• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2012] Timeshare owners being targeted for scam in Puerto Vallarta [merged]

Kathiem

Reaction score
This operation may already be known to you. They have defrauded us of $35,000. Here is how it is operating

• they employ people downtown on the Malecon to convince people to attend a presentation at Mango’s Restaurant
• They emphasize it is not a timeshare presentation that it is for a full ownership property
• The offer is either cash (up to $1000) or a week at the resort plus 2 free airfares from any US or Canadian hub
• The most recent property that they are showing is the Grand Venetian, prior to that it was the Miramar Spa and Resort
• The operators of this primarily employ American and Canadian salespeople
• They use the familiar “breakfast presentation” that many timeshare companies also use
• After verifying identity and getting some information to qualify the prospects they take you to the property for the tour
• Then they present the cost of the full ownership (I’m not sure what happens if you say you want to buy one because we immediately said “no”)
• The next step was to make an offer of 8 weeks access to the property through World Luxury Destinations with a price of about $60,000USD (we said no again)
• Next the discussion shifts to them being able to sell your timeshares in order to pay for this partial access via the luxury concierge service (much better than RCI or Interval)
• We had three timeshares so the sales price guaranteed was $56,000 USD based on a “market appraisal” that their company Continental Resources had done
• If you still resist on the price, they bring out a “foreclosed contract” that can be bought for a fraction of the cost plus transfer fees. They “guarantee” to sell your existing timeshares within 60-90 days or all contracts are cancelled. They guarantee that all contracts can be cancelled at any time. Then they bring out the add-ons
o Guaranteed sale of timeshares
o Guaranteed rental income of 4 of the 8 weeks you have access to for five years at $1500 per week
o Guaranteed buyback at the “original” contract value after 5 years ($59,910)
o No maintenance fees
o Ability to not only access the Grand Venetian but also the Grand Mayan or Grand Bliss at a fraction of the timeshare maintenance fees
• They ask for a credit card to hold the contract until the timeshares are sold. They promise no charge will be made-- that it is like leaving a credit card for a hotel when you check in, it’s just security
• They tell you that their timeshare liquidator will call you in the morning at your hotel to give you instructions on what he needs to sell the timeshares
• They tell you that you will receive a id and password by email so you can access the World Luxury Destinations website (at that time it was one static page now it is much more)

When you go home here is what you find out:

• They charged your credit card immediately
• They tell you they will sell the timeshares in 60-90 Days – In truth they never sell anything and in fact they may tell you they have and require several thousand dollars in closing costs and still not transfer any money.
• The tell you that World Luxury Destinations will send you a membership package with an ID and Password – that never happens and if later you do get them and try to book a time they request more money up front and the property is never available.
• When you review your paperwork and guarantees you see that the contract numbers do not match and the guarantees or not included on both contracts. In fact the World Luxury Destinations contract indicates it is non refundable.
• By the time you figure all of this out the contract is usually past the five days allowed by law to cancel and you’re stuck.
• If you figure it out right away as we did and dispute the charge, the credit card company will not back you up.
• Profeco is useless as is the Tourist Bureau if you file a complaint they do nothing
• Many others have gone through the same thing, some have sent these companies their timeshare contracts as instructed as well
Your crdit card company will not treat this a fraud and you will have to pay.

If you decline the purchase of World Luxury Destinations they will offer to just sell your timeshare and charge about $10K in fees and taxes. Still a scam. They say it will take 90 days or money back. As the ninety days approaches they will contact you and say they have a buyer and there will be an 8% fee deducted. If you accept it, you will immediately get a letter saying they have fullfilled their obligation. The new buyer will never buy your timeshare.

Names to watch out for: Platinum Access Program, World Luxury Destinations, Continental Resources, John Monte, Jerry Forney, James Brooks, Johnny Montalbo.

FractionalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks, but I don't see how you actually lost $35K in finding these things out as you have posted here.

