• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2012] SCAM - Occidental Vacation Club

elmambo

Reaction score
Help with cancelation

I've tried to contact Luis Namnum numerous times to no avail. He's even emailed me and copied (who I guess is) his assistant/coordinator and said that she would be in contact with me to take care of my request to cancel (since I was within the 5 day period); I've heard nothing since last week.

Can anyone recommend what my next step should be? I even mailed my cancelation letter to 3 different addresses on the 3rd day and like I mentioned above emailed the president of this club (as he stated in her comment below). Not sure what else to do.

The Vacation Club i bought into was the Occidental in Punta Cana, DR.

Thanks for your help!

A letter from Mr. Luis Namnum, President of Occidental Vacation Club

My name is Luis Namnum, I’m the president of the Occidental Vacation Club. I have read with dismay some of the comments made on the TUG site. What some of you describe is not the company I run. I would like the opportunity to answer and/or solve some of the issues.

1. Cancellation Within Five Days- Is healthy for both the buyer and the seller to allow for a reasonable cooling off period. Mexican law calls for 5 days. We are obliged not only to accept your cancellation but to refund as fast as possible (minus significant gifts we gave the buyer as a gift for buying). Is really bad business to keep a member that is not happy with the purchase for whatever reason.

We will make some changes in the procedure to include an e-mail address directly to my headquarters so that my corporate team can handle the cancellation request in addition to the sales site.

Furthermore, If any of the writers in this blog have this sort of issue, please send me a note (you have my e-mail address in the welcome kit) with a copy of the letter or anything else you tried to send cancelling within the five days, and will take care of it. I really don’t care how much time has passed.

2. Lies from the sales staff: Our policy is that if, at any time after purchase, we find that the sale was made under false pretenses, we cancel at the owners request with full refund. Ours is a good product, we don’t and should not need to lie to sell it.

We have in place mechanisms to cover all possible things a sales person can say on the sales table both with documents, training and supervision; but, given 'the face to face' nature of the sale, we are not able to cover all things. Nor, unfortunately, can we cover what the customer understood was being said.

The fact of the matter is that within a very short period of time whatever my staff promised is going to have to be delivered. If we cannot then the right and only thing to do is to refund and get rid of the staff member.

Our success depends on delivering on the product sold. We own most of the hotels, we are not going anywhere.

I urge any of the writers in this blog that felt that lies were used to sell you the membership, get in contact with me and lets solve this.

3. How to Get Out: We do not have a policy for this. We expect that members are going to honor the financial commitment they made in the promissory note. It is sometimes hard to explain that after the sale is processed the company has to incur in 100% of the cost related to the sale, costs that are much higher than the downpayment income. Like many other companies, we incur in these expenses based on the promise made by the customer to pay their bills.

But we also understand that things change and that what was affordable yesterday may not be today. Contact us with your individual case and we will work something out.

4. Lowest Rate Guarantee: Our members MUST pay a lower All Inclusive rate than anybody else using our hotels. Not only do we guarantee this, but our Rate Pledge states that if at any time a member finds a published rate lower than the one the booked with or used, we will not only match such a rate but will add on a 15% discount.

I probably have not answered all of the comments or have missed something, please write to me if I did and I will face it, take care of it or give you your money back.

Buying my product should not be a source of tension or unhappiness, and most important it should not make anyone feel that there is no recourse. Our club be a source of good stuff. If it's not, allow us to fix it, if we can’t, then it is fair to end the relationship with as few losses to each other as possible.

Luis Namnum
President
Occidental Vacation Club

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
I've tried to contact Luis Namnum numerous times to no avail. He's even emailed me and copied (who I guess is) his assistant/coordinator and said that she would be in contact with me to take care of my request to cancel (since I was within the 5 day period); I've heard nothing since last week.

Can anyone recommend what my next step should be?

You could contact Profeco, the Mexican consumer protection agency, at this website.

You could include a copy of Mr. Namnum's post and let them know what you have done and the emails you've sent at his request. Also, contact your credit card company and notify them of your rescission of the contract.

Hopefully you'll hear back from Mr. Namnum soon and he'll make good on the promises he has made. Let us know what happens.

elmambo

Reaction score
Thanks, Karen! I'll do that tomorrow if I don't hear back from them and report back.

You could contact Profeco, the Mexican consumer protection agency, at this website.

You could include a copy of Mr. Namnum's post and let them know what you have done and the emails you've sent at his request. Also, contact your credit card company and notify them of your rescission of the contract.

Hopefully you'll hear back from Mr. Namnum soon and he'll make good on the promises he has made. Let us know what happens.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Karen, since the resort in question is in Dominican Republic, it's doubtful Profeco can help. In theory, at least, this person- concierge@occidentalvacationclub.com/ seems to have helped an earlier poster- at least to the point that s/he removed their post that was (ahem) unkind to OVC.

Jim

elmambo

Reaction score
Thanks for the info as well, Jim - I went back a few pages and saw that interaction. I've sent the OVC user a private message and asked if they could look into my situation. We'll see what comes about. will keep you guys posted.

Thanks again.

Karen, since the resort in question is in Dominican Republic, it's doubtful Profeco can help. In theory, at least, this person- concierge@occidentalvacationclub.com/ seems to have helped an earlier poster- at least to the point that s/he removed their post that was (ahem) unkind to OVC.

Jim

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Karen, since the resort in question is in Dominican Republic, it's doubtful Profeco can help.

Oops! Sorry about that.:eek:

I wonder, though, if the resort is part of a Mexican vacation club based on post #8 in this thread which shows a Playa del Carmen address.

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info as well, Jim - I went back a few pages and saw that interaction. I've sent the OVC user a private message and asked if they could look into my situation. We'll see what comes about. will keep you guys posted.

Thanks again.

You might try the email contact. s/he hasn't been on TUG for a while and their issue was resolved. J

elmambo

Reaction score
I believe it is. When I originally sent Luis Namnum an email he specifically told me that his assistant or coordinator from his Mexican office would be in contact with me; and I specifically stated in my email that I had signed the contract in Punta Cana, DR.

Oops! Sorry about that.:eek:

I wonder, though, if the resort is part of a Mexican vacation club based on post #8 in this thread which shows a Playa del Carmen address.

OVC

Reaction score

Thanks again.

Hello there! Sorry it took us awhile to get your message. We'll look into it know. However, please feel free to email us at concierge@occidentalvacationclub.com.

IT

elmambo

Reaction score
Quick update on my issue...

Hey folks, just a quick update on this. Since posting here and getting the contact information, the Vacation Club administrators have been in regular communication with me via email (almost all day today) and they've just finalized my cancellation documentation and sent it over for my review. All looks good.

I'll be sending all my paperwork in and expect to get my refund (minus a few bucks for some of the services that were used - fair point on their end) within the next couple of weeks.

I post this to 1) Thank you guys for the help..thank you! and 2) To give credit where credit is due...Luis Namnum, OVC and the folks on the admin side of this company for making things right. Granted...this is still NOT 100% complete...but, I will update again once the refund part is finalized to close the loop on my situation with the club.

Thanks again for those of you who responded to my posts!!

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Great news, elmambo. Thanks for letting us know!

OccidentalDUD

Reaction score
[Post text removed at request of Original Poster. This is required by Occidental Vacation Club as a condition of settlement. -- Makai Guy, TUG BBS Administrator]

Last edited by a moderator:

elmambo

Reaction score
I would send an email directly to concierge@occidentalvacationclub.com with the details on your issue. They were able to look into my situation and get things moving. You should also want to copy the club's president on your email since he seems to make himself involved and looks to right any wrongs there may have been.

Good luck!

Hi all I am new to this website so my apologies if I don't reply correctly. My husband and I are in a really awful situation. Back in may we purchased into the OCCIDENTAL VACATION CLUB. Once we got home and found this website we did everything in our power to rescind our contract. On the 5th day which our contract states, we sent out a certified letter postmarked to all the offices staying our cancellation. We also sent emails stating our problem. This was where our problem happened. The sales rep called us and convinced us that we should keep the club because we can sell our weeks to help supplement the cost. He even gave us a contact phone number to a Sean Stacy. We called and this guy guaranteed the same. So we emailed back saying ok we will keep it. Now it's been months and Sean Stacy no longer exists. Well what we found out was that they sent us to another fraudulent person. This company is I trouble for, fraud, money laundering, and identity theft. Now does anyone really want to do business with either of these companies. So now we just received our recipe claiming that they received our cancellation. But the sales guys is claiming our email stands. According to profeco, that is not a valid form of communication. We cancelled the card that we put the deposit on and called fraud on that charge. We have not been able to get I touch with anybody in the company besides the sales rep who I know won't do anything. Can someone please help. This company OCCIDENTAL VACATION CLUB lied to us and then put us in direct contact with another fraudulent company. We are opening a case with profeco and have all the emails from the rep saying we can sell our weeks which was a lie does anyone have anymore advice.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
OccidentalDUD: you already rescinded and you already got your money back, so WHY are you repeating yourself in a different thread?

