• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2008] Timeshare sale through MGM Universal Timeshare

Reaction score
Sorry I bothered to post here

Ok, I get it now. I thought this was a real discussion board, but it's just a forum for timeshare resellers to argue.

*admin edit...apparently you lack the ability to read the posting guidelines

Last edited by a moderator:

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
The best reference on any company or service is always your state Attorney General Consumer Protection division, as well as the Better Business Bureau.
If you had any remaining credibility remaining you just trashed it with that statement. Anyone who has had any experience with BBB knows BBB ratings are worthless. In fact, the companies that tout BBB and similar organizations as primary references are often companies who are simply using BBB to prop up their credibility.

The best reference on any company or service is always established experiences of satisfied customers. Established reputable companies do not try to trick people into believing they are associated with other, more well known and reputable companies by doing things such as using similar names and mimicking graphics and logos. Nor do they go around spouting such nonsense as The best reference on any company or service is always your state Attorney General Consumer Protection division, as well as the Better Business Bureau."" Nor do reputable companies rely on shill postings to try create a veneer of respectability that they can't obtain through their business practices. Only shady outfits behave so.

I will grant that there is a possibility you are not a shill for MGM. Similarly I will grant that here in Seattle there is a possibility that we will have no rain and cloudless skies for the next 30 days. If I were laying odds I would give greater odds for no rain in Seattle over the next 30 days than I would for you not being a shill.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
It is a little bizarre that a group of supposed timeshare owners are posting all over the place about Timeshare sellers/resellers. I suspect these posts aren't from owners but are all from resort and resellers PR departments.
I thought this was a real discussion board, but it's just a forum for timeshare resellers to argue.

Well, I'm hurt!
Those who post here do so out of a genuine interest to enhance our own and others TS'ing experience. We're not here to make money, but we also do not intend to let scam-artists and other assorted pond-scum rip folks off, either.

You may be legit, a shill, or a paranoid schizophrenic with imaginary friends and enemies, it really makes no difference to me. If you'd like to contribute something useful... other than hawking your own personal interests and making disparaging remarks about folks of whom you know nothing... you're welcome to stick around and learn something about how to do that.

Last edited:

gmarine

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I didn't pay anywhere near what these resellers are saying I paid. Check with your Better Business Bureau on any company.

The best reference on any company or service is always your state Attorney General Consumer Protection division, as well as the Better Business Bureau.

Lets pretend you are not a shill. Enlighten us, what did you pay and what did you sell your resort for?

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Ok, I get it now. I thought this was a real discussion board, but it's just a forum for timeshare resellers to argue.

This comment is for anyone who might have wandered into this thread because they are looking for information about MGM and this thread showed up as a link in a search engine.

If you've read this far in this thread, you should realize that many of us who are regulars here believe this entire thread was started and perpetuated by posters shilling for MGM. The patterns shown in this thread have occurred repeatedly here.

If you still are inclined to think otherwise, consider the statement above. Spend some time in some of the other areas of this board where many of us post, and decide for yourself whether those of us who are regularly involved here are just timeshare sellers. Go to the TUG advice area and look at the information there and ask yourself if we seem like we are just a bunch of timeshare resellers. Click on the link to my Timesharing 101 and assess whether something such as that would be prepared by someone who is just a reseller who likes to argue.

Having looked at all of that information, I think you will easily come to the conclusion that Lauren Christiane is not really very informed and rather than rebutting has simply opted to back out with a pretty ludicrous characterization of us.

If, after considering that, you believe that MGM is a reputable and ethical company that has found the "secret sauce'' for reselling timeshares that has somehow eluded scores of other companies, ... well you are certainly free to have that opinion and give them your money.

For most of us who have been here at TUG for awhile (my involvement in timesharing and at TUG dates back to 1999), the pattern shown in this thread are ones that we have seen repeated many times over the years. If a company has discovered some secret sauce we would be all over it; it's no secret that there are many people here who buy and sell timeshares as a hobby. (For the record, I do not buy and resell as a hobby; I don't enjoy the buying and selling game and there isn't enough money to be made to make it worthwhile to do something I don't enjoy very much.) If there were a company out there that could resell timeshares for twice the prices TUGgers are able to sell them for ourselves, TUGgers would gladly give that company our business, even paying an upfront fee if they delivered the goods.

