• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2008] Successful cancellation of Westgate purchase

Cool_Dad

Reaction score
Well...I finally got my $400 back from WestGate! I sent my letter on September 10, 3 days after I signed the contract, and I got my refund back into my account on September 22.

I also found out I DID get my contract, which I previously stated I did not. I got a letter from WestGate indicating my account had been cancelled. There was a number on the letter, so I called and inquired about the contract. Come to find out there is a "secret" pocket closed by velcro on the inside left of the binder that holds all the paperwork. The pocket is completely hidden. Their reason is in case the buyer looses the binder. So there is a contract, and a cd with other paperwork on. I say they are trying to hide the contract so the buyer can't find the 10 day rescission period. Glad I'm smart enough to have found that information out without a contract.

Thanks for the help and encouragement. I'm out of a contract, and save myself $8900, more like $19000 after making payment for 10 years.

Cool_Dad
Norman Earls

miss_guided

Reaction score
THANK YOU TUG!!!! I join the ranks as yet another Wastegate almost-owner, saved from the catastrophic clutches of eternal misery and wasted money!! Your extensive posts and information regarding Wastegate and rescission rights saved me just in time, thank you!

I went on a work trip to Orlando the week before Thanksgiving, and brought my kids along for some vacation time. I got suckered into attending the timeshare presentation at Westgate Lakes, yadda yadda, no need to go into detail on high-pressure sales tactics, and signed myself into a contract. (For those keeping track of TUG-life saving-statistics...$1K down payment on credit card, followed by $100ish monthly payments for every other year rights, every other year maintenance fee of $600ish. Total mortgage: $8000ish with a dandy 17% interest rate!!). The only slight catch was that my official membership was at Westgate Vacation Villas not Westgate Lakes, and it was an owner trade-in or something, hence the screaming deal!! Lol. Oh...and the only other difference, according to my bff saleswoman, was that there were swan paddle boats instead of regular paddle boats. Ok.

After hours of paperwork, the closing officer, another bff, mentioned something about the CD being long and boring etc...and I watched as she packed all kinds of brochures and paperwork into the fancy binder. I was so worn out that by then that I didn't pay too much attention to what was being stuffed where in the binder though.

Then I got home and started reviewing everything, and boy was I excited to start planning vacations! I was quickly realizing it wasn't actually a great financial investment, more of a lifestyle investment :D But then I started reading about slimy Siegal and thinking, yuck I don't want my money going toward that dirtbag. And then I looked up my actual unit, which is a supposedly floating unit, but found pics of the actual buildings and it was like Miami Vice re-runs straight from the 80s. Huh? That's what I'm paying for? No way. Started reading all kinds of consumer complaints etc. Sinking feeling in stomach, what did I get myself into?!

And then I found this forum! Hallelujah! Thankfully I had the long Thanksgiving weekend to do research and stumbled across all the info about rescission rights on Friday night. I hustled up a rescission letter, thanks to the many suggestions here, and dashed off Saturday morning to get it notarized and mailed via certified return receipt. Exactly 7 days after signing the contract. Whew!! Close one.

And yes, that lengthy contract and boring CD was stuffed in the super secret pocket that I never would have found on my own. I kept thinking, jeez I remember signing a million documents, where are they? All I could find in plain sight was the deed, which I think is some sort of psychological ploy..."yay, I'm a real estate investor! Hooray for me!" while the rest was hidden away. And yes, once I found the contract, the rescission instructions/address were very clear and easy to follow.

I mailed everything on 11/30, and tried not to stress while waiting to hear back. I finally called the Westgate Owner's number on 12/13, and the nice lady said yes, everything had been received, my contract had been canceled, and my down payment had been refunded. I checked my credit card account and did not see the refund, but it showed up a few days later. On 12/21, I received 2 phone calls and an email from my bff closing officer, stating I needed to call her immediately because my account was still open and the legal dept. was about to charge me some fees, and only she could help avoid those fees, and she really wanted to help me! I never called back, especially since my down payment had been safely refunded already (minus the $50 for the fancy binder etc. Rather than spend money on postage to mail it back, I kept it as a souvenir and concrete reminder not to be such a gullible sucker! And it is a pretty snazzy binder). After that day, I haven't heard anything from her. I also received a letter from Westgate stating my contract had been canceled right around then. Case closed! Major sigh of relief.

After the whole experience, I'm still really intrigued about timeshare ownership, but I will do much more research and find a company with more integrity. Thank you TUG! Three cheers and a happy new year to you all!

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I LOVE it when a plan comes together! Congratulations, and Welcome to TUG. If the idea of timeshare still appeals, stick around and read (a lot) you will find a lot of people who are happy with their timeshares (mostly resale buyers). Look into the various 'mini systems', exchanges, and don't forget the Lounge.

You'll find us a mostly pretty friendly bunch who truly LOVE our vacations.

