• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2011] Disney World First Timers ?? Best/ Recommended RCI Resort for Family ??

BearsFan315

TUG Member
Reaction score
Disney Update

Well in we were able to get a unit @ Bonnet Creek

from all the posts and reviews looks like we should be very happy and content. we patiently waited for RCI to post them for our desired week, and it paid off. And within a few days all fo the posted Bonnet Creek were Gone, glad we watched the postings.

we also decided to fly, and are goin allegiant, i was stalking hte webiste na watching prices, and think we got a steal of a deal, cost us about $180 roundtrip per person. Now the same flights are about $225 round trip, also booked a rental car for dirt cheap for the week.

so our travel and transportation is covered. We are going down a day early so we have time to get there, settle in, get our bearings nad relax before we get all Disney :)

now it is best to buy tickets online direct from Disney or can you get them cheaper at the gates, or somewhere close by down in Orlando ?? Hotel, Resort, Vacation Planner ?? We are looking to jsut get 5 day passes with possibility of water park option. Not interested in the hopper option.

thanks for all your guidenace so far, we are excited and coutning down to our trip... 4 months to go !!

chalee94

TUG Member
Reaction score
now it is best to buy tickets online direct from Disney or can you get them cheaper at the gates, or somewhere close by down in Orlando ?? Hotel, Resort, Vacation Planner ?? We are looking to jsut get 5 day passes with possibility of water park option. Not interested in the hopper option.

best deals on tickets are online at authorized resellers like undercovertourist or mapleleaftickets. there may be a slight additional discount if you are on a regular email list like mousesavers or allears.

it's not a huge savings but every little bit helps. (don't forget that disney direct prices don't include sales tax.)

JackieD

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
hotel.

Disney: If you get to the park when they first open with the extra magic hour, and use the fastpass system, you can get on every ride you want. At Magic Kingdom in the morning we went on Space Mountain three times, Splash Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain twice, It's a Small World, and Buzz Lightyear. We were done by noon. We went back to the hotel and relaxed and then went to Epcot at night for their extra magic hours (and rode Soarin and Test Track). The trick is to get the fast pass before you go on the ride you want. Then, hold it while you go on that ride as well as a second ride. Then, your time for another fast pass will be ready and you can get another. You don't have to use the fast passes when they say you do. They can be used throughout the day. Always get fast passes when the time allows you (it says when on your fast pass ticket).

I agree with getting to the parks early and it's a must in my book (when it's less crowded and less hot) We used to use this fast pass strategy and it worked great but sadly, the fast passes have to now be used during the time window printed (according to the Disboards.com) :eek:

We've gone in July & August and yes, it's hot and humid but my husband who wears shorts year round and is always hot, says it's bearable and 'hey, I'm on vacation and it beats being home!'. We try to get back to the resort around 1:00 ish and hang out til nighttime.

We stayed at Bonnet Creek last March for Spring Break. We loved it there. We travelled with 2 - 18yr olds, 15, 11 and they enjoyed the grounds and the convenient location near Disney. We used their shuttle a couple times and drove a couple times. Both were convenient but since parking is now $14/day it was nice taking their bus.

I suggest signing up to receive Mousesavers newsletter. Email comes the middle of each month and it has a special link for Undercover tourist for WDW and waterpark tickets. They have a little discount but usually run deals like buy 3 days and receive 4. I have purchased from them at least 4 times and they send an actual ticket (not a voucher), free shipping and tax included.

I have always used the WDW Unofficial Guide for their touring plans. No, it doesn't leave a lot of room for spontaneity :wall: but we never have waited more than 20 minutes for a ride and the kids always appreciate that!

Have a great time!!

arihillfarm

Reaction score
If I remember correctly, you are taking school-age kids, right? If so, look into the Disney Y.E.S. (Youth Education Series) program for 3 hour long educational behind the scenes programs (usually finished before lunch) for the kids on a date during your stay. The programs are free and allow you to buy steeply discounted base tickets (almost 50% off gate price) with or without options (hopper and/or water parks) for the number of days you need, for the kids and immediate family adults traveling with them.

Here is the link to the Disney World Programs offered:
http://www.disneyyouth.com/individual-enrollment/catalog/?location[]=WDW&filter=startDate

Just scroll down and find programs that fall within your travel dates and see if there are any that the kids qualify for based on age.

Here is the link to ticket prices for the YES program:
http://www.disneyyouth.com/individual-enrollment/WDW/pricing/2012/non-florida/

A 5 day premium ticket with hopping and 5 WPF&M visits are $198 each through the YES program, gate price for the same ticket is $385. Both prices include tax.

Also, as a side note, any Disney park ticket holder can use the Disney transportation system to include buses, not just Disney resort guests. That doesn't help you get to/from the parks from BC but is nice for a resort dining reservation if you are leaving from one of the parks. :)

-Astrid

Well in we were able to get a unit @ Bonnet Creek

from all the posts and reviews looks like we should be very happy and content. we patiently waited for RCI to post them for our desired week, and it paid off. And within a few days all fo the posted Bonnet Creek were Gone, glad we watched the postings.

we also decided to fly, and are goin allegiant, i was stalking hte webiste na watching prices, and think we got a steal of a deal, cost us about $180 roundtrip per person. Now the same flights are about $225 round trip, also booked a rental car for dirt cheap for the week.

so our travel and transportation is covered. We are going down a day early so we have time to get there, settle in, get our bearings nad relax before we get all Disney :)

thanks for all your guidenace so far, we are excited and coutning down to our trip... 4 months to go !!

