• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Casa Dorada special assessment!

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
well this is certainly an all new low...but if its gone on this long they must be having some success in convincing owners its not optional :(

Maple_Leaf

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Dunes
Hapimag
Hey look on the bright side. At least when the Mexicans levy a special assessment they give you a bonus week in return. Canadians would charge an assessment and give you bupkis.

Martha83

TUG Member
Reaction score
Last year I called thinking I had to pay it, but was told that it was optional. I, of course, said I was not interested as I do not need another week. They have strted calling again...guessing that is what they want again.

ANPK

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Casa Dorada Medano Beach
I was told that we can bank the bonus week we get with the assessment through interval. Has anyone had success with this yet? I am skeptical to pay and then not be able to bank it as I can not use the bonus week before it expires

aleacim

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
GBS Casa Dorada
Wait, they told you the special assessment has been waived?! They're still calling me! I've been ignoring the calls after talking to somebody that the special assessment is NOT mandatory. I happen to pick up the call this morning and when i mentioned that that is what I was told, now they're saying it is mandatory and it's in the contract. I refuse to pay and said that I'm experiencing financial hardship. I was looking here in the internet of what other members think and that's how I came across this forum.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Several years ago RVC did something similar. But their Head Office was in Texas. I think one of their main problems was they hate to do the day to day management and maintenance. (This was very obvious when WYN took over Management of a number of RVC Properties and bought parts of those Resorts. Park City - WYN bought 10 of the Condos and out them in the WM. We stayed at Park City in a WM Unit abou a year after this all happened. The Head Maintenance Guy told us the WM Units had all been refinished and were in a lot better shape that the RVC Units. Also a lot of the common areas were still in need of major maintenance such as Iron Fence Supports rusted out and spa need a complete redo. There was also a side deal in which RIC sold some Prime Real Estate to WIN. The current location of WYN Park City.) So this was normally contracted out. RVC had a falling out with whomever had the Contract and there was a lot of maintenance that was not done. So the "Special Fee." Those that paid got the Bonus week. Those that did not had their Accounts suspended. Then the Law Suit was filed in the USA. The end Result was the Attorneys made a bunch of money, the Accounts were unsuspended and those owners got a Bonus week. Those that had paid got an additional Bonus week or Two.

Mr Hawkeye

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Casa Dorada Medano Beach, and Grand Mayan
We had an existing reservation(Nov 2017) at Casa Dorado Medano beach before they came out with the assessment. We bought our odd-year week when the resort was under construction.The calls have been non-stop regarding paying the assessment. However, when I went to the resort website it appears that they are renting one bedroom suites for $384/night to the general public. So why should I pay for upgrading the place for the general public to use. Looking at these posts and given their marketing of the resort I don't think they can force me to pay.

Dalownerx3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just got another email saying I haven't paid my special assessment. Looks like they are tightening the screws.
Are there anybody out there who haven't paid yet?

Dear Member,

This message is to inform you that the deadline to pay the Special Assessment fee is September 30, 2018. Our records indicate that you have not yet paid the Special Assessment and claimed your additional bonus week. Please keep in mind that you will not be able to book reservations from this account until the Special Assessment is paid.

We greatly appreciate your cooperation in making the remodeling project a success.

We look forward to hearing from you soon!

Regards,

Casa Dorada Medano Beach
Member Services Department
1-877-436-7232

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Casa Dorada
I have never paid the Casa Dorada special assessment since there is no provision in the contract about it. Today I tried to book my timeshare and they refused to make my reservation. I think it is time for a class action lawsuit against them.

Mika

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Casa Dorada at Medano Beach
When did they say that it has been waived? They still want me to pay it. They froze my week use, they won't even let me deposit it to Interval to be used elsewhere, unless I pay the special assessment fee for 2016.

aleacim

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
GBS Casa Dorada
I have never paid the Casa Dorada special assessment since there is no provision in the contract about it. Today I tried to book my timeshare and they refused to make my reservation. I think it is time for a class action lawsuit against them.

May I please know what latest action (or lack thereof) you've done? So why pay the annual maintenance fee, if they froze your account anyway?