• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2010] Shingles Vaccine

Larry

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Has anyone gotten the shingles shot? If so, did your insurance cover the cost? I've been thinking about getting the vaccine for awhile and my Dr. did recommend it. My 88 yr old mom just got shingles and she is miserable. I plan on making an appointment as soon as I get home next week to get the shot. Any pros/cons?

I got the shot last year and my insurance Blue Cross/ Blue Shield PPO covered it in Full. I also had no reaction.

JudyH

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Fed Blue Cross does cover it and its no charge to you.

Lee B

TUG Member
Reaction score
My Kaiser dr. said that they would pay for it, but he let me know that some people have a reaction, it doesn't immunize everyone, and if I get shingles, they have a drug to treat it. That made me decide to forego the shot.

Now, though, I'm thinking of getting it because I don't want chronic fatigue (yet knowing that it's not now certain to be the same virus) and I'd like to avoid shingles entirely rather than attack it after it flares.

I'm glad to have found this thread. :clap:

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Is there any family histories that come into play here? My mother has generally been pretty healthy most of her life. However she had reoccuring shingles nearly annually for the last 15 years. She also has Herpes 1 (cold sore).

I too have had chickpox, and get cold sores all the time, since at least when I was 4 or 5.

(My mom now also is in the late stages of alzheimers. Not exactly sure it it runs in families as well, I certainly hope that is not somehow hereditary as that is currently one of my medical concerns.)

PrairieGirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Judy S - thank you for your insight - and obviously you have the expertise to be providing correct information! I never had chicken pox as a child and was waiting with bated breath once the vaccine for chicken pox was announced as a reality since I knew that it could be quite nasty to get CP as an adult.

I was in my 40s when I received the CP vaccine, and at the time I asked if this meant that I now had the potential to get shingles which I knew I could NOT get previously having never had CP. They even tested my blood for "titers" (sp) to be sure that I had not had CP without knowing it before they would give me the vaccine!

Long story short, this question stumped everyone - they even called the provincial health officer whose answer was, "uhm, probably not but I don't know for sure". The vaccine was so new that nobody seemed to have considered this potential yet.

More than 10 years have gone by now, and if you don't mind me asking for YOUR opinion, it sounds like I quite likely DON'T run the risk of shingles and the shingles vaccine is not really required? I'd pay $200 in a heartbeat to avoid the possibility of getting a case of that nasty beast! Thanks much!

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We have been trying for years to get authorization from insurance. One person would say they would cover it, then someone else would say we should pay (over $300) upfront and they would reimburse. My experience with my former employer's insurance was that they would just apply it to deductible. This would be OK, then we couldn't get it administered. Something about the vaccine coming in packs of 3 doses and having to be thawed or reconstituted and injected within a half hour. We gave up.

Anyway, this week I called the State Health Dep't and have an appointment next Wednesday to get it. $162 out of pocket. No insurance help. So be it. I know that anyone who has had shingles would happily pay $500 to not have it. I'm 64. DW will be 65 and Medicare eligible next month. She will get the vaccine then and her supplemental will cover it. I just don't want to wait a year until I'm Medicare eligible.

Jim Ricks

Last edited:

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
How ironic. I've skipped this thread in the past, but today my older brother just wrote to the family suggesting we get a shingles vaccine as he just had a bout with it!

He recently took early retirement, then set up a contracting business and was out on his first job, so it sure sounds like stress triggers it. Started off as an itching/stinging in his shoulder area, then 2 days later half of his torso was itching & stinging and he started to develop blisters. Funny thing is, he had a shingles vaccination just one year ago. (All of the siblings in my family have had chicken pox.)

JMO, I'm very skeptical about some of the vaccines out there. I resisted getting a flu shot for years and finally got one two years ago. That year, I had 3 nasty bugs, after having 5 previous years with absolutely no cold or flu. I'm really on the fence with this shingles vaccine and am not 60 yet, so will probably wait.

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I'm not positive of this, but I believe that the shingles shot is a "live vaccine" shot. The reason I say this is that while Jerry was alive, and had leukemia, I was advised not to have the shot (there was a list of "no-no" things).

Fern

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Fern,
Was this because they thought you could spread it to Jerry? I thought Shingles wasn't contagious, but I'm not sure where I got that idea.

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Yes.

Fern

Fern,
Was this because they thought you could spread it to Jerry? I thought Shingles wasn't contagious, but I'm not sure where I got that idea.