But we know that's not the case. The companies that charge hundreds (or even thousands) of dollars to advertise your timeshare simply do not deliver what they promise except in rare cases. When people come here looking for information about those companies we try to share with those people what we know. And when shills for those companies come here and try to concoct a thread lauding their company, we call them out on it.

We are simply a community of timeshare owners who like to share information on the subject. Our primary purpose is education - to help those who own timeshares to get the most value from their ownership and to help those for whom timesharing does not make sense to get out as painlessly as they can.

That's all we are. Read, research, and decide for yourself whom you believe to be most credible.

Last edited:

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well and eloquently stated, Steve.
For a troglodyte, you're a very articulate guy... ;-)

calgarygary

TUG Member
Reaction score
If I do business with MGM Universal again, I'd like to know if you veterans are really timeshare owners and if your claims are valid.

I checked out TimeshareMLS and Timeshares ONLY and something called Seabreeze Advertising. They all had LOTS of complaints. We just opted for MGM Universal because they didn't have any Better Business Bureau complaints.

It is a little bizarre that a group of supposed timeshare owners are posting all over the place about Timeshare sellers/resellers. I suspect these posts aren't from owners but are all from resort and resellers PR departments.

All I can say is that we did have a good experience with MGM Universal.

Now I'm hurt...how will I ever be able to post again now that I have been outed as a shill for a pr department??

As I said before...Lauren/Brian or whoever you are...just explain a couple of inconsistencies. How did Brian locate a BBB rating for this company with a different BBB address and phone number from their own website and why is the BBB rating based on an address of residential apartments. If you are going to shill for a scam artist at least make it challenging for us to out you.

Alan, I respectfully disagree about letting them assume that they put one over on us. Many newbies are visiting tug every day (hopefully) to get an education about the ts they have purchased or in a perfect world, the ts they are about to purchase. Our outing the scam artists helps protect the innocent while providing a little entertainment for the seasoned.

spatenfloot

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here, I will make it easy for the newbies.

This company has nothing to do with either MGM OR Universal and is probably a scam.

1Goal

Reaction score
More info on MGM Univ TS

I, too, was contacted by MGM Universal to see if I was interested in selling my TS. My OL search turned up TUG, thank God! Some of the comments I've read here are identical to what I heard. I'd like to share more of their pitch. After agreeing that I had an interest in selling/renting, I was transferred to a "Supervisor". Incidentally, she told me she would send an email with more info. It arrived immediately with a BBB link to their stated "B" rating and web site, but it was from yet another person.

Once I gave my TS location and details, after a market comparison, they assured me they "could sell it for recent sales amounts of $29,000 price negotiable or as low as $25,000 or rent it for $2800/wk." (A similar unit is for sale on their site for $26K.) I was offered a $600 discount off the $1599 fee for this service. The Rep said they sold out their inventory of my facility and needed more for a new presentation they would be making later today. Tempting offer and almost convincing.

Additional answers given when I inquired further: The Rep assured me that MGM and Universal is their parent company and that they have been in business for 40 years doing resale only. The sales process was to be the same as when I originally purchased the unit...free tickets to lure prospects (victims?)...despite the fact that they are located in Calif. and my TS is in Florida. I was also informed that MGM Univ. would retrieve any fees I may have paid to other companies to sell my TS and that the law requires the other firms to forfeit the fees.

I hope this helps alert others to MGM Univ. tactics. If they are legit they need to stop acting like the other scam artists in this industry. Thanks TUG.

TSResalez

Reaction score
Hello,

I recently received a call from MGM Universal Timeshare http://www.mgmuniversaltimeshare.com offering to sell or rent my timeshare. The timeshare is in Hawaii and I purchased it during construction almost 3 yrs ago. MGM states that I should be able to get almost twice what I had paid for it. After reading on the TUB boards I was expecting to be offered about half of what I paid as I did not purchase resale.

