• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2013 ] Waikoloa--timeshare conversion at Hilton hotel (HWV)

rfc0001

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC: SSR, PVB
HGVC: Kings' Land, Ocean Tower
Meh

I've stayed at HWV Ocean Tower (was actually physically in them on the top floor during the two 6.7 and 6.1 earthquakes that hit the Big Island in Oct 2006). I've also stayed in King's Land several times. I actually prefer King's Land, so while I think a HGVC at HWV is probably a net good thing for HGVC members, it's not somewhere I would personally stay for a couple reasons -- 1) Ocean tower != Ocean Views -- unless you are on the end of the last building you aren't really going to have Ocean views, and there isn't really a beach at HWV, so staying close to the Ocean isn't a real benefit (it actually takes longer to get to the ocean from HWV than other Waikoloa resorts which leads me to my second point), 2) Ocean tower is a good 30 minutes from your car since you have to wait for a tram/boat which slowly takes you back to the front desk, where you still have to walk to your car in self-parking (which you pay for BTW). And 3) it's like Disneyland with people and kids everywhere which isn't very relaxing. So, I much prefer staying at the quiet Waikoloa timeshares like King's Land and being minutes from my car to visit nicer beaches (e.g. Hapuna & Mauna Kea) and nicer 5-star resorts/restaurants (Fairmont Orchid, Mauna Lani, Four Seasons Hualalai, & Mauna Kea). All of these resorts and beaches (including A-bay) are less than a 10-minute drive from the condo, which can turn into a 45-minute trip from HWV. Plus, you still are driving distance from HWV (with free parking and pool privileges) when you want to take advantage of their awesome pool or grab a quick bite for breakfast or lunch. So, for me an HGVC at HWV (esp. Ocean Tower) isn't really an upgrade from existing Waikoloa HGVCs.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
All,

I called the phone number on the sign. PUD application filed, requesting certain zoning and parking variances to code. Planning dept has until Aug 26 to approve and some objections have been filed with the planning dept. HGVC may request an extension to provide responses to the objections.

If all went as planned, the conversion (of the entire tower) is targeted for completion by 2017.

Best,

Greg

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Waikoloa--timeshare conversion at Hilton hotel (HWV)

Interesting update to say the least. Once we made it clear there would be no upgrade the update was over. However, I did find out that they are building a new development across the road from Kingsland (next to the golf clubhouse) but they (salespeople) are not sure if it is a Kingsland extension or a brand new club development. He would not elaborate on the Ocean Tower, but did seem surprised when I asked. I'll check Ocean Tower tomorrow.

It's phase 3 of the Kingsland development. There will be 5 phases and the units will spread out all the way to the golf clubhouse on the south and the resort sign on the north. The sign currently sits alone in the middle of the lava flow across from the clubhouse.

I wish they would open the road to the highway, it's already completed, I hope they don't wait until all phases are completed. It was open in March for the LavaMan Triathlon, they blocked off one side of the road so it was one way through the resort. Once that happens Kingsland will be the quickest in and out of the resort.

rfc0001

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It's phase 3 of the Kingsland development. There will be 5 phases and the units will spread out all the way to the golf clubhouse on the south and the resort sign on the north. The sign currently sits alone in the middle of the lava flow across from the clubhouse.
So, are phase 3-5 the same as phase 2 or phase 1 or completely different?
I wish they would open the road to the highway, it's already completed, I hope they don't wait until all phases are completed. It was open in March for the LavaMan Triathlon, they blocked off one side of the road so it was one way through the resort. Once that happens Kingsland will be the quickest in and out of the resort.
I was just wondering if they ever opened that road. It is silly -- it's been there for years and they haven't opened it. Probably some old farts in the non-time share developments worry it will increase traffic, but if any thing it will alleviate traffic from the main entrance, and any traffic entering through the "back" entrance wouldn't be through traffic since they would just be going to King's Land, the golf club, HGVC Waikoloa, or Bay Club.

HatTrick

Reaction score
Two access points to the area would be great. We could stop using the maintenance road short cut.

Waikoloa.gif

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So, are phase 3-5 the same as phase 2 or phase 1 or completely different?I was just wondering if they ever opened that road. It is silly -- it's been there for years and they haven't opened it. Probably some old farts in the non-time share developments worry it will increase traffic, but if any thing it will alleviate traffic from the main entrance, and any traffic entering through the "back" entrance wouldn't be through traffic since they would just be going to King's Land, the golf club, HGVC Waikoloa, or Bay Club.

Same as phase 2 as far as I know, I doubt if they care about exchangers complaining about chintzy furniture, they will build what sells and the target market is Asia. When I was there in March phase 2 was full of Japanese, and China is opening up. Follow the money, we are mortgaged up to our eyeballs to China.

rfc0001

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Two access points to the area would be great. We could stop using the maintenance road short cut.
Hehe, I thought I was the only one that knew bout that :D. Just watch out for the giant speed bump and maintenance vehicles not paying attention (which is all of them).

rfc0001

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Same as phase 2 as far as I know, I doubt if they care about exchangers complaining about chintzy furniture, they will build what sells and the target market is Asia. When I was there in March phase 2 was full of Japanese, and China is opening up. Follow the money, we are mortgaged up to our eyeballs to China.
That would explain the smaller room sizes :D Fine with me if Phase 2 is what people want -- leaves more Phase I for the rest of us. I own in Phase I, but usually book in Club Season since HGVC restricts home week to same season/unit type (which I think is silly BTW -- I prefer DVC system where you can book any room/season home week as long as you have enough points in home resort).

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have a PDF of the resort that shows KL all built out.

4d6c8c546ba8656f5703b0398c579126_zps38127553.jpg

rfc0001

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wow, that's huge -- if they don't add any more secondary pools, the Phase I pools are going to get *crowded* :annoyed: Also, even with all the future building shown they still don't show the road connecting to the highway :shrug:

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark

4d6c8c546ba8656f5703b0398c579126_zps38127553.jpg

That is interesting -- thank you for this.

There are subtle changes in the current build-out versus what is shown.

Phase 1 on this map has 11 buildings, versus actual build out is 10 buildings.
Phase 2 on this map has 5 buildings, versus actual build out is 4 [edited: 2] buildings. [So are more coming there, as per the map?]
Phase 3+ appears to be 11 buildings.

Interesting -- that will be huge and will impact the superpool. I would think that they will do at least one more smaller pool down by Phase 3+.

Best,

Greg

Last edited:

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think I found it buried on a developer web site, so it may not have been a final. Phase 1 may have been cut back when the economy crashed in 08. I purchased pre-construction in 07, eoy odd, with the stipulation that I could not use in 09 (first use year). I paid the mf in 09 and received the points, didn't stay in my unit until 11. I paid $17.5k for the gold 8700 2br plus, they threw in 6000 bonus points. I converted all of them to HH points and went to UK in 09, 4 nts London, 2nts Bath, 8nts up country in my home town. That's how I rationalized my second drink of the kool aid. :)

My brain is not working too good this am, but isn't phase 2 just two buildings currently? I was thinking phase 3 is to add a couple more buildings to phase 2. I was just there in March and the construction yard is still just west of phase 2, I assumed phase 4 would be further west of the yard up to the clubhouse, then they would move across the road for phase 5.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Seven possible phases for Kings Land

From the initial press release for Kings Land - http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=88577&p=irol-newsarticleother_pf&ID=926607&highlight=

BEVERLY HILLS, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Nov. 3, 2006--Construction of Hawaii's newest vacation ownership resort has been officially launched in Waikoloa, Hawaii. Hilton Hotels Corporation, through its timeshare division, Hilton Grand Vacations Company (HGVC), announced plans to develop Kings' Land, its second Hilton Grand Vacations Club(R) timeshare project within the Waikoloa Beach Resort on Hawaii's Big Island. The announcement marks the third Hilton timeshare project launch in recent months; following the start of construction of the 331-unit Grand Waikikian(TM) project in Honolulu, Hawaii (projected to open in December 2008), and the development of a 161-unit Hilton Grand Vacations Club project in New York City (projected to open in April 2009).

A groundbreaking ceremony on November 2 officially launched construction of a 198-unit development phase of the new Hilton Grand Vacations Club resort at Kings' Land. The event was attended by state officials, local dignitaries, Hilton executives and team members; Kahu Keoni Ka 'ineianu 'uana Atkinson offered a traditional Hawaiian blessing at the construction site. The first of seven potential development phases is slated for completion in August 2008, and pre-opening timeshare sales have commenced

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My brain is not working too good this am, but isn't phase 2 just two buildings currently? I was thinking phase 3 is to add a couple more buildings to phase 2. I was just there in March and the construction yard is still just west of phase 2, I assumed phase 4 would be further west of the yard up to the clubhouse, then they would move across the road for phase 5.

Your brain is working better than mine! There are only two buildings in Phase 2 and I've edited my post above.

I wonder therefore if more buildings are coming to that location?

Interesting....

