• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Investigating HGVC

Torman

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Stormy Point Village
I am new to the forum and have been investigating HGVC. My family really enjoys vacationing on Hilton Head Island and I nearly bought points from the developer at Ocean Oak. I have been searching for points on the resale market but with the resort being relatively new I have not found any yet. If I buy Ocean 22 points what are the fees involved with booking Ocean Oak?

mdrobnak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Maui Bay Villas 1BR Plat 14.8k pts
Welcome to TUG! Good job on doing better than I did with avoiding developer points. :)

You will have a 9 month out window to book at somewhere other than the resort you own at. This then incurs a $59-79 reservation fee ( I don't remember the exact number), but that's it, as long as you have enough points. You can also borrow points from the next year after the reservation for free.

Hope this helps.

-Matt

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Torman

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Stormy Point Village
Welcome to TUG! Good job on doing better than I did with avoiding developer points. :)

You will have a 9 month out window to book at somewhere other than the resort you own at. This then incurs a $59-79 reservation fee ( I don't remember the exact number), but that's it, as long as you have enough points. You can also borrow points from the next year after the reservation for free.

Hope this helps.

-Matt

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
Thank You.

Does it matter if I buy points at another HGVC outside of the State of South Carolina as far as the fees or booking window?

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
If you book your home resort as a "home week" reservation there is no fee.
You get an early (12-9 months out) booking window, but the rules are strict.
Many of us (me included) don't book home weeks becuz it is so inflexible.

You may only use points allotted for the year (no saved/borrowed points).
You may only book the same size (class) and season as the TS you own.
You may only check in on the resort's stated day for weekly stays.

Using points from a different resort to stay in a TS where you are not an
owner, i.e. a "club" reservation, invokes a 9-month booking window & fee.

Last edited:

Torman

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Stormy Point Village
If you book your home resort as a "home week" reservation there is no fee.
You get an early (12-9 months out) booking window, but the rules are strict.

You may only use points allotted for the year (no saved/borrowed points).
You may only book the same size (class) and season as the TS you own.
You may only check in on the resort's stated day for weekly stays.

Many of us (me included) don't book home weeks becuz it is so inflexible.

.[/QUOTE

Thank You.

So if I buy Ocean22 with the intention of using it at Ocean Oak I need to find points with the same season and Size Unit? From what I was told Ocean Oak only features 2 bedroom units.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
"So if I buy Ocean 22 with the intention of using it at Ocean Oak, I need to find points with the same season and Size Unit? From what I was told Ocean Oak only features 2 bedroom units."

The members' website has a feature for "club" bookings, distinct from home-week
reservations. For the price of a club booking ($59), you get much more flexibility:

Any number of days (3d min), any size, any season, any days of the week, using
saved, current or borrowed points. ...IMHO, that's almost too easy not to use.

Last edited:

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
I will add, if you are booking a club reservations (at < 9 month window) then points are points. You can use your points from wherever to book what is available such as Ocean Oaks. As you know, Ocean Oaks is very new. It just opened to club reservations in January of this year. I don't think there would be any resale yet available at Ocean Oak. Ocean 22 in Myrtle Beach is also relatively new but may have very limited resales at this time. If your desire is Hilton Head and of course don't want to paid developer's price then I would suggest that you purchase the lowest cost resales in Hilton system with lowest MF (maintenance fees).

I will also say that Ocean Oaks seems to be very popular and there are only 66 units at this time (I think that only 62 units are in the HGVC system, two are sales units and two are for hotel bookings) With limited availability, you should still be able to get a reservation if you book when the 9-month window opens (it will be also better if you are flexible).

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
In addition, I will say ... take your time. Continue to investigate and ask questions. Resales will be there when you are ready. In fact, the best time to buy is towards the end of the year, because MF for most properties are due at the beginning of the year and HGVC doesn't seem to exercise on ROFR as often.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
In addition to all the good advice already given, if you do plan to buy points to use simply as points, i.e. at the 9-month window to use for "Club" reservations then since "points are points" it makes sense to look for places with lo yearly Maintenance Fees (MFs). Low buy-in is good as well, but the MFs may weigh higher over time.

With that said, various Las Vegas properties are attractive on the resale market for this reason.

Cheers.

Torman

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Stormy Point Village
Thanks for all the good advice.

Once I find a contract how long does it take to go through the Rofr process?

topdog

TUG Member
Reaction score
Bay club, an affiliate, has a cheap buy in price and does not have a right of first refusal.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Typically, HGVC has 30 days after notice of a sale in which to decide ROFR.
If the price is too rich for them, they may issue a waiver in 2-3 weeks.
At least, that's how it was with us.

Orlando & Vegas typically give you the best points to MF ratios.
MF's are determined at each resort by size, not season...
Thus, a same-size unit gets more points per MF$ in a high (plat) season than in a low (silver) season.

Last edited: