• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2013 ] Waikoloa--timeshare conversion at Hilton hotel (HWV)

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
All,

I just spoke to the Planning Department in Hilo, and was told that the Planned Unit Development request was approved in July 2015. Apparently, there is a 30 day clock to file an appeal with the Board of Appeals and he didn't see anything in the files indicating that it was being appealed, so in his view, it appeared that Hilton had what it needed to proceed.

It will be interesting to see if we get an announcement on this property, or if they will defer any construction while they complete Phase 3 at KL, and Grand Islander. It probably makes most sense to begin construction in 2017 and finish in 2019, after the inventory from KL and GI have been sold.

Interesting.

Best,

Greg

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for the update GregT, looking forward to the new units coming on line.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
All,

It will be interesting to see if we get an announcement on this property, or if they will defer any construction while they complete Phase 3 at KL, and Grand Islander. It probably makes most sense to begin construction in 2017 and finish in 2019, after the inventory from KL and GI have been sold.

Thanks for doing the extra research!

I agree with your timing, and actually just watched a youtube video on the state of various TimeShares in Hawaii by Syed Sarmad, a broker from Maui. He mentioned the HGVC Ocean tower conversion as a 2017 project. No idea how accurate his information is, but the timing seems logical to me.

As for actual conversion, i have mixed thoughts. I like the resort, and used to stay in ocean tower before we bought our HGVC TS. It would be nice to have an ocean view on the big island, but there is no real beach there, other than the lagoon.

The down side is the size of that resort. It a hassle taking the tram or boat back and forth from the Ocean tower.

Chris

vacationbear

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for doing the extra research!

As for actual conversion, i have mixed thoughts. I like the resort, and used to stay in ocean tower before we bought our HGVC TS. It would be nice to have an ocean view on the big island, but there is no real beach there, other than the lagoon.

The down side is the size of that resort. It a hassle taking the tram or boat back and forth from the Ocean tower.

Chris

Based on our stay there I couldn't agree more with you, Chris!

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark

Chris

I agree, whenever we wanted to drive somewhere, we found we were better off walking to our car than waiting for the tram or boat, which was about a 10-15 minute walk. Walking to the pool was not an inconvenience though and we really enjoyed it.

My recollection of the Ocean Tower was some screeching birds at sunrise. I hope those birds are under control, or that there was something seasonal about November.

All things considered, I remain happy to see continued expansion in HGVC (and in Starwood) -- happy to see continued options.

Interestingly, HGVC owners should take note of the new Nanea point structure for Starwood Maui. They've kept a link to their original points chart (and premium pointed the best view categories). It's not dissimilar to what HGVC did with Grand Islander -- and I'm curious to see what HGVC Maui looks like, hoping it retains a link to 4,800/6,200/7,000/8,400/9,600 even if just for some of the rooms.

It's a real positive if new properties resist the desire to have severe inflation.

Best,

Greg

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I don't recall screeching birds, but its probably been 15 years since i last stayed in the ocean tower at HWV..

I don't follow Starwood timeshares yet.. so con't really comment on their new point structure.. but am still guessing HGVC Maui has higher than average point requirement... Maui is very popular and its expensive to develop there my guess is the units are expensive to purchase and they attach premium point values to help justify the higher costs...

Of course that is all speculation on my part...

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I don't follow Starwood timeshares yet.. so con't really comment on their new point structure.. but am still guessing HGVC Maui has higher than average point requirement...

I agree -- Maui can demand a premium and I expect one for HGVC, I just hope it's manageable.

Starwood is becoming a desirable complement to HGVC for the Hawaii-phile. Both HGVC and Starwood Hawaii properties can be accessed at a manageable cost (because their internal point systems are accessible to the resale purchaser, and the inventory access is mature and transparent).

Starwood provides access to two (with third under construction) properties on Maui, and one property (with second announced) on Kauai.

HGVC provides access to three properties (with fourth under construction) on Oahu, and three properties (and a fourth one in the future) on Big Island. And Maui announced with construction pending.

While Marriott will claim to single-handedly cover all four islands (currently covering three, soon four), however the inability to cost-effectively utilize a point system puts its properties and system at a disadvantage. I view point systems as far superior to II trading, which is unpredictable and unreliable, IMO.

I remain very happy with my HGVC purchases and am warming to the Hawaii opportunities that Starwood offers. I didn't expect Nanea to retain the original point structure, which I view as great for Starwood owners and a promising sign for other new properties.

Interesting.

Best,

Greg

Last edited:

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I agree -- Maui can demand a premium and I expect one for HGVC, I just hope it's manageable.

Starwood is becoming a desirable complement to HGVC for the Hawaii-phile. Both HGVC and Starwood Hawaii properties can be accessed at a manageable cost (because their internal point systems are accessible to the resale purchaser, and the inventory access is mature and transparent).

Greg

I am rapidly becoming more of Hawaii-phile than i ever imagined.. probably to my wife's dismay...

I will have to learn more about Starwood, but right now i am more focused on growing my HGVC portfolio... There are some attractive deals available recently... Next year i have two large vacations planned, and neither involve a TS.. one a safari and the other to NYC. Its hard to justify buy more points right now, when i may end up rescuing a bunch of 2016 points anyways..

drbrandt

Reaction score
Any update on the potential for an HGVC property at Waikoloa Village?

linsj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Can't find this story anywhere that is accessible for free, including HGV own media center site. Strange.

bobbi_1217

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
King's Land, Hokulani
Access to the story in Pacific Business News is free but does require that you create an account. That said, i did create an account to read the story and there wasn't too much information. The plan is to convert 347 of the tower's hotel rooms into timeshares (no clue what that equates to in the number of timeshare units). A Hilton spokesperson said "We're in the very early stages" and haven't chosen a contractor yet. Sounds like they are several years out in the development. At the rate this is moving, I hope I live long enough to stay there.