Best,

Greg

rfc0001

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Seven possible phases for Kings Land
Right, but the first half of the first phase had a secondary pool in the middle of the units, so one would assume the other phases would as well -- not so (no pool between buildings north of lobby or across the street). At some point this is inevitably going to make the main pool (and secondary pool in Phase I) overcrowded. I'm fine if HGVC wants to build 7 phases, and fine if they are cheaper amenities/prices/maint fees, but shouldn't be at the expense of Phase I. Just my $0.02. I guess I need to start showing up to the homeowners meeting :)

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wow, that's huge -- if they don't add any more secondary pools, the Phase I pools are going to get *crowded* :annoyed: Also, even with all the future building shown they still don't show the road connecting to the highway :shrug:

They will have to start a pool shuttle - lol. Helps to justify the higher points being closer to the pools and nicer units.

I talked to the shuttle driver about the gate, he couldn't figure out why they were waiting to open it either. When I first went there the pavement stopped short and there was a large berm blocking, that has been removed and it's paved now. It may have something to do with Hawaii State road permit since it connects to the highway.

amc347

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are here and just did an owners update at kingsland. The sales person said phase three would be a mix of phases 1 and 2 type rooms. Not sure about point structure. The road is still not open to the highway even though Apple maps leads you that way to get out. The sales person also said the store owners on the other side have been opposing the opening of that road to divert traffic their way.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We are here and just did an owners update at kingsland. The sales person said phase three would be a mix of phases 1 and 2 type rooms. Not sure about point structure. The road is still not open to the highway even though Apple maps leads you that way to get out. The sales person also said the store owners on the other side have been opposing the opening of that road to divert traffic their way.

Thank you for the info -- interesting approach.

Has anyone heard any further information on the conversion of the Ocean Tower? Is that real or imagined? Thanks!

Best,

Greg

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
From http://westhawaiitoday.com/news/local-news/plan-appealed-convert-ocean-tower-rooms-timeshares

Posted February 13, 2014

Plan appealed to convert Ocean Tower rooms to timeshares

Hilton Waikoloa Village’s neighbors are protesting a plan that would convert 601 Ocean Tower hotel rooms to 450 timeshare units.

Members of the Association of Apartment Owners of Halii Kai, a condominium complex adjacent to the hotel, have appealed Planning Director Duane Kanuha’s decision granting the hotel’s planned unit development request. Their concerns, attorney Roy Vitousek said Wednesday, include questions about the lack of an updated special management area permit for the new construction — of a road, port cochere and parking spaces — and the impact on their properties.

.....The company argued the switch from hotel rooms to timeshare units will not create a substantive change in the number of employees within the tower, and deliveries and other services would continue to be routed through the Hilton’s service entrance and tunnels. Timeshare use of the tower also will not create additional demand for local catering, hotel events or other parking demand generators, the application said.

Construction is proposed in three phases and would take about three years to complete.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Interesting...

From http://westhawaiitoday.com/news/local-news/federal-judge-says-hilton-must-build-intersection

Posted May 29, 2014

Federal judge says Hilton must build intersection

A South Kohala resort must finish an intersection with Queen Kaahumanu Highway, a federal judge ruled last week.

U.S. District Court Judge Derrick K. Watson said Hilton Resorts Corp. and Hilton Kingsland, a timeshare development at the Hilton Waikoloa Village location, is fully responsible for connecting an internal resort road with the highway at its intersection with Waikoloa Road.

“(B)oth the County Planning Department and State Department of Transportation have unequivocally concluded that the North Intersection Improvements are necessary as a result of Hilton’s development of the property,” Watson wrote in his ruling, issued May 22.

According to court documents, the state Land Use Commission and Planning Department both required the intersection improvements as requirements for their approvals of the project. DOT officials reiterated the need for the intersection in a letter to county planning officials in 2009. Hilton officials agreed to the requirements as laid out as far back as 1990, Watson’s ruling said.

As recently as six years ago, Hilton officials were still working on getting DOT approval for the intersection work.....

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All,

No real update here on the project -- but I found this blurb (the caption in the photo) when web searching. I still hope this goes through and I have a reminder in my calendar to call the planning office in April/May timeframe.

http://hawaiitribune-herald.com/news/local-news/lure-waikoloa

Best,

Greg

linsj

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
I asked a salesman at HHV in December about this conversion. He said it's still in the plans, but they're waiting on permits. And permits in Hawaii take forever--or at least it seems that way.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I asked a salesman at HHV in December about this conversion. He said it's still in the plans, but they're waiting on permits. And permits in Hawaii take forever--or at least it seems that way.

I called the planning office about three months ago and they told me that the applicant was trying to negotiate with the neighboring properties to get them to support the project. Apparently they have filed objections to the plans and Hilton is trying to resolve the issues.

We will see what happens.

Best,

Greg