• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

2016-2017 Marriott Rewards Year-End Changeover, Status and Rollover Nights

curbysplace

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau, Marriott Streamside-Birch, Marriott Custom House
I always figured that the unwritten status of Platinum Premier required a lot of nights AND a lot of dollars spent. Well, I now have evidence that suggests it is primarily nights, and not just nights actually stayed.

For as long as I have been following the Marriott Rewards program the annual Platinum Elite status has been any combination of paid nights and bonus nights totaling 75. I have never seen any requirement to have a certain "spend" threshold for the annual Platinum status. It appears there has been some back-and-forth whether bonus certificated nights count. I know they counted in 2016. I do not know if they will count in 2017.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
For as long as I have been following the Marriott Rewards program the annual Platinum Elite status has been any combination of paid nights and bonus nights totaling 75. I have never seen any requirement to have a certain "spend" threshold for the annual Platinum status. It appears there has been some back-and-forth whether bonus certificated nights count. I know they counted in 2016. I do not know if they will count in 2017.
BocaBoy wasn't referring to Platinum status, it was Platinum Premier. A status that Marriott does not advertise.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
From what I understand Platinum Premier is a certain, unpublished, percentage of Platinum members that's based on a combination of earned Nights and Points taking into account both single-year and lifetime activity, but every year there are outliers that defy the "norms" that can best be expected from the limited official info. Reading flyertalk and other sources that compile info from those most invested in the Marriott Rewards program, sometimes the best you can come away with is the realization that the Plat Premier level definitely exists and luck can be a factor.

Boca, congrats to your wife! I hope you two have a grand time enjoying all the benefits! :thumbup:

curbysplace

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau, Marriott Streamside-Birch, Marriott Custom House
BocaBoy wasn't referring to Platinum status, it was Platinum Premier. A status that Marriott does not advertise.
Platinum Premier is new to me. Just spoke to Marriott Rewards and discovered I achieved Platinum Premier for the first time just yesterday, January 8. What the rep told me is that it is based on several factors in addition to the minimum of 75 nights, with the most well-known criteria being in the top 3% of Marriott "spenders". So I stand corrected on my prior reply to Boca Boy--I was just discussing Platinum Elite in that post. I had 164 nights last year including the 45 rolled over from 2015. A significant majority of our household spending is put on the Marriott credit card but it is still hard to imagine we are in that top 3%. The rep didn't really articulate the other factors for awarding Platinum Premier but he said they were decided in some way at Marriott corporate. Maybe you have to have some connection to Bill Marriott (which I don't have).

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Well, I just looked at the account we use because the numbers Boca and Curby talked about didn't sound too far-fetched, considering Don is already Lifetime Plat and now has 85 Nights for 2017 with 79 of those being Rollovers. And there it is - "Platinum Premier" showing on the home page. This is exciting!

KenA

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't think you can know that yet, because status drops don't occur on January 1. I think it is either February 1 or February 15.

The only way you could know for sure is if they sent some kind of mailer indicating status was renewed even though one didn't meet the required nights.

I suspected that, but curious why I show 0 rollover nights. If I am being bumped down to Gold, I should have 6 rollover nights if I understand it correctly.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
I suspected that, but curious why I show 0 rollover nights. If I am being bumped down to Gold, I should have 6 rollover nights if I understand it correctly.
See Sue's calculation methodology in post 1.....

"2016 Total" Nights Earned this Year
<less> "2015 rollover" Nights (from 2015 to 2016)
<less> Number of Nights required for Status held as of 12/31/16 (10 Silver, 50 Gold, 75 Plat)
<equals> Rollover Nights for 2016 into 2017

In your case....since you were Platinum as of 12/31/16, the rollover nights would be calculated vs 75, so you would have 0 whether they keep you at Platinum, or drop you to Gold.

They do not calculate your rollover nights vs the lower tier they may be dropping you to.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
I have been platinum for several years and was platinum premier for 2016. I have not seen any difference at all regarding upgrades at hotels or anything else. The only thing different was getring a tracking tile last year for becoming plat premier.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
I have been platinum for several years and was platinum premier for 2016. I have not seen any difference at all regarding upgrades at hotels or anything else. The only thing different was getring a tracking tile last for becoming plat premier.

What is a tracking tile?

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
Ok but how to explain that SPG shows my Platinum expiration as 2/1/18? Would they take that away?
I can't explain that, and I don't have a lot of knowledge of the intricacies of the Starwood system. I also suspect that Marriott Rewards will indeed keep you at Platinum for 2017. A few years ago when I had less than 60 nights after a couple of years at platinum they kept me at platinum the next year anyway.

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score

dualrated2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina, Waiohai, Grand Chateau, Desert Springs Villas, Willow Ridge
I have been platinum for several years and was platinum premier for 2016. I have not seen any difference at all regarding upgrades at hotels or anything else. The only thing different was getring a tracking tile last for becoming plat premier.

Sadly, I agree. I had it for two years and other than the annual gift afforded those who have the status, there was no difference between Platinum or Platinum Premier benefits.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)

frankf3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Wyndham points
Ok but how to explain that SPG shows my Platinum expiration as 2/1/18? Would they take that away?

Mine is the same, although my Marriott 2016 total nights were 54, (*fingers crossed*). Hope they leave us plat...

