• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

A few questions [merged]

enamom

Reaction score
My sister is heading over shortly with all the paperwork that my mom got when she bought her TS a few weeks ago. In the meantime, from what she has said, it sounds like she won't get her first week ( I think she gets 2, or 4?) until December. Does this sound right?

Goofyhobbie

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
enanon,

Welcome to TUG.

Unfortunately we can only guess as to what you are trying to ask.

Please provide more specifc information prior to asking your questions.

Your Mom purchased a timeshare please provide specific information about what she purchased.

You mentioned that the purchase was a few weeks ago. Has the transfer been completed or is it just now getting started. If it is just now getting started you cannot reasonalby expect to be able to make a reservation for several months after the transaction. The deed has to be recorded and the resort has to recognize the transfer of ownership.

The documents that your Sister is bringing over should help you better understand what was purchased and the procedures for making a reservation after the transfer is recognized.

enamom

Reaction score
A few questions

I want to apologize if this is not the right place for these questions. I have searched a bit but am not finding the answers I need. My mom bought a timeshare through RCI weeks at a sales pitch in Florida. She's past her rescind period now so all I can do is gather information so she can get the most out of her new purchase. She bought a 2 bedroom fixed week in Kissimmee. Question 1 is, she got week 1 but obviously not starting until next year. Is there any way she can deposit that week in enough time to be able to exchange it or should she be planning on a January 2012 Florida vacation? Question 2 is, she got 2 weeks of RCI Extra Vacation Getaways. Does this translate to 2 weeks of 2 bedrooms or 2 weeks of whatever they have available? She wants to go to Maine next year, I'm just trying to help make that happen. Again, I apologize if these are stupid questions. I was not at the sales pitch with her and although I have looked through her paperwork, it is not very clear on how to take full advantage of everything (or how much it costs).

Goofyhobbie

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Welcome to TUG

Question 1 is, she got week 1 but obviously not starting until next year.

Once she is the owner of record (recognized by the resort as the owner) and has paid next year's maintenance fee she can set-up an RCI account and deposit next year's week 1 into RCI. She needs to make the deposit as soon as possible. RCI will maximize the value of the week if it is deposited at least 9 months in advance of the check-in date.

Once her week is deposited she can begin her search for a vacation in a different Unit at the owned resort or into a Unit that someone has already deposited at a different RCI affilated resort.

Question 2 is, she got 2 weeks of RCI Extra Vacation Getaways. Does this translate to 2 weeks of 2 bedrooms or 2 weeks of whatever they have available? She wants to go to Maine next year, I'm just trying to help make that happen. Again, I apologize if these are stupid questions. I was not at the sales pitch with her and although I have looked through her paperwork, it is not very clear on how to take full advantage of everything (or how much it costs).

She should have access to 2 weeks of whatever they have available at the time of her search within RCI Extra Vacation Getaways. She may have to periodically look for exactly what she wants because what she wants may not be immediately available.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
enamom - Welcome to TUG!

I have combined your posts to keep the info. all in one thread. If you have any more questions or comments, please post them in this thread, rather than starting a new one.

enamom

Reaction score
If we have a 2 bedroom ts, can we deposit half of it and still use the other half during our fixed week without paying an exchange fee?

chalee94

TUG Member
Reaction score
If we have a 2 bedroom ts, can we deposit half of it and still use the other half during our fixed week without paying an exchange fee?

if it locks off, yes. you would just pay one exchange fee for the side that you trade. (there is sometimes a fee to lock off, though.)

but not all 2BRs lock off. depends on how they are set up.

Last edited:

enamom

Reaction score
So, so lost

My mom went on one of those "free vacation" things and ended up coming home with a timeshare at Vacation Village Parkway. I guess it's through RCI weeks. My mother is about 1000% confused on what exactly she was promised vs. what exactly she got. From what I can see on her paperwork, it looks like she got a week at VVP with two adjoining rooms. I think she got week 1 but she swears that it is just one week in general. On the website under her account, it doesn't specify a week. Also, because she just started the process to buy last May, she was told she could not deposit her week for 2012 until fall. Then when she called RCI, she was told that she could not deposit her week until she paid her association fees to VVP. VVP told her that she could not pay her fees until the bill was ready, the first week of December. If she indeed has week 1, how is she supposed to deposit it with only 1 months time? At this point, she is ready to get rid of the timeshare however she can. She is getting really really frustrated since she seems to get a different story everytime she calls RCI, plus she figures at this point she won't be able to use her timeshare until at least next year. I am trying to talk her into at least giving it a chance before she gets rid of it but I need to provide more than moral support. Any suggestions?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Unfortunately, in this economy, there is no resale market for her timeshare. To be quite honest with you, she would be lucky to give it away - if it's completely paid off.

ampaholic

TUG Member
Reaction score
A stark reminder

This thread reminds us: there are no free vacations. You mom has in the words of Awaywego been bamboozled.

There are two parts of the obligation, the purchase price and the ongoing "maintenance fees".

Regarding the first part (purchase) did she pay the full price ($10,000 to $20,000) or a "downpayment"? ($1000 to $2000)?

If she indeed paid the full purchase price and has no mortgage she would likely be able to at least give it away - if there is a mortgage not so much. :bawl:

You might try contacting a lawyer and/or the Florida AG if she is old enough to be easily considered frail.

Just for heavens sake don't throw good money after bad by paying another bamboozler to "git rid of it"

Last edited: