• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Reservation Change from Lagoon to Grand Islander

Maverick1963

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Flamingo
My trip to Oahu is scheduled next month and I was satisfied with my reservation for Gold season Lagoon Ocean front worth 7,000 points. But as you know, availability moves around within the one month window. I was kind of expecting Penthouse cancellation. That didn't happen but I found GI 2br premier luxury available (ov unit on 27-33F).

I noticed that GI units would not show up when I tried to change my reservation of Lagoon tower. But they did on the open season chart. I ended up with calling up customer service and was able to change my reservation. I was told that GI reservation is made in a different system. That may be the reason why GI availability is not included in the process to change my Lagoon reservation. Vacation Counselor told me that I had a new reservation number because my original reservation was canceled and a new one was made for GI. Just for clarification, there was no fee for this change.

I used all my 7,000 points for this year and borrowed 2,440 from next year to get 5 nights @GI from Monday. For Saturday and Sunday nights, I booked Lagoon Tower 2br penthouse for $490. It will be first time to use both Lagoon Penthouse and GI. My wife and my sister-in-law couple would be very happy with this arrangement. I am very looking forward to this coming stay and so pleased to have washer/dryer in the room for five days. Also I have a good reason to use Hale Koa Parking.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Yes the system will not let you change reservations online. This is for both the grand islander and hokulani. It was explained to me because of the different booking periods 9 months vs 6 months.

Sometimes i get a knowledgeable rep and they will do it no problem. I have had reps tell me not able to book grand islander or hokulani because i was out of the 6 months window. Others have told me that no rooms were available. Two days ago i had a rep insisting that i had to pay another $59 booking fee because the only way to change from lagoon to grand islander was to cancell my existing reservation. I asked to speak to a supervisor at that point.

Glad your first time you had a veteran rep that knew what they were doing!

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Yes the system will not let you change reservations online. This is for both the grand islander and hokulani. It was explained to me because of the different booking periods 9 months vs 6 months.

Sometimes i get a knowledgeable rep and they will do it no problem. I have had reps tell me not able to book grand islander or hokulani because i was out of the 6 months window. Others have told me that no rooms were available. Two days ago i had a rep insisting that i had to pay another $59 booking fee because the only way to change from lagoon to grand islander was to cancell my existing reservation. I asked to speak to a supervisor at that point.

Rtams

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Seaworld, Wyndham Panama City Beach
My trip to Oahu is scheduled next month and I was satisfied with my reservation for Gold season Lagoon Ocean front worth 7,000 points. But as you know, availability moves around within the one month window. I was kind of expecting Penthouse cancellation. That didn't happen but I found GI 2br premier luxury available (ov unit on 27-33F).

I noticed that GI units would not show up when I tried to change my reservation of Lagoon tower. But they did on the open season chart. I ended up with calling up customer service and was able to change my reservation. I was told that GI reservation is made in a different system. That may be the reason why GI availability is not included in the process to change my Lagoon reservation. Vacation Counselor told me that I had a new reservation number because my original reservation was canceled and a new one was made for GI. Just for clarification, there was no fee for this change.

I used all my 7,000 points for this year and borrowed 2,440 from next year to get 5 nights @GI from Monday. For Saturday and Sunday nights, I booked Lagoon Tower 2br penthouse for $490. It will be first time to use both Lagoon Penthouse and GI. My wife and my sister-in-law couple would be very happy with this arrangement. I am very looking forward to this coming stay and so pleased to have washer/dryer in the room for five days. Also I have a good reason to use Hale Koa Parking.
You won't be disappointed with the Grand Islander - we are staying here currently in 2BRPremier. and rooms great layouts, so far the nicest HGVC we have stayed at. If you are driving take the ramp that says Valet to get to check-in (on second floor) it's the ramp just after main entrance to Hawaiian village - signage is pretty poor.

jestme

Reaction score
I'm sorry, I'm confused here. I thought we just went through the colossal mess of a brand new reservation system, 4 years after the Hokulani opened and 2 years after they started building the Grand Islander. Surely they would have taken those reservation requirements into account when they re-built the system wouldn't they?