MGM requires a flat fee of around $1,800.00 to sell my timeshare - no other fees or closing costs. They state that they will sell it in a similar manner to the way in which I purchased it and that they pre-qualify their buyers. They say there sales technique is different from most other companies that just list the timeshare in an ad. They have a 90 day guarantee, quoted below.

From the FAQ on their site:
"Our advertising agents will do a comparative market analysis to price your property for sale or rent. Keep in mind MGM UNIVERSAL TIMESHARE does not take on any properties that we do not believe will sell within the next 90 days. If for some reason your timeshare doesn't sell within the 90 days, MGM UNIVERSAL TIMESHARE will continue your advertisement at the company's expense. We know what it takes. With over 50 years experience, and offices worldwide to assisted individual owners in selling their timeshare properties. Our timeshare sales have closed with buyers and sellers from all 50 states and 85 countries at over 1,250 resorts located in 47 states and 29 countries. Thousands of resort properties have already sold! We attract buyers worldwide through extensive advertising and marketing efforts."

They have a "B" rating on the LA Better Business Bureau site: http://www.la.bbb.org/BusinessReport.aspx?CompanyID=13102950 and appear to be a legitimate operation. Can someone please provide some insight into this? Are they legitimate? Does this sound reasonable? What can I do to be sure I don't get scammed by this company? Has anyone here ever done business with this company?

Also, over the past couple of months I have been receiving a lot of phone calls from companies interested in having me sell my timeshare. Is this normal?

Thanks!
Brian

Sounds very bogus. 1st off, timeshares don't get reviewed like residential property so a CMA is useless. #2, don't ever pay for anything upfront unless your listing an ad in a paper or such. the transaction should only be charged a fee/commission at the time of closing.

Was this an in-house MGM broker?

oneTSowner

Reaction score
Thank you TUG BBS

Thank you for this information. I was contacted this morning (3/21/09) by the same company (by phone). I asked they send me an email with the details. Below is that email for future reference to other people that are being approached by M.G.M UNIVERSAL TIMESHARE. I also believe this to be a scam.

---------------------------- Original Message ----------------------------
Subject: *M.G.M UNIVERSAL TIMESHARE - INFORMATIONAL PACKAGE!*
From: "customer service" <customerservice@mgmuniversaltimeshare.com>
Date: Sat, March 21, 2009 9:46 am
To: RemovedMyEmail
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

cid:image002.png@01C96F67.67C8FE70untitled

RemovedMyName:

Thank you for requesting information about M.G.M. Universal Timeshare
service for timeshare properties.

Our website is <http://www.mgmuniversaltimeshare.com/>
http://www.mgmuniversaltimeshare.com/

And please see our Better Business Bureau License # 13102950 report at
<http://www.la.bbb.org/BusinessReport.aspx?CompanyID=13102950>
http://www.la.bbb.org/BusinessReport.aspx?CompanyID=13102950

According to our sale/rental averages at Starwood Resorts; Timeshares with
similar accommodations to your Standard (2) Bedroom (2) Bathroom unit, the
Suggested listing price for the sale is $24,000 to $29,000 (Neg.) and for
the rental will be $2,800(V.I.P RENTAL). We currently have one interested
family. Our showcase representative will call you with every offer for your
consideration.

The fee for our marketing program is a lifetime fee of $1,598 for the
sale/rental of all your properties. Due to the high demand of your property
you will receive a discount which lowers the price to $1,098!!! No
commission will be taken from the proceeds of your sale... Average DOM* for
units of this type is 45 to 65 days, but we ask for 90 days to complete the
sale and deed transfer for your property.

NO Commissions!

Because we are a for-sale-by-owner company, we do not charge commissions
whatsoever when the property is sold. The seller is guaranteed to receive
the full amount of the sale! For the buyer, no commission means money saved!

Of course the buyer does not want to overpay for a vacation and the seller
does not want to be undersold. Differences in the price range from one
resort to the next are determined by many variables, such as location,
amenities, exchange season, and unit size. The buyer knows what the resort
is selling. The seller(s) knows what they paid. We follow the golden rule of
the resale market: Beat the resort's price!

NO Closing Costs!

In timeshare re-sales the closing costs are paid by the buyer. So when
selling your timeshare on the resale market, there's no need to be concerned
about any closing expenses.