Kathiem

Reaction score
Maybe I wasn't clear, sorry

They ask for our credit card to hold the contract for the World Luxury Vacations membership until the timeshares are sold. They promise no charge would be made-- that it is like leaving a credit card for a hotel when you check in, it’s just security

Except that they did make a charge on the credit card and because the charge slip had been signed Citicard would not allow us to dispute it as fraud.

They vary the cost of the World Luxury Destinations membership. Our offer was 8 weeks access to the Grand Venetian each year (no maintenance fee) and the cost was $35,000. This amount was to be taken from the sale of our three timeshares.

As soon as I found out this was all a scam I tried to cancel the contract and dispute the charge. The guys running the scam aren't giving the money back and Citicard has said "too bad" we can't help you it doesn't qualify as fraud under their definition.

IF the timeshares were sold and IF there was such a thing as World Luxury Destinations it would be a great deal. They NEVER sell your timeshares. There is nothing to World Luxury Destinations besides a website that actually looks pretty professional now. When this happened to us in November, it was just a webpage with an 800 number. The person answering the phone barely spoke English. I should mention that these same people ran the same scam using the Grand Miramar Spa and Resort as the property in 2010 and had a vacation club called Platinum Access Program. It has morphed into the Grand Venetian as the magnet property and World Luxury Destinations as the vacation membership....a concierge type service even better than RCI or Interval supposedly.

These guys are very smooth when they are selling! Here is a message I received last week from someone who was staying at the Club Regina in PV about her experience with them (and she didn't know until she read my email it was a scam).

"I had gone on what was a presentation with this group. I got as far as the pretty restaurant Mango with my son. My experience was horrible. I had two credit cards with Doctor on them but I took only low line of credit cards with me. I did not qualify they say. When I was shocked and said What they were not very nice about it. I too own more than several timeshares. My 16 year old clean cut son came to my defense saying they should be ashamed of questioning his mothers qualifications. He got threatened by a MEXICAN man that looked like he just got out of prison. This man said he would like to kick the the S--- out of him, and then he progressed to ask my son how old he was to which my son replied 16. This criminal then said to my son holding up two big fists "I would kill you if you were 18."
We were scared but I did not show it.
When I got back to the hotel I told Fabiola about this. She then shared your email with me.
Wow! I guess I was lucky. They obviously checked out my credit cards to find out they could not do what they did to your card.
The sad thing is no one listens in Mexico. I do not know if your email got to the right hands. As no one really seemed to know much about the scam you got yourselves into.
I believe the best is tug2.net Twitter, Facebook, and any other site your can expose this.
I once 9 years ago got scammed. I too went beyond my dates. It took 1 1/2 years to get my money back. It was not the big amount you got scammed. You need to write your credit card company just the same. I did and it came back to help me later. I do not know who to thank as the money came back to my credit card.
A number of years ago I did do a presentation at Miramar and I smelled a rat.
How do you feel about Raintree? I have been a member since 1992. So it has been know by many different names.
Global Resort Transfer Inc. is the company that are currently doing the transfers. Have you heard of them and what the story is about them?
Again I hope somehow this scam is put to an end. I also hope somehow you get your money back."

aliikai2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
This sounds a lot like the Belair fiasco

I hope that many many people read this and understand that timeshare sales people have one goal, to take your money. And regardless, if what they offer you is too good to be true, you can be sure that it is.

Greg

FractionalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow, thats intense. Seems like a very elaborate and convoluted scam as you have documemted here.

I would question your credit card company regarding their fraud rules and customer protection policies.

I travel a lot outside the USA and my credit cards CHASE VISA , AMEX, and Mastercard all would have immediately flagged this as a large purchase transaction coming from another country and would NOT have approved such a transaction without confirming over the phone with the cardholder.

Heck, my Bank of America account routinely sends me e-mail alerts to verify the validity of any potential suspect charges on the account. These charges are eventually declined usually within 24-48 hours if the cardholder doesn't respont to the alert. And that's in the USA.

