceptions, not the rule.

Go to the TUG Marketplace and look at what people are asking for rental pricing. Even those prices however are often well below Market pricing because TUGGERs tend to be always looking for the best deal and know all of the other sites to search for similar product. Competitive market prices for TS rentals are almost always significantly higher than what you will see here on TUG.

Tank

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV South Beach Myrtle Beach
HICV Lake Geneva
HICV Gatlinburg
HICV Orange Lake Kissemee
I feel for all of you in this predicament, I have no skin in this but follow with interest learning. Hope things are resolved soon, I think its criminal what Wyndham has done here. I rent, not a mega renter, but this would have been awful to have to deal with.

That Bargain price of $100 a night has been the same for 20 years now. Can you imagine how much everything has gone up in 20 years? I know mine have doubled.

TUG is shooting themselves / us in the foot not keeping up with this somewhat, we all know some weeks can , and will go for much more in these desirable weeks and still be a bargain.

Hope this comes to a end for you all soon.

Dave

ilya

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have tried to rent on Redweek with no luck. Even prime week at a low price. Is there a trick to renting ? How does Extra Holiday's work. Has this option been successful for people? Where else is an option to advertise except ebay. On ebay I always see less than $100 a night for prime time and 3 bedroom, sometimes even presidential units. It really does hurt the small renters who only want to rent a few times a year. Any suggestions for other renting options would be appreciated..

wjappraise

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I feel for all of you in this predicament, I have no skin in this but follow with interest learning. Hope things are resolved soon, I think its criminal what Wyndham has done here. I rent, not a mega renter, but this would have been awful to have to deal with.

That Bargain price of $100 a night has been the same for 20 years now. Can you imagine how much everything has gone up in 20 years? I know mine have doubled.

TUG is shooting themselves / us in the foot not keeping up with this somewhat, we all know some weeks can , and will go for much more in these desirable weeks and still be a bargain.

Dave

Thanks for your support. It is demoralizing having to battle this for three months now. Fortunately some excellent suggestions here on TUG have resulted in Wyndham restoring some activity to us.

I agree with the need to raise the ceiling on the per night rate. Even if it was $150 a night that still constitutes a "bargain"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wjappraise

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have tried to rent on Redweek with no luck. Even prime week at a low price. Is there a trick to renting ? How does Extra Holiday's work. Has this option been successful for people? Where else is an option to advertise except ebay. On ebay I always see less than $100 a night for prime time and 3 bedroom, sometimes even presidential units. It really does hurt the small renters who only want to rent a few times a year. Any suggestions for other renting options would be appreciated..

Which resorts are you using? Are you certain it's prime time for that location?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

johnluyando

Reaction score
I have been following this thread for a while now and have been rooting for you renters from the sidelines. It's great to see that you all are getting through this. There seems to be more chatter as of late showing higher spirits.

I at some point aspire to be a renter.... as soon as I figure out how to gain access to Platinum at a bargain basement price.

Currently, I rent (from some of you) for most of my family's vacations. We are now traveling more than we ever have thanks to the bargain deals that we can find through various renters. Whenever I come close to adding points, I remember that I can rent for a cheaper cost than the maintenance fees. I have to imagine that there is a supply and demand component in your rental rates. If prices go up, my family will travel less, add points to our existing portfolio or find other accommodation venues.

We are strategic in our travels and tend not to vacation at peak times which certainly helps our budget. Admittedly, I am cheap and will only book if I get deal. We just got back from Bonnet Creek two weeks ago for which we paid far less than the $100 per night cap. If I ever make the leap into renting my model would be to cater to travelers such as I. There are many cheapskates out there like me! :)

Just some food for thought.

Last edited:

wjappraise

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

Dave

That is an excellent point, Dave. Can TUGBrian update this to a more realistic ceiling? I understand there may be site traffic advantages to the low ball ceiling, but it is killing the owners who provide the inventory. How about two tiers? One is "bargain" and it has a nightly ceiling of $200 per night, and the other is "bargain basement" and it has a nightly ceiling of $100 per night. That would allow for continued fantastic deals for some but also a realistic pricing for us owners. If TUGBrian keeps in mind that even with the bargain ceiling, some posters will post even lower prices, especially when they are literally last minute. So, there will still be fantastic deals available for all potential renters. How about it TUGBrian? Thanks for considering it.

wjappraise

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Today no one is even staffing the 1-877 number. Owner care is unwilling to help. They say they have no ability to do anything in the account. Why am i still paying program fees?

When my account was "thawed" I was told to continue to call the 1-877 number for such things as ARP and to change an owner name on a reservation to another co-owner (my wife, or adult children). I asked specifically via email if this could be done on the regular VIP phone line. The answer came back that I needed to call the 1-877 number and if I got voice mail to let them know when I would be available for a call back to get this completed. Well, long story short, it is one week later and I am still waiting for a call back. Wondering if anyone else has had success waiting for this, or if you have had success by merely calling the normal Wyndham line and getting a VC to assist.

Thanks for your help.

Tank

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV South Beach Myrtle Beach
HICV Lake Geneva
HICV Gatlinburg
HICV Orange Lake Kissemee
Its not that hard, off times you just can't ask the bigger amount , the flood of availability determines this. Peak times it is killing the industry because at cost would be a great deal for both. Is that so bad.

People are thriving on this , business and personal , and the timeshare owner (the one TUG should want to help) is the one getting stuck. I tried to help with renters asking for availability, and them being mad at how dare me to ask over the $100 a night fee. I'm sorry, but I'm not paying for your stay.

It was fair 20 years ago, It is not fair now. A bargain price is at cost in IMHA and would be happy getting a extra vacation at that.

Is a thread going now for 2017 MF's and its a eye opener, yes a few MF's are lower yet than that $100 , few and far between

wjappraise

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Its not that hard, off times you just can't ask the bigger amount , the flood of availability determines this. Peak times it is killing the industry because at cost would be a great deal for both. Is that so bad.

People are thriving on this , business and personal , and the timeshare owner (the one TUG should want to help) is the one getting stuck. I tried to help with renters asking for availability, and them being mad at how dare me to ask over the $100 a night fee. I'm sorry, but I'm not paying for your stay.

It was fair 20 years ago, It is not fair now. A bargain price is at cost in IMHA and would be happy getting a extra vacation at that.

Is a thread going now for 2017 MF's and its a eye opener, yes a few MF's are lower yet than that $100 , few and far between

I started a new thread with this proposal. Hope it can gain some traction.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
I started a new thread with this proposal. Hope it can gain some traction.

I've moved a few of the posts here to that thread, and moved it to the "Buying, Selling, Renting" forum where it will get exposure from all users of that forum. Please note that the TUG Posting Rules prohibit duplicate posts/threads so any further related posts should be posted there.

Also, TUGBrian may not read every post on every forum. You may want to PM/email him to make sure that he sees it.

Last edited:

BellaWyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've moved a few of the posts here to that thread, and moved it to the "Buying, Selling, Renting" forum where it will get exposure from all users of that forum. Please note that the TUG Posting Rules prohibit duplicate posts/threads so any further related posts should be posted there.

Also, TUGBrian may not read every post on every forum. You may want to PM/email him to make sure that he sees it.

Thanks for moving that thread out of this discussion. It opened and closed quickly but there was some really good information. Appreciated the link TUGBrian Posted. Was not aware that there was last minute section in the Marketplace.

henley1

TUG Member
Reaction score
If Wyndham does somehow figure out a way stop the cancel/rebook, I'd probably want to sell all my contracts (I have a Platinum account with about 10,000,000 points). Since i'm sure a lot of people would want do to the same, I think its quite possible that there would be no market at all for the points. So my question is, if i just stop paying maintenance fees, can Wyndham come after my other assets or future earnings to cover my unpaid fees? Could this affect my credit? Or can I just give them back the keys and walk away?

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
If Wyndham does somehow figure out a way stop the cancel/rebook, I'd probably want to sell all my contracts (I have a Platinum account with about 10,000,000 points). Since i'm sure a lot of people would want do to the same, I think its quite possible that there would be no market at all for the points. So my question is, if i just stop paying maintenance fees, can Wyndham come after my other assets or future earnings to cover my unpaid fees? Could this affect my credit? Or can I just give them back the keys and walk away?

Wyndham would probably take back most if not all your contracts thru the Ovation Program as long as your account is current

whitewater

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach (1Br, 2Br)
Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach - Monte Cristo Estates
Give back via ovation and yes they will go after and negatively impact you credit.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wyndham would probably take back most if not all your contracts thru the Ovation Program as long as your account is current

I am sure most Platinum owners would have borrowed and credit pooled their points so giving back through ovation is not so easy.

whitewater

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
I am sure most Platinum owners would have borrowed and credit pooled their points so giving back through ovation is not so easy.
interesting. are some stripping accounts via borrowing/credit pooling then giving back?

if so thats a good way to get use without paying MFs....

grey and unethical imho no matter how you feel about wyndham's management practices.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Give back via ovation and yes they will go after and negatively impact you credit.

Your maintenance fees have to be up to date to give back through ovation
Also the points can't have been stripped. They won't take them back if they have.

I asked and they wouldn't do it. What they said they would do is process the transfer up to the point of signing a deed and at that time tell me how many reservations I would need to cancel to generate the points to make the contract whole

Last edited:

whitewater

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
Your maintenance fees have to be up to date to give back through ovation
Also the points can't have been stripped. They won't take them back if they have.

I asked and they wouldn't do it. What they said they would do is process the transfer up to the point of signing a deed and at that time tell me how many reservations I would need to cancel to generate the points to make the contract whole

makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.