• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2012] Timeshare owners being targeted for scam in Puerto Vallarta [merged]

kcalvin

Reaction score
I would also like to contact US authorities, Profeco has not done anything to help. Who should I contact? Also, does anyone know of a legitimate legal source that handles situations like this in Mexico or dealing Mexico?

I am also trying to find more information about "SERV COORD CELA", this is the company that charged my visa. Profeco said since they are not listed in the contract they can't help. Visa cannot find anymore information about them.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would also like to contact US authorities, Profeco has not done anything to help. Who should I contact? Also, does anyone know of a legitimate legal source that handles situations like this in Mexico or dealing Mexico?

I am also trying to find more information about "SERV COORD CELA", this is the company that charged my visa. Profeco said since they are not listed in the contract they can't help. Visa cannot find anymore information about them.

What is it you expect US authorities to do? You signed the contract in a foreign country then didn't make the effort to cancel it within the legally required time frame. Profeco IS the legitimate legal group that oversees timeshare sales, but if you didn't send a rescission letter within the required cooling off period, and you can't prove fraud, there isn't anything they can do.

As to the outfit that charged your card, cancel the card and don't allow them to access it again. You may be out what you've already paid, but you'll find out who they are when they come after you for another payment. Or when you try to reserve lodging at the resort you bought into. If Profeco and Visa don't know who they are and can't help, write it up to an (expensive) lesson learned. Just curious, how much of your money did they get?

Jim

jft310

Reaction score
Getting even

I went through a divorce and was cash poor in 2010. I own in Mexico at the Mayan Palace Marina. Outside the resort in summer 2010 they were swarming to show us the time shares.Started at $300 and I later got em up to $500. The seller of the visits worked at the Marina and in the drive over on Monday we spoke about the sillyness of what they were doing. So at 9 AM we did our first gig. I collected $500 with my girlfriend by my side. I went back and found the seller at the Marina and asked did anyone else do this and said yes they did.He made phone calls and set up another one for Tuesday AM. I did it again. He picked me up after the presentation and we formed a partnership. He found 3 more at 9 AM the next 3 days. So I collected $2500 from 5 of these guys and that paid for my trip. I share this not to brag but to say its a way to get even. If I had the money I would have taken the bait.
In Sept this year we are going back and I will find that guy at the Marina and I plan on doing it all over again. I thank this site for the shares cause I was duped also. What I plan to do is do 5 of them for $1,000 a piece. Might not work but the odds seem high. Lobster on them is my take.Get even you to could do this! Just an idea.

gdb581

Reaction score
Club Regina Puerto Vallarta

My girlfriend has an offer to buy 2 BR condo at above location for over 34K from PAG in Chicago. Has any one else gotten any offers similar to this?

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
My girlfriend has an offer to buy 2 BR condo at above location for over 34K from PAG in Chicago. Has any one else gotten any offers similar to this?

Yes. Just google "resale scam" for this site and you'll see lots of examples.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score

All she has to do is send them $x,xxx up front. Then in a while, $x,xxx taxes. Then the 'sale' falls through and they start over. Send more $,$$$.

If she wants to get rid of it, she will find out it has little to no value. Search for the resort on eBay's completed auctions for valuation. To sell, check the sticky 'How to sell my timeshare' on the TUG Buying, Selling, Renting forum.

Best wishes

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House

I get a similar call from time to time. I string them along for a while and then ask if I can sell them two. When they eagerly reply yes, I tell them I will pick one up on eBay for $1 or whatever strikes my mind at the time to sell to them for the $25K or whatever ridiculous number they offered at the start and they hang up. Don't know why they would do that. :shrug:

Cheers

bellesgirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Two years ago, some people we have become friendly with fell for a similar scam at the Peninsula. She is a Phd and he is a realtor!! I could not believe it when they returned from the presentation, all aglow, and told me they had just spent $35K.

Gently, I suggested we should check it out on the internet and within minutes it was apparent they had been scammed. They immediately called the credit card company and went back and rescinded the deal. I found out the next year, when we saw them again in PV, that it had taken the credit card company six months to clear the charge!

One other word of advice, they chose not to take the cash gift of $500 and instead opted for a certificate for two free weeks at the Peninsula - good for 2 years. I received an email recently saying they would be back next year at our old resort. The Peninsula will not honor the certificate, so they didn't even get their $500.

lilpooh108

Reaction score
First, this scam is so disgusting. Cheating people out of $35K - $90K?

Second, who the heck takes such a high limit credit card on vacation? That's like a cardinal rule of travel. And signs a blank slip? :eek:

I'm forwarding this to everyone I know so that no one I know falls for it. Crazy ridiculous...

bgutow

TUG Member
Reaction score
litigation

I am in process of litigation. I've exhausted the process via Profeco and now trying to serve the parties in question. Problem is that their addresses are not valid.

Does anyone have addresses, particularly BIYALDI ESTRATEGIAS TURISTICA? Whatever you have could be useful, since I don't know which is valid.

Thanks for any help.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score

pacodemountainside

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am in process of litigation. I've exhausted the process via Profeco and now trying to serve the parties in question. Problem is that their addresses are not valid.

Does anyone have addresses, particularly BIYALDI ESTRATEGIAS TURISTICA? Whatever you have could be useful, since I don't know which is valid.

Thanks for any help.

This should be your first clue no deep pockets involved.

Typically scammers simply disappear or have shell corporations with no assets, so even if you get a judgment impossible to collect.

I assume you are paying attorney on an hourly basis, not a contingency.

bgutow

TUG Member
Reaction score
Litigation

sorry I didn't respond sooner, but was on an extended trip.

anyway, the attorney I contacted is willing to litigate on a contingency basis, however I must provide contact info.

Profeco was dealing with the vendor. The vendor was ordered to appear at a Profeco hearing, didn't show up, and contacts are unanswered. Perhaps the vendor has moved. I don't know. Maybe those of you who have had more recent experience will have new contact info.

Any help appreciated.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Profeco was dealing with the vendor. The vendor was ordered to appear at a Profeco hearing, didn't show up, and contacts are unanswered. Perhaps the vendor has moved.

Anybody surprised? Me either. Sorry.

rniver

Reaction score
My wife and I signed a contract with Grand Miramar and subsequently decided to cancel it because we determined that the entire agreement was most likely a scam.

In return for us purchasing five weeks from them, Grand Miramar promised to resell several timeshares we already owned at a significant profit to us. They also promised us a stream of guaranteed income for ten years by remarketing our Grand Miramar weeks. We later discovered that they had made similar promises to many other purchasers, but have never delivered. Once we learned about this history of unfulfilled guarantees, we decided to cancel the agreement as quickly as possible.

We acted within 5 business days and went through a cancellation process that involved Grand Miramar, Mexico’s Consumer Protection office (Profeco), and our credit card provider. We procured a legal order from the Profeco to rescind the contract and have received a full credit on our Visa card.

While still in Puerto Vallarta, visit the Profeco office at Avenida Francisco Villa 900. Col. Las Gaviotas. They have a dedicated lawyer on staff between 10:00am and 2:00pm weekdays to assist you. The legal counsel we spoke with, Gabriella Gonzales, was extremely helpful. Just be persistent.

The Profeco has a dedicated office to assist non-Mexicans who are already outside the country, the Conciliation a Extranjeros. You can reach them by email at extranjeros@profeco.gob.mx or by phone at one of the following numbers:
(0155) 52 11 17 23,
(0155) 56 25 67 00,
(01 800) 46 88 722

asbestos

Reaction score
Grand Miramar scam?

I should have known it was too good to be true when salesman offered to take my currently owned timeshares in trade for a membership -when I decided to cancel within the 5 day period, they say I must pay 3 times the $1500 fee for title searches and $6200 in lost commissions to complete my
cancellation. this is insane. I've got a $30,000 credit card debt to deal with
and my cancellation request was only 3 days (Saturday one of those days)s after their contract.
anyone out there with advice????
I did file with Profeco and Mexican Tourism Board already

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
when I decided to cancel within the 5 day period, they say I must pay...

