• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

(2007 thread) Shell Vacation Club (SVC) Points Knowledge thread

Rumpled

Reaction score
Anyone know of a repository of SVC property layouts?
It would be helpful when trying to request a unit or building etc.
(Not sure that works at all)

On recent stays at Desert Rose in Las Vegas and Legacy in Phoenix we've been given small (business card size) maps that have resort layouts.

Having not seen anything like this on the SVC website got me wondering.
Anyone got maps?

I'm going to try and scan the ones we have, though they have been marked up.

oceanvps

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am interested in opinions on this situation.

Home Clubs are both Hawaii, I'm assuming contracts were combined but I'll check this later, if not combined would that mean I would get 4 hskp instead of two? One Anniversary Date

Contract1
Conversion of a Kona property at the Kona Coast resort - 2500 points (permanent)
Contract2 2225 points is RTU (Right to Use) 204~.

Maintenance 1144

I want to be able to have one account (one or two contracts) have access to all the points to make a reservation and hskp.

Are there any problems that you can think of with this set-up? (having a two contract account).

In February at Kona Coast how many days would I be likely able to book with approx 5000 points?

If I put the t/s in my name and I died my husband/heirs would have the option of not inheriting this t/s correct? If I put the contract in my name only and my hubby was the one going on the vacation are you allowed to designate a guest name? is there a fee? or do they record spouse name for convenience on the reservation?

Thanks

Picker57

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think most, if not all, of your concerns are addressed pretty well on the Shell website. Are you an SVC member - I'm guessing that you are if you already have points (I think the "information architecture" on the website sucks, but it's all there.....somewhere).

What does 5000 points get you at KKR in Feb? Probably a really nice 1BR - but it's easy enough to borrow points from the next year if you desire more.

----Zach "I Luvvvv Hawaii" Kaplan

oceanvps

TUG Member
Reaction score
No, i'm not a member yet, i'm trying to figure out if i want to buy.

I didn't think that svc site would give me info about combining contracts from conversions and then resale. I'll go back there and check.

Rumpled

Reaction score
I'm not sure about the combining with different types of points, if you can; it will save you $ on the MF w/o having to pay the club fee and RCI fees (going to II in 2012) twice.

Here's the point chart for Kona Coast that includes February.
5000 points would get you a week in a 1 BR
Unit type - Friday or Saturday - Thursday or Sunday - Monday-Wednesday - Weekly

1BR 800 750 550 4750
2BR 1100 950 750 6350
PH21B 950 850 650 5550

Here's the link to the SVC points chart from earlier in this thread
Shell_Vacation_Club_2009_Points_Chart.pdf

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I bought 3 hawaii contracts and had them combined without problem. They all defaulted to the anniversary date that fell the latest in the year...In my case October.

I don't know about the different types of contracts but do know different types have different reservation windows. I can reserve my home resort (any of the hawaii locations) at 12 months (min of 7 nights) and fewer nights at 9 months.

Some contracts can reserve home resorts at 13 months.

I had no problem getting an oceanfront 2 bedroom on Kauai at 12 months but they go fast because there are only a few. There is no problem reserving other views.

Rumpled

Reaction score
OK, I have scanned copies of layout maps of three resorts that I have visited recently. They are pdf's.
Is there any way I can post them here for others to see?

Bishop71

Reaction score
Shell Vacation changing exchange companies

First I'd like to say THANK YOU for all of the great information. We were in Kauai last week and bought a timeshare in the West Club, from the Resort. Since then, I've been feverishly doing my due diligence to make sure we didn't just waste our money. After reading up on timeshares, Shell Vacations, RCI, reading this thread, and talking to support at Shell, I'm utilizing my Right of Recision (7 days to cancel from the time of signature), and we're looking into resale, instead. I think the cons of resale are far outweighed by the approximately $10,000 we're going to save off retail price.

I've read MUCH of this entire post, but not all the most recent info. That being said, if this is old news to everyone, I apologize... But I just spoke with Shell this morning, who informed me that January 2 they are switching exchange companies from RCI to II. Since I've done all my due diligence around RCI, I need to now do my homework on II. I just thought it was kind of dicey for the sales rep to plug all the benefits of RCI, knowing they were switching in January. In a follow up phone call with her, directly, she apologized and explained that until they receive their II "training" on January 1, they are not authorized to discuss the change that will take effect January 2, because they are still "in a contract with RCI". Of course she proceeded to say that II would be much better, etc.. Maybe so. Just wanted to share some information that you guys may, or may not, already be aware of. Again, if it's in an earlier post, I apologize for the reiteration!

Picker57

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hmm.....interesting that your Shell purchase in Hawaii was posted to the West Club - seems like it would normally be considered the Hawaii Club. Was it an option for you?

