• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2009] Do I Have to Convert - Just Because They Told Me So?

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
And Not Only That . . .

I just discovered this site, and it seems to be really useful.
. . . it's also lots of fun.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
When a resort says it "RCI Points", it means that the resort has switched to points, but many if not most of the owners there may not have switched to points. Therefore when they deposit a week it will be in the week inventory not the points inventory.

So, IMHO, for a long time you'll continue to see lots of resorts in the weeks inventory.

There are also resorts like 7 or 8 in Australia that got a bellyfull of RCI Points and switched back to Weeks. They are shown by RCI as Points resorts because some owners are still grandfathered in with points, although the resort will not convert anyone else.

Ironwood

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have been time sharing for 22 years and currently own two deeded 'weeks'. We have resisted 2/3 pitches over the past couple of years for a whole host of reasons to convert to points at our resort. Our resort is very close to home and we have only stayed there once in the 10 years we have owned there. We trade through RCI with increasing frustration. I have gained enough knowledge of the good, bad and ugly of timesharing over the years to know how little I really know and that nothing I read here will ever really suprise me! There is another horrible story every day! Is there a thread on this site dedicated to declining 'weeks' owners or are we now the poor cousins that will one day get squeezed out! I haven't seen one. Carolinian and AwayWeGo...your insight and advice in this thread and others has been very helpful.

Stricky

TUG Member
Reaction score
My prediction (which I am sure is not original) is that slowly for another year or two people that have 2 or 3 bedroom in better resorts will convert because they will get larger point values. One bed room in the off season will not covert because it will not be worth the $3000 or so to convert. Eventually as weeks inventory fills up with one bedroom off season and points has more 2 and 3 bedroom during prime weeks people will be 'forced' to convert or more likely they will sell and buy something in points already. I am thinking at some point all that will be left is junk in weeks. (or i could be completely wrong)

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I have to assume that we would also be in a better position if the company goes into bankruptcy, since we will have an ownership interest in real property.

I believe that this is a significant difference. Another significant difference is what happens if you have financial difficulty and fall behind in your payments. As deeded property, you could lose your ownership only through foreclosure.

With a trust membership, your loss of ownership depends solely on the bylaws of the Trust. There are stories of some Trust owners who have fallen six months in arrears, and suddenly find they are no longer trust owners.

Tamzeng

Reaction score
Just throwing in my 2 cents to this conversation,

You do not have to convert. We have sat through a few pressure events and they claim

You will never get a week
A points person can pick the Wed in the week you want and it closes off the entire week

or
You will be the last person standing in Weeks-land in RCI, everyone is converting

OR
There will be no more deeded Time Share sales (we were told this 5 years ago)
Went to the same resort this year and they tried to sell us a deeded week....

They will tell you whatever they want in order to get you to buy.

If you think about it,

Of all the 1,000's of timeshare users out there, how many are like you? They can't afford to switch. I see those big price tags and choke. I'm sure i'm not the only one......

We have recently bought points in Florida, resale, and I am going to learn that process now.

Anyway, as others have said, you do not ever have to switch. Keep your week and live like many of us do!!

Last edited:

Tamzeng

Reaction score
addendum

I should add

It cost us $250. to join RCI points, when we bought our resale. That's right RCI charges $250. Not 3,000......

Interesting, isn't it????

kohokid

Reaction score
Hi
:mad: After owner since 1977 I would love points but to pay more:cheer: ???!!!
plus RCi rents weeks less than my cheap yearly payment ??!!!
need to sell my shanwee to buy 1 wk in Swiss!!!
as the trade does not work living overseas!!!!

service they get a trade that I DO NOT WANT, then do not cancel:mad:

BR
BC:)

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
I should add

It cost us $250. to join RCI points, when we bought our resale. That's right RCI charges $250. Not 3,000......

Interesting, isn't it????

I contacted RCI asking about converting our deeded week into points and the person on the line told me I had to contact my home resort to convert our week into points.

Am I missing something here?

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
The price can be too high to be a value

I contacted RCI asking about converting our deeded week into points and the person on the line told me I had to contact my home resort to convert our week into points.

Am I missing something here?

RCI does not enroll resorts / weeks directly but works through the resort. They actually charge only $199 but leave the final cost to the owner in the hands of the resort.

Unfortunately far too many resorts that sign up for RCI Points think it's chance to make a killing and charge $3000 or more to join! For a system that costs them $199. If your resort goes that route then I'd say "thanks, no thanks" to the offer to join. If they are reasonable - say $500 - $1000 to maybe $1500 on the really high end - then getting points through them rather than dealing with yet another resort/annual fee (the option) may be a good move. You can get into RCI Points for around $1000 easily so if your existing ownership allows you to join in that range it can be the way to go. If they insist on $2500-$3000+ then I'd look to other options. Just remember once your resort affiliates with RCI Points that week can no longer be used for PFD (Points for Deposit). To use that resort in points you'd have to pay the affiliation fee.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

d2r4s

Reaction score
Points conversion; whats the question.

It is a subject debate about whether it is good or bad. It will cost, nothing is free and when the game is changing someone whats to get paid. So from the developer stand point it is always a win_win.

For us on the other side of the table we have to way the value based on what we have vs what we will have and will it make a difference in the way we use our time share. I have made the point conversion twice and felt there was enough gain to make it worth while. One main thing in both instance is that I did not give up my old way of doing thing for a new way to go. With each conversion I am grandfathered on my weeks and how I use them on a year by year basis, and now have the option of electing each year points in the new system.

The inhancement is that I get more flexibility with my points for use with nightly stays, yes at a slight increase in cost. I have a great number of choices in the properties I can directly exchange for with in the point system. If I elect to trade through II and use my points diligently I can actually gain some degree of great use of the ponts, size of units and location of the units in the sytem.

It all comes down to does it work. In time the disadvantage is going to be based on the number of people in the the points system vs those who don't convert.

The big question is to really understand what you are getting and giving up whne confronted by pressure cooker sales. Take time and study, get information before you do a meeting so that you are prepared.:whoopie: