• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2014] water water -not everywhere

pgnewarkboy

TUG Member
Reaction score
An article in the NY Times online highlights an extreme water shortage in Iran. It is causing a cascade of problems for that nation including air pollution and the ruination of arable fields caused by salt from a dried up salt water lake.

Water shortages is a worldwide problem that is not being addressed by the so called leaders of the free and not so free world. The lack of water is the cause of unrest in many parts of the world.

In the united states we act as if water is not a precious resource as we empty aquifers out west for agricultural and non-agricultural purposes-Vegas.

The draught in California is more than a warning. It is a growing crisis impacting an important source of our national food supply.

Ironwood

TUG Member
Reaction score
Canada’s fresh water resources represent 7 percent of the world’s renewable fresh water. About 20 percent of the world’ fresh water is found in Canada, but less than half of it is considered renewable. Most of the fresh water is in the form of fossil water in glaciers, underground aquifers, and lakes and not not classified as renewable. More than 50 percent of fresh water drains northward into Hudson Bay and the Arctic Ocean, which means that fresh water is unavailable to 85 percent of people living along Canada’s southern border. While abundant, the remaining fresh water supply is heavily used.

Nevertheless, we are blessed with an abundance of fresh water. We are second only to the US as consumers of water. Will fresh water become the 'liquid gold' of the 21st century? Whether water can be sold as a commodity or should be classified as a public trust for the benefit of all is a debate just gathering attention.

And on that note if the temperature gets above freezing this weekend, I think I'll get the hose out and wash the cars!

Egret1986

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We watched a program recently on this crisis.

It is a major problem for the world. I forget all of the places that this is approaching crisis levels. Australia was one of them. It said on the program that it is against the law in Australia to take more than a five minute shower. Most states in the US are approaching levels of concern.

The show went through the history of water (liquid gold) and it's power to topple nations when this precious resource is no longer abundant and available. It brought up the gas shortage of the 70's (remember the rationing and long lines, no gas?). This could be the same for water in the future.

It's not something that you think about much when you freely have it at your disposal. The program was a real eye opener for us.

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
An article in the NY Times online highlights an extreme water shortage in Iran. It is causing a cascade of problems for that nation including air pollution and the ruination of arable fields caused by salt from a dried up salt water lake.

Water shortages is a worldwide problem that is not being addressed by the so called leaders of the free and not so free world. The lack of water is the cause of unrest in many parts of the world.

In the united states we act as if water is not a precious resource as we empty aquifers out west for agricultural and non-agricultural purposes-Vegas.

The draught in California is more than a warning. It is a growing crisis impacting an important source of our national food supply.

I lived in CA when there was a drought and we posted a sign near our toilet in our communal hippie house. It read: "If it's yellow, let it mellow. If it's brown, flush it down.". Think that sign is posted in any CA bathrooms these days???

silverfox82

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I live on a sandbar (long island barrier beach) and our problem is waste water rather than wasting water. At less than 5 feet above sea level and no sewers we learn water conservation as children, no one flushes for "#1" here. On the other hand our water supply is pristine from the Lloyd aquifer and industry has only polluted a small portion of it, so far.

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
... Australia was one of them. It said on the program that it is against the law in Australia to take more than a five minute shower...

Does that mean it could be a 10 minute shower if there are TWO people in the shower? :D

pgnewarkboy

TUG Member
Reaction score
The fresh water supply is under tremendous stress from a number of sources. As population grows the demand for water grows as well as the likelihood of polluting the water we need. Water is becoming polluted all over the world as leaders look for short term gains without considering the near to long term implications of their actions for example: too many damns, poor irrigation practices, chemicals, oil spills, and other runoff from industry and individuals polluting important bodies of water. The chemicals we use to keep our lawns looking green often end up polluting water supplies.

Draining acquifers is not the solution. When the acquifers are gone they will not be renewed again. Acquifers took millions if not billions of years to develop.

Of course, water shortage leads to food shortages. Much of the unrest in the Middle East is related to food shortages. We will surely see a continuing rise in the cost of the basics like wheat and vegetables and protein sources as water supplies dwindle. Eventually there will be food shortages in the United States unless our leaders act. The drought crisis in California will surely be felt very soon in higher prices.

This is a crucial period where the world needs great leaders who will speak the truth and lay out a course to save our generation and future generations.

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
"We have met the enemy, and he is us."

Pogo Possum

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)

Here's a link to the excellent article pgnewarkboy referenced: Its Great Lake Shriveled, Iran Confronts a Crisis of Water Supply - by Thomas Erdbrink/ World/ Middle East/ The New York Times.com

subiran-master675.jpg

An abandoned ship rusts in the mud on the south shore of Lake Urmia, where only 5 percent of the water remains, Iranian environmental officials say. Morteza Nikoubazl for The New York Times

Richard

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
And on a lighter note...

7 of the World's Weirdest Water Towers - by Andrew Tarantola/ Gizmodo.com

Middle America's decorative water towers—not those nasty things in New York—hold a special place in the annals of Americana history. They serve as both a public utility and as a community's spiritual centerpiece—like a Midwestern totem pole, highlighting and reflecting the local cultural identity.

So what do these strange towers say about their towns?

ku-xlarge.jpg

Richard

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
What do you mean when you refer to Vegas in your post? Why not substitute California or perhaps Arizona or even other places there?

Yes, there is a drought in Southern Nevada. It is a desert. Are we doing anything about it? Yes. First, if you live in a house built after 1993, you ay not have grass in the front yard, and only 50% in the rear in Clark County. There is rationing of outside water usage...one day in the winter, two in spring and fall, and three in summertime (designated days only). Depending on the level of drought, at sometimes you can only get commercial car washes, no washing cars at home. Why? commercial car washes recycle the water. If you have a pool, you must empty it to the sewer takeout tube in the front yard, not the gutter, so it recycles. And there are many other rules here.

Fern

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
For years I have wondered how to invest in fresh water supply, but not researched it. Ideas?

pgnewarkboy

TUG Member
Reaction score
What do you mean when you refer to Vegas in your post? Why not substitute California or perhaps Arizona or even other places there?

Yes, there is a drought in Southern Nevada. It is a desert. Are we doing anything about it? Yes. First, if you live in a house built after 1993, you ay not have grass in the front yard, and only 50% in the rear in Clark County. There is rationing of outside water usage...one day in the winter, two in spring and fall, and three in summertime (designated days only). Depending on the level of drought, at sometimes you can only get commercial car washes, no washing cars at home. Why? commercial car washes recycle the water. If you have a pool, you must empty it to the sewer takeout tube in the front yard, not the gutter, so it recycles. And there are many other rules here.

Fern

Vegas is one example of many. Vegas is drawing on aquifers for primarily non-agricultural use.

CarolF

TUG Member
Reaction score
It said on the program that it is against the law in Australia to take more than a five minute shower.

I live in the driest State in the driest inhabited Continent on earth. There is no law around time in the shower, I can't imagine how one might police such a law :p. We do use water saving shower heads and taps and dual flush toilets as well as having restrictions on watering the garden.

Last edited:

Egret1986

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm so glad that you chimed in!

I live in the driest State in the driest inhabited Continent on earth. There is no law around time in the shower, I can't imagine how one might police such a law :p. We do use water saving shower heads and taps and dual flush toilets as well as having restrictions on watering the garden.

I have no doubts about the water issues globally, but I did wonder at times while watching part of the program whether everything being stated was, in deed, fact. I didn't check to verify the 5 min. shower law in Australia. Thank you for the verification.

There are many laws on the books that couldn't possibly be policed, but they are there nonetheless.

When we visited Death Valley and stayed overnight in the Park, the showers had a timer and signs were posted that water conservation was necessary. They sited the nearby part of the Park where pupfish are located and their existence is being threatened. Naturally, it was purely voluntary on the 5 min. shower. My husband and I took it as a challenge on how fast we could shower.

