• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

1 BR units at Nanea

rubbernyc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WPORV
WKORV-NN
Bella
Hello,

I've been looking at availability at Nanea from January (2018) all the way into May and do not see any 1BR units. I mostly get 2BRs and occasionally a 3BR units. Anyone else have any luck?

KevSki

TUG Member
Reaction score
When we were in Maui last year, they told us there are few 1 BR ( I think 40 or something like that) and those won't be available until spring/summer. But that was last year FWIW

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
I understand the same as KevSki. The number I heard was 43. This is one of the issues at Nanea if you want to stay longer than a week. Not only don't they have lock-offs, but 1BR availability will likely always be tight.

rubbernyc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WPORV
WKORV-NN
Bella
Thanks for the info. I guess the 1BR units will be along once the second phase of the resort is completed.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
Last week I spoke with someone who works at Nanea and he mentioned that the 1 BR units are not yet complete. Perhaps a call to the Nanea could give you an idea when they will become available.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
We went to a presentation there today and they steered us away from the 1 bedrooms saying we would be
better off with a 2 bedroom every other year. That makes sense now if the 1 bedrooms are not yet available. They were low pressure and even held our offer for us for 2 days which was impressive. We are staying at the Hyatt Residence Club and they were willing to wait until we went to our presentation here. Of course we would not buy from a developer anyways but we were still impressed. Beautiful resort

farsighted99

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Nanea (Maui)
I bought a 1-bedroom (81,000 options) and I haven't had any luck getting availability either. I'm banking this years options to next year and getting a 2-bedroom in 2018 (taking the kids). Someone on another thread said they were told on a user-update tour that there were 250 units, and only 12% are 1-bedrooms. And they are in the back. And I was told they are still building them. 12% of 250 is 30 units. Plus Westin has them available online. So the people who bought into these 1-bedroom units are competing with Westin Hotels (who are renting them out at like $599/night), and waiting for the rest of the units to be built (I'm assuming the buildings are up, just they have to complete the rooms themselves).... Meh.

Last edited:

ValleyGirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WNOR-3BR OF ANN WK #52
WNOR-3BR OF ANN WK #1
WNOR-3BR OF ANN WK # 2
WRMV-2BR ANN SKI
WRMV-2BR ANN SKI
WRMV-2BR ANN SKI
WSJ-3BR WK #26 (Jul 4th)
Interesting, we also could not find any SO units.
However, we just booked 1BR for 7/21 - 7/30 with SPs:thumbup:
Since VSE "owns" most of the units/points they are most likely renting for SPs or Cash whenever they can.:(
Since it is hard to rent close to arrival date (due to limited AL seat availability), I find it interesting that they don't put some units in "Option" Inventory

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I bought a 1-bedroom (81,000 options) and I haven't had any luck getting availability either. I'm banking this years options to next year and getting a 2-bedroom in 2018 (taking the kids). Someone on another thread said they were told on a user-update tour that there were 250 units, and only 12% are 1-bedrooms. And they are in the back. And I was told they are still building them. 12% of 250 is 30 units. Plus Westin has them available online. So the people who bought into these 1-bedroom units are competing with Westin Hotels (who are renting them out at like $599/night), and waiting for the rest of the units to be built (I'm assuming the buildings are up, just they have to complete the rooms themselves).... Meh.
I think this post says it all. You only bought enough Home Options for a 1BR unit. But you really don't own any specific type of unit at all. Given that there are only 30 1BR units at build-out, you will also be competing with all the 2BR unit owners for those units as well who are wanting to save options to use somewhere else, or even try to book stays longer than on week in a 1BR.

farsighted99

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Nanea (Maui)
I think this post says it all. You only bought enough Home Options for a 1BR unit. But you really don't own any specific type of unit at all. Given that there are only 30 1BR units at build-out, you will also be competing with all the 2BR unit owners for those units as well who are wanting to save options to use somewhere else, or even try to book stays longer than on week in a 1BR.

Honestly, that wasn't what I had in mind when I purchased this place. I wasn't told about the availability being low. I know I only have options, but the impression I got was I'd be able to book something in a 1-bedroom in 2018 (bought into this almost a year ago); haven't really seen anything available. I see availability in other properties but I don't really want to go to those every year. I would definitely not recommend purchasing options for a 1-bedroom at Nanea.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Honestly, that wasn't what I had in mind when I purchased this place. I wasn't told about the availability being low. I know I only have options, but the impression I got was I'd be able to book something in a 1-bedroom in 2018 (bought into this almost a year ago); haven't really seen anything available. I see availability in other properties but I don't really want to go to those every year. I would definitely not recommend purchasing options for a 1-bedroom at Nanea.
I would agree. It seems rather disingenuous of Vistana to sell options in a number consistent with booking 1BR units and then not make them available to people to book and instead listing them for rent. I suspect they find it easier to rent out 1BR units instead of 2BR units, but there are people that bought 81K HomeOptions expecting to be able to book a 1BR. I suppose availability may change, but if they are now renting them for cash, why are there non available with HomeOptions? I call foul.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
It seems rather disingenuous of Vistana to sell options in a number consistent with booking 1BR units and then not make them available to people to book and instead listing them for rent.

