• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

A miracle: unlimited GPS & Wifi for Europe

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We're in Portugal for several weeks, and for months I have been concerned about how to live without wifi and data and navigation for the whole time we're here - since we rely very heavily on google navigation with our smart phones, as well as secure wifi for business every day. I don't trust those open networks at timeshares and hotels etc. and some places only have enough signal strength in lobbies etc.

First we checked with Verizon, but to have enough data for GPS was $10/day - too much. I looked into purchasing or renting a Garmin or some other device - too expensive and you have to download maps, etc. No solution was great. So we arrived without a specific plan.

When we went to pick up our rental car from Europcar (booked thru AutoEurope), they first asked whether we wanted GPS for the month - but it was expensive, so we declined.

But when we mentioned we have smart phones and wished we could use data for navigation, they offered us a portable unlimited secure wifi, for 75 Euros for a whole month. It's tiny, goes in my pocket everywhere. We can connect unlimited # of devices, it's fast, and is a pure miracle. I never knew about this! We are using google navigation every day (the same google lady lives here!) and would be so lost without it. I have no idea how we did our previous European trips with paper maps and nothing else. I can take care of email from the road, work and play, post pictures, day and evening.

I'm not sure whether this has ever been mentioned on TUG, but wanted to make sure others know about this option. :cheer:

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Sounds great. Any more details?

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Sounds great. Any more details?

I googled, and looks like it's described here:

http://news.europcar.co.uk/europcar-brings-4g-mobile-wifi-to-airport-locations/

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTop...-Mobile_Wifi_Rentals_with_Europcar-Italy.html

We picked our car up in Faro and I'm sure our device is 4G.

Edited to add: someone on tripadvisor posted they got one from Hertz at Marseilles for 1 Euro per day. So our 75 Euro cost wouldn't be the least expensive (still worth it).

In the future, before booking a car, I'd contact the company at the pick-up location to make sure it's an option, and if not, I would keep rental-car shopping.

Last edited:

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Sounds like it's just a mifi. Good to know they're renting them, but you can save with your own unit (or just use your phone) and a local SIM. I bought 3UK's prepaid SIM and a month of unlimited data in the UK, lots of minutes and texts and up to 25GB in their "feel at home" countries for just £25.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
It seems that we in the USA get ripped off on internet coverage? I have always read that those in Europe pay far less for what turns out to be faster service...

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
OK, it must be a mifi. I had heard the term but never knew what they were.

I didn't want to put a SIM card in my phone because I wanted to keep my regular phone # for people including business contacts to be able to contact me - as I recall a SIM card assigns a new #.

Anyway, this was so simple, if more expensive. I did add Verizon's international plan on my phone for $40/mo, for 100 minutes of calling and unlimited texts. So now I have everything I need.

Previous trips we'd bought a flip phone and added SIM cards. One trip it finally worked, but had to get help to translate because it spoke Italian. Second trip, we solicited help and the various tech-oriented people we asked couldn't ever get it to function. So I just wasn't up for tech challenges this time.

We're also using it for walking directions in towns, in addition to driving - we used to first have to locate the tourist info offices for a walking map, this is so much more efficient. And here in Portugal we have found very few roads are sign-posted, which always makes for interesting if frustrating sojourns. Love that little blue arrow to show us exactly where we are.

Linda74

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
While I always purchase a data and voice plan, I have an 8 year old Tom Tom that I purchased in 2008 for $400. It has European maps and has guided everywhere thru the most remote villages in Italy, Austria, etc. it seemed expensive then but has saved much time being lost!!!!

Bill4728

Reaction score
Cricket cell service has plans with 5 gb of data and unlimited calls and txt for $50. ( in north america) For an extra $10/month (in a single European country) you get the same data and service in that country.

We just switched and we'll save more than $170/month just in the US and Canada and when we travel to Europe will save a whole lot more.

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
It is MiFi and they call it Wireless Broadband here in the UK.You can get prepaid, or "one-month contract" which is probably the best deal for visitors. But the box will probably cost £30, so the deal from the car rental place may be best, unless part of your trip is without car, as it certainly should be.