Congratulations on doing some intensive diligence and rescinding. There are LOTS of Shell points being given away on eBay. We wish WE had bought resale but have still enjoyed our Shell properties (Hawaii Club) very much. It's unfortunate about the RCI / II timing, but I imagine the Shell sales staffs are in a bit of a pinch over that right now. I don't view the sales people as inherently evil - they're in a tough business and the ones we've met (with one exception) have been pleasant and professional.

It would be nice to be able to do some "information mining" regarding II. I went into their website but couldn't seem to find out anything without logging in with a property (or maybe I was misreading it). Does anyone have compare/contrast observations regarding II?

Mahalo,

Zach

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Welcome to TUG. Glad you found us.

You need to definitely rescind that purchase. I got my points free on eBay, and I am going to give most of them away, partly because of the switch to II.

If I get more Shell Points, I will only get Hawaii club to stay at the Beachboy, ocean view. I can still get my California ressies with the Hawaii points.

I understand why you got the West Club. Proximity to home. We are in Thornton, north of Denver. We love California, specifically Anaheim and San Francisco/ Napa.

Reaction score
I went to a presentation yesterday...

The lady was really nice and the program seems good. Obviously you need to read all the fine print and all that. My question pertains to the program that is new apparently. If you book your vacation in 30 days or less before your actual trip, like a last minute travel deal you can buy a week for 700 points or $375 or something like that. Has anyone taken advantage of that offer? And if you purchase on the resale market would you be able to use the offer? They said it is unlimited and ANYONE can use it ie: family and friends, really anyone. And if they change to II instead of RCI..is II better?

The point's don't excite me as much for some reason. I think because if we were to buy in at the 1400 point level (resale), we would need to save up 2 years or so to have enough points to do any kind of cool vacation...adding up 2 years of MF's, that doesn't seem like a great deal mathematically. But if I was able to take advantage of the last minute travel deal then I wouldn't be so against MF's. Also, I most likely would never use Shell's actual resorts, I would pretty much exchange all my points. Is there a different company I should go with? One last question...My hubby and I like to cruise a lot, is there another company that has better deals with cruises? She couldn't give me any example of a points value on cruises. Thank you all for the great info!! :)

sdgaskill1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Shell Vacation Club Point System

We owned 2 weeks, deeded, in Hawaii when Shell took over management. They began marketing the point system, taking over the lovely activity area owners had enjoyed for years and turning it in to a sales office. As far as we know, that is still the case. This angered us and many owners. One couple fell for the sales pitch, turned in their deeded week and paid for points, and when we saw them a few years later, had been unable to return to their home resort, due to its high demand, using their points. We began investigating and found that SVC had access to about 35% of the weeks at Kona and the rest were deeded. We decided to hang on to the deeds. Turned out to be a great decision as our weeks sold quickly when we decided we had enough of travel to Hawaii and the changes at our resort.':hi: We have since had presentations from Diamond, and they told us they can't take our deed. If we want to trade in their system, we book our deeded week each year and put it in their system in exchange for their points. Of course there is a charge to do this. Seems to make sense if your timeshare is for frequent exchanges. We always bought where we preferred to travel so weren't really interested in exchanges. Now, 20 years later, our needs have changed and glad we have deeded weeks to sell Points seem to be different in each system so quite limiting to us. S. Gaskill, Tucson,AZ

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
The more points you own, the cheaper they are. 1,400 points is too few to be cost effective. We own 12K. There is a fee for RCI and Shell in the initial 1,350 points, then you pay a flat rate of under .17 per point, or thereabouts.

We bought all resale.

The switch to II is not a good one for me at all. I was using Shell to get RCI Points vacations that would cost me dearly with my RCI Points:

118K for DVC summer or other peak times for a 2 bedroom. Also our favorite Hawaii resort in prime time is about the same # of points. My cost is over 1 cent per point, so about $1,280 + exchange fee.

With Shell it was < $900 for a 2 bedroom (4,500 Shell Points) + the exchange fee. A big savings for me. I am bummed.

Picker57

TUG Member
Reaction score
With Shell it was < $900 for a 2 bedroom (4,500 Shell Points) + the exchange fee. A big savings for me. I am bummed.

I'm curious......did you have pretty good luck getting the place of your choice out of the Shell/RCI scenario? The total of aprox $1080 4500 points plus exchange fee) for a 2BR unit isn't bad - probably equal to or less than the maintenance fees for most 2 BRs on the Shell points chart. We just never had a lot of luck getting into non-Shell properties (well, we really only tried a couple of times and then cancelled the search on one of them). SFX, in contrast, has been pretty nice as far as getting us exchanges. I'm wondering how II will be; I'm guessing they have a points trade program similar (ie. flat rate 1-2-3BR points chart) to RCI's (?).

-----------Zach

Picker57

TUG Member
Reaction score
"Trust, But Verify"

I bought 3 hawaii contracts and had them combined without problem. They all defaulted to the anniversary date that fell the latest in the year...In my case October.

