• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2011] Unsolicited Calls 3-4 a Day

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
Letting them flow through to VoiceMail, then looking up the number - getting three to four cold calls from "Timeshare Related" Scammers daily

Is it my portfolio ?

Are they that desperate ?

Is stealing up front fees that lucrative ?

Anyone else experiencing an increase ?

Thanks

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Letting them flow through to VoiceMail, then looking up the number - getting three to four cold calls from "Timeshare Related" Scammers daily

Is it my portfolio ?

Thanks

I've received a few here and there but nowhere near as many as you.

It must be pretty lucrative because the last one I received gave him a minute to state his case. Then I concluded by saying, "You're an upfront fee scammer. Good Bye!" and the hung up.

He called back less than 2 minutes later and started by saying, "Sorry, we must have got cut off there..."

Suzy

TUG Member
Reaction score
I used to get that many too. Now I just respond that I'm on the Do Not Call List and I will turn them in to the Attorney General's Office. That has stopped my calls almost completely. The 2nd call can get turned in to the AG.

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
I used to get that many too. Now I just respond that I'm on the Do Not Call List and I will turn them in to the Attorney General's Office. That has stopped my calls almost completely. The 2nd call can get turned in to the AG.

Most laugh at the "DO NOT CALL THREAT"

Their core business model is to steal a fee by lying to you, so why should the be concerned with the Do Not Call legalities

Easier to just ignore the call rathher than get in a battle of wits with them

a1000monkeys

Reaction score
I don't have a landline anymore which eliminates these types of calls but when I did get sham solictations I would just put down the phone and let them continue their spiel. Often it would take them a few mintues to figure out nobody was listening but that's a few mintues they aren't scamming someone else.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Most laugh at the "DO NOT CALL THREAT"

Their core business model is to steal a fee by lying to you, so why should the be concerned with the Do Not Call legalities

Easier to just ignore the call rathher than get in a battle of wits with them

Yeah - got just about as much impact as the "Do Not Remove Under Penalty of Law" tags on mattresses and the "FBI Warnings" on DVDs.

bjones9942

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lindo Mar, Puerto Vallarta; Lake Tahoe Beach & Ski, South Lake Tahoe
Buy a very loud whistle. Blow it. Hang up.

[I got hit in the head with a coarse grained plutonic once when I was a child - it's something you don't forget. But it does look pretty as a counter-top.]

Suzy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Rent Share,

I live in Missouri and the AG takes the Do Not Call list very seriously here. I have never been called a second time by any of the postcard companies. I have the AG's form handy and list every call by name/number.

Again, I tell them not to call. I used to get many, many calls, and now I haven't received one in 6 months.

Perhaps your AG doesn't care. That's too bad.

Last edited:

yoohoo

Reaction score
You should be able to sue them in small claims court for $500 per call if they call after being asked to be put on the "Do not call list". You have to say it exactly that way. If they do not have a "Do not call list", that is another $500. It is difficult to collect out of state and does cost money to file the suit.

Last edited:

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I can call-block up to 30 #'s on my landline phones, and I use it often.
So much so, that I once call blocked my own cell. :)

glypnirsgirl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I can call-block up to 30 #'s on my landline phones, and I use it often.
So much so, that I once call blocked my own cell. :)

:rofl:

Love this! Can you tell me how to call block someone?

elaine

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Umm... It helps to have Panasonic cordless phones with this feature built-in.
There prob'ly are other brands with high-end models that can do this.

Some phone companies may offer call blocking as a special-order feature
of local service (like caller-ID). ATT offers this in some places.

If I don't recognize a caller ID, I let it go to voice-mail. If its important enuff,
they'll leave a message. Most solicitations do not. I block any # that makes
more than two such calls.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
If I don't recognize a caller ID, I let it go to voice-mail. If its important enuff,
they'll leave a message.
I totally subscribe to that notion.

When a telephone rings I feel totally free to ignore the phone if it's not convenient.

I figure that if the person calling me could actually observe me at the moment, and had reasonable manners, they would choose a time to talk to me when they wouldn't be interrupting me. The only difference with the phone is that they can't see me. I don't see why I should feel compelled to drop whatever I'm doing and answer the phone just because they happened to chose that moment to call me.

So, yeah, let it go to voice mail. Check the caller ID if you want, but even if it's someone I recognize I still don't answer it if it's not convenient.

the_truth

Reaction score
The truth is that you most likely had a complaint of some sort with the resort and the resort (timeshare developer) sold your name to these companies to distract you from the real issue.

MellissaRicks

Reaction score

Is it my portfolio ?

Thanks

Haven't received a call this week. But I did the previous. It was just one call, though.Came from this phone number 954-990-0818. Is that what you have, too?

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
You can Google unknown calling numbers and find out about them such as this report.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a service on my phone that displays the callers number and another called voice mail

I have discovered that if I dont answer a call , the caller is offered an opportunity to leave a message for me.

I choose which calls Im going to answer and which go to voicemail and then I choose which calls to return