• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

A little pile of dust...what kind of bug?

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC
Hello,

So before I call the exterminators and spend a fortune, I wanted to find out if anyone has experience with this:

I keep finding a teeny tiny pile of dark "dust" on the top edge of the electrical outlet plate that is below the vanity cabinet in the bathroom. When I look at the bottom of the vanity cabinet directly above the tiny pile of "dust," I see where some critter/bug or creature is doing something because there is a small messy area. Digging a hole? I am not sure what is there. My DH says that we might remove the cabinet and see what is going on, or else call pest control. We could also just spray some sort of poison in the area and see what happens.

When I clean up the pile of dust, it just reappears the next day, so this bug is active, probably at night? Or it is just so small, it takes all day for another small pile to appear.

I don't know what termites do, if this is what they do, or whether we have to spend a fortune on this instead of my buying tickets for four to Orlando for Thanksgiving (yes, somehow timeshare vacations are always foremost on my mind...:rolleyes: ).

So if anyone has an idea or suggestion, I'd love to hear it. Thanks!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We had a very similar problem when we first moved into our new home. We noticed little piles of fine sawdust in some of our kitchen drawers. We called the builder who sent out their cabinet people. The house was new so it was covered by warranty. They told us it was a bug that lived in the wood but was not termites. They don't spread to other areas but just stay in that piece of wood. They said they were in the wood when the cabinets were built. The only solution was to replace the infected wood. They replaced the wood and we haven't had any problem since and that was 8 years ago.

Reaction score
We had a very similar problem when we first moved into our new home. We noticed little piles of fine sawdust in some of our kitchen drawers. We called the builder who sent out their cabinet people. The house was new so it was covered by warranty. They told us it was a bug that lived in the wood but was not termites. They don't spread to other areas but just stay in that piece of wood. They said they were in the wood when the cabinets were built. The only solution was to replace the infected wood. They replaced the wood and we haven't had any problem since and that was 8 years ago.

sounds like what we call "woodworm" - google this for more info!

if it is localised to one item of furniture it should be easy to clear up - in the UK we can buy cans of "woodworm killer" which you spray into holes. no more piles of dust mean you've got them all!

it only becomes a problem if it spreads into the fabric of the house, which is unlikely if it is localised to one item of furniture - over here its only really a problem in very old houses where the wooden beams and floors have been infected for many years.

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
If the droppings seem like little brown balls then it's probably termites.

Don

TUG Member
Reaction score
Carpenter ants. We have some in a piece of driftwood by our front porch. They leave little spots of dust under their holes.

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas 2
Marriott Grand Chateau
Well, we called the pest control people, and I suspect that is what the OP will end up doing.

Yes, termites do leave "termite exhaust" behind (this is, after all, a polite thread). To me, these look like very small, fine pellets.

We had a different problem. We noticed very fine powder-like particles of dust below some of our cabinets. Also, we later realized (when the pest control people pointed it out) that there were multiple small burr holes in the wood of the cabinets.

Our uninvited guest was the powder post beetle. Nasty bugger, and capable of spreading to infect other wood in the house. (The little holes we saw were places where the insects had bored through the wood, allowing them to fly elsewhere.) Apparently, this pest was already inside the wood when the cabinets were installed, and it can take many years to recognize the infestation.

Hopefully you have some other cause for your problem. We ended up needing to do a whole house fumigation. Powder post beetles are much harder to kill than termites - it took a higher dose of gas than termites and required a longer length fumigation. The high dose of gas and the length of the fumigation added to the cost.

Denise L

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you to the bug experts! I suppose it must be one of these creatures, and it is sounding like I probably do have to pay the pest control folks to come out and investigate. Sigh.

It is creepy seeing the little pile of dust every morning when I brush my teeth. I wonder if I can take a close enough photo to post here. Well, I will try that and call pest control at the same time.

I will let you know the verdict.

falmouth3

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I was also going to suggest powder post beetle. We had them in our barn and the crawl space of our 1850 farmhouse when we lived in Maine. The inspector told us what it was when we bought the house and we had to get an exterminator before we moved in.

hvacrsteve

TUG Member
Reaction score
Youa needa toa calla the bugga busters!:annoyed: :annoyed: :annoyed: :annoyed: :annoyed: :annoyed: :annoyed: :annoyed: :annoyed:

Denise L

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Update: Bug man is stumped, no idea what it is

Hello,

Well, pest control came out today and determined that we do not have termites. He did not know what creature might be leaving me little piles of dust. He didn't think it was a beetle, or a woodworm, or ants.

He didn't offer any suggestions or service, either. He said he had never seen this fine pile of dark dust before.

I haven't had a chance to take a photo yet, but I will try this weekend.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Can you stay up at night and catch one? Put something it the hole it will stick to? The extension office may be able to identify it. Very strange.

Denise L

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Can you stay up at night and catch one? Put something it the hole it will stick to? The extension office may be able to identify it. Very strange.

Well, the mystery bug hasn't come back in two nights. Weird. I can't decide whether to be relieved or worried that it is going to bring more friends, lay eggs, or emerge from a cocoon! I suppose we will just stuff some pesticide in the tiny hole and see what happens. No new dust for two nights in a row!

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Tamar

Reaction score
I have the same problem like Denise L has!!!
Pest control came and was surprised to see the dust... no holes and no trace of bugs. The pile does not increase but miraculously appears overnight ever two weeks...