I really hope there is something you can do to get your investment back. Keep fighting and don't give up!

Thanks for the scam alert!

Kathiem

Reaction score
We filed a dispute with Mastercard on Nov 6th it took them until March to deny it

I questioned Mastercard as to how the charge even got through since we have had $200 charges in Mexico on that card causing MC to lock the card. Seriously $35K didn't seem strange to them? During the time they "considered our dispute" we were advised that it required special review because of the amount. Translation, they didn't want to "eat" the charges. In the end the only reason they had for denying our claim was we had signed the charge slip. There was no consideration for the fact that no services will ever be received from Wolrd Luxury Destinations...we have hired an attorney.

pacodemountainside

TUG Member
Reaction score
Suggest you read the Mexico Forum here. Sounds like they have used about all the scams.

So many red flags:

$58K from selling 3 time shares resales are pennies on the dollar

Giving stranger signed credit charge slip

Great rental program

Not having Mexican attorney review something this complicated

Not reading until home and recission period expired

$1,000 incentive generally $300

No maintenance fees

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
I'm sorry for your situation, but this is a good reminder that verbal statements made in a sales presentation mean absolutely nothing. Unless it is spelled out in the contract THAT YOU SIGN, it means nothing.

All of those "guarantees" listed by the OP were certainly not in the contract. At some point, people need to take responsibility of their actions and NOT SIGN ANYTHING THEY DO NOT COMPLETELY UNDERSTAND, especially in a foreign country.

This is the same story we have heard here so many times:
  • person signs up for a sales presentation, lured in by the promise of some cash, prize, trinket, etc.
  • person signs a contract that they don't read fully or understand, relying on the salesperson's comments (lies)
  • person finds out later (well after the legal recission period) what they signed is not what they thought

One could argue that greed, from both sides, is the root of these situations. Greed of the salesperson in saying anything to make a sale, and greed from the potential buyer looking to score "free" stuff: breakfast, vacation time, airline tickets, cash, etc.

Kurt

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I questioned Mastercard as to how the charge even got through since we have had $200 charges in Mexico on that card causing MC to lock the card. Seriously $35K didn't seem strange to them? During the time they "considered our dispute" we were advised that it required special review because of the amount. Translation, they didn't want to "eat" the charges. In the end the only reason they had for denying our claim was we had signed the charge slip. There was no consideration for the fact that no services will ever be received from Wolrd Luxury Destinations...we have hired an attorney.

MC never eats the charge backs unless the merchant no longer exists. That said if the charge is fraud it has to be reversed. CC companies always like to exaggerate their losses due to fraud when in fact it's the merchants that have to eat 100% of the charge back.

eakhat

TUG Member
Reaction score
Impressed with VISA

When a similar event happened to us a few years back, we contacted our credit card company, which was VISA, and they removed the charges within three months when I sent VISA many, many pages about the deceptive practices the Mexican timeshare company was using.

cbard

Reaction score
Scammed $87,000 Grand Miramar

World Luxury Destinations doing business as/with Grand Miramar Resport and Spa and Advantage Trust International-Timeshare Escrow company
Appears many companies are involved (or may be one company doing business under different names.)
Continental Resources- http://www.continentalres.com/
World Property Connections-Houston Texas

We attended a residence property presentation at the Miramar in Puerta Vallarta in September 2011 which has resulted in being scammed for $87,650 in addition to the purchase at the Miramar and an annuity we purchased there. At this point we don’t know if we even have time at the Miramar and if the Lloydshare annuity is a scam also.

We purchased a membership with World Luxury Destination for $24,900 which we understand to be a fractional ownership of the Miramar

We were told they would sell our Grand Luxxe Property for $118,350 and would connect us with the buyers Continental Resources

We agreed to sell 4 weeks of our Miramar time for $1500 week for five years and that Continental Resources would manage that for us also

Continental Resources (James Brooks) guaranteed payment for the Luxxe after proof of ownership.