Folks can't verify all the information coming at them, coming like never before. This is a golden time for those with a particular agenda or cause, or with criminal intent. Feed it to them and, some or perhaps many will swallow it. :D

CarolF

TUG Member
Reaction score
Folks can't verify all the information coming at them, coming like never before. This is a golden time for those with a particular agenda or cause, or with criminal intent. Feed it to them and, some or perhaps many will swallow it. :D
Very true. I did wonder if the documentary maker was perhaps attending a scout camp where they wanted the kids washed, fed and on the move. :shrug: Then I had a giggle at the thought of American visitors peeping out of the bathroom door hoping they wouldn't be arrested. :p

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think water should be sold like any other commodity.

I would also suggest cities raise the cost of water.

Not a fan of car washes using dirty water on my car.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think water should be sold like any other commodity.

I would also suggest cities raise the cost of water.

Not a fan of car washes using dirty water on my car.

Water is sold that is why your home has a water meter.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
Where I'm at, high desert , we have irrigation for watering yards. It comes from canals out of the mountains where there are reservoirs. Very dependent on mountain snow fall. There would be no green without it. There are limited water shares sold to subdivisions, home owners are told only water certain days/week. My neighbor waters their yard more often then they are suppose to. If you live in the city where there is no irrigation water you use costly city water to have green gra$$. Seems crazy that the city continues to require new projects with grass and plantings that need H20 .

In the USVI they have cistern systems that collect rain h20, very limited fresh water there.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
California Drought Prompts First-Ever 'Zero Water Allocation' - by Bettina Boxall/ Local - L.A. Now/ The Los Angeles Times.com

"Officials Friday said that for the first time ever, the State Water Project that helps supply a majority of Californians may be unable to make any deliveries except to maintain public health and safety.

They also said they were cutting releases from large reservoirs in the northern part of the state to preserve supplies in the face of what could be the worst drought in modern California history..."

Richard

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
For years I have wondered how to invest in fresh water supply, but not researched it. Ideas?

American Water Company has been buying up access to water, water systems, built a pipeline to transport water to towns on the Delaware River -- to prevent the salt water line from moving further up the river, got state laws imposed to FORCE towns to BUY of 30% of THEIR water to distribute there water.

Personally, one local (small) town's entire water system of well water has now been contaminated for 4+ years (disclouse was "made"/"found out") last month. The adjoining town (where the chemical plant is located) HAD to close one of its smaller water wells (that town had enough other pumping to do a work around).

The small town just put out info that infants and pregrant women can RECEIVE each 1 24 bottle pack of FREE bottle water per (either a month or week) at a local store -- the chemical company will be footing that bill.

The company has KNOWN for 4+ years about this cancer causing chemical leak into the ground water.

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
No, Vegas draws on water from the Colorado River water pact, and also from water that is recycled through Lake Mead. There is an elaborate sewer and runoff system, most of which is underground. It runs from the West side of the Vegas Valley down a mild slope all the way to Lake Mead for reclamation and recycling.

Fern

Vegas is one example of many. Vegas is drawing on aquifers for primarily non-agricultural use.

pgnewarkboy

TUG Member
Reaction score
No, Vegas draws on water from the Colorado River water pact, and also from water that is recycled through Lake Mead. There is an elaborate sewer and runoff system, most of which is underground. It runs from the West side of the Vegas Valley down a mild slope all the way to Lake Mead for reclamation and recycling.

Fern

Vegas draws water from ground water aquifers as well as the sources you site. The issue is that water is precious wherever it comes from and is increasingly in short supply. Governments must decide the best way to preserve water so that we can drink water and grow food supplies. Is supporting a gambling industry and hotel industry in a desert the best use of water?

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
People always pick on Vegas for water usage but...
Did you know that Las Vegas means The Meadows? It has water. We have a whole area of wetlands in the Vegas Valley!

The primary industries in the Vegas area: tourism, entertainment, construction, and mining.

Agriculture is not always the best use of water. Example: a vegan diet requires far less water than a diet with meat. Growing plants to feed them to animals wastes water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: