• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2009] Lodges Timeshare at Horseshoe

continia

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just recieved a minutes of settlement from a class action lawsuit from 1996 Diane Williams/Horseshoe Resort Corp. that i was totally unaware of. I have read through the settlement am really not sure was has been gain. Although I know what has been lost as it seems my maintenance fees have increased by $ 203. per week and I have also been charged a $60 legal fee on each of my weeks. Not only that the fees are retroactive to fees already paid for last year.

If any other Horseshoe Owners(Lodges) or other owners familiar with the lawsuit and or can share with me my options it would be appreciated.

Thanks Tony

Maple_Leaf

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Dunes
Hapimag
Big Changes at Horseshoe

Just recieved a minutes of settlement from a class action lawsuit from 1996 Diane Williams/Horseshoe Resort Corp. that i was totally unaware of. I have read through the settlement am really not sure was has been gain. Although I know what has been lost as it seems my maintenance fees have increased by $ 203. per week and I have also been charged a $60 legal fee on each of my weeks. Not only that the fees are retroactive to fees already paid for last year.

If any other Horseshoe Owners(Lodges) or other owners familiar with the lawsuit and or can share with me my options it would be appreciated.

Thanks Tony

Based on what I read you have the following options:

1. Pay your 2010 maintenance fee
2. Default on your 2010 maintenance fee and let Skyline take possession of your interval
3. Sell your interval on TUG or Ebay

I suggest options 1 or 3 depending on whether you want to spend time at Horseshoe going forward.

Ironwood

TUG Member
Reaction score
Drove by yesterday, and the couple of holes roadside look ready to go. Most Barrie area courses have opened in the past week with the early spring.

Maple_Leaf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Dunes
Hapimag
Horseshoe Valley Information Meeting

Did anyone attend the March 9 information meeting about the proposed development of Horseshoe Valley?

Ironwood

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am interested in hearing about the Horseshoe Valley development plans as well. We were away on a ski week exchange at Intrawest Tremblant that week and missed the information session.

Maple_Leaf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Dunes
Hapimag

Ironwood

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks MapleLeaf...I had hadn't been on the Lodges site in quite some time. No visible signs of any development activity yet, but thats just driving by on Horsehoe Valley Road. Now that the local courses are opening for the season, I plan to hit a bucket of balls at Highlands this Sunday, and I'll drive around the resort to see if there is anything actively going on.

Maple_Leaf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Dunes
Hapimag
Thanks MapleLeaf...I had hadn't been on the Lodges site in quite some time. No visible signs of any development activity yet, but thats just driving by on Horsehoe Valley Road. Now that the local courses are opening for the season, I plan to hit a bucket of balls at Highlands this Sunday, and I'll drive around the resort to see if there is anything actively going on.

Skyline is planning to demolish the ski lodge and replace it. I would think they would do that over the summer so it's ready for ski season. Also they are supposed to be refurbishing the exterior of the Lodges timeshare. It would be nice if they had that done before our week 29 stay there.

Maple_Leaf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Dunes
Hapimag
Horseshoe Adventure Park

I read here that Horseshoe Resort is planning on having an adventure park up and running by July 1, including:
  • A 1 km zip line
  • Summer tubing
  • Climbing wall
  • Mini-golf
  • Zorbing
  • Mountain biking
  • Rollerblading
My kids are already jumping out of their skins at the prospect of doing these things this summer at Horseshoe, especially the zorbing.

Ironwood

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Maple Leaf for posting the link again. The Georgian Valley clip promoting activities at the resort features two tennis courts, which are now gone...having been converted to a skate park earlier this summer. The local township is finishing construction of two community courts in the recreation park at the entrance to line 4 leading into the top of the resort. I will be on the executive of the new community summer club which is just being formulated but will not be in operation until next spring. We intend to have discussion next year with the three timeshare groups sharing the resort complex to make play time available.

Maple_Leaf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Dunes
Hapimag
Tennis and Golf at Horseshoe

Ironwood, thanks for the information. Congratulations on your position with the community summer club. I am looking forward to using the new tennis courts you mentioned.

Have you been taking advantage of the cheap fall golf? I understand you can get 18 holes and a cart for $29 and a voucher to return after October 15 for another free 18 holes. Since you live in the Valley you probably have the VIP card for another 20% off, making it an even better deal. It sounds like a good way to get in a bunch of rounds before the snow flies.

Ironwood

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maple Leaf...I haven't played much golf this summer, but hope to get in one last round before we head away for a week at the end of the month...I do get out on the courts 2/3 times a week. There are some good late season discounts on the local links. The new VIP card this summer, has reduced the discounts to 20% on green fees and lift tickets, and 10% off pro shop goods. There are big plans for the redevelopment of the resort complex as you know, although things are proceeding slowly, likely as a result of the Ontario economy, which continues to sputter.

Maple_Leaf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Dunes
Hapimag
Other Activities at Horseshoe

Maple Leaf...I haven't played much golf this summer, but hope to get in one last round before we head away for a week at the end of the month...I do get out on the courts 2/3 times a week. There are some good late season discounts on the local links. The new VIP card this summer, has reduced the discounts to 20% on green fees and lift tickets, and 10% off pro shop goods. There are big plans for the redevelopment of the resort complex as you know, although things are proceeding slowly, likely as a result of the Ontario economy, which continues to sputter.

Our family was up at Horseshoe in the summer. Other than golf and swimming, here are some of the things we liked:

Mountain Biking: http://www.horseshoeresort.com/site/adventure-park/downhill-mountain-biking.html

Skateboarding: http://www.horseshoeresort.com/site/adventure-park/skate-park.html

The zorbing and zip flyer are fun to do a couple of times but are more gimmicks than activities you can spend a lot of time doing. However, the skate park and the mountain bike trails are high quality attractions.

TrueNorth

Reaction score
2011 Lodges Maintenance Fee increase by more than 50%

I am a timeshare unit holder at Horseshoe resort. I am sure many of you may have recently received your 2011 maintenance invoice indicating a jump of well over 50% of the previous year's fees along with a beautifully worded letter to unit owners telling them why it is justified.

In the end, the Timeshare Committee advises us that should we choose not to pay we will forfeit our units.

Well how's that for a how do you do?

Please believe me that I understand the predicament we are all in however I worry that once we AGREE going forward to these increased costs that we will surely be required to continue to foot the bill for refurbishment and increased maintenance despite the potential of future sales.

How do you feel? The problem of course is that we don't know each other and that's where the Timeshare Committee has it on us as it will be difficult for us to group together to question. I am interested in what the long term looks like for us timeshare owners. Are we stuck forever at this increased rate even if more units start to sell as the Committee asserts? We are being asked to make up the shortfall but there is no indication of what the distribution will look like once more units fill up.

Your thoughts?

JP.

Maple_Leaf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Dunes
Hapimag
Five Years of Renovations

I am a timeshare unit holder at Horseshoe resort. I am sure many of you may have recently received your 2011 maintenance invoice indicating a jump of well over 50% of the previous year's fees along with a beautifully worded letter to unit owners telling them why it is justified.

In the end, the Timeshare Committee advises us that should we choose not to pay we will forfeit our units.

Well how's that for a how do you do?

Please believe me that I understand the predicament we are all in however I worry that once we AGREE going forward to these increased costs that we will surely be required to continue to foot the bill for refurbishment and increased maintenance despite the potential of future sales.

How do you feel? The problem of course is that we don't know each other and that's where the Timeshare Committee has it on us as it will be difficult for us to group together to question. I am interested in what the long term looks like for us timeshare owners. Are we stuck forever at this increased rate even if more units start to sell as the Committee asserts? We are being asked to make up the shortfall but there is no indication of what the distribution will look like once more units fill up.

Your thoughts?

JP.

Based on the letter you refer to, I understand Skyline has proposed a five year renovation plan (2011 - 2015?) to refurbish the place stem to stern. However, to my knowledge they have only revealed the plan for 2011. I'd sure like to see the whole five year plan. We need a roadmap for how the future is going to look, not just a snapshot of next year then open your wallets. Decisions made by a handful of timeshare committee members in a smoke-filled room won't go down well without good communication. I know some owners want to run a timeshare on $400 a year and they should go bye-bye. However, that doesn't excuse governing the timeshare under the cone of silence.

By the way, there is an interesting discussion going on here:

http://lodgesathorseshoe.blogspot.com/

Maple_Leaf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Dunes
Hapimag
Put Your Week on the TUG Marketplace

I would love to be able to forfeit my unit...no such luck. Can't sell it or even give it away.

If your week is a summer week, March Break or Week 52 I suggest paying the 2011 maintenance fee (ouch!) then put it for sale on the TUG Marketplace. It will likely sell. If it is a ski week you can give it a try. You may get lucky. If it is a mud week, well... good luck.

chicklet

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is not one of the great weeks so i see it being very hard to sell since there are lots out there. It got us some great weeks throughout the years but we don't need the timeshare.

TrueNorth

Reaction score
Newly added Facebook Group: The Lodges Horseshoe Resort Timeshare Owners

Based on the letter you refer to, I understand Skyline has proposed a five year renovation plan (2011 - 2015?) to refurbish the place stem to stern. However, to my knowledge they have only revealed the plan for 2011. I'd sure like to see the whole five year plan. We need a roadmap for how the future is going to look, not just a snapshot of next year then open your wallets. Decisions made by a handful of timeshare committee members in a smoke-filled room won't go down well without good communication. I know some owners want to run a timeshare on $400 a year and they should go bye-bye. However, that doesn't excuse governing the timeshare under the cone of silence.

By the way, there is an interesting discussion going on here:

http://lodgesathorseshoe.blogspot.com/

Thank you very much Maple Leaf for the information. The link to the blog is great and provides alot of history, positive information etc.

In an effort to reach a larger audience and to get know each other, in addition to this User Forum, I have added a group now on Facebook where more owners might have an opportunity to get to know each other. The links to this forum as well as "Mister Ed's" blog were added.

The Group name on FACEBOOK for anyone who wants to join is:

The Lodges Horseshoe Resort Timeshare Owners

The privacy settings are open currently however will be adjusted as more individuals join.

TrueNorth.

Ironwood

TUG Member
Reaction score
As a Carriage Hills owner, I'm going over to the Horseshoe complex tomorrow to pick up my gold card. Do you want me to throw eggs at the Lodges building?