The biggest player in this field is EE, but also O2, 3, or Vodaphone, which are the other big players in mobile phones. Check them out online, but buy in person when you arrive ... there's always some sale going on.

T-mobile phones (even prepaid ones) have free texting and data (and 20-cent talk minutes) in 140+ countries. The data is plenty fast for e-mail and navigating and even VoIP like Viber or WhatsApp, but not video.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sounds like it's just a mifi. Good to know they're renting them, but you can save with your own unit (or just use your phone) and a local SIM. I bought 3UK's prepaid SIM and a month of unlimited data in the UK, lots of minutes and texts and up to 25GB in their "feel at home" countries for just £25.

Can you please remind me the name of the SIM you bought for your U.K. Travels?

ronandjoan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Telemark, Townhouses at St Augustine Beach and Tennis Club, Stoneridge Resort (ID)
Nice that worked out for you Laurie!! Have a wonderful time .
I googled, and looks like it's described here:

http://news.europcar.co.uk/europcar-brings-4g-mobile-wifi-to-airport-locations/

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTop...-Mobile_Wifi_Rentals_with_Europcar-Italy.html

We picked our car up in Faro and I'm sure our device is 4G.

Edited to add: someone on tripadvisor posted they got one from Hertz at Marseilles for 1 Euro per day. So our 75 Euro cost wouldn't be the least expensive (still worth it).

In the future, before booking a car, I'd contact the company at the pick-up location to make sure it's an option, and if not, I would keep rental-car shopping.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Can you please remind me the name of the SIM you bought for your U.K. Travels?

It's exactly what I wrote... 3UK (www.three.co.uk). I'll be using it next week myself in Europe!

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
It is MiFi and they call it Wireless Broadband here in the UK.You can get prepaid, or "one-month contract" which is probably the best deal for visitors. But the box will probably cost £30, so the deal from the car rental place may be best, unless part of your trip is without car, as it certainly should be.

The biggest player in this field is EE, but also O2, 3, or Vodaphone, which are the other big players in mobile phones. Check them out online, but buy in person when you arrive ... there's always some sale going on.

T-mobile phones (even prepaid ones) have free texting and data (and 20-cent talk minutes) in 140+ countries. The data is plenty fast for e-mail and navigating and even VoIP like Viber or WhatsApp, but not video.
Doing a three week Scotland, Ireland, London next fall and a two week Italy trip in the spring. Will not have a car all the time and will not be returning to the Same airport.
Is it worthwhile for me to buy my own mifi and then "load" it for each trip?
Can the same one be used in the UK and Italy?

Or is getting a prepaid T mobile phone the way to go and use it as a 'hot spot' for my other devices?
TIA

PrairieGirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
It seems that we in the USA get ripped off on internet coverage? I have always read that those in Europe pay far less for what turns out to be faster service...

Does it make you feel any better to know that in Canada (at least Saskatchewan!) we pay far more than you do? But I agree, Europe is light years ahead of us. Our friends from Holland were so perplexed when we were discussing phone options with them before our visit "but wifi is everywhere!".

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've been at AirBnB places in Japan and a lot of the apartments offer complementary "pocket wifi" that you can take all over town. Visitor reviews say it's really good. This sounds the same as mifi I'm guessing.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's exactly what I wrote... 3UK (www.three.co.uk). I'll be using it next week myself in Europe!

Sorry about that, I thought you meant you both 3 UK based sims. That doesn't really makes sense.

Can you get them at the Heathrow Airport? And, do you have a recommendation for French SIMs?

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Son Antem, Playa Andaluza, Harbour Lake
Sorry about that, I thought you meant you both 3 UK based sims. That doesn't really makes sense.

Can you get them at the Heathrow Airport? And, do you have a recommendation for French SIMs?

You won't need a separate French SIM if you opt for a Three one as the Three network allows you to use your allowance in a number of other countries without incurring additional expense.

http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Phones/Feel_At_Home