NO Hidden Costs!

With commissions, appraisals, and closing costs ruled out, the only
out-of-pocket expense for the seller is the one time advertising and
marketing fee. We guarantee it! Our goal is to have a property sold within
90 days. If that does not occur for whatever reason, your contract
automatically renews and we continue to actively market your property
entirely at OUR expense. There are NO additional fees collected from the
seller. We will market your property for as long as it takes to find just
the right buyer.

Our Money Back Guarantee!

Here at M.G.M. Universal Timeshare it is our pledge that if you or any other
company sells your timeshare before we do, M.G.M. Universal Timeshare will
refund 200% of your advertising fee

If you have any questions or need further assistance, please contact me and
I'll be more than happy to help.

Thank You,

Raymond Guzman

(800) 923-1958 Ext: 1654

Sales Department, M.G.M. Universal Timeshare

<http://www.la.bbb.org/BusinessReport.aspx?CompanyID=13102950>
http://www.mgmuniversaltimeshare.com/images/aff_bbb.gif
<http://www.arda.org/AM/Template.cfm?Section=Timeshare_Datashare>
http://www.mgmuniversaltimeshare.com/images/aff_arda.gif
<http://www.intervalworld.com/web/cs?a=5>
http://www.mgmuniversaltimeshare.com/images/aff_interval.gif
<http://www.rci.com/RCI/>
http://www.mgmuniversaltimeshare.com/images/aff_rci.gif

calgarygary

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here at M.G.M. Universal Timeshare it is our pledge that if you or any other company sells your timeshare before we do, M.G.M. Universal Timeshare will refund 200% of your advertising fee
With such an unrealistic selling price for Starwood, why not refund 1000% or 10000% - you will never have to pay as no one can sell at those list prices. I'll make M.G.M. U.T. a deal, this is a great deal. Take my timeshare, give me $7K, according to the claim of your email, you can easily sell it for over $20k. See just like that you have tripled your money. PM me for details but please know, I will not be holding my breath waiting for your response.

k4lm

Reaction score
They Called Me Too

Thank you for the information here and on the rest of TUG. I just got off the phone with them and I got the same sales pitch. They said it was illegal to take there marketing fee out of the sale. So I said I'll sell it to you for $15K and you can sell it for $33K and keep the profit.

The whole thing sounded fishy. They even said I would get my money back in 90 days if my timeshare did not sell??? This is just another scam to get your money!!!

These people always come out when the economy has a down turn.

jolicom

Reaction score
Be VERY Careful

They told me they had mine sold - just had to forward them the 1396.00 that they needed for marketing, that it would be returned to me upon sale. That was a month ago - they do not answer the phone, and they do not call back. The one time they did answer, it was a girl who appeared to be running photocopies - she walked around with the phone on for about 5 minutes, and then hung up. I called back and there was no answer (SURPRISE) I cancelled the card transaction and got my money back.... and kicked myself for being duped.

The more I thought about it, why do they need money from me up front? Why not take it from the sale of the property?

It always amazes me too at how attentive these companies are to you, calling you 6x a day, etc until they have your money - then it is just crickets chirping.

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
They Absorb Those Up-Front Fees In Good Times & Bad.

These people always come out when the economy has a down turn.
Also during boom times.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

calgarygary

TUG Member
Reaction score
They told me they had mine sold - just had to forward them the 1396.00 that they needed for marketing, that it would be returned to me upon sale. That was a month ago - they do not answer the phone, and they do not call back. The one time they did answer, it was a girl who appeared to be running photocopies - she walked around with the phone on for about 5 minutes, and then hung up. I called back and there was no answer (SURPRISE) I cancelled the card transaction and got my money back.... and kicked myself for being duped.

The more I thought about it, why do they need money from me up front? Why not take it from the sale of the property?

It always amazes me too at how attentive these companies are to you, calling you 6x a day, etc until they have your money - then it is just crickets chirping.

As this thread has returned I do want to mention that oddly enough,;) I have never received a phone call, email, post card, etc. regarding my more than generous offer listed above. When they know they have an educated consumer, there will be 0 communication as they don't want to waste their time. Glad you got your money back.

dznymom

Reaction score
This comment is for anyone who might have wandered into this thread because they are looking for information about MGM and this thread showed up as a link in a search engine.