Jim

miss_guided

Reaction score
Thank you so much Jim! I will definitely check out all the resources and shared experiences here, it's so nice to find such a friendly and helpful community! And yes, I'm definitely still excited about timeshares so I'll be spending time on here gleaning info from everyone here. Thank you :)

pacodemountainside

TUG Member
Reaction score
Warms the cackles of my heart when I see post where TUGGERS have saved potential victim of Westgate Demons from TS Hell.:cheer:

As your post clearly documents, Sea-Gull will do anything to get money to finish his super mansion!:(

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
So good to hear these success stories! :D

I've heard a lot about these binders with the 'secret' pockets and would love to see where they are in the binder some time. Just curiosity I guess.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
I got suckered into attending the timeshare presentation at Westgate Lakes, yadda yadda, no need to go into detail on high-pressure sales tactics, and signed myself into a contract.

Just out of curiosity, what bait did they use to lure you into the sales presentation? How long did the "90-minute" presentation actually last?

Last edited:

pacodemountainside

TUG Member
Reaction score
Last time I was there got "owner's card" which included a couple breakfasts, mid-week BBQ, other discounts and $39.95 WIFI fee waived. Plus four $60 tickets for $50.

I insisted body snatcher circle and initial 1 & 1/2 hours. Sales woman threw a hissy fit when I stood up after time was up and phone alarm buzzed. Some one else took us to gifting.

miss_guided

Reaction score
Trust me, my heart is warmed too...since I was able to escape their evil clutches in time!

Yeah, the secret pocket is on the left-hand side of the binder, and there are some regular smaller pockets that are in plain sight. Then there is a slim strip of velcro on the inner lining part, and you pry that open to find the contract/docs inside. It is definitely not obvious or in plain sight, and you really have to know what you're looking for to find it.

They had a little kiosk on Intl. Drive, where they were offering discounted tickets to Disney etc. I already had my tickets, so they said they would give me $75 cash plus free breakfast for my family, plus free shuttle rides to Disney. And I fell for it!! Good learning experience in any case :)

miss_guided

Reaction score
I don't remember how long the actual sales presentation was, because at some point it turned into signing the purchase paperwork. The whole experience was long and drawn out though! I love that Paco..(forget the rest of your username) set the time and got up and left. I almost want to attend a presentation again, more wiser and cynical this time around, and have some fun with the salespeople..refute their figures, etc. Or not!! ;)

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can we somehow better expose the infamous Westgate "hidden binder pocket"?

<snip> ....the secret pocket is on the left-hand side of the binder, and there are some regular smaller pockets that are in plain sight. Then there is a slim strip of velcro on the inner lining part, and you pry that open to find the contract/docs inside. It is definitely not obvious or in plain sight, and you really have to know what you're looking for to find it. <snip>

Since this deceitful Westgate ploy is well established and repeated with some frequency, perhaps the infamous "hidden pocket" description (as highlighted in blue above) should get its' own very own TUG "sticky" for easy discovery and retrieval by unsuspecting others in the future. Better still would be an uploaded photo, with an arrow inserted to identify the location of the hidden pocket access point.

We've seen too many Westgate buyers on TUG initially claiming to have not received a copy of their signed contract. When we've overtly, specifically mentioned the "hidden binder pocket" (and the legal requirement to have been provided with a contract copy), many still claim to not have it and / or not be able to find it. Some return later to belatedly admit that they had finally discovered the hidden pocket (and their signed contract copy and rescission rights and instructions contained therein).

IMnsHO, Westgate is quite simply lower than whale excrement on the ocean floor. :annoyed:

Last edited:

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Trust me, my heart is warmed too...since I was able to escape their evil clutches in time!

Yeah, the secret pocket is on the left-hand side of the binder, and there are some regular smaller pockets that are in plain sight. Then there is a slim strip of velcro on the inner lining part, and you pry that open to find the contract/docs inside. It is definitely not obvious or in plain sight, and you really have to know what you're looking for to find it.

They had a little kiosk on Intl. Drive, where they were offering discounted tickets to Disney etc. I already had my tickets, so they said they would give me $75 cash plus free breakfast for my family, plus free shuttle rides to Disney. And I fell for it!! Good learning experience in any case :)

Yes, thanks for the description of the 'secret pocket.' I've just read so much about it over the years and how so many never noticed it until too late (or never)--very creative packaging to say the least.

Reaction score
Hi to all, to bad i got to know this page only now...
I bought a westgate timeshare at town hall center last november 2009 and i would like to cancel this contract can someone help with how to do so... What are the procedures???
My friend knows someone who said they can cancel out timeshares even after the rescission period if misrepresentation has happened. I'll pass that information along tomorrow once I get it!

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
My friend knows someone who said they can cancel out timeshares even after the rescission period if misrepresentation has happened. I'll pass that information along tomorrow once I get it!

Oh, yeah. THAT sounds credible. These outfits- specifically Wastegate, but not them exclusively, have whole rooms full of lawyers writing those contracts. Trust me, the contract states that verbal promises are not valid. The only binding statements are contained in the printed and signed contract. Where is this 'misrepresentation'? We can hardly sleep, waiting for the information on cancelling a contract after the rescission period has expired. WOO-HOO!

Jim

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh, the anticipation...

Be still my heart! Your first post on day 1 of your TUG registration leaves me breathless with anticipation! :rolleyes:

You might want to at least consider that among the TUG members and quite sizable populace here, there are probably several centuries worth of collective, first hand timeshare knowledge and experience.

You might also want to at least consider that there are more than a few experienced timeshare owners here who are also experienced attorneys, some quite familiar with contract law, others quite knowledgeable about state contract rescission rights and applicable statutes. By the way, I also have good reason to believe that at least one (maybe more) of the aforementioned possess considerable experience in criminal prosecution.

In essence, "timeshare secrets revealed", if you are considering presenting a song and dance routine here, you might find yourself performing before a tough audience. Just sayin' --- maybe forewarned is forearmed?

I for one will certainly look forward to seeing your alleged "information" regarding the great and wondrous potions and pixie dust which somehow make legal and contractual obligations just magically disappear. :D

Last edited:

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
A useful thread soiled by the appearance of a shill for an upfront "recovery" scamner

boinsc

Reaction score
hi my family and I purchase a time share with west gate as well and I changed my mind that night. I sent my cancelation letter but didn't know that I needed to send the owners manual back ,I tried to give it back when I went back to the resort to tell them I changed my mind ....(where they tried there best to change it back )....How long did it take to hear back from them and get your refund . They should have received it with in 6 days of my signing
thanks

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
No "one size fits all" answer available...

hi my family and I purchase a time share with west gate as well and I changed my mind that night. I sent my cancelation letter but didn't know that I needed to send the owners manual back ,I tried to give it back when I went back to the resort to tell them I changed my mind ....(where they tried there best to change it back )....How long did it take to hear back from them and get your refund . They should have received it with in 6 days of my signing
thanks

If you submitted a written cancellation to the proper address and did so within the time period allotted by applicable state law (rescission / cancellation time period varies from state to state), then your cancellation will be processed.

Your refund of deposit, however, could take up to 45 days, although it will likely occur within 2-3 weeks.

Know in advance that Westgate has no obligation to provide you with any other form of notification or confirmation. They must, by law, process your cancellation and fully refund your deposit. No more, no less.

ajh24

Reaction score
I got sucked into consigning on a villa in orlando with my mom. She's supposedly the primary on there and I'm not responsible (that's what they told me) but I realize now that's bs and I'll be held responsible. It's been 3 months so the 10 days isn't an option. Am I able to get out of the contract if I'm not the primary?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I got sucked into consigning on a villa in orlando with my mom. She's supposedly the primary on there and I'm not responsible (that's what they told me) but I realize now that's bs and I'll be held responsible. It's been 3 months so the 10 days isn't an option. Am I able to get out of the contract if I'm not the primary?

If you signed the contract, you are just a responsible as she is...

ajh24

Reaction score
Let me clarify, is it possible for just me to terminate the contract without her doing the same?

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
Let me clarify, is it possible for just me to terminate the contract without her doing the same?

If there is a loan then there are likely two separate issues. One is the financed timeshare with a bank. The other are the ongoing maintenance fees with the hoa. Either way, the only way to legally terminate a contract is an agreement between both parties to the contract. They already have you legally obligated. There is no benefit whatsoever to them to release you. That is unless your mom agrees to "upgrade" by paying thousands more to them.

luvtravellin

Reaction score
Still within my rescission period..

First off thank very much for this forum site. Im sure you have helped thousands of people and saving them from miseries. My story: My hubby n I bought Westgate TS on 6/08/14. We were so attracted with d law enforcement discounted price 13000 for 2BR,1wk,floating,$700every other year maitenance fee and $159 eoy tax. We opted not to pay the fees yet so we cant use our TS til 2016 but our monthly payment will start 7/8/14! I asked our sales agent at that time re cancellation in case we changed our minds and he said we cant cancel it cos it's deeded. Im glad I found that secret compartment in the leather binder thanks to you guys!! I sent our cancellation letter 6/11/14 express priority certified with return signature & receipt USPS and I also sent 1 thru fedex. MY QUESTION is I read somewhere in the thread that he had his letter NOTARIZED. I didnt on mine, should I send another one thats notarized? Please help..

csxjohn

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
First off thank very much for this forum site. Im sure you have helped thousands of people and saving them from miseries. My story: My hubby n I bought Westgate TS on 6/08/14. We were so attracted with d law enforcement discounted price 13000 for 2BR,1wk,floating,$700every other year maitenance fee and $159 eoy tax. We opted not to pay the fees yet so we cant use our TS til 2016 but our monthly payment will start 7/8/14! I asked our sales agent at that time re cancellation in case we changed our minds and he said we cant cancel it cos it's deeded. Im glad I found that secret compartment in the leather binder thanks to you guys!! I sent our cancellation letter 6/11/14 express priority certified with return signature & receipt USPS and I also sent 1 thru fedex. MY QUESTION is I read somewhere in the thread that he had his letter NOTARIZED. I didnt on mine, should I send another one thats notarized? Please help..

It should not be necessary. Do what it says on what you found in that secret compartment and you'll be fine. I'm glad you found us.