This is a very common ploy by lying, deceitful sales people. If you followed the proper procedures to rescind within the 5 days, you should get your full refund without any penalty. What that sales person told you was a typical TS sales person's lie in order to avoid losing out on commission.

By the way, by what method did this person tell you that you must pay such a penalty for rescinding? IOW, did this person phone you? E-mail you? Did you phone the resort? E-mail, etc.?

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I decided to cancel within the 5 day period, they say I must pay 3 times the $1500 fee for title searches and $6200 in lost commissions to complete my cancellation.

I did file with Profeco and Mexican Tourism Board already

If you've opened a case with PROFECO, and your cancellation was within the 5 day rescission period, you WILL get the cancellation done. It may be a couple of billing cycles. File a challenge with your credit card.

Be sure to keep all correspondence with names and dates.

I'm sure you WILL prevail. Keep us posted.

Good Luck!

Jim

shablu

Reaction score
Grand Miramar, P.V. Timeshare Scam (GM Private Residence)

My husband & I attended a timeshare presentation at the GRAND MIRAMAR (AKA GM PRIVATE RESIDENCE) after being promised $250 just for attending. After about 5 hours, and after all their "guarantees" which were also stated in the Contract(s), they convinced us to buy as DIAMOND MGMT. GROUP (2nd company & contract) would take my 3 other US timeshares and sell them for a "guaranteed" price of $85,400 which was very attractive to me. They also said they would rent my 2 weeks for $1600 per week for the 10 years if we decided we couldn't use them, or we could trade for something else. Also offered me 4 weeks for attending the presentation (instead of the $250 initial gift that was offered). - Since we said couldn't use 4 weeks, DIAMOND MGMT. would issue a check in the amt. of $6400. I went on-line when we got home and found that people actually ended up with all their original timeshares, plus the weeks at the Grand Miramar, and annual maintenance fees on all. Others did not get the rent that they had been offered. I wrote to rescend or cancel the contract within the agreed upon time, but since I had not returned the original contracts with the letter, they would not accept my cancellation. I now have to go to Profeco to try to recover the $26,783 that they charged my credit card, and if that doesn't work, retain an attorney to get the contracts voided. Mr. RICHARD BOUNDS, MGR. of GM Private Residence called me initially to try to convince me to go ahead, and I told him I did not believe all their guarantees, he said I had better get my request to cancel in the mail that day (but never mentioned sending back the "original" contracts). I immediately prepared my letter and sent it on that day. I later found the clause about the contract needing to be returned in the fine print on the last page of attachments to Contract. I did return the contracts at a later date, but they will not allow the cancellation. I am aware we were very stupid to believe all their "verbal and written" guarantees.

Last edited:

pacodemountainside

TUG Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately sales weasels will say anything to make a sale but nothing meaningful ends up in contract.

Just thinking what will they do with TSs that are probably worth a few hundred dollars?

Why would they sell to a stranger if they can rent for $1,600?

Profeco is your best option.

If you decide to sue make sure you get an attorney recommend by Profeco or reputable entity and that suing in Mexico is a different ball game.

Developers know sales weasels lie and contracts are pretty iron clad.

Also, dispute with CC!

shablu

Reaction score
Please read my post dated 8-7-14. I was also scammed by this GM Private Residence Group and Diamond Management Group (both have changed names due to complaints several times). I also cancelled within the 5 business days, but.....I did not read the "cancellation clause" in the attachment to Contract which stated "I must return the Original Agreements with the request for cancellation". I have since returned the Originals to this group.

I disputed the charge at once, which was in excess of $26,000 with my credit card back in May, but since I did not comply with this so called "requirement", they have added back my disputed amount to my credit card.

Did this same thing happen to you, or did you send back your Contracts?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score