If you've read this far in this thread, you should realize that many of us who are regulars here believe this entire thread was started and perpetuated by posters shilling for MGM. The patterns shown in this thread have occurred repeatedly here...

Read, research, and decide for yourself whom you believe to be most credible.

I would like to add my thanks to the regulars who posted on this thread, and it did pop right up when I did a search :whoopie: While I was on the phone with my 76 yo mother this afternoon she took a call from this company, and in the blink of an eye they convinced her that they would sell her timeshare for $29,000 as they have buyers waiting. Only problem is, the most her contract is worth is $13,000. I am so glad she called me right back, as they were well on the way to suckering her.

Folks, if it sounds too good to be true, it is!!

Chris in NH

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
High-End Fancypants Timeshare.

Only problem is, the most her contract is worth is $13,000.
Shux, if her timeshare is worth that much on the secondary market, it must be some kind of super-primo high-end deluxe top-notch timeshare.

Most timeshares are worth lots less.

dznymom

Reaction score
Shux, if her timeshare is worth that much on the secondary market, it must be some kind of super-primo high-end deluxe top-notch timeshare.

Well, if DVC is considered super-primo high-end deluxe top-notch timeshare, then yes. We were lucky enough to buy when Disney first offered it :clap: and have done well, but since it is not deeded, soon the tide will turn.

We have a resale company that we are very pleased with, but when these guys tried to scam an elderly person, I thought it was worth looking into and sharing the info.

jusaf

Reaction score
Anyone know how to get a refund to their "Marketing Fee"? I was dumb enough to fall for their scam. I followed all of their procedures listed on their website. Funny, they don't return emails or phone calls. If I happen to get a live person on the phone, I get some song and dance about how only a manager can approve the cancellation but that the manager is out and will call me back. Never happens. Is this something that can be fought with a lawyer? Any help or advice is appreciated.

calgarygary

TUG Member
Reaction score
Anyone know how to get a refund to their "Marketing Fee"? I was dumb enough to fall for their scam. I followed all of their procedures listed on their website. Funny, they don't return emails or phone calls. If I happen to get a live person on the phone, I get some song and dance about how only a manager can approve the cancellation but that the manager is out and will call me back. Never happens. Is this something that can be fought with a lawyer? Any help or advice is appreciated.

Unfortunately you will likely find that the verbal promises do not align with the written contract and what is in writing will rule the day. I would not bother with a lawyer but you might want to lay a complaint with the ag of your state - just don't expect results.

lafogg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't fall for it

Just got off the phone with these shysters!! I knew something was off when I was talking to them. I asked 3 times if they were directly affiliated with Universal Studios. They said "yes". I also said if there is a 90 day guarantee, then that indicates I get something back in 90 days if the property is not sold. I told the rep: Saying 'guarantee' indicates a safety net for me. She said we guarantee to use all our resources and take a loss in advertising costs. :hysterical: Then when I looked up the site and saw M.G.M. with periods, I knew the fix was in. Of course, I checked-in with TUG just to reinforce what I felt was a sham. Glad I found this post.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I'm sure they mean what they say -- "we guarantee to use all our resources." What they don't say is that such a promise is worthless, since their "resources" don't amount to a pile of poop. For some reason, mysterious buyers will suddenly disappear, and they'll say, "Well, we tried." Total BS.

If TUG can save one person from such grifters, it has proven its "weight" in gold.

Last edited:

calgarygary

TUG Member
Reaction score
As this thread has come back, I will give an update to my offer. Not a nibble, email or phone call. If these folks were legitimate, they would have taken me up on my generous offer - after all, they would have made a quick $14K!

ps - I didn't hold my breath.:D
With such an unrealistic selling price for Starwood, why not refund 1000% or 10000% - you will never have to pay as no one can sell at those list prices. I'll make M.G.M. U.T. a deal, this is a great deal. Take my timeshare, give me $7K, according to the claim of your email, you can easily sell it for over $20k. See just like that you have tripled your money. PM me for details but please know, I will not be holding my breath waiting for your response.