Maverick1963

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Flamingo
Thank you for all the comments. I look forward to the coming visit.
I believe HGVC should have better management. I wrote to them once
to request annual fee reduction so that all IT investment should be covered
out their profit. At least, webservice interface is getting better. Let's hope
further improvement.;)

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)

Interesting...Thanks for sharing.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)

My goodness... thanks for the tip

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Hope it works out for you, I wouldnt have given up a Lagoon OF premier week for less nights and more points.

You made someone happy that picked up your cancellation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Maverick1963

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Flamingo
SmithOp, I understand what you mean. I have stayed in the Lagoon OF unit. If I just consider point and cost performance, Lagoon OF can be a winner with a very good chance.

This time, I thought ...

I have never stayed at the Lagoon PH and GI is brand new. And these two particular reservations get rid of my concern - on which floor we will be assigned. It just happens to be a gold season and I needed fewer points. Availability of the two units matched my scheduled week perfectly. I borrowed some points from 2018 but I should be able to book a 1 bedroom for myself next year as well. Additionally I already have one week 2br reservation @Lagoon for my son next February. All in all, I did not mind giving up Lagoon OF and paying a bit more for new experiences. I just look forward to seeing what will happen out of this.

Just for your information, when I canceled my OF reservation, there was vacancy for the unit and it is there still now, 12 hours later. Now I don't find 2br PH for my dates but 3br PH is available. GI 2br premier luxury can be booked at the same timing. After the trip, I will share what I have felt.

Last edited:

Maverick1963

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Flamingo
For your further information, I tried to change my GI reservation. If I switched to "Honolulu Hawaii"
for broader screening, the chart showed availability at other resorts. So looks like ... if we want to change
our existing reservation to GI, we will have to call customer service.

Maverick1963

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Flamingo
Eventually, Lagoon Tower 3BP came out for seven nights from Oct 14.
It is sitting there more than 48 hours.

For me this time, Grand Islander is a better choice despite of more points required.
There should be someone who could change his/her reservation to this 3br OF penthouse.

It's only 7,000 points. An excellent bargain.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Eventually, Lagoon Tower 3BP came out for seven nights from Oct 14.
It is sitting there more than 48 hours.

For me this time, Grand Islander is a better choice despite of more points required.
There should be someone who could change his/her reservation to this 3br OF penthouse.

It's only 7,000 points. An excellent bargain.
Dang didnt see the 3br last night. 3br is great as long as you get one of the corners. If you get the 2br with the studio right next to elevators that is a loud room.

Maverick1963

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Flamingo
I logged on with a different browser and still see the vacancy on the open season chart.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
I toured GI earlier this year. Really nice, especially those penthouse rooms. As I recall, they were asking $500k/week for the top one! And almost all the fixed weeks were sold already.

Maverick1963

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Flamingo
I toured GI earlier this year. Really nice, especially those penthouse rooms. As I recall, they were asking $500k/week for the top one! And almost all the fixed weeks were sold already.

csodjd, thanks for your comment. I look forward to my stay. I have always given it a try when a new resort is built.
I experienced Kohala suite a few months after the opening. While I have not stayed at the following Big Island
expansion, I used Waikikian at an early timing. My wife, not me, found Hokulani very convenient three years ago.
It is a very natural choice for me to try GI this year. Fortunately, this time, I am with my wife, and her sister with
her husband joins us. We have not told them about these accommodations. It will be quite a treatment for them.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
I think I probably would have made a similar decision and switched over to the Grand Islander. I like Lagoon tower, but its always fun to try something new. So far most of the pictures i have seen of GI, particularly the higher floors look great.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
I think I probably would have made a similar decision and switched over to the Grand Islander. I like Lagoon tower, but its always fun to try something new. So far most of the pictures i have seen of GI, particularly the higher floors look great.
If I was a billionaire, I'd have bought one of the penthouse rooms right then from Hilton. For, like a month. <g>