• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Flying from Tijuana question

bellesgirl

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We are going on a cruise we lands in San Diego. Unfortunately there are no flights leaving late enough from SAN which get us to Puerto Vallarta the same day. A friend mentioned flying from TIJ airport.

My first question is, has anyone flown Volaris airlines? The reviews are not great but people tend to write negative reviews more often than positive ones, so I have to weigh that. Also, what is the easiest way to get from the Port of San Diego to the CBX crossing into Tijuana. It looks like I could Uber. Again, has anyone done that?

We could stay overnight at the San Diego airport and just check in a day late to our timeshare, but if I can avoid that, I would prefer it. Any and all comments or suggestion are appreciated.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Check this website: https://www.crossborderxpress.com/node/1

"CBX is an enclosed pedestrian skywalk bridge exclusively for Tijuana Airport passengers who cross the U.S./Mexico border as part of their trip."

We haven't used this but plan to give it serious consideration in the future. I checked the prices for some flights to Cabo in November out of Tijuana (pretty sure it was Volaris) and they were almost $200 cheaper per ticket. There is a pretty substantial tourist tax on flights between the US and Mexico. You don't have that on flights within Mexico.

Last edited:

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Interjet - Volaris _ Viva Aerobus / are the 3 lower cost Mexican airlines compared to AeroMexico

2 years ago we flew Viva Aerobus from PV to Mexico City - new plane & good experience and price .< about $65 USD one way( in pesos ) >
one late afternoon flight per day
Viva has very specific luggage / weight to ticket price details & if you show up with an extra suitcase - it will cost $$$

I would read the wikipedia article on Volaris to get an overview update .

All 3 are doing the ( 1980's /90's ) Southwest / Jet Blue type of thing (ie new routes and lower cost fares ) to the growing Mexican middle class . They also have no problem with use by value driven tourists .

Last edited:

PStreet1

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
If you Uber to the border, you cannot cross the border. You will have to get out and use the pedestrian entry--and haul all your luggage, up stairs.
Do not take Uber in Tijuana: Uber drivers are currently targets of the cartel-controlled taxi union, and some have been hospitalized, and some have been killed. In Tijuana, take the safe route and use the taxis. There is a new bridge to the airport from the U.S. Check into whether you could take an Uber across it and directly to the airport. That might be entirely feasable and perfectly safe.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
From the cruise terminal to CBX is about $50 for Uber XL. There are CBX shuttles for $10/person, but they pick up at Santa Fe train depot, about 2 blocks from the cruise terminal.

CBX costs about $15 each way per person over the border to the airport.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
So to use the new Tijuana Bridge to the Airport:
1. Fly to San Diego.
2. Take Taxi or Uber to USA Side of the Bridge.
3. Pay to use Bridge.
4. Make sure you do this early enough to clear USA and Mexican Customs to catch flight to final destination in Mexico.
5. Do all this in reverse when you return.
6. Is this worth all the effort.

For Patti and I:
1. Leave PDX.
2. Arrive SJD.

m4travels

TUG Member
Reaction score
We use Volaris quite frequently. We will be doing something similar to the OP as our cruise ends in San Diego and our closest home airport is in Leon, Guanajuato. We've used CBX going back to the states and it is fantastic. Hoping for the same as we return home. You can add the CBX crossing to your Volaris package at the full $16 rate or one can purchase it online for a discount (I think it was about $12 online the last we used it.) I didn't know about the CBX shuttle and had planned on Uber/Lyft but the shuttle will work out perfectly.

bellesgirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Looks like standard size carryon eg 22" is considered a medium bag and an extra cost. Has that been your experience?