World Property Connections-Emma Palmer contacted us to complete the sale. Stated she had a buyer for $129,800 for the Luxxe (to cover commissions) and rental weeks would be purchased for $2900 per week. She told us we would be notified by the escrow company.

We were then notified by Advantage Trust International Chicago, Illinois. Rose Thomas was the name of the agent. Between February and May, under the direction of Advantage Trust employee and World Property Connections Emma Palmer, we wired $87,650 in fees including title transfer fees, maintenance fees, taxes, foreign investment fees, sales commissions, and excess income tax, which were all to be reimbursed at the close of the sale of the Luxxe and the rental weeks at the Miramar.

The last wire was sent on May 8, our funds were to be transferred to our account on May 9 and none of these “companies” will answer phones, though the numbers still work. Of course there has been no money received. Through property manager at Willis Tower in Illinois, Advantage Trust has never rented in that building. Another business is at the address World Property Connections is listing on their letterhead also.

The Continental Resources contract states: Guaranteed buy back at $59,910 USD after one year from today’s date.
We have no idea what to even do about this.

cbard

Reaction score
Puerta Vallarta Grand Miramar Scam

Scammed for $87,650.
World Luxury Destinations doing business as/with Grand Miramar Resport and Spa, Continental Resources, World Property Connections-Houston Texas with Advantage Trust International-Timeshare Escrow company

Do not do business with these people.

We attended a residence property presentation at the Miramar in Puerta Vallarta in September 2011 which has resulted in being scammed for $87,650 in addition to the purchase at the Miramar and an annuity we purchased there. At this point we don’t know if we even have time at the Miramar and if the Lloydshare annuity is a scam also.

We purchased a membership with World Luxury Destination for $24,900 which we understand to be a fractional ownership of the Miramar

We were told they would sell our Grand Luxxe Property for $118,350 and would connect us with the buyers Continental Resources

We agreed to sell 4 weeks of our Miramar time for $1500 week for five years and that Continental Resources would manage that for us also

Continental Resources (James Brooks) guaranteed payment for the Luxxe after proof of ownership.

World Property Connections-Emma Palmer contacted us to complete the sale. Stated she had a buyer for $129,800 for the Luxxe (to cover commissions) and rental weeks would be purchased for $2900 per week. She told us we would be notified by the escrow company.

We were then notified by Advantage Trust International Chicago, Illinois. Rose Thomas was the name of the agent. Between February and May, under the direction of Advantage Trust employee and World Property Connections Emma Palmer, we wired $87,650 in fees including title transfer fees, maintenance fees, taxes, foreign investment fees, sales commissions, and excess income tax, which were all to be reimbursed at the close of the sale of the Luxxe and the rental weeks at the Miramar.

The last wire was sent on May 8, our funds were to be transferred to our account on May 9 and none of these “companies” will answer phones, though the numbers still work. Of course there has been no money received. Through property manager at Willis Tower in Illinois, Advantage Trust has never rented in that building. Another business is at the address World Property Connections is listing on their letterhead also.

The Continental Resources contract states: Guaranteed buy back at $59,910 USD after one year from today’s date.

pacodemountainside

TUG Member
Reaction score
World Luxury Destinations doing business as/with Grand Miramar Resport and Spa and Advantage Trust International-Timeshare Escrow company
Appears many companies are involved (or may be one company doing business under different names.)
Continental Resources- http://www.continentalres.com/
World Property Connections-Houston Texas

I have been to over a dozen time share sales pitches in CABO over last few years and know they are best of best liars and scammers. Kinda understand when people pay $20K-$30K and don't read documents until after recission period even though foreign country.

As I read your post this started in September 2011 and money was not wired until May 2012. Cannot believe in all this time you did not read what you signed and consult an attornery or other knowledgeable person when contracts were not what you were told.

My best suggestion is to discuss options with personal attorney or call local bar association, explain situation and ask for referal.