MALC9990

TUG Member
Reaction score
Status Tiers in the Marriott Rewards program are earned in a number of different ways. Whatever status level you've earned as of 12/31/16 will remain in effect until 2/28/18 unless you attain a higher level in the interim.

- Based on the number of Elite Nights earned annually:
Silver = 10 Nights
Gold = 50 Nights
Platinum = 75 Nights

* There's also a Platinum Premier status tier which consists of a certain percentage of the highest-earning Platinum members. The requirements change year-to-year and any benefits are unpublished. Marriott directly notifies all eligible members of this status.

- Beginning 2/15/17, (Marriott timeshare) DC Members with Chairman's Club or Presidential Owner status will be Platinum Elite MR status, and, DC Members with Executive or Select Owner status will not be less than Gold Elite MR status. As well, Starwood Preferred Guest Member status is matched when you link your SPG and MR accounts. See this TUG thread and various links within: Marriott Rewards Elite Status now based on DC membership / effective 2/15/17

- MR status may also be granted by Marriott using the cumulative history of your account or other factors, and sometimes there's no rhyme or reason to it. For example, a Silver with 45 Nights might be granted Gold or a Platinum who hasn't reached 75 Nights might have that Platinum extended. If you're one of the "lucky" ones remember that it could be a double-edge sword because your Rollover Nights will be counted based on the status that's extended and not what's actually earned (e.g. If you've accumulated 45 Nights then your status should officially be Silver with 35 Rollover Nights, but if Marriott grants you Gold then no Nights will roll over because 45 is less than the 50 Gold requirement.)

- If you have not earned enough Nights to hold your last year's Status level and don't have enough activity for the scenario directly above, Marriott typically will drop you only one tier. For example, a Platinum who has earned only 35 Nights will not be dropped all the way to Silver but will instead be granted Gold.

Lifetime MR status is based on cumulative Nights and Points:

Lifetime Silver = 250 Nights and 1.2 million Points
Lifetime Gold = 500 Nights and 1.6 million Points
Lifetime Platinum = 750 Nights and 2 million Points

Rollover Nights are all those accumulated in the current year above the amount required for your attained status tier. The equation to figure out how many Rollover Nights should be posted to your account when the year-end changeover is done, based on info in the "Nights Detail" box in your account, is:

"2016 Total" Nights Earned this Year
<less> "2015 rollover" Nights (from 2015 to 2016)
<less> Number of Nights required for Status held as of 12/31/16 (10 Silver, 50 Gold, 75 Plat)
<equals> Rollover Nights for 2016 into 2017

(Navigate to the "Nights Detail" box by signing in to your marriott.com account --> click on "My Account" at the top right --> click on "Account Overview" --> click on "Nights" to the right of your "Hello ____" greeting.)

*See these pages on marriott.com:
Member Benefits At A Glance
Elite Rollover Nights
Lifetime Status
Expiration Guidelines *Note that effective 2/1/16 the expiration terms&conditions are being enforced.

*Year-end changeover and Rollover Nights accounting will take place during January but each may not take place on the same day - watch your accounts and feel free to give the rest of us a heads-up here if/when you're seeing changes. During the past few years there have been incorrect Status and/or Rollover Nights notifications generated by preliminary changeovers, so it's a good idea to take a screen shot or printout of your "Account Activity" and "Nights Detail" account information on Dec 31st, just in case.
For the first time ever, I do not care what they do - Lifetime Platinum status takes away the worries.

gblotter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mountainside x 2
Maui Ocean Club x 2
Ko Olina Beach Club x 1
My Elite Nights counter was reset to zero, and they preserved my Platinum status for 2017 even though I was in the middle of Gold territory with only 62 nights (and of course my rollover nights disappeared too). Second year in a row that Marriott has been kind to me in bestowing unearned Platinum status. I suspect it might be related to heavy spending on my Marriott Rewards VISA card, but who knows.

I enjoy Platinum status for the dedicated customer service phone number, and also some nice room upgrades I have received.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
My Elite Nights counter was reset to zero, and they preserved my Platinum status for 2017

As others have refreshed my memory status runs through Feb 1. So if it shows Platinum right now then that is just the prior year status. It doesn't mean they kept us as Platinum. We won't know that for sure until next month.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
As others have refreshed my memory status runs through Feb 1. So if it shows Platinum right now then that is just the prior year status. It doesn't mean they kept us as Platinum. We won't know that for sure until next month.
The one time I was kept at platinum without enough nights they sent a letter informing me of that fact. I assumed that this was standard operating procedure, but I really don't know if that is the case.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am definitely staying at Platinum. I got notification in the mail today that even though I did not meet the nights requirement they are renewing it.

We are delighted to renew your Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite status for 2017. Although the number of nights required to renew your Elite level were not quite met, enjoy your benefits for another year with our compliments.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I am definitely staying at Platinum. I got notification in the mail today that even though I did not meet the nights requirement they are renewing it.
This seems to be quite common. They did it for DW a few years ago. Two years in a row I believe.

KenA

TUG Member
Reaction score
This seems to be quite common. They did it for DW a few years ago. Two years in a row I believe.

I just received my letter as well today. Glad to have another year at platinum. The Premier Silver with United helped us save some money on baggage and skip some lines.