• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2012 ] Optimal Owner Care

grandschnauzer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are they all scammers? I would say no BUT I personally get annoyed by the stream of cold callers who blatantly disregard the do-not-call list. If they thumb their nose at that, I wonder what other laws they don't care to follow.

I'm beginning to believe they all are. OOC, after telling me the only money they make is 35% of the rental price wouldn't list me unless I purchased more points.
The red flags were; a cold contact, promise of an avg $1800/wk in rentals (less 35%). A 'calculator' to show me how much I need to be vacation "self sufficient", and an appointment with the supervisor/manager who turns up the heat. A little research went a long way! Much of what I gleaned off the internet, including tug, contradicted what I'd been hearing! Mainly I baulked at the cash outlay, $13-19K to purchase 300k points, and pick up all those maint. fees. Buy my points on Ebay? You cah't do that! "We don't sell points,but we have reputable resellers we use and they finance!"

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sounds like they are scammers insofar as one defines timeshare developer salespeople as scammers. They are pushing a legitimate, tangible product, but at an expense that far exceeds the utility gained from acquiring the product, while playing fast and loose with the truth.

bshmerlie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I say...just hang up. The easiest way to never get scammed....don't take the phone call. Has anybody really had anythig fabulous ever come from a cold caller? Think about it.

lindner

TUG Member
Reaction score
If they were legitimate, why wouldn't they just buy lots of Wyndham points off eBay themselves? It seems to me that instead of only getting 35% and leaving the owner with a profit, they could keep all the profit themselves. Furthermore, they can fire all the staff currently doing cold calls seeking Wyndham owners as they will be using their own points. I mean, you can get billions of Wyndham points off eBay for free right now, so why go through all the trouble of finding current Wyndham owners? If their business model was indeed based on rental that would seem the better path to profits (of course, they would be stuck with the points forever, but if they are making a profit, then what's bad about that?). On the other hand, if they often do not rent at a profit for the owner, or if they are merely a front for selling high priced resale points, then that wouldn't work.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
...wouldn't list me unless I purchased more points.

This is the key right here. They don't want anything to do with you unless you purchase over priced resale points from them. That is their profit. Once they have their money I would doubt that they put any real effort in the rental aspect of their "business model."

grandschnauzer

TUG Member
Reaction score
By the way, for those who would like to list for no money down, 25% commission and realistic returns, Sellmytimesharenow will work with you.

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

ampaholic

TUG Member
Reaction score
Shame on you rentshare. You should explore the link before denigrating it - That WKORV-N is just the "featured timeshare" they have lots of other listings without ridiculous prices.

And when you think about it just how many WKORV-N Platinum Oceanfront units exist? I see people ask ridiculous prices for their stuff all the time on Pawn Stars.

Just sayin .... :rolleyes:

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
2nd post comes in touting an advertising site with obscenely overpriced listings

When the featured Item came up as a Wyndham Star Island for $ 64,000 I had to search from the top down.

Yes there are some realistically priced units, but the fact that they post listings like that indicate this is purely an advertising site that offers no insight to the market when "accepting the listings"

Looking at the 418,000 Timeshares listed for sale Sorted High to Low

http://www.sellmytimesharenow.com/timeshare/All+Timeshare/vacation/buy-timeshare/sellPrice%2Bdesc%252Cresort%2Basc%252Cmin_week%2Basc/

Most of the Units > $ 300,000 are fractionals but here is another example

http://www.sellmytimesharenow.com/timeshares/index/content/details/AdNumber/1313108/

Can't figure out their charge without giving up too much personal; information but

With Sell My Timeshare NOW, you can expect only high quality, affordable advertising services - our goal is to make it as simple as possible for you to sell timeshare.
  • No hidden fees - skip the expense of commissions and unnecessary appraisal fees
  • Global advertising reach - qualified buyers from more than 176 countries
  • Proven results - an average of over $1 million in offers to our advertisers EVERY DAY
IMHO all your going to get is "advertising services"

Last edited:

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Furthermore, they can fire all the staff currently doing cold calls seeking Wyndham owners...

And downsize by laying off all the researchers who go searching through the Public Deeds for owners' information. After all, isn't that how they get owners' information (including phone numbers)? Unless maybe they get that information from black market lists ... nah, they wouldn't do that.

ampaholic

TUG Member
Reaction score
2nd post comes in touting an advertising site with obscenely overpriced listings

Actually my post - if you care to read and understand it - is not "touting" anything except perhaps your lousy research methods.

No one said or claimed it was anything but "an advertising site" - so why does it bother you that it is an advertising site?

You got something against people being able to advertise their timeshares at whatever price they see fit? Do you fail to grasp how "free country" works?

Last edited:

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
Actually my post - if you care to read and understand it - is not "touting" anything except perhaps your lousy research methods.

No one said or claimed it was anything but "an advertising site" - so why does it bother you that it is an advertising site?

You got something against people being able to advertise their timeshares at whatever price they see fit? Do you fail to crasp how "free country" works?

This was the post that offended me 2nd Post Touting a site that I went back and saw hundreds of CA timeshares listed for 20 - 30 Thousand Dollars

By the way, for those who would like to list for no money down, 25% commission and realistic returns, Sellmytimesharenow will work with you.

Do you have a second ID ?

Last edited:

ampaholic

TUG Member
Reaction score
This was the post that offended me 2nd Post Touting a site that I went back and saw hundreds of CA timeshares listed for 20 - 30 Thousand Dollars

Actually you
censored.gif
- I still wasn't "touting" anything except your rabid antagonism for a perfectly reasonable advertising site.

But now I will tout it just to emphasize your pathetic excuse for research.

With a cursory search I have found:

More intervals under $1000 than are over $100,000 - many at only $1!

A Kauai Beach Villas interval for only $495 - DeniseM's favorite resort!

An MROP for $150 - My favorite resort!

Many other real deals! You just have to get off your lazy duff and search for them - much like Amazon.

Do you have a second ID ?
No - Don't be a
stirthepot.gif
!

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
Someone is amped up this morning.

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
Need to stop arguing with idiots, must be something in the water in Spokane

ampaholic

TUG Member
Reaction score
Need to stop arguing with idiots, must be something in the water in Spokane

Good advice - yes there must be something in the water - you are right, I do need to stop arguing with idiots.

I normally wouldn't go so far as to call you an idiot - but since you called yourself that - how can I be disagreeable. :rolleyes:

Good day!

grandschnauzer

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am listing several timeshare weeks with sellmytimesharenow.com. It has cost me nothing! Nor have I sold anything yet. I will pay a 25% commission when the weeks are rented. I think this is fair compensation for services provided.
Has anyone heard anything to make them believe this site is a scam? They have a very high position on Google in the timeshare sales/rentals variations.
Are they poor salesman? You'd get hungry working for commissions if you were!

I'm not 'touting' anything, but contrasting this site to Optimal Owner Care. Besides I'm talking about rental, not sales. They will runs ads for you for a price (no commissions).
This may explain about some of the prices. Without giving any personal information, the price I listed for was Quite reasonable. If it rents,great. If not, I'll cancel my reservation and book something else. Hasn't cost anything but time.

Last edited:

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am listing several timeshare weeks with sellmytimesharenow.com. It has cost me nothing! Nor have I sold anything yet. I will pay a 25% commission when the weeks are rented. I think this is fair compensation for services provided.

I'd say 25% commission is debatable but not totally unreasonable as long as their commission comes out of the proceeds of the rental.

The big question though is What SMTN does for owners that warrants 25% that you can't do yourself?

I'm not saying don't use them or that they're a scam, just wondering if the 25% is worth it?

grandschnauzer

TUG Member
Reaction score
The point to commission sales is that it motivates the salesman. The salesman has to make a living, so they need to make enough to make it worth their time. In other words the more I make the more they make. To do their job right, they need to have a well trafficked location and have some idea what the market will bear.

As I said, this is at no risk to me!

By the way, suggestions of web sites that rent timeshares, and reasonable commissions can be found on this website!

I'm also auctioning and advertising on other websites myself. I'll let you know how it goes.

grandschnauzer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Update

Ive listed several items FOR RENT with sellmytimesharenow. It still hasn't cost me a nickle. Nor have I made a nickle!

My conclusion is that they probably want to much at $1000 for a week. That and the fact that they run a lot of paid adds at prices I know are not going to move.

So, I'm removing most of my business for more fertile ground. I've done well renting on a points format. People can get a day or a week or whatever, wherever as available. My only expense is paypal.

It's not that $1800 Optimal Owner Care was promising but I haven't seen anyone renting at that price. (successfully)

Did I really get the last word? :cheer:

rrsafety

Reaction score
The point to commission sales is that it motivates the salesman. The salesman has to make a living, so they need to make enough to make it worth their time. In other words the more I make the more they make. To do their job right, they need to have a well trafficked location and have some idea what the market will bear.

Well, I guess a commission of 25% wasn't good enough for them to learn what the market would bear. ;)

24freedom

Reaction score
How do you get "timeshare free"?

To Theo: How did you get free of your timeshare, if I may ask?

And as for Optimal Owner Care - it comes as close to a business I might take advantage of as any I've seen attached to timeshare ownership, but, as some of you said, they only want to deal with folks that have LOTS of points and are special "status" owners, so they can save on other fees of transferring weeks, etc. So, in other words - they only want to work with folks who have TONS of points, which I would imagine is a minority of owners.

So I am still looking for a way out of ownership, or a way to rent out weeks that we don't use.

Hope some of you experienced folks can help us!

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well here we are a few months later. Anyone else MF free besides me??? Ha ha ha

I love it and yes I am gloating! They have rented out nearly 2.3 million of my points since I last posted! After their 35% commission I have received $14,345.00 towards the points used for rentals that have already passed. I think I have about 5k to 6k more due to me but the people have not checked in yet, but they have paid!

On top of the rental income I have received, the only thing I have had to do is sign a couple of rental agreements for the renters and walk out to my mailbox and pick up checks every now and then.

I have looked, and I have yet to see any existing clients of theirs saying anything bad about these guys online anywhere. Only those who have never done business with them. Don't believe everything that you read online.

They have also cancel/rebooked/upgraded all of my personal reservations saving me around 350k points that they then used to do more rental. This has, to say the least, been the best experience in all of my timeshare usage.

Thanks to all of you guys over at OOC and to you guys who doubt the veracity of these folks...enjoy paying those MF's every month!

No one called bullShill on this post

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
No one called bullShill on this post

Okay, bullshill. But that doesn't prove anything. I don't know whether this guy is legit or a shill.