You can read Mexico Forum here but with around $90K at stake need expert legal advice.

Almost sounds like Mexican version of Nigeran $2 million dollars in bank vault scam!

Last edited:

cbard

Reaction score
Puerta Vallarta

It sounds so stupid and believe me you feel stupid. Our dealings with them have taken over 8 months. They worked with us over a period of several months saying they were trying to get our property closing done. We were told we needed to submit Mexican tax and several other fees that would be reimbursed at closing. We had invested a lot and probably got desperate towards the end as we were to receive the fees we had paid >87,000 as well as the 129,000 for our Luxxe residence and our 4 weeks a year of the Mirmar time @$2900 per week, ($58,000). Reliving this every day is life changing in every aspect. This was not our first experience with property dealings in Mexico, it is the first bad experience. It of course has changed our entire life and that of our family. We have invested everything we have in thinking we were dealing with a legitimate business. They have a beautiful property. They are still building there, and now i understand how they can do it. These people are terrorists, with complete disregard for people who work honestly to earn a living. I just read on the FBI website "In some cases, timeshare owners who have been defrauded by a timeshare sales scheme have been subsequently contacted by an unscrupulous timeshare fraud recovery company as well. The representative from the recovery company promises assistance in recovering money lost in the sales scam. Some recovery companies require an up-front fee for services rendered, while others promise no fees will be paid unless a refund is obtained for the timeshare owner. The IC3 has identified some instances where people involved with the recovery company also have a connection to the resale company, raising the possibility that timeshare owners are being scammed twice by the same people."

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Welcome to TUG! We are truly sorry for your troubles. Those people are lower than the lowest snake. Unfortunately, you might be too late to help yourselves. If you look at the stickies at the top of the Mexico forum, you can find a lot of information about knowing your rights before attending a Mexican timeshare presentation. I would encourage you to enlist Profeco, the Mexican gov't consumer affairs office. They have helped others. You might get lucky, but after you willingly wired the thieves money after money, I wouldn't expect much.

Some Mexican companies have made amends with buyers after the buyers plastered the Internet- including TUG- derogatory and in some cases inflammatory reports. After they have settled up, the buyers have posted 'retractions' of all prior comments regarding the TS scammers. Seems reasonable to me.

So post here, on TripAdvisor, takeout ads in travel publications. Write a concise report for Profeco and send copies (not originals) of everything you have in writing. Make it easy if you can, English is to their first language.

We wish you good luck.

Jim Ricks

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
It pains me to say this, but the people who were 'taken advantage of', had 5 days to review their contracts and cancel (rescind) the sale. It took a long time to make these 'cooling off period' laws pretty much the law of the land- if not the timeshare and real estate industry. But in the end, at some point, people are free to chase whatever dream they feel that they see.

It has been going on for over 9 months and they sent more money as recently as last month.

I'm sorry, but people can't always be protected from their own decisions.

Contact Profeco. Explain it as clearly as possible. Have copies of all paperwork to provide them. Keep realistic expectations.

Good Luck.

Welcome to TUG!

ADDED cbard, you posted 3 functionally similar posts about the same people who you feel wronged you within 3 hours in one forum/subforum on the same day you registered on TUG, and haven't followed up. If you are going to truly express that you were taken advantage of, you are going to have to spread the word a little better. I know that if someone took me for $87,000 or more, I would yell a little louder than you have.

Best wishes

Jim

Last edited:

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
Appreciate your letting others know.
Sorry it took so long to do your research on such a huge amount of $.

Get a lawyer , get what you have in proof/ paper work together.

Tropical lady

Reaction score
Oh nooooo......