Last edited:

Lisa P

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Points
I have an ongoing search with RCI weeks to find a disney property to stay on Dec 29 2012. Do you think I started looking too late and what month should I say forget it and look at possible offsite locations.
DVC rarely deposits holiday weeks, like this New Year's week. Especially if you need a room larger than a studio, I'd encourage you to have a back-up plan. Hope it works out!

BearsFan315

TUG Member
Reaction score
Disney 2012

well we are within weeks of our vacation and thanks to everyone for their guidance and information !!

We booked our flights, saved a ton. booked a rental car savedsome more. exchnaged in to Bonnet Creek and still ahd some RCI Points left over. Actually got a welcom package from Bonnet Creek with a letter and information as well as a registration slip to pre-fill before we arrive to expedite our check-in when we arrive (hope this actually works).

Think we have everything we need to go. Even got some Disney tickets thanks to a suggestion our kids enrolled in a YES Program and saved a bundle on the tickets for the week.

Now just making sure ducks are in a row and waiting for time to pass . . .

glypnirsgirl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Awesome! Hope you have a great trip!

The Bonnet Creek units are beautiful and the kitchens are extremely well equipped.

The last thing that I recommend is printing out Google maps from the airport to the grocery store and from BC to the grocery store. If you have a GPS, this is probably not necessary.

Have fun!

elaine

well we are within weeks of our vacation and thanks to everyone for their guidance and information !!

We booked our flights, saved a ton. booked a rental car savedsome more. exchnaged in to Bonnet Creek and still ahd some RCI Points left over. Actually got a welcom package from Bonnet Creek with a letter and information as well as a registration slip to pre-fill before we arrive to expedite our check-in when we arrive (hope this actually works).

Think we have everything we need to go. Even got some Disney tickets thanks to a suggestion our kids enrolled in a YES Program and saved a bundle on the tickets for the week.

Now just making sure ducks are in a row and waiting for time to pass . . .

BearsFan315

TUG Member
Reaction score
Disney 2012

We hope to enjoy everyday and then some . . .

we have plotted out the resort, local shopping, groceries, goodies, etc.. and we are bringing Lola :hysterical: with us as well.
Lola was the name of the GPS from the movie RV with Robin Williams

justmeinflorida

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have to agree with other posters here about the weather. It is VERY hot here during July/August. Don't go by it's only gonna be 92 because with humidity it will feel more like 110 and forgot about it if it rains that just makes it feel hotter. Right now it says it's 87.8 but feels like 98 but go outside on my deck and thermometer reads 104 :eek: The torrential (yes monsoon type) rains we get here during that time could close down the parks, it happens all the time.

But if you insist on coming in July/August I would highly recommend staying at a resort with tons of activities, so if does rain for days you'll have something to do with the children.

youcanfly

TUG Member
Reaction score
I must say, I'm envious about your upcoming trip. Congrats on getting kids in YES program. I've looked into the program for my youngest and wish I had heard about it before my oldest was in college. I know you've seen alot of posts about avoiding the afternoon heat. It really can make a great trip down right misreable. My suggestion would be to enjoy the parks in the mornings and have the flexibilty to go back and swim at your hotel. On days when this is not an option, try hitting the shops during the hottest parts of the day or move at a slower pace and enjoy all of the shows and parades. One thing I use to help me avoid crowds is http://touringplans.com/
It is very helpful and simple to use. Simply plug in your dates and it can show you suggestions on park levels and which park to visit on which day. It can even give you a ride by ride guide if you like. And of course, nights will be great for park time. Night time shows are AMAZING at Disney. If you would like more info on parks/rides/shows/dining please let me know and I'll see if I can help. I really love helping people make the most out of their trip to Disney!

MichaelColey

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Is it really that much worse in July and August? We've only been in September, October, December, February and May, but our first August trip is coming up. Looking at average highs, July and August are the worst (92), but June and September are close (90) and even May isn't much cooler (87). I know it can get quite a bit hotter than the averages (it was in the mid 90s when we were there in May). I guess the other factor is the humidity and rain, but once again June and September are almost as bad as July and August.

We plan on focusing on the parks primarily in the mornings (rope drop through lunchtime) when we're there in August.
FWIW, when we went last August (a 4 week trip), the weather really wasn't that bad. We focused on mornings and evenings at the parks, with afternoon breaks to nap and/or swim. It might have been a tad hotter than our September trips, but not much.

RachelR

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have been in August and September in the past, as well as Oct., Nov., Feb., March, April and May. March was wonderful!!! I loved March! September, (which is when we are traveling this year), was hotter than when we went in August. May was also very hot, but not as humid.

You will have fun in August, but get to the parks before they open. You can get a lot done early! We have found that going to the parks without extra magic hours, will usually mean smaller crowds. So, the benefit of extra hours, is usually lost by larger crowds.

Have a wonderful trip and remember that you can get large glasses of ice water at the quick service locations just by asking. It's a lifesaver.

If you haven't found it yet, allears.net has a dining section, with the menus and prices, in the parks and the disney resorts!!

Which classes are your children attending? My grandson is taking a class in September, during our trip. Gotta love those YES ticket prices!:D

Last edited: