• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2010] Shingles Vaccine

nazclk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Shingles

Just getting over a patch myself. I have gotten them once a year for about the last 20 years. Sometimes I get lucky and skip a year. What exactly does the shot do prevent them ? I would gladly pay $200 not to have them.
Seems like the older I get the more painful they become. They always seem to pop out in the same place which is not conducive to my job.

sun starved Gayle

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can I ask how old your husband is? Please start a new thread if ever your husband gets shingles. I hope no side effects.

Thank him for me for participating. I would volunteer for that.

I think he was 52 when the study started. They followed him for 18 months I believe, and the study is over now. There were no side affects. I THINK that the vaccine is not approved by the Feds for persons younger than 60. This study was to test the effectiveness of the vaccine on people 50-60.

The study was conducted through the Kaiser Center for Heath Research in Portland, Oregon. I believe he made a total of four in-person visits, as well as several phone check ups. At the end of each in-person visit, he was given a $25.00 gift card, which he was not expecting. Nice bonus.

Gayle

Chrisky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just getting over a patch myself. I have gotten them once a year for about the last 20 years. Sometimes I get lucky and skip a year. What exactly does the shot do prevent them ? I would gladly pay $200 not to have them.
Seems like the older I get the more painful they become. They always seem to pop out in the same place which is not conducive to my job.

This is the information from the Mayo Clinic site.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/shingles/DS00098/DSECTION=prevention

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you to everyone who answered my question about whether they were over age 60. And, to everyone who thanked me for the information I posted, you are very welcome!

I am taking the Acyclovir twice a day where the valtrex was just once a day, I guess it is not as strong as the Valtrex....
Valtrex is actually a "pro-drug" of acyclovir, meaning that the body converts Valtrex to acyclovir. Valtrex is stronger in the sense that Valtrex pills are better absorbed than acyclovir pills, and the effect of Valtrex also lasts longer, because it takes time to convert it to acyclovir. (The longer effect time of Valtrex is why you didn't have to take it as often as you take acyclovir.) But if you haven't gotten shingles again, then the acyclovir may be strong enough for you.

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am going to have to ask my doctor about this because Shingles is something I am worried about for myself. I had the Chicken Pox as a teen and then had Bells Palsy about 6 years ago. My understanding is that the Chicken Pox, Bells Palsy and Shingles are all part of the Herpes Virus. So does having had Chicken Pox and Bells Palsy mean that I have an increased chance of having Shingles?...
Bell's Palsy isn't well understood. It's believed that the most common cause of Bell's Palsy is Herpes Simplex 1 (the virus that causes cold sores), but that some cases are caused by Varicella-Zoster virus (the herpes virus that causes Chicken Pox and shingles.) However, other infections can cause Bell's Palsy as well. (For anyone who doesn't know, Bell's Palsy is a paralysis of the facial nerve, and is often very painful.)

I don't think having had chicken pox tells you much about your risk of shingles, because before immunization was available, almost everyone in the US caught chicken pox. (Especially since you were a teen when you caught it. People who had chicken pox at a very young age, like in infancy --or worse yet, in the womb-- are at increased risk for shingles, because infants and fetuses have immature immune systems and don't develop the normal level of immunity to Varicella-Zoster virus when they get chicken pox.)

Having had Bell's Palsy might mean you are at increased risk of shingles. If I were you, I'd get the vaccine, even if I had to pay the $200.

Oh, an earlier poster asked me if the refrigeration requirements for the vaccine were why it costs so much. I don't know if that's a factor, but mostly I think the expense is because of the high number of viral particles contained in the vaccine. The viral particles are expensive to grow. There are actually a number of vaccines that cost $200 or more.

Last edited:

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
The idea behind the shot is to stimulate the immune system by exposing it to large quantities of a weakened variety of the virus.

Once a person has contracted Varicella-Zoster virus, the virus lodges in the nerves, where the immune system can't destroy it. (Nerve cells are very delicate, and having the immune system go into the nerve cells to kill the virus would damage the nerves. In fact, one theory says that multiple sclerosis occurs when the immune system tries too hard to destroy Varicella-Zoster virus in the spinal cord, and damages the spinal nerves in the process.)

So, once you have Varicella-Zoster virus, you have it forever. However, in most people, the immune system manages to keep the virus from replicating, even though it can't kill the virus. But as years and then decades pass since the last time a person was exposed to an outside source of Varicella-Zoster virus, then the immune system becomes less vigilant and doesn't try as hard to keep the virus in check. This is one factor that leads to getting shingles.

The idea behind the vaccine is that by exposing the immune system to large number of virus particles, it will start being more vigilant and prevent the virus in the nerves from replicating. The virus in the vaccine is a weakened strain, so it itself shouldn't make anyone sick (unless their immune system isn't working properly.)

However, getting shingles so many times suggests that your immune system isn't capable of keeping the virus under control. Theoretically, one bout of shingles should boost your immunity as least as much as the vaccine does. So, it's not clear whether the vaccine would help you or not, although there's no real reason to think it would make things worse -- if you've already had shingles, then you're already infected with the strong, "wild" version of the virus.

Another approach would be to chronically take an anti-herpes drug, such as Valtrex or aclyclovir.

There are also home remedies that are used by people with a susceptibility to Herpes Simplex 1 (cold sores) or Herpes Simplex 2 (genital herpes.) Generally, things that work against Herpes Simplex 1 & 2 also help (at least a little) against Varicella-Zoster. So, you could try these home remedies as a way to prevent shingles. The best researched home remedies are the amino acid lysine, and zinc (although taking too much zinc can cause nausea and other problems.) There is also some research that says plants in the mint family (including basil, the main ingredient in pesto) may have anti-herpes properties.

You may want to try to find a herpes expert, though, to see if they think your symptoms were really shingles. Bad cases of Herpes Simplex 1 or 2 can resemble shingles, and Herpes Simplex 1 & 2 are much more likely than shingles to cause sores in one person multiple times. Almost everyone has Herpes Simplex 1 (cold sore virus) in their nerves, and some people seem to get outbreaks of it a lot.

Last edited:

suzanne

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I plan to get the shot after reading this post about it. I never knew there was a shot for shingles. My Mother-in-law is just getting over them and it has been very painful for her. She is 85 years young. My insurance will cover the shot. DH would have to pay $80 for the shot under his Medicare Advantage Plan. We spoke with his oncologist on Thursday during his checkup and he can not have the shot. His immune system is compromised since he has Lymphoma cancer and the shot is not recommended for people with compromised immune systems or people who have gone thru Chemo and Radiation treatments. His Doctor says that anyone considering getting the shot needs to ask their Doctor first so he can determine if its OK for them to get it.

Suzanne

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
I really want to get the vaccination. My insurance company told me they would cover the cost if I get it from a PPO as we have satisfied our deductible for the year. But, if I get it from a pharmacy they won't cover it because it is treated as an "outside of network" provider and the deductible for that is more than the cost of the shot.

My primary care doctor, who is a PPO, doesn't give the shots. Bummer! I've got to do lots more calling around to see if I can find a doctor to give it. I'm thinking maybe my doctor could give me a prescription for the shot and then see if insurance would pay the pharmacy that way.

Pat H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brigantine
I really want to get the vaccination. My insurance company told me they would cover the cost if I get it from a PPO as we have satisfied our deductible for the year. But, if I get it from a pharmacy they won't cover it because it is treated as an "outside of network" provider and the deductible for that is more than the cost of the shot.

My primary care doctor, who is a PPO, doesn't give the shots. Bummer! I've got to do lots more calling around to see if I can find a doctor to give it. I'm thinking maybe my doctor could give me a prescription for the shot and then see if insurance would pay the pharmacy that way.

I now have the same problem. I called my Dr. for an appt but they will only give me a prescription to get the shot at the pharmacy. In that case, it's not covered. Do you have Aetna, by chance? I am also going to call around and if I find out anything, I will post here.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Do you have Aetna, by chance? I am also going to call around and if I find out anything, I will post here.

I have Blue Cross/Blue Shield. Please post anything you find out. Thanks.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
finally got the shingles vaccination

I finally got the vaccination. In January I got a different insurance plan because I now have Medicare along with a supplemental plan, a separate dental plan, and a separate prescription drug plan. The vaccination was covered under the prescription drug plan with an $89 co-pay.

Thanks to a tip from Fern, I contacted a nearby Walgreens that gives the shingles vaccination and had them check my new insurance coverage. I get my prescriptions filled at Walgreens so they had the info in their computer. Not all Walgreens store give the vaccination but you can go on their website and find out which ones do. Other pharmacies give it, too.

After getting my vaccination, my husband decided he would like to get one, too. He's covered under the same insurance plan I was on last year (that wouldn't pay for the shot then). He called Walgreens and had them check his coverage, and much to our surprise, it was covered with NO deductible! I don't know if I just got some bad information last year or if they have changed their policy, but we're both happy we've gotten the shots.