Cbard,
You must have really been impressed with Miramar to consider selling your Grand Luxxe with all it's benefits and no MF unless use.
Contact legal sources as mentioned to see what can be done to get you out of this. Maybe a positive.....your Grand Luxxe is still yours to enjoy as many times the trade in sales do not happen. Good luck

Lilypadz

Reaction score
Grand Miramar and World Luxury Destinations Scam

My wife and I are victims of this timeshare scam by a combination of companies consisting of mainly of Grand Miramar Club & Spa PV, World Luxury Destinations in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, and Continental Resources from Houston, TX (?).
We have lost over $75,000 dollars in this timeshare scam, and I have documented evidence of this crime.
I suspect that the people that I am involved with are an organized crime group from the USA working in Mexico, and they victimizing many American and Canadians citizens visiting Mexico.
In addition , I suspect that John Monte, also known as Juan Carlos Montalbo, from San Antonio, TX, and possibly now living in Puerto Vallarta is the key person in this scam.
Base on internet blogs, he has been involved in multiple companies using misleading and fraudulent tactics to sell timeshares or memberships to timeshare related products in Mexico via fraudulent companies supposedly based out of the USA..
On the internet we have found many victims of this scam, and I suspect that they have been doing this for awhile through different company names and participating resort hotels.
I am seeking to recover the $75,000 that has been stolen from my wife and I.
I have contacted the authorities in the USA, and they are currently investigating this crime.
I am now in the process of contacting the authorities in Mexico
I have also read on the internet that this timeshare scam is well known by the authorities in Puerto Vallarta.

Lilypadz

Reaction score
Any resolution on this?

Scammed for $87,650.
World Luxury Destinations doing business as/with Grand Miramar Resport and Spa, Continental Resources, World Property Connections-Houston Texas with Advantage Trust International-Timeshare Escrow company

Do not do business with these people.

Cbard, my wife and I fell for the same scam. Any resolution on this yet?

Last edited:

Wilgii

Reaction score
The scam keeps on going and going

Once Grand Miramar has scammed you into believing that they will buyout your existing timeshares and even though you have it in your contract, the scam will probably continue.
About a year after, numerous fake companies tried to get my wife and I to sell the 4 weeks we stupidly bought at GM. They try to get you to send them money which they claim is an escrow. Don't fall for it!! The purchase will never go through.
Then yesterday, Hector Rangel who says he is the rental manager called me to see if I wanted to rent my 4 weeks. I told him on the phone yes go ahead and send me a check. Nope, again, they try to get you to send them money, even though my original contract says that I don't have to pay maintenance when I rent them out. I refused and so should you. In fact, below, you can read the email response I sent to this bozo yesterday. You can read his response. He appears to admit that it is a scam. Absolutely outrageous!!

In a message dated 10/02/12 21:02:06 Eastern Daylight Time, member.services@grandmiramarclubandspa.com writes:

I will but we still keep your money.

Hahaha

Hector Rangel
Grand Miramar Club & Spa
Accounting, Collections & Rentals Manager
Toll free: 1 800 360 2140

-----Mensaje original-----

De: markinsures <markinsures@aol.com>
Para: MEMBER SERVICES <member.services@grandmiramarclubandspa.com>
Enviado: miércoles 03 de octubre de 2012 00:59:07 GMT+00:00
Asunto: Re: Rental

Hector,

Look at what has happened on my account. GM has cheated me out of $24810 for the buyout of my timeshare in Cabo.
If you think I would advance any money to you or GM, please let me know because, I have a bridge in NYC that I can sell to you and you can make a ton of money in tolls. It's called the Brooklyn Bridge.
Ha Ha.

So Bugger off!

MarkInsures@aol.com
Coral Springs, FL

kcalvin

Reaction score
United Assets Group

I was also scammed by World Luxury Destinations, does anyone have an address for Alex Campos of United Assets Groupd in Mexico? Also, has anyone litigated and won against World Luxury Destinations, Biyaldi Estrategias Turistica Sa De Cv or United Assets Group?

Thank you!

pbarager

TUG Member
Reaction score
My God, I had no idea people were losing this kind of money. It makes me sick to think of what they are going through. I'm so very sorry for you.