• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2015 ] getting rid of starwood vacation ownership

Status
Not open for further replies.

Janet Godkin

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Palm Desert
Ok this is the last I am going to say. I just Googled it- Florida Insurance Law (since 2008) requires fingerprinting. So the fact is we were fingerprinted, but it was the insurance company's requirement. Google it yourself. Ps. Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Ok this is the last I am going to say. I just Googled it- Florida Insurance Law (since 2008) requires fingerprinting. So the fact is we were fingerprinted, but it was the insurance company's requirement. Google it yourself. Ps. Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
If you Googled it and found it, why not simply post a link to it to remove all doubt?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I Googled it. If you are referring to this, it applies to those seeking a license to become an agent in Florida. This may be a real estate or insurance or even any other type of agent. I see no mention of timeshare, but it would seem that the agent that sold you the timeshare was probably fingerprinted at some point in time.

A LOT of people on this forum have purchased timeshares in Florida and I don't recall any of them indicating they had to provide fingerprints.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Janet - What does that have to do with buying a STARWOOD/VISTANA timeshare???

Your profile says you own at Westin Palm Desert (which is not actually the name of any resort) but is not in Florida...

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Keep Googling- you'll find it. Or here Chicago Land Title Company
http://ricklevin.com/Libraries/Wintrust/1400_73rd_Street_-_title.sflb.ashx
Well, this is a sample title insurance policy for the Illinois. I did find the one reference to "fingerprint"

FOR COOK COUNTY PROPERTY: FOR COMMITMENT ONLY EFFECTIVE JUNE 1, 2009, IF ANY DOCUMENT OF CONVEYANCE FOR COOK COUNTY 3 CHICAGO TITLE INSURANCE COMPANY 1401 008886034 D2 JG JG 07/16/12 14:00:22 COMMITMENT FOR TITLE INSURANCE SCHEDULE B (CONTINUED) ORDER NO.: CMB1C06R 3/11 ML PAGE B RESIDENTIAL REAL PROPERTY IS TO BE NOTARIZED BY AN ILLINOIS NOTARY PUBLIC, PUBLIC ACT 95-988 REQUIRES THE COMPLETION OF A NOTARIAL RECORD FOR EACH GRANTOR WHOSE SIGNATURE IS NOTARIZED. THE NOTARIAL RECORD WILL INCLUDE THE THUMBPRINT OR FINGERPRINT OF THE GRANTOR. THE GRANTOR MUST PRESENT IDENTIFICATION DOCUMENTS THAT ARE VALID; ARE ISSUED BY STATE OR FEDERAL GOVERNMENT AGENCY; BEAR THE PHOTOGRAPHIC IMAGE OF THE INDIVIDUAL'S FACE; AND BEAR THE INDIVIDUAL'S SIGNATURE. THE COMPANY WILL CHARGE $25.00 PER NOTARIAL RECORD.

Even if applicable, when purchasing a timeshare you are the grantee, not the grantor.

Janet Godkin

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Palm Desert
Anyway - it was the Chicago Land Title Insurance Company- they cover many states- that doc just happens to be for Illinois. Maybe they thought we were signing up to be insurance agents LOL- or thought we were the "grantors." Who knows- bottom line is- we
were fingerprinted. Call them & ask if it bothers you that much.

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
The fingerprinting must have been for some sort of notarization of signatures, which I believe is always required for a physical notarization.

Janet Godkin

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Palm Desert
California was one of the first states to pass a law requiring the notaries to obtain a fingerprint of the signer. The Sunshine State passes this law in 1996, and it remains in effect to this day. It’s important to note that not all notarial acts conducted in California require a fingerprint. Only those related to estate transactions, such as deed of trust, grant and deed, are required.

The purpose of obtaining a signer’s fingerprint is to prevent fraud by verifying the signer’s identify. Driver’s licenses and signatures are easily forged, but it’s incredibly difficult to forge a fingerprint, especially when it’s taken in front of an unbiased third-party like a notary public. If a notarial act requires a signature, the signer typically placed his or her thumb on an ink pad and then places it on the notary’s journal. This journal is safeguarded by the notary and should not be given to anyone else, which further increases the security of the notarial act.

Janet Godkin

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Palm Desert
You're right- there was a lot of people around & signing this & that- we were caught off guar but I think you're in fact correct- it seems it was a notary.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Perhaps if you signed a mortgage you may have had to provide a fingerprint, but a buyer in most states does not sign a deed.

However, you made it seem somewhat sinister that you were required to provide a print, far from how you are selling it now.

Janet Godkin

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Palm Desert
Yawn- you're starting to bore me. Please just admit you were wrong & that I am not a liar.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Yawn- you're starting to bore me. Please just admit you were wrong & that I am not a liar.
We can't really go back and look at what you posted, can we? Since you deleted it...

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Since "Janet's" claims are clearly posted in the wrong forum - and "she" doesn't seem to know where "she" actually bought, or what exactly happened, and this is an old thread, I'm closing this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.