• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

1 night in Maui ..which resort to go?

elleny76

Reaction score
Thinking to go 2 days/ night to Maui.
1.)We have a 6y/o which resort is the best for kids?
2.) where to go for fun in maui with a child?
3.) Staying in Waikiki @ Hiton lagoon ..How can we get to maui? airport in maui? looking for $$best_inexpensive way to get there.

Thanks so much

thanks

Last edited:

2disneydads

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you really want to go through the trouble of flying to Maui for such a short time? Why not go to the Ko' Olina area of Oahu. Same island/different experience. The Marriott resort is great, but your 6 year old might like Disney's Aulani. Save the airfare and spend a little bit more on a room there.

If you do want to go to Maui, we've gotten good fares and good service on Island Air. Larry Ellison owns it. I don't know the Westin resorts yet, but the Marriott Maui Ocean Club is an amazing resort.

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am one of those who always does two islands when I go to Hawaii. However, I would not add Maui for just one night. The location of airport makes for a long drive. Cost of flight and rental car would pay for a nice hotel, in a different location on Oahu. Possibly Turtle Bay?

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
FYI, check-in at most resorts is 3-4pm. Checkout is 10am (Starwood resorts) to noon, though most will give you day privileges to use the pools the day you check in/out. My point is to not fly to Maui at 10am and expect to check in. You probably won't be able to check in til 3 or 4.

FYI, there are exactly two activities on the Hawaiian islands that I believe are worth the expense and hassle of making a day trip: #1 is the Pearl Harbor attractions. #2 Volcano on Big Island.

While Maui is my favorite island, I don't think there's anything that is such a must see that I'd pay to fly my family there for one night. It offers nothing that is so special that you can't find it to some degree on the other islands, including luaus, hiking, snorkeling, surfing, cold chilling at a fabulous pool. Rather than pay $600+ in airfare, I'd just as soon check into Aulani for one night, or book a private tour or catamaran for just my family, or swim with the dolphins, etc.

However, if you're set on your plan, I'd either head to Hana (3+ hours to get there) and stay at the former Hotel Hana and body surf at the black sand beach nearby, or I'd head to the Fairmont Kea Lani or Grand Wailea and enjoy the heck out of their pool. But, man, that's a lot of time and trouble to swim at a resort pool.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with all those that have posted about a one day visit to another island. Short of viewing the lava flow on the big island, I would prefer to do something special on whatever island I'm on. They are all unique and worthwhile. It just takes way too much time to move around. You will lose more than a whole day flying to another island and coming back to where you started. Essentially you have 4 transfers to an airport, plus two check-outs and two check-ins. Check-outs are typically by ten and check-ins typically at 4.

I usually go to Maui for a week or two and to another island for a week or longer. I like visiting more than one island. However, you have to have lots of time to spare. Otherwise, a deeper exploration of a single island is worth much more than moving between them. Leave the other islands for your next trip!

elleny76

Reaction score
Hi & Thanks... We will be in Hawaii for 2 weeks. 5 days at Hilton lagoon and 9 days @ Aulani_Disney.

Was just thinking while we were in Waikiki to go another island for 1 day but I think I might have to plan it for our next trip. Someone in the form just advice me to go and see the volcanos in a different island. (sound cool)

Do you really want to go through the trouble of flying to Maui for such a short time? Why not go to the Ko' Olina area of Oahu. Same island/different experience. The Marriott resort is great, but your 6 year old might like Disney's Aulani. Save the airfare and spend a little bit more on a room there.

If you do want to go to Maui, we've gotten good fares and good service on Island Air. Larry Ellison owns it. I don't know the Westin resorts yet, but the Marriott Maui Ocean Club is an amazing resort.

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

elleny76

Reaction score
Thanks Lisa! Maui is out until our next trip in couple of years. Once I am in the Island I will look into the volcano_Big Island trip. Sound like a cool idea.
(I will be collecting as much info about the Volcano_ big island to have it handy just in case I decided to go for 1 day.)
We will be also in Aulani for 9 days .

Thanks ya'll!

[QUOTE="LisaRex, post:

. #2 Volcano on Big Island.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
Thanks Lisa! Maui is out until our next trip in couple of years. Once I am in the Island I will look into the volcano_Big Island trip. Sound like a cool idea.
(I will be collecting as much info about the Volcano_ big island to have it handy just in case I decided to go for 1 day.)
We will be also in Aulani for 9 days.

If you do opt to go and want convenience, there are day trips to Volcanoes National Park from Oahu. However, they aren't cheap! Just do a Viator or TripAdvisor search.

However, you can do it on your own for much cheaper if you book your own flights. Hint: Fly in and out of HILO, not Kona. Kona is a 2-3 hour drive from VNP. Hilo is about 40 minutes away. Rent a car from Hilo airport and drive the 35-45 minutes to VNP. Very doable for a day trip, though you'll probably want to spend the night and see the lava at night...assuming you can see it at night now. (The volcano has a mind of its own, so check conditions before you go @ https://www.nps.gov/havo/planyourvisit/lava2.htm )

We stayed at Aloha Junction B&B which was very reasonable and right outside the national park.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
We like Hyatt Kaanapali and you can use the time share next door