• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2013 ] Changes at Pacific Shores

bass

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Tag,

Did they charge you for cancelling? Our letter stated that we would be charged the standard cancellation fee. Just wondering. We're not sure if we are going to cancel. We are travelling from Florida and the flight times aren't as good as they used to be. Thanks.

Nancy

TAG

TUG Member
Reaction score
No, no cancelation fee

No, we didn't get charged a fee to cancel. RCI was quite good about it, my exchange fee and the week we had used were back in my accounts within 15 minutes of calling. A pleasant surprise.

bass

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks,

We haven't decided whether to cancel or not. Our trip isn't until Dec. 1.

eal

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
So I finally got back to Pacific Shores to ask about the changes that guests would experience as of April 1. There is an employee at the front desk, the restaurant is open (and fairly busy), the spa is operating with its normal hours, and there are computers in the lobby for guests to use. The free wifi in the units is still available.

When I asked the employee she said that the check-in has been moved by Trading Places to a nearby industrial park and gave me a map. She said that some guests get wristbands and can use the pool, spas and gym; however if the exchange is through RCI these amenities are not available. She couldn't explain who these guests might be. Perhaps because the Pearson family's company owns about 10 whole units (i.e. 500 weeks) they may rent or exchange them outside of RCI.

We finished our conversation with her saying that everything is in flux and could change soon.

qb_bc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Pacific Shores trades both in weeks and in points. The points side was taken over by VI last year, and did not seem to have issues. The weeks portion is the one that changed their contract to TPI, and has their registration off site.

If you have reserved using points I would suggest calling PS or VI and asking specifically if this affects you. I don't know if VI is using TPI to manage their portion.

Running Man

TUG Member
Reaction score
Pacific Shores trades both in weeks and in points. The points side was taken over by VI last year, and did not seem to have issues. The weeks portion is the one that changed their contract to TPI, and has their registration off site.

If you have reserved using points I would suggest calling PS or VI and asking specifically if this affects you. I don't know if VI is using TPI to manage their portion.

VI bought out the Aviawest Club. The Club did own some units at Pacific Shores - those are now VI ownership. The weeks and points owners at Pacific Shores are not affected. You can trade in through both the points and weeks via RCI. This has not changed. TPI now manages the PSOE units at Pacific Shores. Please see www.pacifichsoresbc.com for more information.

Cheers

eal

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
good news

The Pacific Shores Board has been negotiating with the receiver involved in the bankruptcy proceedings for the previous management company and here is the result:

"it is our pleasure to officially announce we now have access to the front desk and recreational amenities within the Commercial Centre. The staff at both registration areas have ‘waiver forms’ which you can sign prior to usage."

So the (lovely saltwater non-chlorine) indoor pool and all the hot tubs are available for use by all guests. I don't know about where the check in is currently, if the Trading Places staff will move onsite, but I will post again when I hear.

hapstersmom

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know the status of this resort at this time? I have a chance at a great deal (free) on a 2 b/2 ba "weeks" unit but after reading this thread I'm super confused as to the status of this resort. Would it be better to not get involved with this TS resort at this point in their existence?

qb_bc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Qualifier: I used to own points in Aviawest Resort Club, and I was happy to walk away when VI took that portion over.

Think long and hard before you accept that free offer. You may not want to be obligated to what it entails. The first question to ask yourself is whether you will use that resort almost every year. If you answer "no", Don't even think about it. With the maintenance fees every year, RCI membership fee, and exchange fee, you could probably rent a spot where you want and have no ongoing responsibility.

If you say that you would come to Vancouver Island every year, still spend some time thinking about it. You will be responsible for the annual maintenance fee for the rest of your life, unless you find someone else to give it to. You will also be subject to any special assessments required to repair or upgrade the facilities. Skim the thread on Fairmont for an idea of what could happen. I believe Pacific Shores is not in that bad a condition, but when I had stayed at Fairmont I thought it was good also.

I guess I'm saying that there is a good reason that it is being offered to you without cost, so that the offerer can get out from the ongoing financial responsibility. Do you want to take that on for yourself?

There are better places that you could obtain for the same cost:) If you must, find one that you will use regularly.

humor_monger

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Current status update from an owner?

The Pacific Shores Board has been negotiating with the receiver involved in the bankruptcy proceedings for the previous management company and here is the result:

"it is our pleasure to officially announce we now have access to the front desk and recreational amenities within the Commercial Centre. The staff at both registration areas have ‘waiver forms’ which you can sign prior to usage."

So the (lovely saltwater non-chlorine) indoor pool and all the hot tubs are available for use by all guests. I don't know about where the check in is currently, if the Trading Places staff will move onsite, but I will post again when I hear.

We'll be there on June 19 and this thread has laid dormant for a couple of years. I was curious, as an owner there, what the recent news is.

Bruce