• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2016] Maui Ocean Club pool/room renovations start tomorrow

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks to another Tugger who did an owner-to-owner trade with us, we're enjoying a beautiful ocean view (first unit behind OF) here in the Molokai tower!

Just a heads up to anyone coming this way, workers start draining the main pool tomorrow, and begin renovations on the pool area and units in the original MOC towers. We've been told to expect noise from 9-5. The activities schedule has been ramped up to provide other options, but it will be interesting to see how it works. Guests sure seem to enjoy the main pool - they start claiming chairs at 5:30am. Staff is promoting discounted (15%) beach cabana rentals, off-site trips (various discounts), and more activities around the resort to keep guests happy. We aren't "pool people" in Hawaii (too many other things to do!), but would love to get a nice discount on a beachfront massage!

Last edited:

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
For those of you interested, work was started today in earnest! The main pool area is fenced off, the pool is being drained, and they've torn out sections of the flagstone pool deck already. We're overlooking the pool, so definitely notice the constant thrum of generators and construction noise. Besides the main pool, they are working three floors above us, so there's a pretty steady chorus of hammering, power saws and drills, moving equipment/debris, etc. Best to be out and about while the work is being done - not trying to take a nap!

Here's the work schedule through the end of the year:

flatiron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Summit Watch Platinum
Marriott's Ocean Pointe Gold
Thanks for posting this, we are arriving in two weeks and didn't know about the construction when we booked. We were originally in an ocean front unit in the area now being refurbished but just used Interval e-Plus to move to Lahaina & Napili. These may be slightly away from the main construction but I also can't imagine all the displaced families moving to the two smaller pools!

Anyway how bad can it be, we'll be in Hawaii right :)

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club (x2)
For those of you interested, work was started today in earnest! The main pool area is fenced off, the pool is being drained, and they've torn out sections of the flagstone pool deck already. We're overlooking the pool, so definitely notice the constant thrum of generators and construction noise. Besides the main pool, they are working three floors above us, so there's a pretty steady chorus of hammering, power saws and drills, moving equipment/debris, etc. Best to be out and about while the work is being done - not trying to take a nap!

Here's the work schedule through the end of the year:

Thank you for posting this! We're less than one month away, and now I know what to request when I call for room assignment.

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Actually, I have one more question - did Marriott tell you what hours they'd be working on both the rooms and the pool?

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, they told us to expect noise 9-5. We're over at the Napili pool right now, and don't hear any construction noise at all.

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outstanding. Any chance you're staying in a room near the construction and have an opinion on the noise levels? We're partial to the Molokai tower, and will be arriving before they're finished (9/10). I'd love to snag a newly renovated room on a high floor, but my wife may prefer not risking my 3 year old's nap.

tmcasey

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are also at the MMOC this week in the Lahaina villas. While the pool near the villas is more crowded than normal, it isn't overly so. Lots of lounge chairs on the lawn area. So while chairs near pool go quickly their are lots of lawn options.

Tami

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Outstanding. Any chance you're staying in a room near the construction and have an opinion on the noise levels? We're partial to the Molokai tower, and will be arriving before they're finished (9/10). I'd love to snag a newly renovated room on a high floor, but my wife may prefer not risking my 3 year old's nap.

They're probably getting a whole lot of requests from folks who want to be away from the noise but I would hope that they'd give more consideration to a child who needs to nap than they would to someone who doesn't have as good a reason. In your shoes I think I'd call and speak to the Rooms Controller, asking them to use their best judgment for your specific needs.

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
We're on the 6th floor and they're renovating rooms on the 9th floor now. We hear them working, but it isn't terrible. The pool work is definitely noisier, but keeping the lanai doors closed and curtains drawn blocks most of the noise.

Quimby4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV II
Riviera Beach Spa Resort (deed back 2018)

We r on 2nd floor Molokai building right now. I am honestly not bothered by the construction noise. I think if u download a white noise app to your phone & play that in your 3 year olds room that it will drown out the noise.

The biggest issue is the limited amount of shade with the main pool closed. They moved the louge chairs to the grass areas, but there is limited shade.

