• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Nights available vary by stay length?

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm fairly new to MVC points so I'm wondering if what I'm seeing is usual/correct or if there is a glitch?

When I use flexible search and say I want to stay 5 nights at a particular resort I am given the option to check in Saturday, Monday, Tuesday, Thursday or Friday of a particular week.

But if I edit the search and change the number of nights I plan to stay availability changes- for example if I search 1 night I only get availability on Tuesday or Friday. It varies how ever many nights I choose- I can't check in Saturday for 2 night for example.

The room size and views are the same throughout.

I was told one of the benefits of the MVC was being able to choose the length of stay. Why does availability vary when I vary the length when I know the rooms are there?

Last edited:

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Strange. Which resort?

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
So you do think this is a glitch?
There's not some catch in the MVC rules that says this will happen?
It was grand ocean next spring.
I haven't done much exploring to see if it happens elsewhere, it would take luck to find a similar situation so I thought I would ask here.

catharsis

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have certainly seen this in force around NYE in certain locations (Grand Chateau if memory servers - one can probably verify this quite quickly now if anyone cares to...)

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have certainly seen this in force around NYE in certain locations (Grand Chateau if memory servers - one can probably verify this quite quickly now if anyone cares to...)

Thanks.
It's tricky to confirm because you need to find someplace where only certain days of a week are available and then compare allowable check in dates with different stay lengths.

My real purpose for posting was to see if I misunderstood how MVC points worked.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
It happens relatively often when the resort has few rooms left to reserve. You might get availability for each of 5 nights in a row when searching for single nights, but no availability for a 5-night stay covering these same nights. I was told that it is usually because they cannot give you the same room for 5 nights due to the pattern of the existing reservations. That seems logical to me.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
It happens relatively often when the resort has few rooms left to reserve. You might get availability for each of 5 nights in a row when searching for single nights, but no availability for a 5-night stay covering these same nights. I was told that it is usually because they cannot give you the same room for 5 nights due to the pattern of the existing reservations. That seems logical to me.
I think the OP's situation was reversed. It was saying he could check in on a day for 5 nights but not on the same day for 1 night.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score

Fasttr is correct
My situation was reverse of your example BocaBoy
Available for 5 day stretchs but not by the single night
Perhaps it was a glitch

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Fasttr is correct
My situation was reverse of your example BocaBoy
Available for 5 day stretchs but not by the single night
Perhaps it was a glitch

I had the same exact experience booking a points reservation for next spring a couple weeks ago. I had a three night (Fri-Mon) booking for next April at HHI Harbour Point, but was looking to expand to a full week. Harbour Point was not available for the extra nights, so I started shopping around some of the other HHI resorts. When I came to Grande Ocean, there were gaps in the availability when searching by single night during the week I was looking for, but when I searched for a full week with a Friday check-in, it came up as available for the 7 night stay. Since I first had to cancel the Harbour Point reservation to book the new reservation without borrowing 2019 points, I had to call in to actually book the reservation, but the VC was able to book the same 7 nights at Grande Ocean for next April that I had seen online, even though I would not have been able to book a string of seven, one night reservations.

I don't recall which days were unavailable as single nights during that Friday - Friday string, but my assumption was maybe MVC was restricting single night bookings for nights with a very limited number of units left, to preserve the ability to book a longer stay without breaking a longer string of available nights in a particular unit. I meant to post the same question as Pamplemousse did, but almost immediately thereafter got embroiled in the cancellation of my September exchange to Grande Ocean and never got around to posting my April booking experience.

catharsis

TUG Member
Reaction score
so we know this is happening.

But is it supposed to be happening? Have MVC the legal authority to do this sort of thing? if I have points and I want to book a night ("use my ownership privileges") should Marriott be able to deny me that privilege because they would prefer to give it to someone else at a later date?

In a practical sense, incidentally I have no real issue with it as I presume once can simply book the nights and then cancel any nights which are not needed without penalty :) - but ass a theoretical points it irritates me somewhat as the simplest and most reliable way to see any inventory should be a 'one-night search' and anything which interferes with that seems unjustified to me.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
so we know this is happening.

But is it supposed to be happening? Have MVC the legal authority to do this sort of thing? if I have points and I want to book a night ("use my ownership privileges") should Marriott be able to deny me that privilege because they would prefer to give it to someone else at a later date?

In a practical sense, incidentally I have no real issue with it as I presume once can simply book the nights and then cancel any nights which are not needed without penalty :) - but ass a theoretical points it irritates me somewhat as the simplest and most reliable way to see any inventory should be a 'one-night search' and anything which interferes with that seems unjustified to me.

Excellent point.
I often search single nights for many reasons.
Either I want to see what's out there before I elect a week to points to have enough for my stay.
Or I'm not sure if I have enough points for a full week so search a night rather then look up a chart.
Or I want to conserve MVC points and book some nights that was and some cash or rewards points.
Or I'm flexible on dates.
So it the single night search is not representative of what is really available that is a problem.

I wonder if this is unique to HHI?
And yes the big question is should this happen?