The units that are for rent are not from the owner's inventory - they belong to Vistana. This is standard practice.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
The units that are for rent are not from the owner's inventory - they belong to Vistana. This is standard practice.
That very well may be. But without actual deeded weeks, who really owns what? Vistana owns a bunch of Home Options and the owners own a bunch of Home Options. This is different from weeks where it was very distinct as to who owned what. There is really nothing stopping Vistana from booking 100% of the 1BR units every year and putting them up for rent as long as they control enough Home Options to do so.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
There is an accounting system that clearly defines who owns what - even with Home options.

There is something stopping them - the rules state that they cannot confiscate unreserved owner's inventory until 60 days before check-in. However, with inventory that Vistana owns outright, they can do whatever they please with it.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
This may be just the tip of the iceberg.

If Vistana has mis-estimated the ways Nanea owners will be using their FlexOptions, this problem will only get worse over time. Selling 81000 FlexOption packages should be a pretty good indicator that the owner intends to reserve one bedroom units. If the "flexibility" of a 148100 FlexOption package includes the ability to reserve a one bedroom unit for 13 days at the twelve month mark (which it does), there needs to be more one bedroom units available than 81000 FlexOption packages sold. Apparently this is not the case. The inflexibility of the development (no lockouts) makes it a tough problem to solve -- perhaps an impossible problem to solve.

So in addition to the "usual" reasons not to purchase developer (price, voluntary resort, etc.), Nanea offers a new reason: one may not be able to reserve what one thinks he purchased.

Caveat emptor.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
There is an accounting system that clearly defines who owns what - even with Home options.

There is something stopping them - the rules state that they cannot confiscate unreserved owner's inventory until 60 days before check-in. However, with inventory that Vistana owns outright, they can do whatever they please with it.
I don't disagree. There is an accounting system that indicates how many Home Options Vistana owns and have sold. However, what is less clear is who is actually able to reserve what. Vistana may likely still own 81,000 x 52 x 30 = 126,360,000 Home Options. They could effectively book 100% of the 1BR units for the entire year and put them up for cash rent. It is within the rules.

Another issue as pointed out in the last thread, Vistana could sell 3,000 81,000 Home Option packages, but there are really only 1,560 1BR weeks available in a year. The whole thing turns in to a shell game.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That would be fraudulent - Yes, I firmly believe that they manipulate everything they can in their favor, but I don't believe they are committing outright fraud. YMMV

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
That would be fraudulent - Yes, I firmly believe that they maniulate everything they can in their favor, but I don't believe they are committing outright fraud. YMMV
There is nothing fraudulent about it. 81,000 HomeOptions can be used to book a 2BR for four nights. They aren't selling actual weeks and units. Everything is conveyed as points and points blur the lines.

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
There is nothing fraudulent about it. 81,000 HomeOptions can be used to book a 2BR for four nights. They aren't selling actual weeks and units. Everything is conveyed as points and points blur the lines.

This is completely correct. The problem is not what Vistana is selling; they are selling points to be used within a specific view category at Nanea. The problem is that they don't have the right inventory to support the "flexible" use of what they are selling, in this case, one bedroom units.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm sorry, but it just isn't logical to state that Vistana would book all of the one bedrooms and rent them, so that people who bought 81,000 Staroptions could not book 1 bedroom units.

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
There is an upside to this Nanea situation, although not for Nanea owners. Because 148100 FlexOption owners can "trade down" to one bedroom units during the 8-12 month reservation period, but 81000 FlexOption owners are less likely to use their points to reserve a two bedroom unit for four days (which is what they can get with 81000 FlexOptions), there is likely to be available two bedroom inventory at the eight month mark for StarOption traders.

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
I'm sorry, but it just isn't logical to state that Vistana would book all of the one bedrooms and rent them, so that people who bought 81,000 Staroptions could not book 1 bedroom units.

Logical, no. Legal, yes.

That is the difference between weeks and points; with points, you don't own anything specific so you have no guarantee.

I agree it is stupid of Vistana to do what they are doing -- especially during the first year people can use their new purchases.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I am not saying it is logical, but it is possible. We have yet to see a single report of 1BR availability using StarOptions. Have we seen any 1BR getaways available in II? No 1BR II exchanges or sightings reported so far. I think the main problem for those few 1BR units that owners can book is that the 81,000 Home Option owners are competing with all the 148,100 Home Option owner as well.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I just don't think that this is the cause of the low availability of one bedrooms:

- Only half the one bedrooms have been built at this point.
- The resort has very few one bedrooms (12% ?)
- All Nanea owners can book one bedrooms with home options - not just the people who bought 81,000 home options.

I agree that this is poor planning on Vistana's part - but it wouldn't be the first time that they came up with an unworkable marketing plan.

Last edited:

Markus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WLR, WKV, WDW
So far this thread has proven to me that one should own weeks rather than points. I too have been at a Nanea upddate and while the benefits of points, in terms of flexibility is definitely part of the pitch, the sales force uses the standard configuration of 81K and 148k to bundle the sales. One has to be truly alert to identify what has been revealed in this thread. I would be very disapointed to learn that I could not book what I thought I purchased. This is especially the case for the 81K buyers, as typically its a stretch for them to make the purchase at the entry level.

Markus