I don't know about the different types of contracts but do know different types have different reservation windows. I can reserve my home resort (any of the hawaii locations) at 12 months (min of 7 nights) and fewer nights at 9 months.

Some contracts can reserve home resorts at 13 months.

I had no problem getting an oceanfront 2 bedroom on Kauai at 12 months but they go fast because there are only a few. There is no problem reserving other views.
Regarding the 12-month reservation window in the Home Club, it's advisable to verify whatever you're told verbally. We're trying to set up a week at The Cliffs for late next year, and was informed by the Shell desk that I could only make it at 10 months or less. Even though my membership is Hawaii Club, somehow The Cliffs, because it isn't a Shell-owned property, didn't fall into that 12-month window. This was not what I wanted to hear.

I then went into the "contact us" area of the SVC website and asked about this. According to 'Patrick', that's all bull dropping; it IS 12 months. At least that's the opinion du jour. I've had inconsistent information from the Shell desk in the past as well. A few weeks ago, however, I spoke with a 'Tom', and he was quite helpful.

BTW, I'm pretty sure that the 13-month window is just for 'founding members', people like us who had a deeded week at a certain property and then converted to points (yes, it was (sob) pre-Tug retail).

Best to all,

Zach

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Shell West (AKA California) Club fees for 2012 use:

Club fee: $151.50
First 1,350 points: $320.97
Addititional points: .1643 per point

We own 12,225 points and our fees are 2,107.73 + $151.50 for the club dues = $2,259.23. Kind of annoyed with an automatic service fee of $3.00. There is a voluntary ARDA fee, which I will not pay.

Also, I see no option to pay via credit card. For bills due at Christmastime, the credit card option is helpful.

Picker57

TUG Member
Reaction score
Also, I see no option to pay via credit card. For bills due at Christmastime, the credit card option is helpful.

Actually, there is. At the top right of the statement - the box that says "Membership Account" - it gives instructions for online payments. Go to http://my.equiant.com. Also, you can pay through the Shell-10 desk.

Aloha,
Zach

Last edited:

Picker57

TUG Member
Reaction score
Shell West (AKA California) Club fees for 2012 use:

Club fee: $151.50
First 1,350 points: $320.97
Addititional points: .1643 per point

We own 12,225 points and our fees are 2,107.73 + $151.50 for the club dues = $2,259.23. Kind of annoyed with an automatic service fee of $3.00. There is a voluntary ARDA fee, which I will not pay.

Gotta ask....How did you find the fee breakdown shown above? I just spent a bunch of time on the SVC website and couldn't find that information. We're in the Hawaii Club, and it seems like our fees run a bit higher....but I'd like to know the details. Granted, I'm a technodolt, but I'm still finding the SVC website to be mostly self-aggrandizing crap with the real information hidden in obscure corners.

Thanks for any tips you can provide.

Zach

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Gotta ask....How did you find the fee breakdown shown above? I just spent a bunch of time on the SVC website and couldn't find that information. We're in the Hawaii Club, and it seems like our fees run a bit higher....but I'd like to know the details. Granted, I'm a technodolt, but I'm still finding the SVC website to be mostly self-aggrandizing crap with the real information hidden in obscure corners.

Zach

I got my MF bill in the mail today. REALLY disappointed I have to pay by check. I don't know how I will do that this month. :eek: Next month I can do it, but not this month.

shellboy

TUG Member
Reaction score

Zach

You should have recently got your MF statement. The breakdown is in the attached letter/financial statement, but I will repeat the details.

Shell Hawaii

Club Fee $151.50
First 2000 points $555.25
Remaining points $0.1644 per point
Service fee $3.00
ARDA fee (voluntary) $3.00

Can be paid by credit card.

Last edited:

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Really? Where did it say you can pay via credit card?

Picker57

TUG Member
Reaction score
[/FONT][/SIZE]
It doesn't say 'credit card' specifically, but the online payment IS by credit card. I've paid mine that way the last 3-4 years.

Shellboy - Thanks for the breakdown. In one of my infrequent "clear the desk" frenzies, that was the sheet I tossed without really looking at it.

Mahalo,
Z.K.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It doesn't say 'credit card' specifically, but the online payment IS by credit card. I've paid mine that way the last 3-4 years.

Wonderful!

shellboy

TUG Member
Reaction score

You pay online by credit card through www.equiant.com

If you don't have an Equiant customer account, you might need to call Shell directly, but you can pay by credit card. You can also make a partial payment (1-2 months) and pay the remainder later if that works better for you ($3 service fee for each additional transaction - no late fee as long as you stay current by month).

kinupiaq

TUG Member
Reaction score
Shell's Kona Coast Resort Phase II is looking a little ragged these days. Was there for a week in December 2011. Have been going there for 20 plus years.
Suites at Fisherman's Wharf, a remodel, is very nice, but onsite parking is limited. Shell has switched from RCI to Interval as of January 2012.