• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[4/2008 Thread] What is the best way to shorten a sales presentation

Hoc

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Learning how to barf voluntarily on cue might pretty well cut short those timeshare sales pitch sessions, no?

Let me suggest (and I speak from experience) a heavy diet of tapas and Sangria first. . . .:biggrin:

Peter J

TUG Member
Reaction score
How I ended a recent presentation

I mentioned "Timeshare Users Group".

The weasel looked me straight in the eye and said "Never heard of them! Now let me get you over to merchandising and you're out of here...."

:D

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Its new just once

You should have seen the look of perplex on the face of the rookie timeshare seller in Gatlinburg TN we dealt with last summer when I explained to him in a low, confidential tone why there is no such thing as a new timeshare because by the time anybody shows up & checks in all timeshares are used-used-used.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

Alan - It has to happen in every timeshare but I do find it a bit ironic that our resale Wyndham Kingsgate actually got us a new timeshare once. We arrived for our third visit since buying and the desk told us "you're in luck. We are just opening building x (I forget the designation now) and you are going to be the first guests ever." And we were. Everything was brand new like a new house. Stickers on the toaster, range, etc - smell of new paint. It was great. Plus we literally had the whole building to ourselves as no one else was assigned until the day before we left.

Of course the biggest laugh is those who paid 90% more for their points aren't likely to get that thrill while our resale points actually got a rare new timeshare unit.

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Ok I admit it, I like to go to sales presentations. I like to earn the money and other free stuff. Plus I like to see the resorts and use these tours as a guide line for purchasing resale's. Now don't get me wrong, I, like most TUGGERS, know better than to purchase from a sales presentation. And know that I wont consider purchasing even before I sigh up for a presentation. Is this taking advantage of the company trying to sell the units? Or the nice salesman presenting the resort? Well yes it is. But when I see and hear some of their sales pitch and promises, I really don't care. What I am doing is renting my time to them and the higher the dollar per hour I can get the better.
Now having said this, WHAT IS THE BEST WAY OF SHORTINGING THE TIME BETWEEN THE END OF THE TOUR AND RECEIVING MY FREE GIFTS? I have tried several ways but don't seem to have it down to a science yet. Please share with us your ways to shorten the sales pitch and still get the gifts. I know there are some great ways to do this, its just I am not smart enough to think of them.

Load up on whatever gives you the worst gas and then see if you can actually make the timeshare salesman wince or cough during the presentation. If you can get him coughing, count how many times he has to cough during the presentation. I'd like to think it will get you (and anyone in the near vicinty) out of there as fast as possible AND give them something to talk about during breaks for the next few weeks. :D

As sadistic as I can be at times, I might have to try this myself. Maybe I can get a cousin of mine to go along with me. I don't know what's wrong with his lower colon but whatever it is, it ain't natural.

S

Steamboat Bill

Load up on whatever gives you the worst gas and then see if you can actually make the timeshare salesman wince or cough during the presentation.

I am posting this as a special TUG member request....please warn your cousin before attempting this diet.

User at your own (or close family member's) risk.
----------

Foods That Contribute to Gas Production -
Legumes - Most beans, especially dried beans and peas, baked beans, soy beans, lima beans

Milk & milk products - Milk; ice cream; and cheese

Vegetables - Cabbage; radishes; onions; broccoli; Brussels sprouts; cauliflower; cucumbers; sauerkraut; kohlrabi; asparagus

Root vegetables - Potatoes; rutabaga; turnips

Fruits - Prunes; apricots; apples; raisins; bananas

Cereals, breads - All foods that contain wheat and wheat products including cereals, breads, and pastries. Check labels.

Fatty foods - Pan-fried or deep-fried foods; fatty meats; rich cream sauces and gravies; pastries. (While fatty foods are not carbohydrates, they too can contribute to intestinal gas.)

Liquids - Carbonated beverages, medications, or powders

bobcat

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am posting this as a special TUG member request....please warn your cousin before attempting this diet.

User at your own (or close family member's) risk.
----------

Foods That Contribute to Gas Production -
Legumes - Most beans, especially dried beans and peas, baked beans, soy beans, lima beans

Milk & milk products - Milk; ice cream; and cheese

Vegetables - Cabbage; radishes; onions; broccoli; Brussels sprouts; cauliflower; cucumbers; sauerkraut; kohlrabi; asparagus

Root vegetables - Potatoes; rutabaga; turnips

Fruits - Prunes; apricots; apples; raisins; bananas

Cereals, breads - All foods that contain wheat and wheat products including cereals, breads, and pastries. Check labels.

Fatty foods - Pan-fried or deep-fried foods; fatty meats; rich cream sauces and gravies; pastries. (While fatty foods are not carbohydrates, they too can contribute to intestinal gas.)

Liquids - Carbonated beverages, medications, or powders

Bill, You are a funny guy. So this is the Gas and Foot diet. You eat these foods, they ask you to walk away. GREAT.

Nancy

TUG Member
Reaction score
child

I haven't read all the responses, so this may have been mentioned. We normally stay away from ALL sales pitches. We were in Hilton Head with 3 year old granddaughter, so decided to go because we figured she could not sit still, plus she was a big talker. Went to sales pitch. Granddaughter sat on Grandpa's lap and said nothing; was as good as gold. So much for using her. No we did not buy, but didn't shorten pitch either.

Nancy

janapur

TUG Member
Reaction score
I haven't read all the responses, so this may have been mentioned. We normally stay away from ALL sales pitches. We were in Hilton Head with 3 year old granddaughter, so decided to go because we figured she could not sit still, plus she was a big talker. Went to sales pitch. Granddaughter sat on Grandpa's lap and said nothing; was as good as gold. So much for using her. No we did not buy, but didn't shorten pitch either.

Nancy

So funny! Next time make sure she's tired and hungry. Sometimes the plan for kids to shorten the presentation backfires, as many resorts have wonderful play areas which children would rather not leave. :wall:

However, bringing a teenaged kid is another story. The eyes rolling and impatient restlessness . . . perfect.

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
You left out onions! My French Onion Soup is guaranteed to chase my family away for the weekend :D

djs

TUG Member
Reaction score
How about bringing a young one with you and then coaching that one to ask if they can pull your finger? My nephew used to love that trick, but he's caught on.....one of these days he'll catch on that it doesn't really matter if he pulls it or not :D

applegirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
My parents are going on a presentation Monday at the Lawrence Welk in Escondido and I'm so glad I found this thread!

Janna

tombo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Tell the salesman that you are currently being treated for Tuberculosis and that your Doctor didn't think you were contagious anymore, but that they might need to get tested if they start having breathing difficulties or coughing fits in the near future. Make sure and cough a lot during the presentation and cough in their direction without covering your mouth. You should be out of there quick and no manager will want to talk to you before you go to gifting.

Last edited:

NJDave

TUG Member
Reaction score
My response to that question -- why I came if I have no intent to buy -- is to turn it round on'm immediately.

"Why am I here? That's easy -- I'm here because your marketing department invited me to attend a no-obligation 90-minute presentation & receive a free gift. I told the guy I already have too many timeshares as it is. He said that makes no difference & signed me up. So here I am, at your company's invitation."

No guilt trips accepted.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

I said something similar and added that I wanted to find out more about upcoming projects. This was a Marriott owners "update meeting". The rep said that there was no need to tell me about the upcoming projects if I wasn't interested in buying now and was done in about 5 minutes. The manager then had to talk to us about why our presentation was so short.