At any rate, if you are interested in getting the shot, check under your prescription drug coverage. The retail price was $211, so getting it for $89 was fine--getting it for no co-pay was even better!

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Pat,
See if your insurance covers visits to the "Quick Care" or "Convenience Care" Clinics (that's what my insurance calls them) at Walgreens. If it does, then you can go to one of those clinics to get your shingles shot (bring a book), although you should check their website (Walgreens) to make sure that clinic gives the shot. If they do, you will only have to pay what you would pay at your doctor's office as a vaccination copay. In my case it was $0.00.

Fern

I now have the same problem. I called my Dr. for an appt but they will only give me a prescription to get the shot at the pharmacy. In that case, it's not covered. Do you have Aetna, by chance? I am also going to call around and if I find out anything, I will post here.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pat,
See if your insurance covers visits to the "Quick Care" or "Convenience Care" Clinics (that's what my insurance calls them) at Walgreens.
In my case, it was just a regular Walgreen's, not one with the Quick Care & a nurse. The pharmacist herself gave me the shot right at the window where you drop off prescriptions, and there was no waiting as I was the only customer there at the time.

It seemed like approaching it through the prescription drug coverage part of the insurance was the key. I didn't have to involve my doctor or get a prescription at all. Walgreens handled all the calls with the insurance co. to get the okay. Same scenario with my husband.

At the Walgreens website where you can search for locations, there's an option of searching for stores that give the shingles shot.

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
My particular response above was to Pat H. and anybody else who is required to get the shingles shot under their medical coverage, not prescription coverage, but had a doctor who could not or would not provide the shot. In that case the insurance won't cover a pharmacist giving the shot. That's only good if the shot is covered under prescription coverage. Many insurance plans other than Medicare consider the shingles shot to be a vaccination (which, of course it is) and thus only covered by medical coverage.

Fern

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Karen,
Next time you go see Dr. V., make sure you tell her you got the shot so she can add it to your chart.

Fern

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My particular response above was to Pat H. and anybody else who is required to get the shingles shot under their medical coverage, not prescription coverage, but had a doctor who could not or would not provide the shot. In that case the insurance won't cover a pharmacist giving the shot.

My point was to start with the prescription drug coverage because Blue Cross/Blue Shield told me in July that it would not be covered under the medical coverage part that I had at that time. I was on my husband's policy then. However, they did cover my husband 100% this month on the same policy under the prescription drug part of the coverage.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Has anyone else heard that you need a booster after 5 years?
I had not heard that. According to this info I just found, the shingles shot itself is considered a booster shot to the chickenpox vaccine.

"Some health experts estimate that up to 1,000,000 Americans develop the disease annually. The FDA approved the first vaccine against the disease, Zostavax, in 2006. The vaccine is a booster shot of the chickenpox vaccine given to children, and is approved for use in patients over the age of 60 who have had chickenpox. It is effective in both reducing shingles symptoms and the incidence of postherpetic neuralgia."

JudyH

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just saw in our Federal Blue Cross health plan that the shingles shot is free to planholders at a participating pharmacy. I need to check this out more.

Pat H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brigantine
In my case, it was just a regular Walgreen's, not one with the Quick Care & a nurse. The pharmacist herself gave me the shot right at the window where you drop off prescriptions, and there was no waiting as I was the only customer there at the time.

It seemed like approaching it through the prescription drug coverage part of the insurance was the key. I didn't have to involve my doctor or get a prescription at all. Walgreens handled all the calls with the insurance co. to get the okay. Same scenario with my husband.

At the Walgreens website where you can search for locations, there's an option of searching for stores that give the shingles shot.

Thanks, Fern, I will check that out.

Pat H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brigantine
I finally got around to checking out if the shot was covered as a prescription. Made an online appointment at Walgreen's and it was so easy. Shot cost me $47 under my prescription plan. Thanks for all the advice.

glypnirsgirl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
At what age should a person get the shingles shot?

elaine

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I am 56, and my doc said I needed to get the vaccine. I wasn't charged extra because I pay when I arrive. So the vaccine was just part of the office visit. We have Kaiser.

I had a bout with shingles a few years ago, maybe 5 or 6? Rick was surprised when the doctor saw it on my chart and commented about how I had it once and could get it again.

Anyway, it's funny that Rick doesn't remember my shingles episode, because even my stepdad remembers. It was minor, but still, I got shingles! It hurts deed inside your tissue, and then there is a rash that kind of trails along the skin. Mine was on my shoulder, going down toward my spine.