Sent from my BNTV400 using Tapatalk

OccidentalDUD

Reaction score
Denise, I am sorry for repeating myself. I am just really worried. And technically I didn't get the check back and it has not cleared. You know these people are shady. Don't you think it's possible that they can stop payment? Also like I mentioned yesterday the mortgage is still open. Why wouldn't everything happen at once? They are claiming that the email stands. Also I a, just repeating in other threads to just get more options and advice. I don't know how long to wait, what to do, who is next to contact. And the sales rep is bullying us now saying it's going to go to collections. We don't know who else to contact. Sorry :(

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
And technically I didn't get the check back and it has not cleared.
Did you pay by check or credit card? You said in the other thread that your credit card company told you that the charge had been reversed. If there is a check floating around out there somewhere call the bank and stop payment on it.

OccidentalDUD

Reaction score
Hi Karen yes. I paid off the card and closed it before they credited us back. What I think happened was I started a fraud case and the potential rescission went through. I randomly called to make sure the card was closed and they said I had negative balance of the deposit I made. Sine the card is closed they asked if I wanted a check for the refund which I am waiting for. This all happened bc the sales guys was saying we couldn't really rescind so we paid it off and then saw they hadn't even received our certified letter. There is a lot of time lapse and confusion. Maybe that is why I am worried. [Comment redacted per agreement with developer] so we sent an email. On the same day we mailed the certified letter. According to profeco website it says email is not a valid form of communication so we are hoping that the certified letter stands.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
If the credit card company said they will send you a check, they will. That is the last thing I'd worry about.

At this point, you need to take a deep breath, stop contacting people at Occidental, and give this some time to unwind. Continuing to have contact with Occidental only leaves the door open for more problems - just like it did when they talked you out of rescinding the first time. You have been your own worst enemy in this situation.

If you have NEW info. to post, feel free to do so, but please don't start any new threads, and please don't repost your original story again - that doesn't accomplish anything.

OVC

Reaction score
Hi Karen yes. I paid off the card and closed it before they credited us back. What I think happened was I started a fraud case and the potential rescission went through. I randomly called to make sure the card was closed and they said I had negative balance of the deposit I made. Sine the card is closed they asked if I wanted a check for the refund which I am waiting for. This all happened bc the sales guys was saying we couldn't really rescind so we paid it off and then saw they hadn't even received our certified letter. There is a lot of time lapse and confusion. Maybe that is why I am worried. The sales guy bullied us into keeping so we sent an email. On the same day we mailed the certified letter. According to profeco website it says email is not a valid form of communication so we are hoping that the certified letter stands.

Hello there! If there's still a pending issue with the Club, please contact us at concierge@occidentalvacationclub.com to take a look at your account.

Regards!

IT

OccidentalDUD

Reaction score
So as of now we are waiting for a response from the club. Unfortunetly they are connecting us back to Greta at the playa del Carmen office. [Comment redacted per agreement with developer] There must be some sort of confusion on their end since they credited our deposit back but did not close out the mortgage account. Let's see where this goes

OccidentalDUD

Reaction score
[Post text removed at request of Original Poster. This is required by the developer as a condition of settlement. -- Makai Guy, TUG BBS Administrator]

OccidentalDUD

Reaction score
OccidentalDUD: you already rescinded and you already got your money back, so WHY are you repeating yourself in a different thread?

Sent from my BNTV400 using Tapatalk
The office is claiming our contract is still in full affect and that if we don't make a payment we will be going to collections. Someone in their office clearly credited us but not sure what's next