I'm actually surprised how full the resort is this late in the summer. I guess everyone else had the same idea of squeezing in a last minute trip before school started

GaryDouglas

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean
Club Suites and Villas
We were there August of 2011 and they we going through the same refurbishment process. Our daughter had no noise problems that affected her 6 month and 3 year old. Unless their rumored refrigerator changes are noisy, I wouldn't worry about it much.

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you for the feedback! I'm going to stick with my original Molokai/high floor request when I call the room coordinator about a week before arrival.

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just to add, the pool renovation is supposed to be completed by October 15th.

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Any chance somebody here is currently at Maui Ocean Club in a renovated room, or will be in the next few weeks? If so, would you mind sharing some photos of the room renovations? I'm going to be calling the room coordinator on Thursday to see if I can grab one of those newly renovated rooms in the Molokai tower, and if I wind up in one, I'll certainly take plenty of photos to share.

gblotter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mountainside x 2
Maui Ocean Club x 2
Ko Olina Beach Club x 1
Any chance somebody here is currently at Maui Ocean Club in a renovated room, or will be in the next few weeks? If so, would you mind sharing some photos of the room renovations? I'm going to be calling the room coordinator on Thursday to see if I can grab one of those newly renovated rooms in the Molokai tower, and if I wind up in one, I'll certainly take plenty of photos to share.
Yes yes, please! Would love to see what the newly-renovated units look like.

toddc2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ocean Club
Just back from MOC

I had the first two weeks of August this year. There was plenty of pre-renovation activity and I picked up a few tidbits:

1. Pool is being resurfaced, likely a dark grey or black.
2. A new strip of flagstone is being installed behind the pool side chairs on the Lanai side. This is to add additional shaded areas.
3. The landscaping was cut back quite a bit the second week of August.
4. The Marriott Operations guys spent quite a bit of time at the pool bar checking out the lay of the land and getting ready for some kind of renovation. I didn't hear what they are planning to do.

Todd

Reaction score
We're here this week (just checked in this evening) in the Molokai wing on the ground floor. Direct access from our patio doors to one of the open pools mean super easy convenience. We don't see any upgrades done yet on this wing. The fridge is still half-sized and under the counter.

Will know more and share once tomorrow comes and work begins again in the morning.

californiagirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Any updated news? How is the pool coming along? We will be there in 6 weeks.

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We arrive in Maui on Saturday, and I'm hoping to get into one of the newly renovated rooms. At the very least, I'll update this thread with what I find out, and I'm sure I'll have pictures to share.

californiagirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I went to trip advisor to see if anyone had posted anything about the construction. One person said the pool won't be finished until DECEMBER!!! Yikes I hope that is not true! We are taking our adult kids and grandson and the pool is a big part of the draw for the resort. We booked the trip a week after the pool was supposed to be finished for a cushion of time.

I'm waiting until after 8 in Hawaii to call and verify. She was mad about the construction so I'm hoping she was just exaggerating. Thank you in advance NTP66 for your updates.

GaryDouglas

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean
Club Suites and Villas
We arrive in Maui on Saturday, and I'm hoping to get into one of the newly renovated rooms. At the very least, I'll update this thread with what I find out, and I'm sure I'll have pictures to share.

During the last reno, I went into one of the units that had just been done and asked if I can take some pictures. They were accommodating...

californiagirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just spoke with someone at the resort. The pool is on schedule to reopen Oct 15. Hopefully that will happen. Having remodeled two houses recently, I know that unforeseen construction problems can occur...

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Renovated room pictures

I was lucky enough to get one of the newly renovated rooms on the 8th floor of the Molokai Tower, and like what they've done with the rooms. Pictures are below, but as far as noise goes, so far it hasn't been an issue. Every once in a while you can hear a drill while in your room, but I'm not concerned. They're visibly working on the floors below this, and the only "issue" that I've come across is that the elevator can sometimes take a while if they've got people using them to bring materials to/from these floors.

Onto the pictures...

Bedroom

Fridge

Fridge

Kitchenette

Living Room 1

Living Room 2

Living Room 3

Living Room 4

2nd Bathroom